Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gnarwhalrus's Comrade

Questionable Wrangler

What do you think constitutes as proper behavior when you've received stuff from dumpster dive?
I've gotten a couple of thank yous (which aren't really necessary) but recently some a** hat GIFTED me one of the caches I put into the dumpster.
Has anyone thanked you for the junk you put in dumpster dive?
Do you think its necessary to even acknowledge the fact that you got something from someone?
And finally, does it seem like people genuinely think that they're going to get good items from dumpster dive?

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I don't DD often but I've started drawing little doodles for people I draw items from and sending them.

I like to say thank you but I don't really think it's necessary when I put something in. I tend to dump hundreds of items at a time into the dumpster (usually from Loyal's because goldsink+giving people stuff = awesome) so if I got a thank you from everyone I'd be a bit overwhelmed.

I do get extremely upset when someone sends me a rude message. I used to dump caches occasionally (started with like ten) but then people would send rude messages. I got a bit petty and started to throw in 1000 of them every single time someone sent me a rude message about it...and then I'd gift them a 100 pack.

I don't do that anymore, it's not worth it and the dumpster is already flooded with caches.

Noble Newb

21,125 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I kind of like that actually, put junk in the dumpster, get it gifted back to you. yum_pie

Let's be honest, I know we all like to think we're being 'nice' by dumping a bunch of cache's into the dumpster, but mostly we're just too lazy to get rid of them otherwise. With inflation the way it is these days, most caches are less than trash (although at least unopened caches have potential).

I know we're all opening tons of caches these days for fusion charms, but personally I just click the Trash button on the trashable caches (which is all of them except gold and platinum last time I tried), and then donate the rest.

No point in cluttering up the dumpster with junk and feeling like you *did something good*.

Dangerous Hunter

14,200 Points
  • Alchemy Level 7 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Hive Mind 200
So many jerks who put caches in the dive emotion_8c

I'm gonna try that gifting back the caches thing

Shade

16,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Devin 200
  • Punk Patrol 250
i don't really send any correspondence tbh
whenever i put items in there, its stuff i don't want and can't be bothered to sell, so i just want it gone and to forget it
if someone was to message me, i'd probably ignore them, unless they got uppity, then i'd tear them a new.......i dunno, but it'd be new!

Dead Hellraiser

Pemba
I kind of like that actually, put junk in the dumpster, get it gifted back to you. yum_pie

Let's be honest, I know we all like to think we're being 'nice' by dumping a bunch of cache's into the dumpster, but mostly we're just too lazy to get rid of them otherwise. With inflation the way it is these days, most caches are less than trash (although at least unopened caches have potential).

I know we're all opening tons of caches these days for fusion charms, but personally I just click the Trash button on the trashable caches (which is all of them except gold and platinum last time I tried), and then donate the rest.

No point in cluttering up the dumpster with junk and feeling like you *did something good*.

It's a dumpster. It's FOR junk.

stukky's Fangirl

Fairy Type

60,050 Points
  • Cute Monster 500
  • Manchurian Candidate 500
  • Budding Witch 250
it's not necessary, but it's always nice

what always makes me laugh is when I put in a bunch of stuff from loyals - AFKs, OMGs, project recolours, animal items, halos, etc I never get a thank you, but if I toss in a bunch of caches I'm guaranteed to get a ton of thank yous. It makes me feel like despite all the complaining in the forums about cache trolling and etc people would rather have them

Surl E Dean's Fangirl

Invisible Lunatic

23,025 Points
  • NPCon Fanatic 500
  • NPCon Attendee 100
The best bet if you don't want gifts being returned to you (asshat really?) or any communication is to simply make yourself anonymous. That way they have to either destroy it, donate it, open it, or sell on the marketplace.

Personally I don't mind the the private messages but I did put myself on anonymous when I was donating CIs a while back...I didn't want to advertise what I was doing or bring attention to my account unnecessarily.

Greedy Drake

So many entitled people in this thread. OMG i gurts trash in a dumpster omg! I put some nice stuff in there yesterday (100m-500m range), it hasnt reached the top yet though. If someone gifted me back a cache id probably go buy 100k of them and put them in there because im spiteful. xp I had someone give me back a decent item once with no mail, so I dont know what they were expecting maybe they thought it was an accident that I put it in there. Also I dont believe saying thanks is necessary, however if I get no thank-yous for the 100m+ items ill be doing it a lot less often so you probably should if you get an item you actually like.

Slumbering Tengu

What?! People are trashing caches?! gonk
I still love getting and opening caches
in fact I enjoy getting opened caches too

It keeps the dumpster from being empty
and that s**t's free gold (cheap or not)

Anyway I don't send thank yous to the people whos stuff I get
I consider most "thank yous" to be clutter/spammy
I'm sorry but I'm a deleter of "thank you for buying" messages

but I do screencap anything (>500k) that I get
so that even if I sell it I remember who I got it from
I have a folder with DD pull screencaps now
I do appreciate what I get from people, I really do D:

It's really fun getting Loyal's stuff every now and then
I pulled some dark red nitemare minis and a cotton candy d-tail (from the same person)
I was going to sell them but decided to keep them instead because I kinda like them
I pulled one of the gate RIGs and got a really nice item from it once too
my appreciation is the silent kind ninja

Tiny Chibis's Partner In Crime

God Eater

I just kinda sigh to myself when I end up picking up caches. Just a grim reminder I still got over 400 of my own to open OTL.

But if I get something nice I just smile and mentally thank the person for donating it.

As for myself donating, I just put in stuff I don't have use for or I have too many of a certain item. I usually get active around Loyal RIGs when it comes to donating. I don't get any messages like that or the sort, because I put myself on anon for DD emotion_awesome

User Image

Noble Newb

21,125 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Rhea Byrne
Pemba

That's a nice excuse, but what it actually is, is a gift you're giving to a random person. There is a nice big Trash button for junk. yum_pie

Wild Bookworm

Anonymous ninja
It's a dumpster, I put stuff I don't want in there. If someone gets it and doesn't want it, they can throw it back or trash it completely.
I don't really like trashing items. If everyone did that with a particular item, it would cease to exist, although I know that's not likely to happen, but still...
So, no etiquette required.
As for getting complaints, imagine your neighbor going through your trash, then coming to your door to complain that there's nothing there they want lol It's ludicrous.

Dead Hellraiser

Pemba
Rhea Byrne
Pemba

That's a nice excuse, but what it actually is, is a gift you're giving to a random person. There is a nice big Trash button for junk. yum_pie

No, it's for trash. It always has been, and when the dumpster first came out, the trash button was actually removed. It was only put back because of people bitching and moaning.

I don't believe in removing items from the system by trashing them, even if they're 'junk'

Beloved Fairy

34,050 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
I've thanked people before, but I don't think I've ever gotten a thank you. I don't really need one either, it's just kind of interesting.

I know there was a point where people were reporting getting LOTS of nice things from the DD, back when item generators were super common everyday, and so many people flocked to it with the assumption that they would get something nice out of it. As item gens slowed, and more people started dumping caches, attitudes changed as well. I hesitate to call people entitled because they might not like getting caches all the time, but considering it is free, there's not much you can say! I still dive at least once a day, and whatever I get out of it, I find some use for it, whether by selling or collecting.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff