Welcome to Gaia! ::

This is a very well written and very intelligent guide, certainly pointed out a few things for me, a potential fantasy writer 3nodding

Devoted Fairy

12,875 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Survivor 150
eek itz really good....very helpful.
Im so glad sumone pointed out the steroe types for characters!! i love writing bout complexes characters have, and not retelling the small girl story! *dances* also, it does my head in wen two characters find themselves IN LOVE after two days or summit. In the my brain child story at the mo, i have a kinda love triangle, one dark hero (lol, wrong word), one stubborn woman and a cocky young guy. it is LUST not love that leads the girl to concieve a child with the young guy! such a good way of going about it coz it adds a lot of tension!

oh, love the guide btw sweatdrop
You'd better like it. It took me five hours to write. *shakes fist*

heart
I write fantasy, but I don't think it's cliche or boring or anything...I'm actually having a lot of fun writing my stories. ^^
You're my hero.

gonk heart
Yes i like it vieve! lol, i agree with A LOT of stuff, but like JFG i dont find writing my stories boring, and the feedback i get aint half good...so i gotta be doin sumin rite....rite??
This is possibly one of -the- most brilliant things I"ve seen in this forum. It's long, and detailed, and hits -so- many good points. I give you triple thumbs up, and those five hours you took were well used. Good job, you've given me some good food for thought. 3nodding

Excellent.
heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart heart
Oh, don't get me wrong- the Generic Fantasy Story can be fun, but it's not, well, fine literature. It's brain candy. Sure, there's stuff out there that I'd consider the Generic Fantasy Story- I wouldn't touch half of the fantasy section in Borders with a 10-foot pole (excuse the cliche again).

It's less likely to get published if it's Generic, but some of them still are. Having something that stands out as being different will both increase the chances of publication and draw more readers in.

I'm flattered.

Now to go and convince a friend that this rant wasn't aimed at him. >_>
whee Oh I like it. I had to agree (outloud - to the annoyance of my friend) at the end of every paragraph. If only it was manditory that fantasy writers, or those who are possibilties for this genre, have to read this before they begin to shove their work in our faces, demanding that we "r&r!". Oh well, that was fun and a real reminder of what makes a story truely engaging.

Dedicated Seeker

8,200 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Olympian 200
Wow! This is good stuff.
This greatly comforts me because it's telling me that my current project isn't a generic fantasy heart

Playful Gaian

Excellent guide- a worthwhile read. Definately had myself going over my writing techniques and wondering about some certain points.

(A very laundry-distraction worthy guide. *****/*****!)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff