Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Sex Symbol

12,900 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Introduction

So, I consider myself a "world-builder." In my free time, or even sometimes just driving my car, I like to think of ideas for books, videogames, short stories, RPs, or anything else. Sometimes these worlds lead to Plot Lines and I actually have gotten many of my works-in-progress from many of these worlds. When I get an idea, I usually open up a Word document and start "freewriting" just to see where it goes and how far I can develop it.

Now, however, I just wanted to try out a little experiment, partially to see if there are any other "World-Builders" out there. I will list below several themes to use as focus in building your world. Granted a lot of these themes may mix and mash with one another, but so long as the primary focus is the theme you have selected, then that's just fine.

I will also comment on the ideas that are posted here. Possibly add praise or even suggestions to one of your ideas. I will not critique anything negatively however unless it is an idea that is filled with nothing but l33t sp33k and bad grammar, or it is a topic or post that really does not belong in this forum.

I will also not use any of your ideas either. Here and there, I may get inspired by one or more aspects of your world, as I always like to draw from inspiration. I've gained inspiration from many great authors, so if you participate and I get inspired then consider yourself in the same boat as Martin, Rothfuss, Tolkein, Rowling, Goodkind, Adams, Wells, Melville, and countless others in no particular order. I also enjoy drawing inspiration from writing styles and such too, but don't feel that you need to go over-the-top with anything and posting your own mini novel or something. Your posts can range anywhere from 2-3 paragraphs, to 6-7. If you feel that it is too long, however, go ahead and link it. I promise to read every idea that I get.

Finally, I don't want anyone to think this as a chore, but rather something to have fun with. See what you can think of given the themes. Feel free to discuss other posts, other world-ideas. Spread the ideas around and share the love. This should be more freewriting than anything. Who knows? Maybe you'll get inspired enough to expound even more upon your world outside the confines of this thread, develop a plot, and suddenly we'll all find out one day that you have a best-selling novel published out there.

All good stories start out as an idea. Let's see what you can think of.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Introduction - Rules - Themes - Participants

Dapper Sex Symbol

12,900 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Rules

1. As always, respect the Gaia ToS. This should be a given.

2. Pick a theme. If you don't want to choose your theme yourself, shoot me a PM titled "World-Building Project" and ask me and I will randomly assign you a theme.

3. Use this thread to post your world idea, to make comments about other people's ideas, to expound on previous thoughts or ideas, or even to offer advice. I will even welcome an occasional "BUMP" if you want, but if you choose to bump, please only do so once per day. I don't intend for this thread to be a Bumping thread at all, but if you want to bump it to occasionally keep it current, that's fine.

4. Please don't beg for items or gold. The purpose of this thread is not for a contest of some kind. The only things that are to be shared here should be ideas and positive criticism. You want a contest with rewards, there are hundreds of other threads for those.

5. Keep it simple enough. I'll let you decide what "simple" means, but please try to make it more than one paragraph at least. That being said, don't feel like you HAVE to divulge your own Chapter One of your book.

6. Keep it positive overall. You can positively give people criticism without offending them. Don't say things like, "That sucks," or "that would never work." A lot of these will be fantasy or sci-fi ideas. Details can be added later on the physics or mechanics of how an airship flies, or how some species can manipulate gravity. Its possible that some people may want ideas how to describe the way their planet hangs in a fixed orbit, or whatnot.

7. This is what I call the "loose rule." It states to please pick only one theme at a time. If everyone picks the same thing, then there'll be a lack of creativity. Be adventurous, pick a theme no one else has. Pick something that you think will give you a challenge. However, this is a "loose" rule because I won't be exactly strict with this. I'm not one to stifle creativity or anything, so if you feel you really have a good idea that someone else has done already, then go for it.

8. If you feel you want to add a reference image, please add it as a link. The reference image can be your own drawing or art, or it can be an image you saw on the net. If it is an image you found on the net, please be sure your only using it as reference only. Give some details and say things like: "its the same as this but they have blue skin, horns, and wings" or some sort of extra description like that.

9. Have fun. Please just have fun, sharing, commenting, or reading the ideas on this thread. Expand your writing ideas, seek out inspiration, build your own world. The universe is the limit.

10. I can add more rules as I see fit, please don't make a fuss. I promise they won't be unreasonable rules or anything.

Dapper Sex Symbol

12,900 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Themes

Please select one of the following and keep in mind that you have literally free reign with your subject. I will provide some small ideas if you need a starting point, but you can use, all, some, or none of the ideas that I present. Its just to get you thinking about where to begin.

Creatures/Races
Who are your people? What physical traits do they possess? How do they communicate? Are they sentient? How do they live? Can they fly, swim, or dig? Claws, fangs, herbivores?

Ecology
What is the landscape of your world? How is the terrain? Does the land have a major impact on the populace? Is your world even inhabited? Earth-like? Jungle world? Desert planet?

Magic System
What is magic on your world? How does magic affect the people? Does the land influence magic? Are there magical barriers here and there? Is your magic system element-based?

Cosmology
How did the world come to be? How does the night sky look from the world? Do celestial events affect the world? How many moons and/or rings does this world have? Is it a lunar system or a solar system?

Technology
Are they an advanced society? Space-faring? Anti-grav? Steampunk? Modern technology? Post apocalyptic world? Are the people just now learning about technology? Have they known about it for centuries?

Society
How is your world's society structured? What are the social classes? Is there slavery? Is your society a prosperous one? Do you have a merchant class? Are they war-faring?

Bestiary
How do your people treat their animals? What are the non-sentient species on the planet like? How do your people use the animals on your world?

Threats
Is something threatening your people? Another planet? An imminent global catastrophe? Is a nearby Supernova going to eventually wipeout all life? What will your people do about the threats they face?

Religion
What do they believe? Do you have a "Bible" for your race? Are the people based on a religious concept like the Fall or the Apocalypse? Do your people have a Savior they worship? Are there other religions on the world?

Dapper Sex Symbol

12,900 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Participants

These are all who have contributed along with their accompanying theme and page where you can read and discover their world:

Gabriel Noah Alexander--Page 1 Theme Selected: Many different Themes
Lady Zyzzyva--Page 1 Theme Selected: Magic
Lea Fealith--Page 1 Theme Selected: Technology
Cabracan--Page 1 Theme Selected: Threats
Bloorigard2--Page 2 Themes Selected: Magic and Creatures
Dramatica Angeliqua--Page 3 Theme Selected: Religion
Bloorigard2--Page 3 Theme Selected: Religion
The Number Three--Page 4 Theme Selected: Creatures/Races

Dapper Sex Symbol

12,900 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I suppose my idea should be up for anyone interested. Keep in mind that it is a rather large idea and I've had quite some time to work on it. Originally, when I chose to participate in this idea when a friend of mine proposed it to me so long ago, I was assigned a topic that I had no actual choice in. I hadn't even heard what any of the other themes that other people had were either, so all my influences came from me and no one else. I was given the theme originally of Cosmology, but as you will see, I branched out and created a very complex world encompassing most all of the themes in one way or another. The idea is mostly Sci-Fi though, so there isn't any magic influences in any of my societies. At least not that I'll divulge just yet as 1-3 societies may have some magical/supernatural/ethereal qualities that I have yet to reveal. For post length purposes, I won't divulge every detail about each world or people, but keep in mind that I have a lot more details and ideas than the ones I am posting here. That said, please enjoy.

The Tylaran Collective

The first part is the overall setting and placement of the world. It is actually situated on the outer rim of a galaxy in a system that neighbors a nebula. Because of its proximity to the nebula, it is widely believed that the star in the solar system was birthed from the nebula itself.

In the planetary system, there are a total of 6 planets, but the one of primary focus is the supermassive gas giant exo-planet known as Typhos. Typhos has a total 11 moons with the majority of the moons containing sentient life. This makes it a lunar system of worlds rather than a planetary system. Not all of the moons are inhabited, but each has stories of their own. Given their position in their solar system, the night sky on many of the worlds is a full tapestry of color with great diversity.

Because of the large amount of data and information I've created on the Collective, I will break this up into the following few posts here on the thread. This first post of course containing already the information of the lunar system in orbit around the gas giant Typhos, as well as a description of the primary moon of Tylara, or the Prime.
User Image

Tylara aka "The Prime"

Dominant species--The Tylarans are a race of dragon-like, sentient, saurians, winged and highly intelligent. White or silver scaled skin. Capable of flight and are capable of space travel. The head of the Collective itself, Tylara brought technology to the other moons in the system. A very peaceful race overall, the Tylarans are more concerned with the pursuit of knowledge and science and advancing their civilization through their education and technology.
Ecology--Mountainous moon with ranges stretching across the entire world and descending straight into the world’s oceans. Little to no flat land. Warm, tropical climate overall with colder temperatures at the poles and higher elevations.
Technology--Highly advanced world technologically. They brought their technology to all of the other moons in the system. Spaceships, advanced ocean-going vessels and deep sea exploration. Underground machinery and tech.
Society--Their world is peaceful overall with 3 “societies.” The Inner Society consists of those who have burrowed inside the world. They rarely leave the underground cities and dedicate themselves to study, knowledge and the advancement of their species. A very shut-in society, but obsessed with technology.
The Outer Society consists of the space-faring group. They explore and seek to advance their species through exploration.
The Ocean Society consists mostly of the merchant class. They mine the ocean floors and seas and expand the trading empire within the world.
Inspiration--My inspiration for the Tylaran race came from the idea of dragon-humans hybrids. I can picture them somewhat similar to this image here: Tylaran Inspiration
Ignore the human in the foreground and the giant dragon in the background and look at the dragon person in between the two.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Dapper Sex Symbol

12,900 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Destra

Dominant Species--The Destrians are mammalian species, slightly ape-like in appearance. Sentient and very strong and resilient. Tall and fur covered in some areas. No tails. Inspired in part by the Sensoth aliens of the tv show Defiance.
Ecology--Ice World. Snowy to clear weather. The occasional snow thunderstorms are a wondrous phenomenon. Mountainous, flatlands, arctic temperatures.
Technology--The Technology of the Tylarans saved their existence. Their cities are wrapped in force-field bubbles to protect them from the harsh climate.
Threats--Their dying world. Their own pride. They know that one day migration and colonization of another world will be necessary, but they still believe that they will one day be able to jump-start their planet’s core and revive their world.
Inspiration: Physically, the Destrians as I mentioned above were influenced by the simian creatures of the show Defiance however their society is largely influenced by the Viking and Norse mythologies.

Niska

Uninhabited
Ecology--Fiery, lava world. Extreme heat and ravaged by volcanoes. Virtually no atmosphere and virtually unsustainable of any kind of life. Recently however, ancient relics and giant stone ring monuments have been discovered on the moon. This has led to many questions that no one knows the answer to.
Influence--This world was influenced greatly by Jupiter's moon of Io.

Honhe, one of the Night Sisters

Dominant species--The Honhe are an insect-like, sentient species with a very complex language. They are tall and very thin with a tough exoskeleton. Because of the atmosphere, the Honhe, do not rely on photosynthesis. Rather they rely on a process known as chemosynthesis. Because their world is steeped in darkness almost perpetually, the Honhe rely on bio-luminescence to see. In fact, entire cities on the planet are light up in spectacular ways to those able to visit Honhe with the protective gear. The Honhe are very adaptable and a resilient species. They can travel to otehr worlds, so long as they wear specialized tanks of methane hidden and surgically implanted within their own exoskeleton. These tanks only need to hold a small amount of methane in order for the creatures to survive in other environments. Also, Honhe who travel off-world are often surgically implanted with new eyes, or sometimes modifications to their own eyes to automatically adjust to the brightness of other worlds.
Ecology--The moon is covered in a yellowish hue of clouds so much so that the surface is not visible from orbit. The only creatures able to survive conditions are the Honhe.
Cosmology--Honhe is unique in that it has a twin moon nearly the same size and composition. Both planets orbit one another as well as orbit the gas giant, Typhos. Because of the nature of its orbiit, and its position in relation to the other moons, Honhe's orbit around Typhos is extremely slow. Scientists believe that it is due to its unique position in the lunar system and the way that the moons, Typhos, and its Sister planet all pull at its gravitational field. For this reason, both Honhe and Hamhe are nearly always on the night side of Typhos making it almost perpetually dark. Astronomers predict that one day the alignment of the moons will be as such that Honhe and its Sister world will break free of its slow orbit and enter the light side of the planet Typhos. They speculate that the world may one day greatly heat up, the methane on the world causing a sort of greenhouse effect.
Technology--Although their technology isn't incredibly advanced, it does serve to make the world habitable for its people and very beautiful. The Honhe are said to have discovered new ways to use and bend light and the scientists of Tylara believe that they will be the ones to help them discover "faster-than-light" travel.
Society--Their society is very peaceful. Despite their appearance and their strong nature, most Honhe are pacifists by nature. Those who aren't peaceful however, can be extremely violent. Its as if, they can either be one extreme or the other. The violent society however, is believed to be wiped out, although there are rumors that some managed to dig deep within the planet and are as of yet, unknown to the surface dwellers.
Inspiration--These creatures were inspired greatly by the aliens known as "prawns" from the movie District 9. I was also inspired by the deep-dwelling crustaceans and shrimp that are able to live off the deep sea-floor near the hot vents and "smokestacks" of Earth. These creatures are capable of surviving the most extreme of environments imaginable going from crushing pressures and extreme heat to extreme cold with no problem. They also do not rely at all upon the sun and survive off of the chemicals that spew out from the thin Earth's crust.
Finally, inspiration for the moon itself comes a great deal from Saturn's moon, Titan. Many suspect that if there is life on Titan, it exists through chemo-synthesis, a process that is unsustainable to human life. Granted, no one believes that if there is life on Titan that it is sentient, however, speculation exists that there may be forms of bacteria that are able to survive in its methane-rich environment. I just took it one step further by making the creatures bigger and smarter.

Hamhe, also one of the Night Sisters

Hamhe is almost identical to Honhe except that is does not contain sentient life of any kind. There are microbial lifeforms on this planet, but nothing of significant size has ever been discovered on this world. The Honhe, now that space exploration has been brought to them, have considered colonizing their Sister Moon if overpopulation ever gets to be an issue on their homeworld.

Dapper Sex Symbol

12,900 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Mrynna

Dominant Species: Sentient nautiloid creatures that survive in a pure liquid water environment. Physically, they white-skinned with brown accents and are smooth and considered beautiful by many societies. They also have large, patterned shells on their heads and backs.
Ecology: Water world with oceans covering the entire surface. No dry land anywhere on the world.
Technology: Highly advanced almost rivaling that of Tylara. In fact, they made a large contribution to the Collective with the sharing of technologies with Tylara. Although they were completely capable of space travel, they never pursued it openly preferring their own world to that of the outside. They do have satellites in orbit that are used for research and exploration.
Inspiration: Inspired by mer-people in many stories, but chose to base them on the Nautilus cephalopod rather than other deep sea creatures.

Griskoss

Dominant Species: Reptilian humanoid creatures. Wingless and scaled and varied in colors. Most are carnivorous in nature but there are a few rare ones who are omnivorous and supplement their meaty appetites and diet with mushrooms and other fungi collected from caves or from the moisture farms.
Ecology: Desert World. Rain rarely falls except for a few precious moments in history. As for the civilization, large underground aquifers supply the people with much needed water and moisture. Frequently, there are moisture farms in various areas where access to the underground aquifers is difficult.
Technology: Their technology is adapted for survival. They are very good at using technology to their advantage and when the Tylarans brought them technology, they adopted it whole-heartedly. They are fascinated with space travel, but many believe that gifting them such was a mistake as it has made their race overly ambitious.
Threats: Their own pride. They believe that they are perfect and as such should be treated that way. This makes them the villains in many expeditions and stories. They aren’t to the point where the Tylarans consider them a threat, nor are they considered evil, just misguided and in a way, beautifully flawed. They also tend not to get along with the Destrians. They are like fire and ice when put together.
Inspiration: The Argonian race from the Elder Scrolls series, particularly Skyrim.and this image. They are also slightly influenced by the Tusken Raiders of Tattooine in Star Wars.

M-872 aka Yisgra

Ecology: Jungle like and tropical climate. Vacation or Get-Away Resort World.
Society: The society is made up from people from all over the Collective. They are all peaceful here and look at their world as an escape from everything. There is even said to be a society of Mrynnians in the oceans of the world.
Threats: Their own greed, high prices in their economy, and ignorance as to what is going on in the Collective. Their representatives in government are fat, well fed, and looked upon as jokes by the other moons.
Religion: Many, but most have all been twisted to follow the mantra: “Eat, drink, and be merry…”
Inspiration: Inspired in part by District 1 of the Hunger Games franchise. Wealth, pleasure, and fun is all they concern themselves with.

Noctos

Dominant Species: Dead world as far as we know.
Ecology: Dead planet, once home to a large civilization. Resembles a moon with cities dotting the world, all dead and ethereal.
Religion: No religion, but it is widely believed that the dead of other worlds come here to live out their lives as punishment.
Inspiration: The planet Coruscant from Star Wars, but dead with nothing but the buildings remaining indicating a once great civilization. Also inspired in part by the ethereal quality of the planet on Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within movie.

M-873 aka Graan

Uninhabited.
Ecology: Ice World, but colder even than Destra.
Inspiration: Jupiter’s moon Enceladus, an Icy World believed to have liquid water beneath its ice-encrusted surface.

Aya

Dominant Species: The Ayans are a humanoid race with their musculature largely visible.
Ecology: Earthlike world overall with varying climates and a large diversity of geography.
Magic: They have a ritualistic magic system unique to their form and world. More details will be given later.
Technology: Rather primitive, to some extent and used for only the most basic and practical of purposes.
Society: They shun technology and base nearly their entire society on the Hunt. Ritualistically, they hunt some of the greatest and most dangerous of creatures on their world glorying in death and the life that can come from it. So many other races desire greatly to visit this shut-in world, but as of yet, the Tylarans are the only ones allowed.
Religion: Based primarily on the Hunt which is a sacred and necessary part of life to their people.
Threats: Their own desire to be self-sustained. Physically their world looks desirable by nearly all of the races and as such this puts them at risk particularly against the Griskoss. As such, many people have their eyes set on Aya so their alliance with the Collective is loose at best.
Inspiration: The Hirogen species of Star Trek:Voyager. Physically they are inspired by Abin Sur of the movie Green Lantern, the race known as the Ungarans with bright skin colors and a visible outer musculature.

Dapper Genius

3,400 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Consumer 100
Magic lives and breathes in the world of Krin. It knows no master and does as it pleases. It's truly a free spirit. It's responsible for how the world works, for how its shaped and how it continues to be and yet, it has long since been abandoned for the excitement of technology. This partly has to do with the fact that its such a fickle thing. Sometimes, it terrorises the citizens of Krin by plaguing it with harsh weather conditions and at other times, it makes everything just so, so that there's no threat of famine or poor harvest. At times, it's even playful, changing the positions of trees or houses on a whim.

To most, it is a nuisance and has very little power. However, there are still a few wielders out there in the world who can understand magic in a way others can't. These wielders can't harness the magical power -no one truly can- but they can get magic to work with them at times when it suits it. Still, it's a very unreliable power and the wielders are careful not to put too much faith that the magic will pull through for them, because somehow, no matter how long it's called, magic does not come out.

___

Just another perspective of magic that's been in my head for a while.

Dapper Sex Symbol

12,900 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Lady Zyzzyva

I like this idea so far. I'd be interested to see how it goes from here. I think with a bit more detail, you have the beginnings of a decent world. The thought if magic as a free spirit or entity in and of itself, is a novel concept. It makes sense that because of the nature of magic in Krin, most would not be able to use it.

Too many fantasy worlds out there that use magic just state that magic can be used or controlled by anybody. My thoughts are, if that were the case, why isn't everyone a magic wielder? Your idea makes sense though. If magic is its own entity and only manifests through those who understand it, then it makes more sense.

Thank you for being the first to share. If you ever plan on expounding or adding more details here and there, I'd be happy to lend an ear. You didn't mention, but humans occupy Krin I assume, right?

Dapper Genius

3,400 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Consumer 100
Gabriel Noah Alexander
Lady Zyzzyva

I like this idea so far. I'd be interested to see how it goes from here. I think with a bit more detail, you have the beginnings of a decent world. The thought if magic as a free spirit or entity in and of itself, is a novel concept. It makes sense that because of the nature of magic in Krin, most would not be able to use it.

Too many fantasy worlds out there that use magic just state that magic can be used or controlled by anybody. My thoughts are, if that were the case, why isn't everyone a magic wielder? Your idea makes sense though. If magic is its own entity and only manifests through those who understand it, then it makes more sense.

Thank you for being the first to share. If you ever plan on expounding or adding more details here and there, I'd be happy to lend an ear. You didn't mention, but humans occupy Krin I assume, right?

Yeah, I wanted a different approach to magic instead of the classic spells, wand -waving and occasional use of gems that are sources of power. I'm actually imagining Krin to have lots of steampunk elements because most people prefer technology in Krin compared to magic.

And yup, humans live on Krin. RIght now, they're the only race on Krin. I'm modelling it to be pretty similar to Earth, but I think I might add some interesting creatures into it later on down the road.

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Hello fellow worldbuilder!

It's 3am atm so I will save responding to other people for when I am coherent, but have a chunk of braindump on my world's overall state of technology.

Innovation is typically the result of two things, an environmental challenge and an enlightened response. Because my world is saturated in magic the environmental challenges are often met with magical responses, which reduces the need for people to create technological innovations as solutions.

For example, alchemy is considered one of the most advanced sciences of the land. Alchemists have figured out how to created solutions that, when applied to wood, create remarkably strong, yet pliant, material. This development has cut off the development of metallurgy, because woodwork and chemistry is less labor intensive and produces the same or better results than mining and smithing. This means the world is technically still in the stone age, as very few civilizations have developed any sort of capacity for metal work, but it is still technologically advanced in the areas of chemistry and structural engineering, with buildings that can reach about ten stories high before losing structural integrity.

At first glance, civilization would seem quite primitive, but this is an illusion. The form of technology that we are familiar with has simply been replaced by other sciences, some of which we would describe as magic.
The world of Grr suffered from a dying sun for millennia on end. Grr's top scientists knew for a long time that this was going to happen so they developed powerful UV lights in order keep the people and plants alive. After a while the wolrd of Grr returned to business as normal.

As time went on however these mysterious cubes that would flash a burst of honest to goodness genuine sunlight when opened leaving the user with a short feeling of euphoria followed by a very powerful depression. These "My little Sunshine" cubes as they were being called were very addictive and found their way onto the black market, in the hands of drug dealers fetching ver high prices. These drug dealers have a popular saying "You really can buy happiness now."

Note: I chose the name Grr at random.

Dapper Sex Symbol

12,900 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Lea Fealith

I really like this idea. As you described it, it really brought to mind a subject from Patrick Rothfuss' novel The Name of the Wind, which I highly recommend. In the book, the main character attends a college where magic is taught. Its not really called magic though and the description is a bit different than what you'd normally think. Its almost thought of as a science and magic is given the name "sympathy." Now Sympathy has many different branches and studies, but the main one that was brought to mind when you explained your world to me, is the study of Artificery and Sygaldry. Artificers craft items, be it through Smithing, Alchemy, and even Woodwroking, and then assign it a task or function with the use of Runes--the practice of Sygaldry.

For example, the main character crafts a lantern, infuses a rune on it to make it give off light without flame, and then adds other runes strategically to bend the light in a way that it shines only out in a single beam. Of course, its a flashlight that he has created, but being that the world has never seen anything like that, and that it could be used for ill purposes; it gets confiscated and they end up calling it the "thief's lamp." The Master Artificer, of course, is impressed regardless by the piece and although he confiscates it, he promises he will return it to him eventually so long as he agrees not to use it for a wicked purpose.

Either way though, I like the idea and hope to hear more about it in the future. As for the theme you chose, I can't quite place exactly where to categorize it as in invokes elements of technology as well as magic and even at the beginning you did mention a small portion of Ecology affecting the world.

I suppose it fits best under the theme Technology though. You seem to have described that the technology of the world itself is based off magic. It also is not an advanced technology at all, but nonetheless, very effective. Thank you for the contribution.

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Gabriel Noah Alexander
Lea Fealith

I really like this idea. As you described it, it really brought to mind a subject from Patrick Rothfuss' novel The Name of the Wind, which I highly recommend.

That book does sound like it has some excellent world building in it. I may have to look it up.

Dapper Sex Symbol

12,900 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Cabracan

Interesting. I have to say though, that I think you still have a long way to go. Its not a bad thing though. Just means that there's room to add more detail and more aspects of the world. As for the theme, it seems that you have selected "Threat." Since the basis for the world was shaped around the threat of the dying sun and the need to address that or face extinction altogether.

I'd be very interested to see how your people look now that they live in a society of darkness save for UV light and radiation.

As for your cubes idea, it seems to be more of a plot line than the basis for the world. I'd say keep at it and see if you can develop it further, but I'd recommend finishing the basis for the world itself, before developing the plot lines any further. Everyone is different though, so if you feel you can go with that idea in whatever order you like, then shoot for the moon or higher. I'm not one to stifle individual creativity.

As for the name of the world, does it have a pronunciation of some kind or is it simply "grrrr" like the sound of a growl?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff