Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unique Hacker

9,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
Thanks for the feedback. There were many good suggestions, and we've made some changes as a result:

- we've changed the CAPTCHA frequency to 1 in 4. We'll try this level for a while and see how people feel about it -- we can raise it and lower it as needed.
- since users with slower Internet connections / computers were complaining about missing tanks all the time, we've both slightly increased the number of maximum players in a game, as well as slightly increased the glow time.

Short FAQ:

Why not put the CAPTCHA at the end?
That is a good suggestion and something we will look at. However, the way the game is currently set up, the gold is granted at the end of the game, so a CAPTCHA after you've played would be too late to do anything.

Also: putting the CAPTCHA at the front of the game stops some classes of bots from jumping into the game -- which means it's easier to get tanks, since you don't have a bunch of bots jumping in before you.

Bots don't exist!
They do. I hate to give these guys more views, so I won't direct link, but a ten-second search will reveal tons of booty grab bots, with accompanying videos. We have a bunch of these in house and have confirmed that they do in fact work (or rather, used to work).

Why so sudden!?
We've been saying for a while that we have problem with BG -- you can see previous AtAs and such -- but we've seen a recent sharp spike in the amount of botted gold, and it has become a problem. Fixing bots is a labor intensive process by our amazing but overworked mod team: not only do we have to go through and ban the bots, but we have to undo all the transactions that the bot completed. This means going through trade logs, holding trading passes on people that received botted gold, so on and so forth. Stopping bots at the time of gold grant with a CAPTCHA is far more effective and a better use of everyone's time.

The CAPTCHAs are too hard!? I don't speak Greek / Russian / mathematical symbols
We get our CAPTCHAs from a service, Recaptcha. The CAPTCHAs are actually from OCRed texts -- so every time you solve one, you're actually contributing a little bit to digitizing old works of art.

As many people have noted, one of the words in a Recaptcha CAPTCHA are known, and one is unknown. Whatever you enter for the unknown word is fine. So, if you see a word that is Greek / a fraction / whatever, you can enter whatever you want for it.

Why are you blaming tank owners for inflation!?
Actually, we aren't -- but we are blaming the bots for exacerbating the inflation problem. To some extent, however, tank owners were counting botted gold as their standard earnings, and I think that's exaggerating the effect of this.

Is this the final solution?
No, we're more than willing to adjust as necessary -- what would make both tank owners and tank players happier, but still give us the capability of keeping botted gold out of the economy?

My direct link no longer grants gold
Your direct link should start with /tank. There were some people that were using various direct links (i.e., to store preview) that aren't a supported configuration if you're going to be playing BG.

Steadfast Survivor

I love that you're doing something to keep buttloads of Gold from flooding into circulation.

This is definitely a step in the right direction.

10,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Beta Critic 0
I have no objection to the captcha, and hearing about the increase in players and playing time is very good news.

But a question, have you considered implementing the captcha within the game itself, like Fishing has it? It would probably be harder to work around, that way.

Generous Bunny

Although I think the frequency should be the same as posts,
I think this is a great step. [:
and the extra time/extra people helps everyone in the long run~

CrackedJewel's Fangirl

Naughty Nerd

Thanks so much for adding the CAPTCHA to tanks. It's seriously about time that it was added. heart The adding a few seconds and the max number of players should defiantly help those with slower internet connections. heart
User Image

Many people in the aquarium forum are complaining that since the captcha was introduced, they are now often not receiving gold after playing a tank.

Is this being looked into / addressed?

And thank you for the changes to the way the captcha has been implemented.

Romantic Prophet

12,100 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
the fair and reasonable way-captcha through out gaia would take out bots

Unique Hacker

9,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
Yah, When we update the client, that is the right way to do it.

Mindset
I have no objection to the captcha, and hearing about the increase in players and playing time is very good news.

But a question, have you considered implementing the captcha within the game itself, like Fishing has it? It would probably be harder to work around, that way.

8,200 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
I think the captcha is a great idea. Plus, making it every 4 tanks (instead of each one) is greatly reducing lag and missed tanks.

Thanks a lot! blaugh
I understand that it's helping to stop bots but... CAPTCHA's are so annoying. Can't you make it 1 in 10 or something more reasonable?

Unique Hacker

9,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
Can you point me to some threads? Or even better, get any of them to report in Reporting Bugs? Any glitches in gold granting we want to resolve as quickly as possible.

Rhianae
User Image

Many people in the aquarium forum are complaining that since the captcha was introduced, they are now often not receiving gold after playing a tank.

Is this being looked into / addressed?

And thank you for the changes to the way the captcha has been implemented.

Rich Risk-Taker

11,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Luck of the Draw 50
i hate this i missed a golwing tank because of it
How about a sticky in the Aquarium forum?
Hasn't been a new one there in quite some time and since this concerns the aquariums...

Edit: Well that was fast, thanks!

CrackedJewel's Fangirl

Naughty Nerd

Kora -ox
I understand that it's helping to stop bots but... CAPTCHA's are so annoying. Can't you make it 1 in 10 or something more reasonable?
In all honesty and my opinion, I think that kind of kills the point of CAPTCHA.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff