Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Enabler

So, I'm the Editor In Chief of a small local literary magazine that comes out twice a year.

Translated, that means I answer all of the email and have final say on inclusion of a piece. Most of the actual selection is done by my staff of editors, one for each genre we accept (poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction).

Currently, I'm in the middle of Submission Week Hell, that lovely time when people realize that a deadline is coming up and decide to flood me with email.

Thus, a few notes:

Submission guidelines with snarkily worded visual aides are there for a reason. You need to follow them to get published. When the website says we accept .doc, .rtf and .txt, you should not be sending me Windows applications, .pdfs or .pages. .pages in particular, as I have no way of even opening them at all. At all. That's why I say don't send them. I do it to save having idiotic back and forths with semi-coherent fellow members of the executive committee of the local writers' society about no, click 'Save As' that end in me giving up and just spending an hour reformatting it from inclusion in the body of an email because it saves me time. I am getting a new submission every half hour at this point, and have to have all of them processed by the end of the week - including the extended deadline for paid members I was browbeaten into accepting. I have no time for dealing with idiocy.

Similarly, if the guidelines say to include a brief bio in the body of the email, and specifies 30-40 words, that does not mean send 200. That does not mean send nothing. That does not mean put it at the top of your submission. That means a bio of 30-40 words, in the body of your email. This is so, if we decide to publish your piece, we have a bio to include in our bio section. We like to get those to our Art Director as soon as possible so that he can lay everything out so that we can proof everything faster.

You are not a special snowflake when submitting, unless it's been solicited, which our magazine doesn't do. You are paperwork. Paperwork is universally hated. That means that, if no cover letter is requested, don't preface the requested information with details about your confinement to a wheelchair, dyslexia, and that this is your first time sending things out. That annoys me as the person accepting it. And, since we have blind submissions, no one cares. Your work always, always stands alone. Make it worth my time spent on paperwork. That is the only thing I care about. Prefacing it with how you're so nervous and you have gonorrhea of the eye does not mean you're more likely to get published out of pity. And, on good days, it's nice to see people be brave. But there are no good days during Submission Week, so it comes off as emotionally manipulative bullshit, and I hate you for it. Generally, avoid that, as not every magazine does blind judging.

That said, if you have the editor in chief's mother's phone number and she knows it, don't rub it in by breaking all the rules and submitting like a douchebag.

Also, try to get things in before deadline. It ensures that fewer mistakes are likely to happen between receiving your submission and the editor reading it. It also ensures that, if you send an incompatible file format, you'll be more likely to have time to correct the mistake and resend the right one before the deadline, saving everyone's sanity.

And, when the guidelines say make the filename the title of your piece, it is for a reason. I have a lot of submissions to go through during a short time, and we have a naming system everything has to be translated to. If your file is properly labelled, I can just change the name and move on. If it's not - if it's something like 'submission' or '#204 - final' - I have no idea what it is and have to read the damn thing before I can title it properly. That wastes my time. And makes me hate you.

TL; DR: Follow the guidelines to the letter. It's the first test of whether you're good enough at the English language to get published.
I bow to you and to all editor-in-chiefs for having to put up with the people (I used to be one of them when I first started submitting things two years ago 'cause I thought I was speshul and eukneek cuz I wuz ritter, and for that I apologize) who do this.
If I could have sex with your post, I would.

6,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
phantomkitsune
That said, if you have the editor in chief's mother's phone number and she knows it, don't rub it in by breaking all the rules and submitting like a douchebag.

There's a story behind this, isn't there?

Lol, that all sucks. Not just for you, but for the people that screw up that badly. I wonder how many good stories were for nothing because they acted like stupid monkeys. Then again, if they can't follow those simple rules, maybe their stories weren't that good to begin with. Hm.
I'm thinking of moving my magazine submission process to submishmash because I am so tired of getting screwed over by Gmail. But when I copy edited for The Oddville Press, we moved to submishmash, and were getting zero submissions, when before, we were getting plenty. So I'm iffy about doing that.

In any case, one thing that absolutely pissed me of was when a subber said that we could only publish his piece if we paid him, as if he had no idea how to read the guidelines. Our guidelines specifically state we pay for the 'best of' in each issue, so either this guy had the audacity to think he'd be gracing us with his presence in our magazine, or he had the audacity to think we were stupid enough to fork over the money should we happen to merely like his piece. I rejected without even reading the story.

But yes, I agree. I get plenty of subs that don't follow the guidelines, but since CCP is just starting out, I don't want to trash those subs--yet. However, if it's just so doggone awful that it hurts my eyes, I do reject it, whether or not it's a potential diamond. Even if we don't specifically state what format we'd like the stories in, there's a universal format for all short stories that even Duotrope recommends writers follow.

I think I just came out of my Submissions Week Hell. Went on a reading subs binge, but I'll probably have more to binge by the time the 5th comes around.
Gotta love people who don't follow the guidelines. I wouldn't blame editors for instant rejections for that. It's too easy to follow them. Most I've seen are easy to follow and tell you exactly what they want and how. It's not rocket science.
Wolvercote
I'm thinking of moving my magazine submission process to submishmash because I am so tired of getting screwed over by Gmail. But when I copy edited for The Oddville Press, we moved to submishmash, and were getting zero submissions, when before, we were getting plenty. So I'm iffy about doing that.

See if you can figure out what system Lightspeed, Asimov's and such use. It looks quite good. Easy for submitters I know. Never heard of submishmash or seen it. It may be that since all of thsoe use the same exact setup save for headers and stuff.

Don't see why submissions would drop unless people weren't reading the guidelines like you should before submitting each time and thus sent to gmail still. I love the system Lightspeed and such use. Strange Horizon's has a nice one too.

The one that require you to copy paste your text into I hate. Always can't tell if the formatting is there or not so it's hit or miss at times if you sent a wall of text or not. If you go and make changes, it may be huge white gaps. Messy...

Dangerous Enabler

Isacean: At least you're reformed now!

Mina: Thank you?

Inariko: Yes - one of the worst violators (has to date sent me six emails containing his stories - none formatted correctly).

Wolvercote: How's Gmail screwing you over?

And that's ridiculous. With ours, at least, it's old and established enough that everyone's used to no one getting paid. The reason we still have to deal with idiot submissions is that our catchement area is small - 750 000 on the main island, maybe another 10 000 on the rest of the islands (though probably not), and we have to fill a magazine from what the writers in that area provide.

I've actually been running some statistics over the last three issues, though (the number of issues I've worked on it, though this is my first as Editor In Chief), and the ones that don't follow the guidelines are almost universally rejected. Except for poetry.

Icehawk: Yeah, it's really not. Especially since, in a fit of pique last year, I made an example of exactly what your email should contain, who it should be sent to, and what the attachments should look like, took a screenshot, and posted it on the Guidelines page.

6,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
As the former editor of my old college paper, I agree with this one hundred percent. Even the submissions from our student reporters, who I could have dragged over to the computer to do their own formatting, had to submit their stories with one type of format, one font, one file type. Anything else got sent back and they were told to try again. And I had to do that more times than I care to admit.
Question:
How can a small local literary magazine that comes out twice a year manage to sustain itself? I'm curious is all. Do you fund raise? (Yay cake sale!)

Not related to the topic...sorry. But here is something that is:
I feel sorry for some lecturers who ask you submit your essay with the image of the artwork your talking about and it turns out half the class didn't do that. Then later on someone asks a question about it, quite frankly if i wasn't a student and was doing the marking I'd fail em. Its sheer stingynes or lazyness not to get a colour printout of the artwork your talking about in an essay.
Perhaps it comes out twice a year because that's what they can afford based on sales and other revenue streams. Also have to remember paying writers isn't a set cents per word. It varies. So it's not hard to keep it reasonable.

Dangerous Enabler

Henred: Frankly, it doesn't. It's paid for partly out of membership dues to the local writers' society, and every member gets a free copy. If we didn't do free copies for members, we'd theoretically be self-supporting, but we'd end up with less circulation.

We're lucky, though, in that, unlike the other lit mag on the island (the one associated with the university), we don't subsist on government arts grants.

Invisible Ghost

I'm curious, do you get many entries that use hard-to-read coloured text (extra points for the use of different colours for different characters), small and/or weird fonts?

I'm mostly thinking of seeing people who've posted stuff here in tiny fonts and bright colours, and horror stories I've heard of writers sending in manuscripts in odd colours to make them "stand out" to the publisher.

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
So, follow a publishers submission guidelines is what you're saying?

Provided one does that, what's the thought process behind deciding to publish a piece over another? What's considered "good?"

Dangerous Enabler

Ghost: Actually, I'm not sure. The way submissions work is that I accept them, then upload them to Google Docs, because that's how I share the folders with my genre editors. If people have used horrifying fonts, they must get stripped. More likely, I think, is that people don't use them: our catchment area includes a lot of seniors who are not particularly computer-savvy, regardless of writing skill, a lot of professional writers who have retired (highest number of writers per capita in Canada), and a lot of university students trying desperately to look like grownups.

Klaark: Pretty much.

And the thought process varies, partly by genre, partly by particular editor, partly by tone of the magazine. In fiction and CNF, major grammatical and spelling mistakes will get it thrown out (not the occasional typo or hanging particle, but if it's riddled with them). We don't do anything that promotes hate of any groups, so pronounced anti-Semitism or homophobia will get it thrown out. Depending on the editor, an entire piece dedicated to denouncing hate-speech will get summarily thrown out (more likely in Fiction, where story counts). Those are the ones that don't make it to further consideration.

To make the final cut in Fiction or CNF, it will probably have to be literary or mainstream fiction - genre fiction needs to be really remarkable to pass the bar. Since we're focused on the Islands, representation of the Islands is more likely to get you published. Stories need to have a point , to come to some kind of conclusion; none of my staff are particularly fond of vignettes that do nothing but present images.

That's reserved for poetry, where strong, concrete imagery rules. My poetry editor tends to be somewhat fond of non-saccharine nature poetry and poetry about the outdoors. We don't tend to get a lot of form poetry, or rhyming poetry. It's nearly impossible to get a haiku printed, though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff