Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey, folks. Wanted to share this with y'all. Some folks came up with this challenge called "Write 1 Sub 1". The idea is to write a story for every week in 2011, meaning 52 stories on the year, and submit those stories to magazines. This apparently was Ray Bradbury's method of operation, back in the day--he'd write and submit a story every week. At any rate, it sounds like a fantastic way to develop one's writing regiment. Steep, challenging, but the results could be wonderful. There's also a monthly version, in which you aim for one story written and submitted per month.

I'm shooting for the weekly goal. And I wanted to encourage everyone around here to check it out and, hopefully, give it a shot. Weekly or monthly. You can get the details on the above-linked blog (in some ways, it's not as scary as it seems; flash stories and the like are acceptable, too, so it wouldn't mean cranking out a 5 or 6k story every week sweatdrop ) and sign up officially, if you want. I thought it'd be cool to get a supportive community going here, too, if people are interested. So check it out, discuss it, gear up, and let's ttly do it.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Curse you! This was my secret plan. My resolution was to write a short story a week for the next year.

Oh well. Yeah, it really is a good idea. I may have gotten it from Bradbury. It sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't.

It's what I'm doing. Write a story a week. Already jotting a few ideas down.
Thank you for sharing.
This sounds really interesting, and I definitely need to be writing more than I have been.

Shameless Loiterer

13,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Champion 300
There's no way I'd be able to do the weekly one, but I might try the monthly one unofficially. Maybe build up my writer's discipline again, since it's seriously lacking right now. I used to write four times a week, I would like to get back in that habit. This seems like a good way to do so.
I've recently just gotten back into writing, and this sounds like a great idea. I hope I can make the time for it!
This is actually really cool, Maj.

...You know what? I'll shoot for it. Maybe not weekly though. Bi-weekly? I'm thinking bi-weekly.

Time to prove that my passion for writing is more fiery than my passion for napping. scream
Sounds like a great idea~
really challenging, though!
Wanda June
I've recently just gotten back into writing, and this sounds like a great idea. I hope I can make the time for it!

The thing about shorts is that I'm sure you can. If you just write 100-200 words a day, by the end of hte week you'll have 700-1400. That's a respectable amount. On your busiest of weeks, aim for a little flash fiction piece and boom, you've hit your goal with a little over 100 words a day.

It really does sound a lot harder than it is. Take it from someone who wrote a thousand words a day for quite a few months. This is a piece of cake. When I came up with the idea to do this next year a few months ago, I started writing a story a week to see how it'd go. It wasn't hard.

In fact, it gets easier as time progresses.
Great idea. I'll try my best to do it! biggrin

I'm from a non-english speaking country, so far from all of them will be in english. razz

Questionable Prophet

User Image
That was my new years resolution....actually my resolution is to get published, but that was how I was going to go about doing it.
This is actually a pretty awesome idea. I might try this. Though I do wonder, if I do try the weekly challenge, how I'll be able to create new story-lines each week. Since I'm no good at creating interesting story-lines, this will be difficult.

Maybe I should just do the monthly one.
I'd do it! Except, I would very much like to edit my nanowrimo novel, so I'll probably shoot for the monthly goal until I finish (which, if I work hard, should be around July) and then do the weekly challenge for the latter part of the year smile
Everyone acts so surprised that I brought a good idea to the table. emo

Well ******** y'all, too! lol lol lol

Anyone who's officially signing up, let me know. I'll create a list of participants in the first post and link to your blogs, if'n you want. And, when the new year comes, we'll harass each other into keeping with the program. 4laugh
Sand in your Majina
Everyone acts so surprised that I brought a good idea to the table. emo

Well ******** y'all, too! lol lol lol

Anyone who's officially signing up, let me know. I'll create a list of participants in the first post and link to your blogs, if'n you want. And, when the new year comes, we'll harass each other into keeping with the program. 4laugh
Will be the first to officially sign up :3

O.G. Elder

I'm signed up. Will try the weekly with what time I've got, in conjunction with my current projects. Can't very well hurt.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff