Welcome to Gaia! ::

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Please help me improve this character sheet to recommend to writers who want/need them.

Name/nickname/whatever the writer calls them:

Significance to story:

What they do:

Why they do it:

Obstacles:

Additional notes:

I am leaving out backstory and will always leave out backstory as part of the character sheet. Not all characters have them.

Here is a situational character sheet to help with writers block and/or continuity.

Situation:

What they'd to in it:

Why:

Defining important features for the audience (speech pattern, a 'feel' the audience is meant to get from their description):

Other important details:

This can work two ways, either for working backwards and the situation is what you intend to have and you figure out how your character would act the way you want in order to advance the plot that way; or for trying to figure out what actions the character would take, given their personality and experiences up to now int he story.

PS: Thank you Kita-Ysabell for help
What they want.
How is it denied.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Sir Icehawk
What they want.
How is it denied.

I think 'why' covers what they want, but I added 'obstacles'
The Once Over
Name:
Height:
Weight:
Build:
Hair:
Facial Details:
Clothing Style:
Points of Interest:

Who Are You?
In a nutshell:
Demeanor:
What you love:
What you hate:
What you fear:
People see you as:
You see yourself as:
Why people love you:
Why people hate you:

Where Did You Come From?
Residence:
Day Job:
Background:
Friends and Family:

What Can You Do?
Skills:
Weaknesses:
Equipment:
Supernatural:
Combat:

Why Are You Here?

The Essentials
1:
2:
3:

Quote:
Take what you will- I'm using it for an OCT contest!

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
That certainly wouldn't help a writer. None of that is important to a written character, and adding that would make the character sheet useless to many, while this is supposed to be something for all writers, not matter what the story.

Besides, all of that can just fall under 'additional.'

Lucky Cat

You might want to include defining interpersonal relationships with regards to the other characters.
Or that could just go under additional.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Le Nouveau Soleil
You might want to include defining interpersonal relationships with regards to the other characters.

I considered it, but there are stories where there's just one main character, or relationships aren't relevant.

Liberal Ladykiller

9,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
What separates 'significance to story' and 'what they do'? I would think the two are usually a bit too interconnected to make separate categories, at least for most major characters.

Lucky Cat

I_Write_Ivre
Le Nouveau Soleil

I considered it, but there are stories where there's just one main character, or relationships aren't relevant.

Ahh, true.
Honestly, the real questions are:
What they want: Huge. Motive.
Obstacles: Obvious.
What they do: Very different.

If it's a character driven story and you assume it's based on the want. That's very linear. 1 plus 1 should result in 2 minus any twists you toss in.

Significance to the story really is pointless. That's additional info if anything. You can't really tell till you've developed them. Just like Why is 100% vague. Why what? For a generic sheet for someone who needs structure, way too vague for me.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Ophiucha
What separates 'significance to story' and 'what they do'? I would think the two are usually a bit too interconnected to make separate categories, at least for most major characters.

Darth Vader's significance to story: Second in command of evil totalitarian empire. Ultimate baddie who needs to be stopped.

What Darth Vader Does: While he serves the emperor, he shows hesitation at the thought of killing his own estranged children. He kidnaps Princess Leia, kills an underling who mocks his belief in the force, etc, etc.

I wanted them separate as actions do not denote the part they play in the story (technically, you could write the same story and make him the hero, or a minor character who merely moves the plot forward like in Brazilian Star Wars.) Also, 'does' handles wants and thoughts, while 'significance' doesn't necessarily

However, you do make a good point of how they are interconnected and I do appreciated the post.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Sir Icehawk
Honestly, the real questions are:
What they want: Huge. Motive.
Obstacles: Obvious.
What they do: Very different.

If it's a character driven story and you assume it's based on the want. That's very linear. 1 plus 1 should result in 2 minus any twists you toss in.

Significance to the story really is pointless. That's additional info if anything. You can't really tell till you've developed them. Just like Why is 100% vague. Why what? For a generic sheet for someone who needs structure, way too vague for me.

Please expand on how 'significance to story' is irrelevant. I thought making sure your character wasn't just thrown in would help.

The why is pretty obvious, given what it follows up (thus solving motive problem).

Essentially you'd get this (basically):

Some guy:

Minor antagonist whose subplot moves main plot forward

Tries to get glass of water

Wants to save goldfish who has very little water.

Too short to reach sink

Dapper Gaian

8,925 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Elocutionist 200
I'd use this sheet. It gets the broad idea of the character. The additional notes part would suffice for those who feel they need to add physically descriptions and whatnot.

Elfmanism's Wife

Dapper Dabbler

I just use bits and pieces of this when I need to work on a character's development.
The Kraken
I just use bits and pieces of this when I need to work on a character's development.

Omigod. That is ******** long!

I've never used character sheets. I only use plot outlines. Frankly Ivre, what you have now it fine. The motive in the context of the story is the most important thing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff