Welcome to Gaia! ::

Toothsome Fatcat

We are an anthology work-in-progress.

We are mostly made up of the members of the 111, a long-lived, now deceased, chat thread that was recently given over to the firing squad. Long live sacred WF.

Our motives aren't driven by elitism. This will be a thread that will accept anyone of the same vein as the writers that post here, and to anyone willing to give themselves to the void. In other words, we accept all levels of writers willing to either learn more about writing or contribute or both. Just jump in. It is an ongoing collection of scraps of writing, original poetry, prose, rantings, debates and other original material, editorial or journalistic in nature. tl;dr, We want the work of non-111ers too.

The 111up's goals are unclear as of yet, but I see a future in private publication for the work gathered here. Maybe if things are good enough, a magazine would be nice.

The rules are as follows. We hail the ToS as the supreme law of the land. We demand writing discussion. We encourage critiquing of others' works. We discourage unwillingness to cooperate. If you have questions, please ask in the thread, do not PM me. I am host and diplomat and sponsor. We will all follow the prosaic method of posting: in other words, no flash colors, fonts or eye pulling punctuation. And, most of all, keep contributing, but be sparing. Or else there will be too much to read.

deceased

Contributors (pages and # of work)

phantomkitsune (1, 5)
Kira hates Oranges (1, 8, 9, 12)
Jasper Riddle (1, 8 )
Lovers Never Tell (1, 9 )
Perfect Imperfection v2.0 (1)
Black Gabriel (1, 7, 8 )
Latkes (1)
the hidden ghost ( 8 )
This Is Not Creative (1, 2)
passy indoors (4)
AlambiqueCiel (4)
sth the relinquished (4, 12 )
~Seishin~ (5)
Scribbling Scribe ( 8 )
Lord Tezzy ( 11 )

Dangerous Enabler

Seriously the only thing I've finished in months, and it's really only a heavy re-write of something I did like seven years ago. But I want it up because I want to post something improved later and be able to look at this and see the improvement.

The Trials and Tribulations of Being a Damsel in Distress

Yet another knight was charging the castle to do battle with the dragon. Aurelia wished that they wouldn’t keep disrupting breakfast. She understood that most of them had planned heroic speeches at dawn in the village down the road, but it really just wasn't convenient.The dragon Xiphignaral had to leave the table and shape shift to do battle, which meant either waiting for toast or trying to toast the bread on the fire, the latter of which usually ended with blackened bread. “May I come and watch this time?” she asked of the dragon.

Xiphy responded with a shrug. “If you like. Make sure to stay in the tower, though. You know they're dangerously unpredictable.”

Aurelia ran through the vaulted halls to get to her room. She needed to get a white scarf to wave out the window to end the inevitable demands for evidence that she was alive. The room was a violet and cerulean haven, the soft jewel tones a marked counterpoint to the bright white marble everywhere else in the castle. Her maid was cleaning, and looked up in surprise. "Your highness?"

"Another one," Aurelia said briefly before heading back out, scarf in hand.

Her maid nodded and smiled at her. Knights coming to 'rescue' Aurelia had been a regular occurrence for the last six years. Aurelia's repeated missives that she was fine, that she was happy, that she didn't particularly want to come back went unregarded and unanswered.

Aurelia found a scarf and ran back through the castle to the balcony overlooking the courtyard. There she found the knight and the dragon already embattled. The knight kept running close to the dragon, trying to hack at him, and Xiphignaral kept belching flame at the knight. The knight was on foot, but a pile of ash and bones attested to the fate of his charger. The knight was clever enough to keep out of reach of the dragons claws, and fast enough to dodge the flames.

In the end he wasn’t fast enough, and got a face full of fire. Xiphignaral liked to preserve the armour to decorate the Hall of Statues. The helmets usually needed a good cleaning, though. The knight couldn’t even scream as his face burned off.

The air around Xiphignaral shimmered as he changed back to human form. He walked over to the charred corpse and started prying the suit of armour off the former knight. The armour was quite nice, really. Even from where Aurelia was standing, she could see the glinting silver design. This would be the forty-seventh suit of armour the knights coming to ‘rescue’ Aurelia had contributed to the Hall of Statues. The make of the armour had been becoming more exotic as the years progressed. It looked like her father was going father afield for questers lately; he'd probably run out of eligibly bred and stupid men close to home.

The reward of half the kingdom and Aurelia's hand in marriage was probably becoming less attractive close to home, anyway, since all of the local princes had met her, and the romance of the situation probably faded with maturity, memories of how difficult she was and rumors of the viciousness and size of the dragon taking precedence. Either that or all of the ones stupid enough were dead. She remembered something about her father annexing a kingdom or two because their entire line of succession had been lost either trying to rescue her or to some other quest; the additional land had probably only made the prospect more appealing for younger princes from farther afield.

Aurelia helped Xiphignaral clean the armour before setting it up. As Aurelia was polishing the left gauntlet, she asked him; “Does it ever bother you, having killed so many?"

He blinked at her, his eyes a flat and reptilian green. "Why would it? It's them or me."

Aurelia nodded, then looked down, letting her long hair curtain her face. She was starting to feel like it was time to go back, to leave this sanctuary. She didn't want to; aside from the occasional knightly interruption, it was heaven. She read; researching politics and history and science of every sort, and then talking about it with Xiphy, and playing chess with him, and sketching - usually him, either as a dragon or a man. Though she had to be sure to balance which way she asked him to sit for her; it wouldn't quite do for him to realize that she found his human form more than artistically pleasing. Going to Court - she couldn't think of it as home, not anymore - would mean taking up her duties as heir to the throne. Diplomacy, and sessions of court, and balls, and enduring the courtship of some of the same young men who kept trying to kill Xiphy.

And then she'd have to marry one of them. That was probably the most unappealing part of the whole thing. If only there were another option.

Well, there sort of was. He probably wasn't even open to it. Aurelia scrubbed harder than necessary.

Xiphy put his hand over hers. "I think it's clean now. What's wrong?"

“Xiphignaral,” Aurelia said hesitantly, using his full name to show she was serious,”Will you come with me to Court?”

“As the evil dragon who kidnapped you?” he asked skeptically, dropping her hand.

“As Prince Consort,” Aurelia stated calmly, masking her inner hurricane of butterflies with iron control. She clutched the gauntlet tightly to stop her hands from trembling. Her control didn't quite stretch to meeting his eyes, though. They'd been friends and close companions for so long, and she'd loved him most of that time, and she knew he didn't dislike her - he sought her out for chess games when she was late, and the way he looked at her, and would never even discuss sending her off with any of the knights.

"Lia?" He pushed her hair back behind her ears.

The trembling got so bad that she couldn't quite control it anymore. "It's just that I have to go back sometime, and my father's not young, and there's no one else, really. There's precedent, you know. King Jonathan, in Meiva, married a dryad, and my great-great-grandmother was engaged to a vampire until a rival staked him, and -"

"Lia," Xiphignaral interrupted. "Yes."

Toothsome Fatcat

So you won't feel alone, pk (sorry D: ), here's a very recent short story thing written for a contest. Something I'm proud of, though I think it's shoddy work at times.

Saying Goodnight

It is Sunday morning again.

I am awake and I can see. The canvas of the ceiling. Breathing. The shape of carbon dioxide, like a brush stroke. Now I listen. I listen to the drone of distant conversation, buses whispering in the crisp morning, the chatter of engines and the footsteps shadows make. I lean forward and stretch until there's no more tension in my spine, no more dreams in my head to drag me back. There's an open window. I can smell the breakfast carts steaming in the early morning, the cilantro growing in Mama Nita's terraces one floor below, the crisp of light rain. It's a room with too much going on; it collapses in my vision like a wall built of memories. A playbill. A bible. An open book. A houseplant. I press my bare feet into the carpet and I'm sinking. Laughter that isn't mine. I'm sinking! I lean against the corner formed by wall and mattress. I see past the window.

The half-darkness before a sunrise. Dim lights, like the imagined eyes of monsters poking out through the mist. The damp of the air. The mountains against the sky a framed picture, or a postcard. The city, breathing like a machine, pumping like pistons into the morning, all in silence and silhouettes and mystery. The steel and the iron and the concrete towers. Breathing.

My heart skips a beat. I see the first street musicians on Haddock set up on the corner. They are young and their voices, clear as water, carry down the road. They are singing in Italian, something about love and silly things like it. He plays guitar and she follows the melody thoughtfully. I applaud. They are wonderful. I don't know quite what they're saying, but they are wonderful.

Now I can see the park three blocks away. I can see the pigeons and the benches and an old woman bent over the bridge, watching the ducks play in the pond. There are people jogging. A birthday party comes to life in a clearing and a mother robin prepares a nest in the trees nearby. The grass is green and the sky is pale. I watch the old woman now as she smiles into the water, gazing at herself and seeming content with what she sees. Laugh lines stretch her face, and her full, white hair is cut short.

But I am drifting away. I am going back. A school. A little boy sits at his desk, staring straight ahead. I wonder if he sees what I see. I wonder if it will take him half a lifetime or half a minute. Then the wondering stops when I see what he's staring at. She is pretty and dresses above her age. She is taller, he can see that, and there is an unquestionable glimmer in her eyes when she notices him. He stares and he is confused. He sees a mystery, something that he will dedicate most of his life to. His eyes quickly lose their focus when the teacher notices him, begging him to pay attention to the other mysteries written on the board.

My bones creak. They grind together like rusty gears, wanting release. I blink and catch a second sight blurrier than the last. I am running out of time.

It is Sunday evening again. The sun begins to sink below the horizon. The musicians have stopped playing. Now their hands are locked and they are gazing into each other's eyes in the gathering silence. Their lips meet and all at once there is music playing that no one else but them can hear. But I can hear it clearly. It is enough to make a man cry.

Julia. I am holding an old picture of us and my hands are shaking. She had had a tradition on Sundays. She called it “The Sunday Scramble”. We would eat plates of scrambled eggs while playing cryptic word games all throughout the day. We had been evenly matched, though she would play to let me win sometimes. I had protested, of course. But there was nothing to protest but the memory. Julia. I hold the picture to my slowing heart and lie down. The sun vanishes and the violet sky is a blanket of stars. Haddock is the only street in the city that gets skies like this. The room is full of history. It collapses like a wall built of dreams. A stamped letter. A desk. A broken clock. A life lived. All at once the air is cold and sleepy and the silence works itself into the streets. I listen to it breathe. It tells me what beauty is, but I already know.

The silence is awake and it sees. It sees an old man. It hovers close and it listens. Then the silence becomes the old man. All the clockwork slows. The stores put up their “closed” signs. The lights dim and the next breath is the last. It's the end of the show, says the silence, and this bed is awfully comfortable. Goodbye, says the silence. Goodbye and goodnight.

Goodnight, silence. Goodnight.
Welp, here goes. Wrote this for class last year, but I like how it turned out. Comments welcome.

Herb's Herbs

I stood on the back porch for a moment, looking around the backyard with a contented smile on my face. The air was clean and clear in the way it often is after a rainstorm, the sharp smell of ozone fading away to be replaced by wet earth, and the morning sunlight was faint and watery through the clouds that remained. There was even a little birdsong. It was peaceful, natural, without the hubbub and drama of human interaction.

The yard was overgrown and weedy, patches of mud scattered haphazardly about. I had spent the last week on my hands and knees, digging around in the underbrush and collecting in a pail all the things I found; among my finds were toy cars of both the metal and plastic varieties with mud clogging their wheels, glass marbles, the head of a plastic doll, a few shards of metal that I cut my index finger on when picking them up, bits and pieces of glass, enough aluminum cans to make a dollar, a half-buried Whiffle ball.

Now it was time for weeding and digging out pebbles and rocks. My trusty metal pail sat at the edge of the porch, half-filled with water; my gardening gloves were lurking by the door next to my spade and the folded-up lawn chairs. Putting on the gloves, I dumped out my pail and walked out to one corner of the yard, the mud sucking halfheartedly at my boots. My wife would complain about the mud on my jeans later and ask why I couldn’t have a less dirty hobby, but she was always complaining, bless her heart. Why New England, she had asked plaintively. Why not Florida? Why not somewhere warm? And then she had gone on to deride my idea of an herb garden in the back, saying that the soil was likely too rocky and too acidic and it was too cold and the whole thing was a hopeless venture.

Well, I had tested for acid and it was okay, and other people had gardens that weren’t doing too badly. Even if I didn’t use the entire backyard it would be nice to weed it all and trim it back a bit, make the whole lot a bit more presentable. I was sure that even she would like that. If she liked it enough she would probably start inviting friends over to look, though, so I would have to be careful to make it all my own.

I didn’t really want to wear the gloves while digging about, but after running across the metal shards I had become wary of what lurked in the dirt. Damp earth stuck to my jeans as I knelt and began digging with gusto, pulling out the dandelions and crabgrass and tossing them in the pail, unearthing stones that were pitched in with clangs as they hit the sides. The damp earth made it that much easier to pull everything out; one of the reasons why I had waited until after the storm. Naturally, the other reason was that it was still cloudy and I wouldn’t have to have a hat covering my balding head. I didn’t like hats much.

Pressing against the fence, I slowly worked my way across the yard, lost in my dirt-filled fantasies. I had recently acquired a book on gardening and one of the neighbors had a lovely assortment of flowers—Mary admitted that she loved the colors, but that was as far as she would go, or could go without openly encouraging me—and they said they would give me pointers on just about anything I asked.

The air was pleasantly damp but threatening another drizzle, and when I pulled off my gloves and checked my watch I realized it was nearing noon; I had been at my work for three hours now. How time flew. My back protested as I straightened, reminding me harshly that I needed to take breaks more often.

I left the gloves by the door along with my boots, walking through the house in my socks; Mary would not appreciate mud tracked over the carpet and to be honest neither would I. Gardening was an outdoor hobby and I agreed with her that it should stay outside. The natural exception was the potted plant sitting on the kitchen counter, but that didn’t really count.

I could see Mary from where I stood, the back of her head visible over the top of the chair where she sat watching television and knitting. She had recently cut her hair into a little bob, neatly styled and combed smooth despite her saying that the humidity in the air made it knotty and unmanageable. And she had stopped dying it black a few weeks ago. The gray was starting to creep back in, making her hair more salt-and-pepper on the top than black, although she would never admit that. It’s silver, she would say.

I was surprised to see her quiet for once, and knitting. Perhaps the phone was broken, that she couldn’t call our son Robert, or her friends Linda and Josie back home.

She heard me opening the fridge. “Eat the apples, dear,” she called, glancing over her shoulder. “They’re ripe.”

“I know.”

“I’m not going to buy any more apples if you don’t eat the ones that we get, Herb,” she said reproachfully. “The last time you let three go bad.”

“I know.” I got out the milk and poured a glass, putting back the container in exchange for the bread and a packet of sliced ham, drinking my milk as I made the sandwich.

Mary sighed and turned back to the television. Thankfully she didn’t talk, knowing that I wouldn’t care about the goings-on of her old friends, and she would tell me what Rob was getting up to later this evening like she always did. I watched the screen from the kitchen—some game show I didn’t know the name of—and quietly ate my sandwich, finishing the milk in a gulp and putting the dishes in the sink. To make Mary happy I also grabbed an apple from the fridge and ate that too, then headed back outside.

“Wear a hat,” she called after me. I closed the sliding door. It was still cloudy; a hat wouldn’t be necessary. Boots and gloves back on, I returned to where I had left the pail and spade, resuming my weeding.

Maybe it would rain some more later. I wouldn’t mind that—another break to stretch my back would probably be best, and give me a chance to browse through the gardening book a little more. I was still undecided about what I would plant, and hoped that it might be able to give me advice on what would grow best. I wanted mint, but perhaps the soil wouldn’t be the right kind for that.

I loved mint. Just to have some that I could crush in my hands and breathe in would be a delight. If I couldn’t grow it here it would be a small blow, but perhaps I could buy a potted mint plant and have it in the kitchen with the other plant. It was nice to have a little greenery in the house, and Mary would probably start looking for recipes for mint tea and similar things, just to put it to good use.

I had to take another break fairly quickly after I started again so I could stretch my limbs and empty out the pail; it was full at this point, so I hauled it across the yard and dumped it in the wheelbarrow. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to empty that of water and got splashed on my jeans. The weeds floated forlornly at the top, the rocks sinking to the bottom and turning the water a murky brown. I stared at it for a moment, then drifted back to where I had left the spade, and set my empty pail on the ground.

I finally reached the other corner of the backyard, and it was there that I unearthed my strangest find. The top of it was visible first, brown and beige, and I dug away at it expecting another rock, my surprise at how large it was growing as I dug and cleared away damp dirt. Only when it was fully uncovered did I realize what it was, and set it gently on the ground to consider it, leaning back on my heels.

It was a small skull, like a child’s, and stripped bare of flesh—there was no telling how long it had been buried there in its forgotten grave. Mud clung to the pits where there had once been eyes, a nose. I figured there must be a jawbone in the earth as well, but I had not dug it up, and the skull looked rather lonely without it, staring back at me without the trademark grin.

You heard about this sort of thing every so often on the news. Someone taking their dog for a walk in the woods stumbles across the half-buried body of a child, or construction workers at a new site unearth ruins thousands of years old.

“Which are you?” I wondered. Had it been buried for ten years? A hundred? A thousand? Was my herb garden the place of a horrible murder or a sacred ritual site? Perhaps the skeleton was plastic. I didn’t dare touch it to find out.

There was a tarp somewhere. In the garage, maybe. I could cover up the site until I figured out what I wanted to do. Getting to my feet with a groan, I hurried away in search of the blue plastic, folded up and dry in its hiding place. It took me a few minutes before I saw it, and it crinkled a little when I picked it up and returned outside, arms full of tarp.

The skull was still there when I returned. I sighed.

“What do I do with you?” I asked it as I began unfolding the tarp, listening to it crinkle. Mary would have a field day. Robert would be called first, then Linda and Josie, then everyone else she still had the numbers to, then the local newspaper, then the national newspaper, then the tabloids. And the police in there somewhere too. And that wasn’t counting the neighbors. Slowly I covered the entire corner, wondering if there was even a complete skeleton under my feet. Maybe there were others.

I used rocks and pebbles from the pail to pin it down, and when those ran out I returned to the wheelbarrow, took off my gloves, pulled up my sleeves, and fished out the largest rocks, putting them in the pail and lugging that back across the yard to pin down the tarp.

Mary would ask what the tarp was doing there. What could I tell her?

How many construction workers—maybe not now, but in the past—had hidden the bones they had come across? How many hikers had decided that the stick only looked like a femur and moved on? Were there skyscrapers built on potentially historical places and hallowed ground?

I just wanted a garden.

6,550 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Such pristine brilliance!
I marked X and swung the ball
causing cataclysmic seduction
-----------plastic wrapped and zipped tight-
to contort the wailing to
moans. Your sweetness drip
moans. Your sweetness drip drip
moans. Your sweetness drip drip drips
off my metallic love giving it a glossy
polish. I knew you'd color my world in shades
I only dreamed about. Pumping me full
of dramatic impulses to wreck your perfection
against the hood of my car and as your head
snapped back from the final thrust
snapped back from the final thrust snapped back it died.
I only wished to clear the air
of your pompous thoughts and recreate
your beauty bare foot and bashful,
but as my hands cupped your cheeks
and the nails tasted skin with your perfumed
senses scattered across the gravel I realized

your glazed eyes no longer longed for me.

Newbie Noob

3,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Full closet 200
This is rather old, but I'm told it's also rather good:

Archaeology

May 19th 1917

In hindsight, I should have never explored that ruin. Its winding, subterranean passageways wore too strong on me, and I broke down. Down into the musty bowels of the earth I descended, foolish curiosity dripping thick off my soul like so much black machinery grease, settling in great puddles of ooze on the floor. I explored for hours, leaving only one door closed. It had strange, golden markings on it, and it frightened me. I opened all the others, exploring them until finally my lack of sleep overwhelmed my caution and I flung open the gold-marked door.

I wish I hadn’t. When the passage was clear, I saw naught but inky blackness. I looked into the dark room for a moment, waiting for my eyes to adjust. Suddenly, pure, shrieking doom flew out of the chamber and slammed me into the wall, knocking the wind out of me. I passed out. When I came to, I had fallen into a screaming vortex of agonizing pain, my body rotting from within.

These last words are anguish, as I sit here, in my room overlooking the dig, in my gnarled and rotting hands a quill and book to record my thoughts. Even now the torturous throbbing in my body seeks to consume my mind and it is only through strength of will that I continue.

May 24th 1917

As I sink further and further from reality I find my thoughts wander. Sometimes death, sometimes the dig, sometimes bleak nothingness. But most often is the thought of the time before I came here, to Irem, the City of Pillars. The time before this unimaginable suffering, slowly solidifying my organs, only to dissolve into dust inside of me. Yet, thanks to some horrific eldritch magic, I remain alive until there is nothing left of me but a husk. How I long for the time before Irem. How I long for happiness. How I long for death.

May 27th 1917

I fear I am nearly gone. I only hope this diary is never found.

O.G. Elder

I'll leave this one here for now, to help get this off the ground, and contribute some new work very very soon. This is one of my favorites I've ever written.

Coz' Pretty Ain't Close Enough, Honey
She was a pretty one, that girl, but she weren't none too bright. That's okay though, cos' mama always told her that as long as she was beautiful, she'd never have to take care of 'erself. Some big strong man or another would protect 'er and feed 'er and give 'er babies. Mama was always concerned mostly 'bout the babies. She wanted grandchildren, an' most of the other sisters weren't just dumb, they was ugly too.

Excuse me, I should probably introduce myself. Please forgive my... lapse in proper speech patterns. When talking about my baby sister, I tend to get that way. I've learned better than that now. My name is Neil Eli, and I'm from a small town in Arkansas, originally. I'll withhold that name, simply because no one needs to go visiting that place. Nothing but ghosts there, and lonely, unattractive women looking for desperate husbands. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

However, it's the stage for my story. When I say the town was small, I'm not exaggerating. Population 500, my graduating class had six students, and that was considered a big one. I haven't been back for a reunion since I left, I never liked most of those people anyways. It was my senior year, though, that all of it happened. It was my baby sister's, Jeanie by the way, freshman year.

Jeanie was a beautiful thing, really. I'm not ashamed to admit that at all. She got all the best genes our bloodline had. Sadly, as I said before, those didn't include the smart ones. My other sisters are still in that dead-end town, and I got out through force of will. Smarts had nothing to do with it. She was pretty though, and she knew it, and so did every one else. I suppose that was the problem really. Everyone else knew it, and jealousy is an awful thing. Brings out the very worst in people. Now, I'm not saying the other girls bullied her or anything, but they didn't treat her too kindly either. She didn't have any friends, but none of the other girls were gonna do anything to her so long as I was around. 4

By a freak accident of nature, men were rare in that town. The women outnumbered them ten to one at best. I can't say for sure whether that still holds true. Not really my concern.

Well, Jeanie may not have been smart, but she wasn't a moron either. She knew why she didn't have friends, and at first it didn't bother her. Who needed girlfriends when they could have a man? Difficulty in that was in the fact that the men weren't forthcoming either. There were only two other boys in the high school at that point, and one was spoken for - thought he was in love - and the other was nigh marriageable. Later investigation of the outside world on my part revealed that he shared a lot in common with what they term "homosexuals" out here. The idea was nearly unheard of back home, but evidently he had come across it somewhere.

I did the best I could for my sister, encouraged her to play nice with the other girls, and encouraged them to get to know her. She was as beautiful inside as she was out. Not a nicer girl in the whole world, I think. I never thought that a pretty face could be such a barrier to communication. Seems fairly unnatural to me, but nothing much about that place followed what I'd consider to be the natural order.

I loved my baby sister, so I was on board when she decided to make herself more sociable. I was just slightly concerned at the method she chose to pursue. She was going to make herself less pretty.

Now, I've seen make-up used for a lot of things, but never for the express purpose of making a girl uglier. She was an absolute professional at that one though. She was hideous when she was done with that case. It cost a lot of money, I'm sure, but that's the price you pay for ugly.

She went to school the next day with the biggest smile on her face I'd ever seen. Jeanie was just so damnably happy, I couldn't help but smile too, even though I was utterly confused when it came to the reason for her joy. She was ugly, but she didn't have friends yet. And come lunch-time she didn't have friends yet. And come final bell she didn't have friends yet. And come tomorrow, and come the next week too. She gave it a pretty good try, I'd say, but no amount of make-up could hide the fact that she was pretty underneath.

She kept at it until one day, she just couldn't take anymore. It was messy, and in my defense I didn't know until it was too late to stop it. I had been out on a date at the local diner, which really was no place to take a date, but I wasn't looking at getting lucky. I didn't want a second date either. Hell, I didn't want the first date, but I was set up. The girls liked to do that there. They were pretty generous - if they couldn't get the boy, they were happy enough to pass him around until someone did.

I wish I'd never gone on that date, for more than one reason these days. When I came home Jeanie had the kitchen knife and her face was torn up by its none-too-sharp edge. She was bleeding all over the nice shag carpet, too. I rushed for her, but was a little too late to stop her from gouging one of her eyes out. Now the human body has a little something called a "pain threshold" and after that's reached, you can't make yourself hurt anymore. It simply won't work. You just lose control. Evidently hers was a lot higher than I imagined, because she was thrashing even as I tackled her and wrestled the knife from her hand.

I wasn't thinking too clearly when I started moving her about, I guess. All I was thinking was getting the knife away from her so she couldn't hurt herself more. I didn't realize I was aggravating her other wounds. All that wrestling just made her bleed more, and caused a fair bit of her flayed skin to come off her face. My hands and shirt were covered in my baby sister's blood and I just didn't know what to do, but she was stripped of her knife and as she bled out slowly, she was crying so hard. She was gonna die, and I knew it, and there was nothing I could do about it. The nearest hospital was at least half-an-hour away. It was going to be painful and, most of all, just slow.

So I did the only thing I could do, right? I took the knife and finished the job. One clean cut across her throat was enough to lay her out. Then, I thought, that's not how she'd have wanted to go. It was clean. Simple. Beautiful.

So I tore her apart until no one would ever, EVER, even dare to call my baby sister beautiful again. They were going to respect her final wishes no matter what I had to do.

There was never any sort of inquiry. The lawmen were all too happy to rule it a suicide. That's okay by now. I was only doin' what she wanted 'erself.

Y'see, I love my baby sister. Even now she's dead an' gone. She ain't never comin' back, so I has t' make sure 'er memory's kept right.

Yeh, my baby sister was pretty, but 'n th' end, she was as ugly as God makes 'em.
* Magnum Opus *

by Latkes

Have you been wondering which Twilight character are you?

WELL WONDER NO MORE thanks to our brand new patented p***s-enlargement pills!

These brand new pills are guaranteed to make your p***s sing and dance in Broadway musicals! Give seductive massages to old ladies! Sprout a luxurious handlebar mustache AND MOST OF ALL perform in a circus! Your p***s will be so big that even the people all the way in the back of the circus who are too cheap to buy good tickets will be able to see your p***s walking on stilts and honking its clown nose! That's right, just like Edward Cullen's p***s did in the unabridged version of Twilight!

WARNING: Do not take past the recommended dosage as side-effects may include small asteroids and planets starting to orbit your giant wang. p***s may also sprout fangs and try to bite people, if this happens, wack it with a rolled up newspaper or something till it stops.

Prokofiev could play piano chords with his amazing double-action p***s, only available for a limited time from a local retailer.
User Image

Toothsome Fatcat

Latkes, I would adore you if you stayed here awhile when this thing gets up and running and do lectures for people with questions about writing.

Or just rant. I'd love it if you ranted.

3,150 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100

I would love it if I had anything decent on my USB or my computer, but, alas, I do not. D:

latkes: I LOVE YOU. <3

...Scratch that. I love you all.

O.G. Elder

This Is Not Creative

I would love it if I had anything decent on my USB or my computer, but, alas, I do not. D:

Hah. Decent. Decency is for the weak.

Toothsome Fatcat

Hello, Creative, and welcome.

Tell more people?

And can you keep the font size regular maybe?
Ah Latkes.

I needed a good dose of Latkesian humor.

Moving on: What exactly is this for? Are we simply posting works? Are we critiquing works? Are we discussion writing techniques? Ideas? Methods? Beliefs? All of the above?

The 'mission,' so to speak, of this thread seems a little vague...

Not that a collection of some of the more... aware... minds of the WF isn't something that peaks my curiosity.

3,150 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Black Gabriel
This Is Not Creative

Hah. Decent. Decency is for the weak.
B-But I have not written in a while.
Scratch that, actually, I have a clique introduction I wrote for a neopets role play.

As for my font, yeah, I can. Sorry.

Toothsome Fatcat

All of the above. The mission?

To have a place to discuss writing while also sharing in the knowledge of writing essentials, techniques, etc, and also to work towards some sort of large collection of written works by different people.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff