Welcome to Gaia! ::

READ THIS FIRST POST SO YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO.

In my high school creative writing class, we have to complete a daily Sense Book entry. Thus, I decided to post a Sense Thread in the Writers Forum.

NISHIN, WHAT DO I DO?
Abstract Words & Concrete Words
1. Someone/Anyone posts an abstract adjective or an abstract noun (emotions come to mind, but not always the case).
2. Anyone else quotes the word and, using the five senses, writes concrete imagery that he/she associates with the contributed adjective or noun.

In other words, when someone posts an abstract adjective or noun, others use the five senses to make said abstract adjective or noun into concrete imagery. The point of this thread is to share ideas and critique other's responses.

Key words here are MAKE ABSTRACT THINGS INTO CONCRETE IMAGERY. Do not contribute a concrete noun or adjective (ex: clouds). It must be abstract (ex: integrity).
*Try your best to stay away from cliches. Try to be original.* Yes, more than one person can use the same word, and you do not have to do the last suggested word in this thread; you can do the words in the previous pages.

Also, as a courtesy to others, try to distinguish your proposed word by bolding it, underlining it, coloring it, all caps, etc.

Here is an actual example:
Yuranai
Love looks like soft yellow-pink rays of light breaking through the grey clouds of a rainy day
Love feels like the tip of someons finger sliding softly down your back
Love smells like warm vanilla cream
Love sounds like the deep soft cooing sound of a pigeon
Love tastes like chocolate melting on your tongue
Do I have to pick a word now? Uhm...take : CRAZY

YunieCookie
Yuranai
CRAZY

Crazy looks like a child's first attempt at drawing.
Crazy smells like the tang of pickles.
Crazy sounds like the music from someone else's headphones on a busy street.
Crazy tastes like a casserole that you don't know the ingredients of.
Crazy feels like touching a familiar object with your eyes closed.

Next Word: Sadness

(Some of YunieCookie's could actually be more concrete, but this is the fundamental gist of the game.) Let's say that I then suggested the word "Love." Someone else could do Love, but can do Crazy instead, or both. It's basically word-association: associate the abstract thing with something concrete.

You don't have to post a new word for others, but it is a courtesy since this thread serves to help all who participate. Yes, more than one person can do the same word, and you do not have to do the last suggested word in this thread; you can do the words in the previous pages.

You can suggest words even if they have been suggested before. This thread is quite large, and it is impractical to keep track of every single suggestion. Suggest words on the assumption that it has not been done before.

I'm sorry, but you have to think in this thread. As things come up, if they ever do, I will clarify the rules. But so far, everyone has the gist of it.

Have fun!

Oh, and try to keep off-topic chatter to a minimum. You're free to discuss imagery and writing, other people's posts, etc. as long as it stays relevant. Debate of connotative and denotative meanings of words is always welcomed, as my creative writing class frequently transitions into such topics. Critiques must be constructive.

NISHIN, WHAT IS THIS SUPPOSED TO DO?
I'm particularly fond of original concrete imagery, as a writer and a reader, but that's just me. Often times, in an attempt to show and not tell (which is always recommended), a writer sometimes has a brain fart when trying to describe something as abstract as an emotion in an original way. Using this Sense Thread, see what others come up with or, preferably, what you come up with.

Use as many senses as you can; you don't have to use them all if you really can't think of one.

NISHIN, I'M DRAWING A BLANK! WHAT ARE THE FIVE SENSES?
Sight, touch, sound, smell, and taste.
Looks like....
Feels like....
Sounds like....
Smells like....
Tastes like....
You may also put it into prose form.

NISHIN, WHAT IF I CAN'T THINK OF A WORD?
If you are at a loss of words and want to propose a word, try one of these links:
http://dictionary.reference.com/ <A basic dictionary with thesaurus capabilities
http://www.onelook.com/reverse-dictionary.shtml < A reverse dictionary that allows you to put in a definition and it will spit out words that are close, if not the exact, to the meaning.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

~*~

NO SELF-PROMOTIONS unless, of course, in your signature. I want to promote my own writing blog all over the place, but I save that for my other social media accounts.

NISHIN, CAN I QUOTE THE FIRST PAGE? Yes and no. Only sections to prove a point about the rules of this thread should they ever be in dispute while I am not here. You cannot quote the entire thing; that's just annoying.

NISHIN, YOU POST SO MUCH ON GAIA. WHAT DO YOU DO WITH YOUR GOLD IF YOU DON'T QUEST FOR STUFF?
I've decided that I will donate at least 1000 gold to regulars of this thread who tell me via their siggy or profile or Journal entry that they are questing for things. Of course, that is only if I have at least 1000 gold. Depending on the size of the quest, what you have at the moment, and what I have, my donations will vary. I may even donate things to sell on the Marketplace and such (something is better than nothing).

~*~PRAISE FOR THE SENSE THREAD!~*~

Azrael Liquidfyre
It's too bad this thread didn't live longer. It was a fun concept.
We should try to keep it alive as long as possible, which we can do through participation and a bump if this falls off the first page. For concrete imagery everywhere, I require optimism for keeping this alive (or at least in a zombie state)!
Visit the Maj Tahal
My liking anything is probably just a kiss of death, 'round here, but I like this thread in a way I don't think I've ever liked any game-like thread started in this forum. This seems both useful and sensible.
If this thread does get kicked to the Shadow Realm, wherever that may be, then refer to Endrael's ever-useful link list. But yeah, thanks for giving this thread the kiss of death.
Azrael Liquidfyre
(Yay! I'm so glad this thread has survived! Anyways..)
It gets by with a little help from its faithful fans.
polka-dottedsox
((p.s. greatest thread ever. I love you for making this!))
I love you for loving me.
rachaella22
Ooh, this looks pretty neat. I could always use more practice with descriptions.
And it's here to stay, it seems. biggrin

IF THIS DOES GET KICKED TO WHEREVER-VILLE, I HAVE ONLY THIS TO SAY IN MY DEFENSE:
WF Rules
Game Threads and Roleplays (RPs)
"Games" are threads which are structured primarily around a "gimmick" or rules. This may include things such as "Answer a question and make a question for the next user", "Round Robin" story creation threads, or threads which are based around a structured cycle of user input. Games can also include "What would your MC/Villian/Etc do/say/think/etc.?" threads. Game threads are not allowed in the Writers forum because they rarely generate discussion or help people developing their writing skills. Games are best suited to the Chatterbox or Word Games forum.

I do believe that, since this thread will help others develop their ability to write concrete imagery, this thread does belong in this forum. Yes, I did copy and paste this from the rules announcement and changed nothing in it (except the formatting to highlight my defense).

~*~
RULES LAST UPDATED: 6 March 2014 -- Slightly modified the rules. You may NOT suggest a concrete noun/adjective because that defeats the purpose of the game.

3,600 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Cheerleader 200
  • First step to fame 200
I'll try first smile

Love looks like soft yellow-pink rays of light breaking through the grey clouds of a rainy day

Love feels like the tip of someons finger sliding softly down your back

Love smells like warm vanilla cream

Love sounds like the deep soft cooing sound of a pigeon

Love tastes like chocolate melting on your tongue

I tried.

Do I have to pick a word now? Uhm...take : CRAZY

Silent Star

17,250 Points
  • Married 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Conventioneer 300
Yuranai
CRAZY

Crazy looks like a child's first attempt at drawing.

Crazy smells like the tang of pickles.

Crazy sounds like the music from someone else's headphones on a busy street.

Crazy tastes like a casserole that you don't know the ingredients of.

Crazy feels like touching a familiar object with your eyes closed.

Next Word: Sadness
YunieCookie
Sadness

Sadness looks like the vacant eyes of a lonely puppy sitting in the pound.

Sadness smells like lily flowers in mourning.

Sadness sounds like a last breath.

Sadness tastes like dry throat.

Sadness feels like you can't breathe.

Next Word: Anger
We did a similar exercise to this in a writing course I took in high school. We modeled it after a piece by Ray Bradbury. I'll try to find it.

SugarRos

Next Word: Anger

Anger looks as though she were malnourished, thin hair torn away from the root.
Anger smells like stomache acid and filterless cigarettes on the breath of a seductive coo
Anger sounds like the oppressive silence to follow the scream of a banshee
Anger tastes like regurgitated promises set in reverse
Anger feels as though she were pushing beneath ivory flesh, trying to burst the blue veins then green

Okay kids. now try out Time

6,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
Mademoiselle Unetelle
Okay kids. now try out Time

Time looks like a bright star, far away, slowly fading into nothing.
Time smells like the most precious scent to one's heart.
Time sounds like the gentle breeze blowing through an open, grassy field.
Time tastes like chocolate; both bitter and sweet at once.
Time feels as if its trickling through your fingers like sand.

Try out: Confusion
Confusion looks like a wave on an angry sea.

Confusion smells like bruised apples left out in the sun.

Confusion sounds like the lone cry of a crow on the wind.

Confusion tastes like rotting grapes; the color of bruises.

Confusion feels like you're trapped inside a tolling bell, never to escape.

Alright then, next word: Exhaustion
TBE

Joey was Exhausted.

His mouth tasted dry, from the lack of water
His stomach twisted into tight knots
He held it, probably making himself look pitiful to the other runners passing by
Even so, he reeked of his own sweat
and the sound of his heavy breathing reminded him of his days working in construction.

New word: Lust

Anxious Hunter

3,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
A Madness Shared by Two
TBE

Joey was Exhausted.

His mouth tasted dry, from the lack of water
His stomach twisted into tight knots
He held it, probably making himself look pitiful to the other runners passing by
Even so, he reeked of his own sweat
and the sound of his heavy breathing reminded him of his days working in construction.

New word: Lust

You're doing it wrong.
It's too bad this thread didn't live longer. It was a fun concept.
Exhaustion looks like old bruises clouding a pale cover of skin.

Exhaustion smells like stomach acid in an old, rotting alleyway, with the bricks deteriorating into dust.

Exhaustion sounds like the ringing of a bass drum long after it has been struck.

Exhaustion tastes like melted pills on the back of the throat, without any water to wash away the vile feeling.

Exhaustion feels like all the energy inside is being dragged out and fed to some insidious dark force which watches from the shadows.
Lust looks like the red blood of the human race spilling from a silently-weeping wound of passion.

Lust smells like roses laced with cinnamon, like a long night of spent passion between silken sheets.

Lust sounds like the cries of an overjoyed girl and the low grunts of a coveted male, mixing together in a thick symphony of need.

Lust tastes like cherries dipped in chocolate and blood, and swathed in gauze soaked with vanilla extract.

Lust feels like a fire that burns deep inside, licking at the loins, deep beneath the skin, driving one insane until one gives in to the need.

Next word: Sickness.

Invisible Ghost

Sickness looks like a corpse that has been picked at by a vulture.

Sickness feels like snotty, used tissues filling your head until you can't think straight.

Sickness smells like stomach acid mixed with fresh blood.

Sickness sounds like a smokers hack.

Sickness tastes like dead toads.

Envy.

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
Envy looks like the old woman huddled in the bus shelter watching teens saunter in and out of the mall.

Envy feels like a broken high heel.

Envy smells like fresh coffee as you're walking out the door.

Envy sounds like someone else's laughter.

Envy tastes like what the person at the next table ordered.

Terror.

Liberal Member

3,450 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Terror looks like the positive pregnancy test on a college student's financial means.

Terror feels like the cold gun metal at the back of your head.

Terror smells like the bitter, acrid smoke of the fire around you and knowing you cannot get out.

Terror sounds like the foot steps behind you as you walk alone after dark that should not be there.

Terror tastes like the blood on your own tongue.

Fierceness.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces