Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Question Box
User Tested, Penden Approved!

I started this thread once before, but it was burried in the sands of time. Hopefully I'll be around long enough to keep this one alive. ^_^

The idea behind this is fairly simple: sometimes, no matter how much you try to research something for a story, the Internet and reference books fail you. Fortunately, other people often turn out to know the exact thing you're looking for. I'm a stickler for research, and having a fact vauge or wrong drives me insane. I know a lot of people hoard facts, so everyone's expertise will be welcome.

This thread, I figured, could consolidate a lot of the question threads in this forum, making it easier for the mods and everyone all around.

When you're posting a question:

--Please be specific as to what information you need
--Make an honest attempt to find out what you need before asking here
--Don't complain if no one replies. Gaia's huge, so if no one here knows, it must be a right puzzler.
--Try to answer a few questions

When you're replying to a question:

--Please specify or quote the question you're answering
--Include links to relevant sites, if you can
--Be respectful
--Try not to repeat what other people have said, unless you have a few points to add

Ready, then? Set? Fire away!
Great idea. I remember seeing a whole section for this sort of thing in the NaNoWriMo forum. *bookmarks thread* This is bound to come in handy eventually. biggrin
Yes, I loved that section of the NaNoWriMo forums... lovely useful, it was.

Okay, I've got a question...

Does anyone know how much it would cost to fly to the Orkney Islands-- the little group of islands north of Scotland, from, say, Washington, DC? I'm assuming that one would have to fly into a bigger place, maybe Edinburgh or even London. Also, any idea how long it might take?
Quote:
Yes, I loved that section of the NaNoWriMo forums... lovely useful, it was.

Okay, I've got a question...

Does anyone know how much it would cost to fly to the Orkney Islands-- the little group of islands north of Scotland, from, say, Washington, DC? I'm assuming that one would have to fly into a bigger place, maybe Edinburgh or even London. Also, any idea how long it might take?

My brother (who travels around the UK quite a bit for his job), says it's more common to take a ferry from Aberdeen to the Orkneys after you get a flight to England/Scotland.

Don't know about how long it takes from DC to Britain, but when I went from Toronto, the flight THERE took 5 and a half hours, the flight BACK took 7. They're only about 500 kilometres apart from one another, soooo... it should be approximately the same length of flight. No more than 40 minutes more from Washington.

Sorry I can't be any more help.
The net never fails me ... except when Road Runner goes down. Google and everything2.net (the latter is not necessarily work, or family-friendly, but it's hostile to those in a text-only manner) babeh.

9,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
  • Pie For All! 300
I doubt anyone can help me with this, but I'll try my luck.

I need to size a country and/or figure out how many days my characters are traveling across said country. There are five of them, they're on foot, and one of them can barely walk. The country they're crossing is fairly small and in ruins, completely abandoned. (Please don't tell me that a small, ruined, abandoned country is highly unlikely. I know things you don't.) I'm supposing they have limited food supplies, but I could always have them...er...forage for berries...<< They're actually starting from the capitol of the country, but since they reached this capitol over the course of one day's walking/vigorous running through underground tunnels, it would seem the ruined city would be uncommonly close to the border, though (unbeknownst to them) they're going the long way. So I suppose my questions would be...

What is a reasonable size for a small country?
How fast can the average (burdened) human walk in a day without completely exhausting themselves?
How many day's worth of food supply is reasonable for a group of people traveling on foot? (Egads, are they insane?)

Also, is it reasonable to have a capitol so close to a border?

Kawaii Sage

(For Raincrow) I'm not sure about the rest, but I'd say if they're going the LONG way, and they reach the capitol in the day, that's WAY too close to the border, unless either a) the country isabout two day's journey across (going the long way), or b) it's so peaceful around there, no one's known the meaning of the word "war" (and so on) for over a millenium (okay, exaggeration, but I think you get my point.)

Sorry I couldn't help you more, but (just guessing here, don't take my word on it) if they're used to traveling burdened, they could probably go a few miles in a day.
Raincrow: It takes me (being neither super-fit nor excessively overweight) about eleven and a half minutes to run one mile, unburdened. It takes my brother and me forty minutes to walk three miles burdened, (that's 13.3 minutes per mile) and after that I'm dead tired and ready for a break.

I'd guess an average person could travel 3-4 miles per hour, stopping periodically to rest. Probably a lot less miles and a lot more breaks, though, if one of your characters is crippled. There's also the terrain to take into account. My answers here are based on the assumption that the ground is flat and free of obstacles.

As for the size you want your country to be, I'd suggest looking at a world map, finding a country about the size you want yours to be, and then looking up its size. I can't think of anything better. sweatdrop
In my opinion, the only reason to have a capital city near the border is (other than it being small and/or peaceful, like Anrea said) is that it's on or surrounded by some type of natural defence, like mountains, a very high and rugged plateau... Even in between two rivers could probably work if the country in question and the surrounding countries are extremely landlocked and don't have use for boats. (I'd think that any invaders coming from a long distances wouldn't want to have to bring boats or construction supplies, but who knows. Some leader in the Middle East did it ages ago sweatdrop ) You said your characters were going by an underground route so even with mountains and such on the surface, it might be easier for them to get to the city.

I think in the last Question Box thread someone asked about walking/riding rates for humans. Could be wrong though, I only lurked and it was a while ago that I read it.
I've heard a number of interpretations of the symbolic meanings of dogs in stories; what do you guys think dogs symbolize?
Hmm. In Western civilization, rendedangel, dogs usually symbolize fidelity, honor, and patience. In the Bible, however, the only mention of dogs is as techerous animals that surround people when they're already in trouble. I suppose it depends on the point of view.
Remarkable..
Quote:
Hmm. In Western civilization, rendedangel, dogs usually symbolize fidelity, honor, and patience. In the Bible, however, the only mention of dogs is as techerous animals that surround people when they're already in trouble. I suppose it depends on the point of view.

That's interesting. . . Perhaps the Bible leaves out distinctions between wild and domesticated dogs, and is referring to jackals or something. The general consensus seems to be that dogs represent fidelity, stability, and patience. Thanks ^ ^
Hmmm. There were domesticated dogs around when the Bible was being written, but who knows?

Thanks to everyone who answered my question, by the way. ^_^
Hmm, the Rebirth of the Question box, yay! I liked lurking around there.
Anyway, I have a question about anatomy, a subject in which I know little to nothing about.

How hard would it be for a person who had webbed hands to grab and hold on to things? The webs/fins are between the thumb and pointer, pointer and middle, middle and ring and ring and pinky by the way.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces