Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've got fun little game. It's great. Bear with me.
Here are the rules:

1)I'm going to come up with the beginning of the sentence. (I'm sure you've all played this before, it's a pretty common writing game).
2) After I've come up with the sentence starter, I'll post it up.
3) You all are going to read the sentence starter and really think about it. I mean, REALLY think about what the sentence starter is.
4) Then, you all are going to watch as I finish the sentence for you, because you all have proven time and again (save a few exceptions) that you don't know what you are doing half the time.
5) You shall not confuse the word "story" with the word "plot." Within this thread, the word "story" shall mean everything contained within the writing. The point, the way if works with the audience, the plot, the characters, the setting, and the style. Even the format. Story= the sum of all aspects the entire piece of writing.
5) Then you may attempt to disagree and get squashed like cockroachs.

Here goes:

The Rules of Writing are____
Non-existant, save one. In which case "rules of writing" is a misnomer and the topic of this section should be:

The One Rule of Writing to Rule them All is ____
The story and it's purpose come before everything else. Before the plot, the characters, the setting, the style, the authors hopes and dreams, the fans hopes and dreams, your mother's hopes and dreams, let's shoot for blaspheme and say even before your god or gods hopes and dreams. And most certainly before the guidelines of writing. (We are going to overlook the obvious "sit down and write" and other other variant of the overtly obvious that everyone already knows. As opposed to the glaringly obvious that everyone seems to either overlook, forget, or not know. Such as the One Rule to Rule Them All) In short: the story as a whole is most important and everything else needs to serve the story as a whole.

The Guidelines of Writing are_____
s**t. Because every guideline is meant to keep you from making a mistake in writing: a mistake that may not even be present. But every guideline, despite trying to steer people away from mistakes, forgets that it is a servant to the One Rule of Writing to Rule Them All. And for that reason: all guidelines should be taken out back, have their feet cemented, shot, and then thrown in a river to sleep with the fishes. (that was the hyperbole, since some people don't understand. So yeah, while I dislike an strict adherence to these, overall they are guidelines for a reason, though some of them are more useful than others. Still, remember: "no rule should be followed off a cliff" to quote some random cite linked in the thread...)

Examples of False Prophets are_____
Show, don't tell.
Don't info-dump.
Don't use said.
Don't use variants of said.
Don't tag your dialogue.
Don't NOT tag your dialogue.
Don't use ____ method (EX: snowflake, MRU, etc.)
Always use ____ method.
Don't do your research.
Practice makes perfect
Always write in active voice (And it's corollary "don't ever write in passive voice" wink
Don't use lots of linking verbs
Any other rule or list of rules that claims to be a rule of writing but is not the One Rule of Writing to Rule Them All.

So, now that I've slapped you in the face with some truth (I have killed the God of Truth today and taken his power, so now I am the God of Discord and Truth) you have three options:

1) Agree on all counts.
2) Post another false guideline.
3) Disagree in any way and be squashed like a cockroach (as in, I will prove you wrong).

You are permitted to discuss the validity of any method or guideline, but you must also acknowledge that it is just a guideline and thus may be broken if it no longer serves the One Rule of Writing to Rule Them All. Else you shall be squashed like a cockroach.

Now please, stop posting about rules of writing. Stop posting about runny a** shitty guidelines that has very little value to an intelligent writer. Stop posting s**t period. And also: stop posting threads about your writing, your friends writing, inspiration, and any other overdone thread that may or may not break the rules.

You are dismissed back to your ignorance. Or you may stay in the blessed light of truth.
Workplace Boredom
Write.

If by write you mean right.
Ryiel
Workplace Boredom
Write.

I don't get my homophones confused.

The best way to learn is simply to do.
Workplace Boredom
Ryiel
Workplace Boredom
Write.

Oh but I think you do. [/random side tangent of pointlessness]

Plus, the thread is about more than just "sit down and write" it's about actually writing well. If that makes sense...
Practice makes perfect.

Ever heard of that little cliche?
A Madness Shared by Two
Practice makes perfect.

Not true. God makes perfect. Human makes imperfect.

And half the time, practicing aint worth jack. If you're a person too stubborn or idiotic to figure something out, practicing isn't going to do you any good.

A good one to add though.

Unless you were agreeing with me and adding another one: *squash*
Ryiel
Workplace Boredom
Ryiel
Workplace Boredom
Write.

Plus, the thread is about more than just "sit down and write" it's about actually writing well. If that makes sense...
Actually, 'sit down and write' is exactly what I'm saying!

I actually barely looked at your post, and just wrote 'Write' as a response to the title.

Then we might actually be on the same page by accident! So I'm agreeing with you. =]
You do realize you're not actually a good enough writer to warrant such arrogance, right?

Man-Hungry Conversationalist

8,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
You see, I knew if I sat around long enough you'd make a fool of yourself.

It's simple. Your debate says the rules of all writing boil down to your one 'rule to rule them all'.

Unfortunately, non-fiction in general, and certain topics of non-fiction, namely anything dealing with science, would disagree with you.

Unless, of course, you don't like being published, or getting taken seriously should you.

You may say your one rule covers this as 'purpose' determines which rules you follow. But, if the purpose requires following rules, your logic is flawed and other rules suddenly apply.

Now if I take your debate to mean The One Rule of Fiction Writing, I will say I disagree but.

I disagree that the rules mean s**t. The rules are there for a reason, and some people succeed DESPITE breaking the rules. Some people break the rules in a particular way for a very particular reason and succeed because of it. But this does not mean the rules don't apply at all.

If you write without ever using capital letters, you're not likely to 'succeed' at writing. If you use improper syntax all the time, you're likely to make it very difficult for your readers to follow, let alone critics and peers.

Now some of the rules you mentioned, for example, the Snowflake method. While I use the snowflake method, and enjoy it, I agree with its creator that not everyone should use it. It's a tool, not a rule. Anyone who says it should be used by everyone can go with the rules you sent out back.

Also, Workplace Boredom probably summed up a possible 'one' rule far better than you ever will.
Ryiel
A Madness Shared by Two
Practice makes perfect.

Not true. God makes perfect. Human makes imperfect.

And half the time, practicing aint worth jack. If you're a person too stubborn or idiotic to figure something out, practicing isn't going to do you any good.

A good one to add though.

Unless you were agreeing with me and adding another one: *squash*

Sorry but why do I have to agree with you?

Opinions are NOT facts
Adversative
You do realize you're not actually a good enough writer to warrant such arrogance, right?

I'm arrogant: therefore I can post with arrogance. It's sound logic if you ask me.

And it's not a matter of arrogance: it's a fact. Either your story is the most important thing or you've failed at something.
Punk Fox TH

Also, Workplace Boredom probably summed up a possible 'one' rule far better than you ever will.

Without even thinking, actually.
Workplace Boredom
Ryiel
Workplace Boredom
Ryiel
Workplace Boredom
Write.

Actually, 'sit down and write' is exactly what I'm saying!

I actually barely looked at your post, and just wrote 'Write' as a response to the title.

Then we might actually be on the same page by accident! So I'm agreeing with you. =]

Ha. Quote pyramids.

By the way, Workplace. Your signature is sexy.
Punk Fox TH

It's simple. Your debate says the rules of all writing boil down to your one 'rule to rule them all'.

Was there a point to that comment?

Quote:
Unfortunately, non-fiction in general, and certain topics of non-fiction, namely anything dealing with science, would disagree with you.

Not true. The point of those is not to tell a story (in which case you have to change the word story to purpose) You seem to be under the belief that somehow, the purpose or story is less important than anything it contains. Which makes utterly no sense. And since, when writing, you have to focus on doing what is BEST for the purpose or story as a whole (see why I just wrote story, it's much faster), any rule that you may have come up with has to be BEST for the writing, or else it should not be considered as something to follow.

Quote:
Unless, of course, you don't like being published, or getting taken seriously should you.

Or maybe because we're intelligent.

Quote:
you may say your one rule covers this as 'purpose' determines which rules you follow. But, if the purpose requires following rules, your logic is flawed and other rules suddenly apply.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. I know what I'm saying though: you have to understand that the Story comes first, everything else second. There is no flaw in that logic as everything else is a part of the story and thus cannot, in any way, shape, or form, be bigger or more important than the story.

Quote:
Now if I take your debate to mean The One Rule of Fiction Writing, I will say I disagree but.

Okay then.

Quote:
I disagree that the rules mean s**t. The rules are there for a reason, and some people succeed DESPITE breaking the rules. Some people break the rules in a particular way for a very particular reason and succeed because of it. But this does not mean the rules don't apply at all.

No, it means exactly what I said. The rules are s**t because everyone things they are actually rules. They must be taken with a grain of salt. If they don't apply towards helping your story, then DON'T OBEY THEM. Think of it as the Civil Rights movement: segregation was a law, but it was bad, so they didn't obey it. (and by we I mean the civil rights supporters in the 60s)

Quote:
If you write without ever using capital letters, you're not likely to 'succeed' at writing. If you use improper syntax all the time, you're likely to make it very difficult for your readers to follow, let alone critics and peers.

Unless, as I've stated, you have a valid and important reason (that they'd get) for NOT using capital letters. If you do not, then you should probably go about obeying the rule. I'm saying that as rules, they fail. As guidelines, they fail. As a suggestion: perhaps they might just work. *gasp*

Quote:
Now some of the rules you mentioned, for example, the Snowflake method. While I use the snowflake method, and enjoy it, I agree with its creator that not everyone should use it. It's a tool, not a rule. Anyone who says it should be used by everyone can go with the rules you sent out back.

I mentioned no rules, merely guidelines (and used a hyperbole to explain my hatred of them, but I've noticed that people in the WF don't understand exageration when they see it, another sign of failure). And not everyone should use it IF it isn't best for their writing. If it is, than said person SHOULD use it. Because it SERVES their story best..

Quote:

Except for two things.
1) I explicitly stated that this rule does not include the idea of "just write"
2) She agrees with me.

Consider yourself squashed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items