Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is this thread a baby boy or a baby girl?

He's an adorably little boy. 0.22183098591549 22.2% [ 63 ]
She's such a beautiful baby girl. 0.18661971830986 18.7% [ 53 ]
Threads don't have genders, so it's an it. 0.59154929577465 59.2% [ 168 ]
Total Votes:[ 284 ]
1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 >

Well, for anyone who's been at the FrankenThread, the poll asked if we should create a new thread about helping people end. And guess what: People said yes! So here we go, creating a thread to help everyone out, about endings. [Gasp]

Most of this is the same as the beginning (actually, all the rules are) so I've pretty much copied and pasted. If you've read the beginning guide rules, then you don't need to bother reading these (and vice versa). Like in the FrankenThread, we don't do contests EVER, and probably won't do fanfiction.

Here goes:

1) Anyone who breaks these will receive an official slap across the face by anyone who deems it necessary. Anyone who says/does anything stupid here will receive a slap across the face as well. AKA THE SLAP OF DOOM!!!
2) Do NOT post the story here. I'm certain someone out there will benefit from this. Since there are just so many stupid people If you simply must, then leave a link to somewhere else (another thread, fictionpress, etc.)
3) Please for the love of whatever deity you choose to worship (or your mother if you are atheist) DON'T just ask for help. Anyone who says "I need help for my ending too" will need to refer to rule #1.
4) Give a short (yet somewhat descript) summary of your plot. I'm not giving any limit, but obviously I don't want it extremely long. We will need more than a simple overall "boy meets girl and saves world" plot. We want the beginning, a few middle plot points, and a general direction it's going in.
5) Give us a short (and I mean short) bio on the major characters (and I mean major. If I get "well he's the 7/11 clerk behind the desk the one time my character goes in there," refer to rule #1.) It can be a simple paragraph, or a short character spreadsheet with only vital information. Their favorite food, dress, etc. will annoy me (and cause a Rule #1 reaction.) Either way, we need to know if they are the protagonist or antagonist or just a supporting character that you want to start the story with. EDIT: I made a mistake when I said short. Short does not mean what they do for an occupation or useless abilities, so I'm going to give you a character spreadsheet to fill out for the major characters in hopes that this will help out.
Quote:
Name:
Good character traits:
Bad character traits:
Personality traits:
Abilities/race:
Any weakness that is important:
Role in the story:
Appearance: (only if it's going to help us. If there isn't something about his appearance that is important, skip this)
Other important details: (key word: Important)

(If you have ideas for something else important please post it and I will put it here. I don't use spread sheets, so I'm not very good with them)
5) Tell us what the stories setting is. If you don't, please read rule #1 It's just not helpful. If you are set in a suburb of California and we don't know that, one could reply "Have him meet the King." We will need the type of world, whether there is magic or not. If they are extremely bound by culture or not (and if so what culture.) If the landscape affects the peoples lives drastically (freezing cold, mountainous, etc.) Essentially, give more information. Skimpy details are impossible to decode. But keep it rather short, so determine what is important.
6) Anyone can reply here this isn't an "Ask Ryiel" thread. But I must ask, be kind yet helpful. We aren't here to say how stupid someones idea is, just to help them start.
7) I'm sure I'll add more, or change something, so be prepared

Mrs. Teach
GIVE ME MORE OF THE PLOT! I can't help you if I don't know what's supposed to happen.

I'm making three requests:
1) Please give help, whether in general and just "I do this" or more specific to a person and actually telling them what you think they should do.
2)Please DO NOT BUMP! If your post has no purpose, you will instantly receive a SLAP OF DOOM. I don't think this was a rule before, but Mrs. Teach is right... it's annoying so we will do so.
3)If you've received help that actually allows you to end a story with a BANG! please give us a testimonial. Come back and post what we did, how we helped (basically say this place is wonderful) and then click the thumbs up at the top (cuz I have a dream of making it to sticky-hood and that other thing in the community section where the favorite threads of the day or week are put.
User Image

None currently.

These are contest advice, but they are still extremely valuable and should be read. Go CONTEST!!!

There are some in the beginning guide, but none here.
User Image

Advice Contest. 20 people will offer up to 3 pieces of advice each, when all 20 are done, the judges will... judge. Best advice for beginning or ending (the beginning guide will house the advice pertaining to a beginning) wins. That simple. 5000 gold to the winner.
1) It ends when 20 people enter, no sooner or later.

I'd say that's enough, but we'll just do this too, some rules:
1) I will allow multiple attempts. If you have three good ideas, then post all three, I'll take the BEST one. In other words, I'm taking twenty people, not twenty ideas. But I will limit the number ideas I'll take from one person to three. Otherwise others won't have a fair chance.
2) Please, no cursing
3) The winner will be chosen by Captain and Teach. No one else. Nobody can sway our decision (at least Teach's, line my pockets and I might let you win... course I can't see how that helps you in the long run) So yes, no arguing. I don't care if your friend/your mother/your god thinks your idea is the best, this is MY contest, so MY rules.
4) You must follow all of the thread rules or I'll disqualify you (And keep your tips)
5) Don't repeat previous entries/ideas (or I'll tell you to change your entry)
6) Do use good grammar/spelling, if I don't understand you, you'll fail right away
7) Do understand, I don't speak netspeak/chattalk, or any of that crap, so if you use this and I can't figure it out, not only will I not let you win, but I'll remove you from the contest, keep any entry fee, and give you a SLAP OF DOOM!
8 ) No refunds... sorry
9) I reserve the right to change these rules and any time (probably sooner rather than later)

There is an entry fee of 50 gold that must be paid to Prince Yorae (my mule) if you wish to enter. All gold goes to the prize pot, and the prize money is set in place (unless someone donates money to it, in which case it will go up.) This contest is easy and simple, so I don't think it deserves much more gold than that, but more importantly: Please give good help. It will benifit this and the beginning guide more than you know.

And finally breaking any rule but number 7 will result in the SLAP OF FAILURE! It's a lesser slap, not as powerful as the SLAP OF DOOM! But it is still a formidable slap and painful too. Please don't break the rules. Thank you, have fun, enter the contest, don't forget the entry fee, enjoy.

User Image

THREAD GODS! (We are in charge. We've been here the longest and helped out the most. Essentially we are like the Captain and Vice Captains of a guild. We can change stuff at our discretion, and ban you from the thread at our discretion. We each wield a powerful punishment weapon, don't get hit by it.)

--Ryiel (Me, and you will call me Tezzy, or tezcotlipoca... yeah, I thought you'd like Tezzy better)
--Senari1 (Teach, and you will call her Tia or Tiamat. The dragon goddess of chaos)

DEMI-GODS! (These are important. They help out a lot, have come back often to ensure everything is going well and are my trusted aids. Don't disrespect them, they are the crew of my thread. They can tell me to put you on a banned list. I've never needed a ban list, and I don't want one, but I will use one if necessary. Don't anger them.)

--Astrid-57 ( Freya, the goddess of cats)
--Hellenistic (Ganesha, god of squirrels)
--Strawberriekey (Narco, goddess of Nightmares)
--Shalaal (Crow, god of Black Fire)

MORTAL DENIZENS! (These are people who find the thread so fun (or helpful... mainly helpful) that they return several times. While they are not in any way in charge, they are generally good rule followers, will possibly help you, have offered great advice (or not) and probably should be listened to. They are like thread regulars, they know the rules. If they tell you to fix something, you should do it, so that I don't see it. Make sense?)

--SiggyChan (Nature)
--Moyayuki (Aka Star)
--Oni Akai
--Reinna Asteral
--Karaiya
--Aeris Merai (needs a nickname)

Alright, anyone else is simply a mortal asking for help at our lovely... shrine? Anyway, I'm also going to include a special thanks area here.

Special thanks to Senari1 for being so amazing and helping out.
Special thanks to Aeris Merai for the aid with the character spreadsheet
A not so special but still somewhat special thanks to all those who offered advice (regardless of the contest)

User Image

None Currently

User Image

Since I'm certain that some people could be afraid that we will steal there work, or even worse, we won't help out at all and make things terrible for you, I've decided that anyone who receives help and it works SHOULD post something about how great this thread is (or just PM me.) I'm not able to give out prizes or anything, but think of it this way: We helped you get your story started or organized, the least you could do is help us out by giving this thread a testimonial (and then clicking the button up top that's a thumbs up) Anyway, if you do either, you will be loved for eternity.
Here goes:

None Currently

Other Threads By Ryiel:
The "I need help with the beginning" Guide [FrankenThread] <== Click here if you need help with beginning your story
Let's Bring a Little Culture to this Place [A Guide]
Finally, I've killed Mary-Sue *Hooray!*

Fashionable Lunatic

TEZZY!!! Your second baby has come to life! As the godmother I reserve the right to spoil it.

*hands the thread a lollipop*

I have no advice to give to the denizens of the WF at the moment and thus shall have to wait to be helpful.
TEZZEHHHHH!!!

What is this nonsense?
Mortal denizen am I? XDD Nice new thread.
Sweet! I've been hoping for a thread like this.

Name: Wilbur McCarthy
Good character traits: Loyal
Bad character traits: Smarmy and sarcastic
Personality traits: Dry and sarcastic, and because of this has trouble with people.
Abilities/race: Human, can paint/draw extremely well. Like, professional.
Any weakness that is important: Clinically depressed and a cutter
Role in the story: Main character/narrator
Other important details: He's clinically depressed and a closet cutter. His parents aren't married but live together (this is important)

Name: Jenna Philips
Good character traits: Happy-go-lucky, bubbly
Bad character traits: Has a tendency to insult people without meaning to, but thinks it's funny later. She also tends to belittle other people's short-comings or doesn't listen to them and puts herself first.
Personality traits: Though she doesn't intend to, she's usually insulting someone if she's talking. Very happy most of the time, but does brood.
Abilities/race: Human. Can paint/draw really well.
Any weakness that is important: None
Role in the story: Second main character, Wilbur's best (and only) friend. She doesn't know that he's a cutter.
Other important details: Her parents are divorced, her father remarried to the mother of Jenna's half brother Tori (he's really not that important, because he doesn't show up much). Though it doesn't bother her that her parents are divorced, she complains about having to live with her mother.

The setting of the story is in a small town in America with a population of around five hundred, mostly old people. Because of this, most of the beliefs are very old fashioned. Because of this, most people in the town think the McCarthy's are amoral, seeing as they weren't married when their son was born and have yet to even mention marriage as they don't see it's necessary. Though this is one factor to Wilbur's depression, it's not the only one. He is, simply, clinically depressed and he doesn't really have a reason to be depressed that he can think of. Jenna, after moving with her mother from a large city, befriends Wilbur and ends up telling him about all of her troubles instead of listening to his. When she invites him to go her dad's house for the weekend that she visits him, he ends up cutting in the bathroom like he normally would but ends up cutting an artery.

That's where I have problems. I don't know where to go from there.

So, I hope I did everything right and won't get the SLAP OF DOOM.
ZanarkandFayth, I've decided to try my best at answering your plea, but I shant quote all that stuff. No need to stretch out the page doing that, right? Let's see...

I think you should go more into what Wilbur is depressed about. You said nothing in particular, but that makes it hard to know what you're doing. The way you've written the begining will give the idea of what the mood is. Is the story about Wilbur coming to terms with his problems, or Jenna with hers? Is it them helping each other through their problems? Is it going to develop into romance, friendship, a brother-sister relationship? How do Wilbur's parents get along? Are they the happy, perfect, "nuclear family" (that's the phrase, isn't it?) sans marriage, or fighting often? Do they pay a lot of attention to Wilbur or ignore him? One more than the other? I guess what I need is more info, otherwise I can't help much.

Fashionable Lunatic

Awesome! Someone that needs us! And I love you for using the word smarmy. I think it's underused. That or I just find it to be fun.

Since I am pretty darn sure that cutting an artery is very a bad thing, a hospital trip is probably needed. But since he's depressed will he ask for Jenna/her dad's help, or will he decide that bleeding out in their bathroom is the way his life is supposed to end. Maybe he could be letting himself bleed and thinking about how everyone's better off that way and then Jenna ends up finding him, or he has an epiphany of some sort that makes him want to live that makes him call out for help finally....

Actually I have a question before I continue to ramble. Does Wilbur die in the end?
ArmasTermin
ZanarkandFayth, I've decided to try my best at answering your plea, but I shant quote all that stuff. No need to stretch out the page doing that, right? Let's see...

I think you should go more into what Wilbur is depressed about. You said nothing in particular, but that makes it hard to know what you're doing. The way you've written the begining will give the idea of what the mood is. Is the story about Wilbur coming to terms with his problems, or Jenna with hers? Is it them helping each other through their problems? Is it going to develop into romance, friendship, a brother-sister relationship? How do Wilbur's parents get along? Are they the happy, perfect, "nuclear family" (that's the phrase, isn't it?) sans marriage, or fighting often? Do they pay a lot of attention to Wilbur or ignore him? One more than the other? I guess what I need is more info, otherwise I can't help much.

Actually, after researching true, clinical depression I've found that a lot of people who are aren't sure what the cause of their unhappiness is. In Wilbur's case, he's irritated with himself for not know why he is. He thinks that his parents are unhappy, not because they don't love each other, but because they really don't have much contact with their families who were against them having/keeping Wilbur.

There will be an underlying romance between Jenna and Wilbur, but I'm not planning on really bringing it out much more than there deep care and concern for each other.

Wilbur's parents do love each other dearly, but they just never saw the need in them getting married. They pretty much saw Wilbur being born as the official tying of the proverbial knot. Like any other "married" couple, they have their usual arguments and things that they don't exactly agree on, but all in all they do get along. They also love Wilbur immensely and pay a lot of attention to him, but don't see his sarcastic and at times brooding attitude as being any different than any other teenager. They also don't see his cutting because he takes great precautions with long sleeved shirts that he doesn't ever roll up.
Senari1
Awesome! Someone that needs us! And I love you for using the word smarmy. I think it's underused. That or I just find it to be fun.

Since I am pretty darn sure that cutting an artery is very a bad thing, a hospital trip is probably needed. But since he's depressed will he ask for Jenna/her dad's help, or will he decide that bleeding out in their bathroom is the way his life is supposed to end. Maybe he could be letting himself bleed and thinking about how everyone's better off that way and then Jenna ends up finding him, or he has an epiphany of some sort that makes him want to live that makes him call out for help finally....

Actually I have a question before I continue to ramble. Does Wilbur die in the end?

I've loved the word smarmy ever since I heard someone describe Gigi from Kiki's Delivery Service as smarmy. xd

Yeah, cutting an artery is pretty much a bad thing. I like the epiphany thing, though. I don't want him to die and the cutting of the artery was an accident. Jenna called for him because he was in the bathroom for a while and she startled him, making him cut higher up on his wrist and deeper than he usually would have. I want her to find him, and just as he's blacking out (but not dying) he sees that she's really worried, calling for her brother to call an ambulance. But I don't want him to die.

Fashionable Lunatic

So he'll end up at the hospital, and it's rather probable that his parents and/or Jenna will be at his bedside when he wakes up. By this point it'll have become obvious to the doctors that he was depressed and cutting and will have to undergo medication and/or therapy for it.

What do you want to have happen to the characters? Will Jenna start blaming herself for being so concerned with her own problems? Will the parents fight more because they didn't get married and see it as the source of his problems? Will Wilbur have a new outlook on life? I don't know, throw me a bone! Just don't throw the bone at me because if I'm not looking and it hits me in the head I'll be mad.
Senari1
So he'll end up at the hospital, and it's rather probable that his parents and/or Jenna will be at his bedside when he wakes up. By this point it'll have become obvious to the doctors that he was depressed and cutting and will have to undergo medication and/or therapy for it.

What do you want to have happen to the characters? Will Jenna start blaming herself for being so concerned with her own problems? Will the parents fight more because they didn't get married and see it as the source of his problems? Will Wilbur have a new outlook on life? I don't know, throw me a bone! Just don't throw the bone at me because if I'm not looking and it hits me in the head I'll be mad.

xd I won't throw it without warning you.

Jenna would probably blame herself a little, if only because she felt that she had always been more concerned with her own problems because he never really said anything about his own. I don't think that his parents would really fight as much as they'd get angry with themselves. I'm wondering if I should end with Wilbur getting that new outlook, seeing that all these people really do care for him, or if I should go on a bit farther...though I'm not sure where that would be.

Fashionable Lunatic

Well, I can tell you with a small degree of certainty that his outlook on life probably wouldn't change overnight. He didn't mean to try to kill himself so he might be freaked out at first that it almost happened, but once the shock of that wore off he'd probably sink back into depression without therapy to help him.

You could always end it with him waking up at the hospital, and then do an elilogue of one year later. You can then show how his life has changed, if at all, how his relationship with Jenna progressed, etc. etc.
Senari1
Well, I can tell you with a small degree of certainty that his outlook on life probably wouldn't change overnight. He didn't mean to try to kill himself so he might be freaked out at first that it almost happened, but once the shock of that wore off he'd probably sink back into depression without therapy to help him.

You could always end it with him waking up at the hospital, and then do an elilogue of one year later. You can then show how his life has changed, if at all, how his relationship with Jenna progressed, etc. etc.

Thank you very much. That would probably be the best thing to do, and therapy and medication will probably come into play. I like the idea of an epilogue too. Thank you for all the help. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff