Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dearest reviewers, fanbrats, and loyal squee-squad

Some authors no doubt love having their own private cheerleaders. Some authors even write for these people, for some inscrutable reason. However, some writers are superior to needing an ego boost every time they string together a sentence. They show genuine promise. Maybe not true talent (since if they had that, they would not have a squee squad. These things seem to be mutually exclusive for some reason) but enough potential to be good writers.

Except you, dear squee squad, are holding them back. The story they're working on has said potential. It has a plot that is reasonably involving. The characters are sufficiently deep. The writing passes for interesting. Then YOU go and ask that everything about it turns into happy fluffy bunnies and ejaculated rainbows, with one or more happy endings (preferably before the plot reaches a climax in the first place). Somehow, the squee squad wishes the authors they worship to remain in the swamp of mediocrity, forever churning out more tripe that is only readable by someone with extraordinary sugar tolerance.

Please, stop it. Before someone gets hurt. You don't even have to give concrit. Leave that to the professionals. (or at least the masochists) Just take a step back from the story after you finish reading. Take a look. What made the story interesting? Maybe the character's pain? The trouble they were having in their life? The way the entire world seems to collapse before it starts getting better?

Now, imagine you take that away.... you would no longer have the story you just read. And it's the story you read that you're supposed to comment on, not the story without the actual story.

Find what you found interesting, not what you would like in a purely ideal world. Let the author know what you found.

Your author will thank you for it. Eventually.
Huh?

no-one is above the occasional encouragement or praise. Don't even think there are people out there that are that self confident.

Re-evaluate why you write. Is it for you or for the masses that demand you conform to their standards. If you are writing for the masses, deal with it! They want fluffy bunnies, you better write fluffy bunnies. If you're writing because you enjoy writing as an art (which is where I fit in) then the masses can go jump and you can write what you want. Easy solution to your problem.

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
True that nobody is above encouragement or praise... but I think I get what's being said.

As a fanfiction writer, (horrible, I know, but it's what I do...) there are two kinds of reviews that I really don't like.

The first is the one-liner. "WOW THIS STORY ROCKS UPDATE PLZ!"
While it's nice to know somebody liked the story, this doesn't really tell me what about the story they liked, so I can't go further into that. It doesn't tell me what they didn't like, so I don't know what to work on. It doesn't tell me squat except that the story was read and the reader apparently liked it. (And even that's questionable. With a line that ambiguous, they may have even just skipped past the story and left the review without reading it...)

The second is a review with suggestions that were obviously not thought twice about before being stuffed in, (especially pairing suggestions, since I've noted several times in my author notes that I don't/can't write romance).
One good example of this that I can think of off the top of my head was a review I received once telling me that I should "include reincarnation somehow" when there wasn't even anything about dying in the main storyline. If I'd heeded this request, I would have had to create a whole new unimportant side character just to have them die and be reincarnated. That would be stupid.
I think this is what was meant by requests for "happy fluffy bunnies and ejaculated rainbows" that, if followed, would turn the story into a carbon copy of millions of other pieces of junk out there.

So, yes, we as writers choose whether or not we write for the story itself or for the masses. However, even if we choose not to heed the pointless reviews, that doesn't stop them from being useless towards progressing as a writer.

My favorite kinds of reviews are those where the reader has clearly started writing the review as they started reading the story itself. I get comments on individual sections of the story, both good and bad.
"I loved your description for the battle sequence between..." and "I think these comments here were a little out of character. Maybe include an explanation here?"
You know? Comments, suggestions, etc. Even corrections on Grammar in some cases is appreciated merely because it's something concrete that tells me that the reader actually read the story.

So while those kinds of reviews are rare, they are well loved and well appreciated. Please, reviewers, make your reviews be of this kind! If you want to get on an author's good side, this is the best way to do it!
I agree with no one being above praise, and I agree with the OP about the sickening crap churned out as a result of people pressing for an ideal world (I'm one of those masochists, so I can't stand that) and if people want all those fluffy bunnies, why are they even reading? AT ALL? Go watch a flipping anime or something. The rest of us like developed plot in our literature.
I live on praise, and the pros usually don't have time to crit unless they are swapping for critting fo their own stuff. "Ejaculated rainbows" is hilarious though. rofl I have occasionally seen writers get confused by totally inappropriate or subtly wrong suggestions for their stories, but I think writers, like any artist, must be responsible for finding and nurturing their inspiration and having the artistic integrity to make sure their final work says what they want it to say. And the other side of artistic integrity is not rejecting any suggestions out of hand but considering objectively whether a person is suggesting romance because it really would improve the story (or maybe you could substitute more emotional character interaction of some other type like a rivalry).

Tipsy Gawker

And I agree with all of you. Depending on whether you are writing for others or for yourself, you should want praise or despise it. Sometimes I get awkward with praise, especially if I think my work is crap. But, it's nice to know that someone reads your work (or wants you to think they did) and praize you for it. I love getting criticized for one main reason: it lets me re-evaluate my work and try to make it better (if that's even what it needs).
Musa Nocturna
They show genuine promise. Maybe not true talent (since if they had that, they would not have a squee squad. These things seem to be mutually exclusive for some reason)

I think if you go back to the dawn of time, you'll find there has never been a writer that didn't have a squee squad of some kind (parents, friends, drug-induced hallucinations....)

So I suppose no writers have ever been truly talented?

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
TillyMT
Musa Nocturna
They show genuine promise. Maybe not true talent (since if they had that, they would not have a squee squad. These things seem to be mutually exclusive for some reason)

I think if you go back to the dawn of time, you'll find there has never been a writer that didn't have a squee squad of some kind (parents, friends, drug-induced hallucinations....)

I think he's suggesting popular writers are bad writers.

7,950 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
I think that most growing writers (writers who continue to nurture their talent as they mature) will eventually grow past needing a squee-squad, at about the same time that she squee-squad starts to get bored with what they're writing. If anyone finds him/herself getting depressed at the 'smut-and-drama-between-magical-animeish-character' fans' turnoff, I think it's time that writer asks him/herself if they really want to stay at the same level of writing forever, or if they want to move up.

Tilly, I got the impression that the OP was pretty much talking about people on writing sites, like FF.net and places like that. The internet-story-posting community. Every writer worth his salt has someone who likes his writing, but that's a bit different from a rainbow-ejalutions-craving squee squad, dontcha think?
Klaark
TillyMT
Musa Nocturna

That's too bad. I know plenty of really good popular writers.
Klaark
TillyMT
Musa Nocturna

I think she's suggesting that fanfiction writers who indulge the desires of their squee squads are only ever capable of mediocrity.
Sumer By Night
Klaark
TillyMT
Musa Nocturna

I think she's suggesting that fanfiction writers who indulge the desires of their squee squads are only ever capable of mediocrity.

Which is entirely true! A talented writer gives the masses something completely different from what they wanted and makes them like it. Don't indulge the squee-squads! Make it new and exciting, not predictable and happy-fluffy ending!
Psh, are you kidding me? I loooove being praised for something I've written, and I honestly don't think I could tell you of anyone that doesn't.
As much as I like being praised, I also want to know what I can improve on. On fanfiction, I also dislike those one sentence comments that tell me nothing about what I should work on but that's all I've been getting T___T.
DaiHibi
As much as I like being praised, I also want to know what I can improve on. On fanfiction, I also dislike those one sentence comments that tell me nothing about what I should work on but that's all I've been getting T___T.

This is me. I started posting my chapters on myspace so that my friends could see what I'm writing and (hopefully) help me out (critiquing, ideas, corrections, inconsistencies, etc). At first, the only comments I recieved were "OMG I LOVE IT! I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THE REST!", which, I have to say, I appreciate. However, I wanted to know if they found anything wrong with anything. I mean, the impression I got from them was that the chapters were perfect, and nothing was wrong with them (which I knew wasn't right). Finally, when one of my guy friends started reading them, he caught mistakes I missed and had questions about every chapter. I'm the kind of person that usually can't take criticism, so I didn't think I'd be able to stand people seeing my work and telling me what they thought (and I'm still afraid of the straight-forward criticism I might get from people other than my friends, family), but if I had to choose between those one-liner praises and flat out "You messed up (here) and (here) and... what?!", I'd probably rather have the second one. Although, I'd really rather have nicely worded, but helpful comments, that tell me specifically what I need to work on.

ok, I'm done.. I just wanted to post my preference to reviews.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff