Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ellis quietly fingered the little bottle of cold that had lived in his pocket since the day he had been informed not once, but twice that it was necessary to lug around if he wanted to live out the rest of his days in relative comfort and consciousness. He resented how good it felt, how addictive a drug it had become, and how much more power it gave Neva over him. His fingers tightened around it, talisman and burden both, as he walked down the street, shoulders hunched defensively. He wasn't sure where he was going, only that he needed to get up, get out and move.

His feet and Neva's quiet, subtle prodding had taken him towards the Pantheon, but he hadn't been there so many times as to recognize the way. Now that they were stronger, Neva wanted to seek out more of her kith and kin, reestablish old ties and form new ones, learn the current goings-on of the court--find out who would be useful to her, who best to avoid and who to treat with a modicum of respect.
User ImageIt was warm there, laying in the sunlight and scaring children. The playground - as the sign had told him - was a fantastic place to go and lay. The city had removed many trees to assure their children would have a bright, sunny clearing to play in...only, he found it quite wonderful too -- and no children would come anywhere near the massive, mangled monster-dog that was sprawled across the top of the hexagonal monkey-bar cage.

Children were crying to their parents or running home to do so as Ellis wandered the street; as a matter of fact, one ran straight into Ellis. The pig-tailed little girl blubbered about a monster-dog and how she wanted her mommy to come and chase it away (the parents that had come down to see this "fierce beast" were appalled to see that their kids weren't lying at all!)

"Hmm...what's this?" The creature cocked it's head...a chilly, tickle-at-the-nose and bite-at-the-senses scent hit him: magic. Like the Alpha, but not.

A God was nearby? But where? He peered from his perch, keen eyes seeking the source...
A small, frantic body running smack into Ellis startled him out of his dim, gray reverie. The little girl's sobbing description of the monster that had taken residence in the park was garbled and almost incoherent, but just intelligible enough to pique the curiosity of goddess and host alike. Ellis's offer to help never made it out of his mouth as Neva, both disgusted and amused at the wound-up state of the child, pushed past the little girl and into the growing throng of onlookers. He stood on tiptoe as he tried to get a better view, jostling for position amongst the wary, curious herd.

Do you not need to first don a cape before you rush in to slay the beast? Neva taunted, reaching out with senses her host didn't possess until a wave of recognition washed over her. Ah, she said, soothing her host's body towards stillness. Well. That explains much; there is nothing for us to fear.

"What?" Ellis asked as he wound through the crowd, carefully elbowing people out of the way until he stood free of them, firmly in the no man's land between the frightened parents and the frightening beast. Nothing stood between Ellis and the creature now except for yards of sand and dilapidated playground equipment. There would be even less than that, soon, as Ellis started walking towards the thing atop the cage, shrugging off the worried voices that called out to him.
Ah - yes, there. A young man, moving towards him. The source of the power he'd caught; that was absolutely certain. Fragment could almost taste the chill bite on his tongue. Snowflakes and ice. A wintery god was housed in this one, yes.

Yu watched Ellis moving past the crowd, moving towards them, through Fragment's eyes. For all the things about his host he did not appreciate, the one thing he couldn't complain about was the beast's willingness to allow him free-use of his senses.

"Greetings, human. God-in-hiding." Fragment rumbled a greeting, ears twitching, tail tip curling around the metal that creaked under his weight. Dilapidated playground indeed. "I would like to eat you, but cannot. Pity, your scent is delicious.

"I cannot eat the children either. More of a pity, that."
This is a really bad idea, Ellis decided as he got ever closer to the giant, six-eyed beast.

Nonsense, Neva replied, pushing her reluctant host to climb the monster-laden structure; she would not stare up at this thing, nor would she have a shouted conversation with it, when they could easily share space. It is one of us. Can't you feel it?

Ellis's feet found tenuous purchase on the rusty bars of the cage, and he smiled warily at the creature as it addressed him. "Greetings, um...thing, and other thing," he replied, carefully settling himself against the cage, closer now to the beast than the ground. "Thanks for not eating us. Why can't you eat the children? I see nothing preventing you from doing so."
Three sets of eyes blinked one after the other; a staggered set up designed to assure that he was never unable to see. Fragment felt the metal groan under the added weight, just a little, but enough paired with his own bulk to strain the thing.

Human men, women and children milled about; a regular crowd of wary-afraid people that couldn't quite look away. Like a wreck on the freeway, the people had to look. Had to see if Ellis would be eaten or not - to watch the drama unfolding before them.

"We are Yu. I have no name, but use that of the Treasure." He chuckled and licked his chops; eyes seeking out the tender looking children longingly - oh, how he wanted to eat just one!.

"I will not allow him to eat innocent bystanders." Yu's tone, Yu's smoother language - but still the same raspy, gravelly voice. Rocks and glass and metal; scratchy.
Ellis stared unabashedly at the three tiers of eyes, marveling at them even as Neva soothed the urge to cringe in fear from the creature--all horns and teeth at odds with such fluffy, pettable fur. "Oh, it's nice to meet you, Yu," Ellis replied at an ungentle nudge from his own dubious treasure. "I'm Ellis, host of--"

"Neva, the Frozen Heart. Yours must rival my own, however; such a fine beast as this was not meant to be so restrained." The name the creature offered had struck no chord of immediate recognition within her, though it sounded familiar.
"Human, Ellis. Goddess of Frost." Fragment peeled his muzzle from his teeth, massive jaws cracking open to show off razor teeth easily the size of Ellis' hand. He was laughing - it was good to be recognized as a fine beast. His fur rippled with pleasure and Yu sighed inwardly.

"Greetings, Lady Neva. Formally, I am known as Yu, the Five Claw. Emblem to the Pillar." He could not trust his wicked host to introduce him fully, properly - as was his right. "Perhaps not, but restrained he must be for now.'

Yu's host's destructive power and potential were meant to be deployed at one person's command...Harmodius.
Eyes widened in appropriate awe at the sight of teeth more than sharp enough to make short work of him and the crowd, and anything unfortunate to find itself between them. "Uh, good doggy. Nice doggy."

The name, spelled out in all its titles and intricacies, took Neva by surprise--this transcended her expectations, at the same time dashing her hopes for a good afternoon's diversion. To provoke the host of a Dragon King into an act against said King's will would likely be met with harsh repercussions, none of which imagined possibilities she was willing or able to deal with right now. Still, that did not mean she couldn't make use of the day's outing; it was what she had come for, after all. "I understand. It is an interesting form you wear, nonetheless."
Probably a good idea, to not screw around with the host of a Dragon King - one of Harmodius' chosen. Fragment enjoyed Ellis' fright and obvious discomfiture with his teeth. They were big, they were sharp and scary...definitely not something that any normal person would ever come in contact to.

"It is a worthy form, or will be. My Lord would not have given it to me otherwise." Not precisely true, but that the Fragment's form would be a worthy one was quite likely to turn into a truth; so far the beast had not let him down and was - apparently - more amiable to being 'changed' than most others.

"And your own host? He seems a bright and intelligent sort."
Ha! See, that guy thinks I'm smart, Ellis thought smugly even as he shifted ever-so-slightly away from Fragment's gaping maw. He could feel the eyes of the crowd on his back, their voices hushed to murmurs of anticipation. They were both hoping and waiting for a show just as much as Neva had been, and it was likely they would be just as disappointed.

'That guy' also doesn't know you as intimately as I do, Neva retorted, adding verbally, "Then our Lord chose well; it is a fitting shell for this Age He has wrought. As for my own host, he is not so smart as to give in to me, to accept the inevitable...but I did not choose him for his mental prowess." Ellis looked indignant at the words that had just come out of his mouth.
Fragment shook his head at Ellis and snapped his teeth at the crowd; delighting in the screams and the way the humans jumped as though he could reach them from where he lay (technically...he could have, had he really wanted to do so).

"Silly creatures, Men." With fur rippling and twitching, he refocused three pairs of eyes on Ellis in such a manner as to suggest unending mirth at his expense. "Yours is Winter, unending. Chill and ice and blinding white for your soul." He stretched a paw, extending the claws at the tip just a little bit too close to the man -- very nearly touching him.

"Fighting does no good, bond-brother. Treasures demand great payment. Glitter with yours as she rises to glory. Yes yes yes -- it is good to be like this."
Ellis twitched away from the snapping jaws, his fingers clutching the rusted bars tightly as he almost lost his balance. He turned his head to look over his shoulder at the crowd, watching as they gestured at him and each other, and refocused his attention on the beast before him only to find sharp claws far too close for comfort. The urge to scurry away was quickly squelched by the goddess who lived inside him--she would not appear weak before this king of kings in order to indulge his petty mortal fears.

"Speak for yourself," he replied boldly instead, fighting to ignore the claws so close to him. "My treasure," he spat, "has no intention of leaving me alive once she's taken what she needs from me. What's so good about that, huh? And what about yours? Do you think some cold-blooded dragon's gonna need your big furry hide the minute after he doesn't need it anymore?"
A raspy, rumbling laughter came from the large pitch-colored beast. Winter chose an amusing host! It was good that he had such spirit - that would serve Her well, yes. Fragment's six eyes blinked slowly and he glanced over at the humans milling/cowering/peering/slinking around the playground. They were waiting for Chaos. For blood and pain.

Humans were strange. Both Dragon King and host agreed. Twisted and changed, no doubt in part because of Lord Harmodius being in his Destruction aspect.

He cocked his head back at Ellis before answering. "We were not alive before, we were not dead either. Something is better than nothing, Host-of-Frost." Fragment was well aware that "he" would not survive as "him" -- but part would remain, in some form or other...and that would live on as Yu lived on. A fair trade to a beast that had once been part of a whole and then ripped asunder.

"It is different for you, I see." Yu spoke through the monster's body, tone firm but gentle - disrespect for the Goddess housed in his body would gain Ellis nothing -- surely the man had to understand this? "You answered the call, whether you did so knowingly or not. There is no point in fighting the inevitable--"

"Enjoy the time you have, human-Ellis! Fight, ********, eat and drink until there is no You, but Her!"

Hilarious. Really.
Anger--at his situation, at this beast's presumption, at the goddess that inhabited his body--flowed through his veins like sugar-coated heroin, filling him with wild energy and righteous fury. How dare this less-than-human thing tell him how to spend his remaining time on earth? Neva dulled everything except his unexpected and growing anger, reveling in its brute force, encouraging it further. Ellis opened his mouth to spit out a barbed retort that died in infancy as his breath lodged in his throat, choking him as unexpected pain stabbed through his abdomen and quickly rippled outwards.

Ellis's fingers grew white-knuckled as they clutched the rusty bars, a poor anchor to stability as sight and sound lost out to the feeling of something poking cruelly through his insides. He itched all over, as if tiny things were running around just beneath his skin. He dimly heard the screams of the crowd as the wave of too much not enough make it stop ran over them as well, but shut them out as self-preservation kicked in in the form of his own personal parasite.

Neva felt the wave as strongly as her host had without the benefit of physical flesh to bear the brunt of the agony. She felt it pulling at her essence, twisting the edges and threatening to tear pieces off. She lashed out at it, sending it spiraling through her host; she chased it out of him, feeling her own anger at the violation, until they were both left exhausted. Ellis's muscles slowly unfroze and he finally subsided, panting and shaking, blood dripping freely from his nose and his head throbbing in time with his fluttering heartbeat.

"What?" He wheezed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces