Welcome to Gaia! ::

How should things be organized?

Alphabetically. 0.44927536231884 44.9% [ 62 ]
Topics underneath a broader category (like metaphor, etc. under a 'lit. devices' category) 0.48550724637681 48.6% [ 67 ]
Other (post) 0.065217391304348 6.5% [ 9 ]
Total Votes:[ 138 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 23 24 > >>

Welcome: Glossary : Pointless Game

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Welcome to the Writer's Glossary!
"Come to the Writer's Glossary where we discuss EVERYTHING!"

Writer: One who writes.
's: Shows possesion.
Glossary: Bunch of words on a certain topic.
!: Exclamation point. Shows that I'm excited. !

I invite you to add your own definition. If I like it, I’ll add it to the glossary. Think of this thread like a very, very, very, very, very, very specific form of Wikipedia.
Yeah.
Have a question not covered in the description? Ask.
Have a question about a word not covered (VERY LIKELY) in the guide, ask/PM me and I’ll gladly add it.

Talk with your fellow writers over a cup of tea or coffee!

What not to do: This isn't a 'post your questions and ask for help' thing. That's what the main forum is for. This isn't a 'post your stories/poems' thread, either. That's what the Sub-Forums are for.
This is a glossary and a discussion forum.
Glossarize and discuss.
Yeah, I know glossarize isn't a word. Help out with the glossary! It'll help others and it'll help you.
I s**t thee not.

Don't just take my word for it.
User-Tested, User-Approved.

rachaella22
Ooh, I like this idea. =D It seems like it could definately come in handy.

Ryiel

This might be the perfect Writing Discussion thread EVER!

Fo' real.

I’m not a professional writer by any means. I’m a fifteen year old student with a passion and love for writing.
This is done to help others. Now since I’m a fifteen year old, unpublished writer, if you see an error, point it out please!

IMPORTANT: EVERYTHING should be cited. If you see something that's not cited (like a Wikipedia definition or a dictionary.com definition), then please tell me.

Things that I type or other users type are noted usually. If you typed something and I accidentally left your name out, please tell me and I'll make sure I get your name up.

News:
June 22, 2008: Open.
June 23, 2008: Added a lot of words since yesterday.
September 29, 2008: Thread revived! We're on the rules page now! : D
September 30, 2008: New Poll.
October 2, 2008: We have a slogan! Thanks to Ryiel
October 8, 2008: 3 suggested/contributed definitions added.
October 10, 2008: Pretty big update! Around 5 definitions added.
November 7, 2008: 'Punctuation' went up today but with that, I exceeded the 50,000 character limit of a post. Ergo the glossary is now split into two parts.
a
Welcome : Glossary : Pointless Game

IMPORTANT: EVERYTHING should be cited. If you see something that's not cited (like a Wikipedia definition or a dictionary.com definition), then please tell me.

Things that I type or other users type are noted usually. If you typed something and I accidentally left your name out, please tell me and I'll make sure I get your name up.

List of words so far:
wahmbulance indicates something that's particularly helpful.

Allegory
Alliteration
Allusion
Antagonist
Antonym/Synonym
Archetype
Assonance
Catalyst/Cause and Effect
Chekhov's Gun
wahmbulance Cliché
Connotation
Consonance
Consonant
Denotation
Epithet
Euphemism
Flash Fiction
Foreshadowing
Genre
Half-Rhyme
Iambic Pentameter*
In Medias Res
Mary Sue
MacGuffin
Metaphor
Oxymoron
Parable
Paradox
Personification
Plot
wahmbulance Plot Pyramid
wahmbulance Poetry
wahmbulance Point of View
wahmbulance Prose
Protagonist
Punctuation
Rhyme
Rhyme Scheme
Setting
Simile
Sonnet
Stanza
Symbolism
Theme
wahmbulance Tone/Diction
Vignette
Vowel

If you want to find the definition, either scroll through or use Ctrl+F.

So here it is.
Your list of words, terms, and phrases you should know as a writer!
The definitions are from Dictionary.com and are in blue. Everything else is from me.

Allegory:
Dictionary.com:
1. a representation of an abstract or spiritual meaning through concrete or material forms; figurative treatment of one subject under the guise of another.
2. a symbolical narrative: the allegory of Piers Plowman.

Cerise Dahlia

How to explain it? An example would be fables. It tells a story, but it's not to be taken literally. It conveys a different meaning.

Alliteration: The repetition of the first consonant sound of a word.
Wikipedia cites the following example:
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled pepers.
Notice the 'P' sound repeated.

Special Thanks to monotori67

Allusion: Not just a typo for illusion. My good friends at dictionary.com (actually, they’re not my friends at all.) say this about allusions:
A passing or casual reference; an incidental mention of something, either directly or by implication: an allusion to Shakespeare.

Example time. Sweet.
Okay. So Jon and Peter are walking down the road when all of a sudden, a man drives past them. Attached to the man’s car, Peter and Jon notice, is a rope and attached to that is a man, as though the car was Achilles and the man behind him Hector.

I made an allusion to the Iliad!
Awesome.
Fun fact: Dictionary.com also defines Allusion as this: the act of alluding. I’m sure that cleared a lot up for you.

Antagonist:
The adversary of the hero or protagonist of a drama or other literary work: Iago is the antagonist of Othello.
Like the protagonist, the antagonist doesn’t have to have a conventional role. The antagonist can be the good guy. But if the story is told in the point of view of the villain, then the good guy is the antagonist.
The antagonist does not have to be a person.
It can be a mountain. Why? The protagonist has to ascend the mountain, ergo the mountain is providing resistance.
If Harry Potter was written through the viewpoint of Voldemort, then Harry would be the antagonist.

Antonym and Synonym:

Antonym: A word opposite in meaning to another.
Synonym: A word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language.

Synonyms of 'Friendly': amicable, amiable
Antonyms of 'Friendly': foe, enemy

Websites to get synonyms and antonyms:
Dictionary.com
Synonym.com

Archetype: Pronounced Ark-ih-type. The original pattern or model from which all things of the same kind are copied or on which they are based; a model or first form; prototype.
Speaking in terms of writing, it’s a basis on which (some/most) characters are formed.
For instance.
All that fun stuff.
Augmentable List of Familiar Archetypes
(Post or PM your Archetypes and they’ll be posted here)
The farm boy turned hero is a familiar archetype in fantasy.
Evil villain bent on world domination is another.

Assonance: The reptition of sounds.
For instance, in the following sentence, the 'air' sound is repeated:
The bear with the brown hair was in there.
Rhyme in which the same vowel sounds are used with different consonants in the stressed syllables of the rhyming words, as in penitent and reticence.

Catalyst/Cause and Effect: something that causes activity between two or more persons or forces without itself being affected. I decided to group these two together because 'catalyst' can fall under the area of 'cause'.
Newton says 'for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction'. This applies to more things than science.
For there to be a solution to the problem, there needs to be a problem.
In summary, make your character have a purpose for what he/she/it is doing.

Chekhov's Gun:
This is cool. I like the name, too. It's cool.

Wikipedia
Chekhov's gun is the literary technique whereby an element is introduced early in the story, but whose significance does not become clear until later on. For example, a character may find a mysterious object that eventually becomes crucial to the plot, but at the time of finding the object, does not seem to be important.

Although many people consider the phrase "Chekhov's gun" to be the equivalent of foreshadowing, the statements the author made about it can be more properly interpreted as meaning "do not include any unnecessary elements in a story."

So. You want an example? Most of us like Harry Potter, right?

You may be familiar with these examples of Chekhov's Gun, then.

Wikipedia
The concept of a Chekhov's gun is used in a number of instances in the Harry Potter series of novels by J.K. Rowling. These include props such as Riddle's diary, Slytherin's locket and Ravenclaw's diadem, as well as a great many other objects and characters such as Sirius Black, Arabella Figg, and Scabbers the rat.

Cliché: Holy s**t, pay attention to this. I’m not even kidding. Half (read: most) of the things a great deal of you consider cliché isn’t.
First, the dictionary definition.
a trite, stereotyped expression; a sentence or phrase, usually expressing a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse, as sadder but wiser, or strong as an ox.
(in art, literature, drama, etc.) a trite or hackneyed plot, character development, use of color, musical expression, etc.

This does NOT mean ‘vampire’. Vampires are not clichéd. Certain aspects and certain uses of them may be. But vampires themselves are not. There is so much ingenuity available in the field of vampires.

What is cliché, then?
Wikipedia says this:
”Wikipedia”
Examples of concepts that can be clichés (note - it is very possible to use one of these devices in a creative way, without it being cliché):
· A character wakes up, to realise that the preceeding events have been a dream, and didn't really happen.
· The main enemy coming back for 'one last stand' after supposedly being defeated.
· All loose story arcs being resolved quickly and happily at the very end.
· There is a misunderstanding among characters and this inevitably leads to humorous consequences.

Connotation:
Dictionary.com:
the associated or secondary meaning of a word or expression in addition to its explicit or primary meaning

Connotation is subjective.

Connotations of the following words could be:
Home: Warmth, family, love
City: Work, 9-5, business

Opposite of Denotation (See Denotation)

Consonance: Dictionary.com: correspondence of sounds; harmony of sounds.
The correspondence of consonants, esp. those at the end of a word, in a passage of prose or verse.
The use of the repetition of consonants or consonant patterns as a rhyming device.

Example:
The cat ran
Into the black Sedan

Consonant:
Dictionary.com: (in English articulation) a speech sound produced by occluding with or without releasing (p, b; t, d; k, g), diverting (m, n, ng), or obstructing (f, v; s, z, etc.) the flow of air from the lungs

I never knew that the definition for 'consonant' was so complex.
Check out what Wikipedia says about them:
Wikipedia
In articulatory phonetics, a consonant is a speech sound that is articulated with complete or partial closure of the upper vocal tract, the upper vocal tract being defined as that part of the vocal tract that lies above the larynx. Consonants contrast with vowels.

Okay, Wiki. We'll take your word for it.

List of Consonants:
B C D F G H J K L M N P Q R S T V W X Y Z

Denotation:
The definition of a word.

Denotation is objective.

I'll use the same words that I used in the connotation entry.

Denotations of the following words (Dictionary.com):

Home:a house, apartment, or other shelter that is the usual residence of a person, family, or household.
City:a large or important town.

Epithet: (Not to be confused with epitaph, a poem commemorating the dead.) any word or phrase applied to a person or thing to describe an actual or attributed quality
The best examples I can think of are from the Iliad and the Oddysey.
Poseidon Earthshaker.
Apollo Shootafar.

Apollo and Poseidon are both Greek Gods. Poseidon, god of earthquakes (among other things such as the ocean and horses) is referred to often as 'Earthshaker' and this comes after his name, as though it were a last name. This 'earthshaker' is an epithet.

Endrael

The common (and thus more familiar) usage for the word epithet is as a synonym for swear or curse. The definition you have listed is the literary usage, which may cause some confusion for a lot of people.

Euphemism:
Dictionary.com says:
The substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be offensive, harsh, or blunt.

Cerise Dahlia
Euphemism:

Substitutes one expression or a description to a less offensive one, or to avoid spilling a secret. The most notable use to an euphemism would be the Harry Potter Series. Because of the fear that was in the community most often used "He who must not be named" when refering to Lord Voldemort.

Flash Fiction:

Sergeant Sargent provided a lot of info on this.

Wiki
Flash fiction is fiction of extreme brevity. While there is no universally-accepted word limit, generally flash fiction is a short story of less than 2,000 words. Most flash-fiction pieces run between 250 and 1,000 words. By contrast, traditional short stories are often as long as 3,000 to 10,000 words and can have as many as 17,500 words before being considered novellas or novels. Flash fiction is, however, primarily defined by the intent that it be read at a single short sitting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_fiction
Sargent Sergeant]
Google also gave me this site: Flash Fiction Online. So, if you're not sure what flash fiction looks like, just go
yjrkm58y:75="Sargent Sergeant]
Google also gave me this site: [url=http://www.flashfictiononline.com/]Flash Fiction Online.[/url] So, if you're not sure what flash fiction looks like, just go here!

A famous 'Flash Fiction' is a story by Ernest Hemmingway which I can recite off of memory.
"For Sale: baby shoes, never worn."

Foreshadowing: To present an indication or a suggestion of beforehand; presage.

Wikipedia
Foreshadowing is a literary device in which an author drops subtle hints about plot developments to come later in the story.

I love foreshadowing! Here are some examples:
Wikipedia
In Romeo and Juliet, both main characters state early on that they would rather die than live apart.

For those who don't know how it ends, [spoilers, obviously] Romeo and Juliet kill themselves because they weren't allowed to be together.

Wikipedia
An example of foreshadowing might be when a character displays a gun or knife early in the story. Merely the appearance of a deadly weapon, even though it is used for an innocuous purpose — such as being cleaned or whittling wood — suggests terrible consequences later on.

Watch out!
Wikipedia
If foreshadowing is not done carefully, the common experiences of life can make the foreshadowing too obvious and allow the audience to predict the outcome of the story. Example: a character behaves in an odd and erratic fashion and complains continuously of a headache, then later is diagnosed with a brain tumor.

See also: Red Herring

Special Thanks to rachaella22 for sugestion
Genre: a class or category of artistic endeavor having a particular form, content, technique, or the like

So I wouldn't miss anything, I decided to find a list of genres online.
I found a great one from a Dept. Of Education website.
California Dept. of Education
All Fiction
Drama
Stories composed in verse or prose, usually for theatrical performance, where conflicts and emotion are expressed through dialogue and action.

Fable
Narration demonstrating a useful truth, especially in which animals speak as humans; legendary, supernatural tale.

Fairy Tale
Story about fairies or other magical creatures, usually for children.

Fantasy
Fiction with strange or other worldly settings or characters; fiction which invites suspension of reality.

Fiction
Narrative literary works whose content is produced by the imagination and is not necessarily based on fact.

Fiction in Verse

Full-length novels with plot, subplot(s), theme(s), major and minor characters, in which the narrative is presented in (usually blank) verse form.

Folklore
The songs, stories, myths, and proverbs of a people or "folk" as handed down by word of mouth.

Historical Fiction
Story with fictional characters and events in a historical setting.

Horror
Fiction in which events evoke a feeling of dread in both the characters and the reader.

Humor
Fiction full of fun, fancy, and excitement, meant to entertain; but can be contained in all genres

Legend
Story, sometimes of a national or folk hero, which has a basis in fact but also includes imaginative material.

Mystery
Fiction dealing with the solution of a crime or the unraveling of secrets.

Mythology
Legend or traditional narrative, often based in part on historical events, that reveals human behavior and natural phenomena by its symbolism; often pertaining to the actions of the gods.

Poetry
Verse and rhythmic writing with imagery that creates emotional responses.

Realistic Fiction
Story that can actually happen and is true to life.

Science Fiction
Story based on impact of actual, imagined, or potential science, usually set in the future or on other planets.

Short Story

Fiction of such brevity that it supports no subplots.

Tall Tale
Humorous story with blatant exaggerations, swaggering heroes who do the impossible with nonchalance.

All Nonfiction

Biography/Autobiography
Narrative of a person's life, a true story about a real person.

Essay

A short literary composition that reflects the author's outlook or point.

Narrative Nonfiction
Factual information presented in a format which tells a story.

Nonfiction
Informational text dealing with an actual, real-life subject.

Speech
Public address or discourse.

Source: CA Dept. of Edu.

Half-Rhyme:

[Nishin

From Wikipedia:
Half rhyme, sometimes called slant, sprung, near rhyme, oblique rhyme, off rhyme or imperfect rhyme is consonance on the final consonants of the words involved. Many half rhymes are also eye rhymes. It is widely used in Irish, Scottish, Welsh, and Icelandic verse. Some examples are ill and shell and also dropped and wept.

Half rhyme has been found in English-language poetry as early as Henry Vaughan, but it was not until it was used in the works of W. B. Yeats and Gerard Manley Hopkins that half rhyme became popular among English-language poets. In the 20th century half-rhyme has been used widely by English poets. Often, as in most of Yeats's poems, it is mixed with other devices such as regular rhymes, assonance, and para-rhymes.

-------------

I learned to call it a "slant rhyme." Basically (and to say I simplified this would be a gross understatement), two words rhyme when said really fast.

Other forms of rhyming things
-masculine: a rhyme in which the stress is on the final syllable of the words. (rhyme, sublime, crime)
-feminine: a rhyme in which the stress is on the penultimate (second from last) syllable of the words. (picky, tricky, sticky, icky)
-dactylic: a rhyme in which the stress is on the antepenultimate (third from last) syllable ('cacophonies", "Aristophanes" wink
-syllabic: a rhyme in which the last syllable of each word sounds the same but does not necessarily contain vowels. (cleaver, silver, or pitter, patter)
-imperfect: a rhyme between a stressed and an unstressed syllable. (wing, caring)
-semirhyme: a rhyme with an extra syllable on one word. (bend, ending)
-oblique (or slant): a rhyme with an imperfect match in sound. (green, fiend)
-assonance: matching vowels. (shake, hate)
--consonance: matching consonants. (lady, lounges)
-half rhyme (or sprung rhyme): matching final consonants. (bent, ant)
-alliteration (or head rhyme): matching initial consonants. (short,ship)
-tail rhyme (also called end rhyme or rime couée): a rhyme in the final syllable(s) of a verse (the most common kind)
When a word at the end of the line rhymes within a word in the interior of the line, it is called an internal rhyme.

Thanks a lot to [Nishin.

Half Rhyme Wikipedia Article

Iambic Pentameter:
Shakespeare famously utilized style.

I got this definition from Dictionary.com:
iambic pentameter: a common meter in poetry consisting of an unrhymed line with five feet or accents, each foot containing an unaccented syllable and an accented syllable

Thanks, Tannbanan.

In Medias Res: Latin for ‘in the middle of’. What does this have to do with writing? It’s a term used for stories that being in the middle of the action. This is best illustrated in an example:
Let’s say the story starts off like this:

”So what’s your decision?”
“Fine. I’ll do it.”

That’s in the middle of the action as something evidently came before in that scene.

Mary Sue:
parallax protected
Mary Sue - in simplistic terms, a Mary Sue is a protagonist that is very cliche and conforms to what most popular writers in our culture or even the ones online use as their protagonists. oftentimes, they are nice to the point of vomiting and are poor and unfortunate. or they are very cold and push all human-type contact away. they are one extreme or the other, and are always put in similar situations.

Ryiel
There is a lot more to being a Mary Sue than any test can give you...

Frankly speaking, Hannibal Lecter is a mary sue given those test, but why don't we consider him one? He's smart, funny even, amazingly evil, I'd say fairly strong and if not then able to work around that, and he is such a manipulator that he could talk a deaf person into killing himself. So the question is, faced with all of those abilities, why does he not get instantly registered as a Mary Sue?

The answer is, Mary Sues are more than just perfect characters. They are perfect characters who are portrayed as perfect. That makes no sense right? WRONG! If I was a perfect being there would be two kinds of people, those who worship me as a mesiah, and those who hate me for being so perfect and plot to kill me. If Jesus was a character he'd be a Mary Sue if it was just by personality, right? (Granted he is the son of God) But guess what, even he (perfect as he was) was killed. So, given that, it is how the world revolves in comparison to the character. If the character revolves around the world and has to ACTIVELY shape how their own little world works, then they are much less Sue-ish, even if perfect. If the world just naturally revolves around them without rhyme or reason, then they are a Mary Sue.

The amazingly hot girl who sits on her a** all day and does nothing but eat potato chips but stays perfectly healthy and gets perfect grades while only watching retarded shows like what comes on the Disney channel and is the most popular without ever talking to anyone becuase she is anti-social is a Mary Sue

The amazingly hot firl who excersizes regularly everyday of the week and never touches any sort of fried food, who gets perfect grades after studying for hours on end every chance she gets and seeking all of the aid possible and who watches intelligent shows like on Nova and National Geographic and is the most popular becuase she is smart and pretty and extremely witty with a bright and bubbly attitude and a nack for reading people is not a Mary Sue.

Despite them being almost EXACTLY the same, one has to work to make sure the world revolves around her, the other does not, and that makes all the difference.

MacGuffin:
Thanks to Sergeant Sargent for the suggestion.

Wikipedia says this:
Wikipedia
A MacGuffin (sometimes McGuffin) is a plot device that motivates the characters or advances the story, but the details of which are of little or no importance otherwise.

The element that distinguishes a MacGuffin from other types of plot devices is that it is not important what the object specifically is. Anything that serves as a motivation will do. The MacGuffin might even be ambiguous. Its importance is accepted by the story's characters, but it does not actually have any effect on the story. It can be generic or left open to interpretation.

The MacGuffin is common in films, especially thrillers. Commonly, though not always, the MacGuffin is the central focus of the film in the first act, and later declines in importance as the struggles and motivations of characters play out. Sometimes the MacGuffin is all but forgotten by the end of the film.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/macguffin
Metaphor: a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance
Examples:
His sword was our savior.
His mouth was a deep cavern of water.
That previous gross sentence was a disgusting worm writhing in your senses.
Ew. I know.
(See also: Simile, Personification)

Oxymoron: A figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect.

Some oxymorons:
Smart Fool.
Unemployed Worker

A list of oxymora (plural of oxymoron): List of Oxymora, Serious and Humorous.

Special Thanks to Firlodge_the_second

Parable: A short allegorical story designed to illustrate or teach some truth, religious principle, or moral lesson.
Jesus used parables a lot in his teachings. The reason? To do exactly as the definition says: To get across a religious principle or a moral lesson.

Paradox: Oh, Paradox, how I love thee! Seriously, paradoxes are fascinating. a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.

A demon says "All Demons are liars". Is he telling the truth?
If you say yes, that's impossible, because then he'd be telling the truth, which goes against what he says.
If you say no, that means all demons are NOT liars, which is impossible, because that would mean the demon would have lied to you when he said 'all demons are liars'.
Very confusing, which is why they're so awesome.
In literature, Wikipedia says this about paradoxes:
Wikipedia
In literature, the paradox is an anomalous juxtaposition of incongruous ideas for the sake of striking exposition or unexpected insight. It functions as a method of literary composition - and analysis - which involves examining apparently contradictory statements and drawing conclusions either to reconcile them or to explain their presence.[1]

Literary or rhetorical paradoxes abound in the works of Oscar Wilde and G. K. Chesterton. Other literature deals with paradox of situation; Rabelais, Cervantes, Sterne, Borges, and Chesterton are recognized as masters of situational as well as verbal paradox. Statements such as Wilde’s “I can resist anything except temptation” and Chesterton’s “spies do not look like spies” are examples of rhetorical paradox. Further back, Polonius’ observation that “though this be madness, yet there is method in’t” is a memorable third. Also, statements that are illogical and metaphoric may be called "paradoxes", for example "the pike flew to the tree to sing". The literal meaning is illogical, but there are many interpretations for the this metaphor.

Personification:The attribution of a personal nature or character to inanimate objects or abstract notions, esp. as a rhetorical figure.
This means that an inanimate object is given human like qualities.
Example:
monotori67
It is a place where the moon embraces all inhabitants with its glow.

The moon here embraces. Embracing is something that humans do, and since the moon is an inanimate object, this sentence is a personification of the moon.

Plot: The story. Also called storyline. the plan, scheme, or main story of a literary or dramatic work, as a play, novel, or short story.
Plot is pretty self explanatory.

Plot Pyramid: Consists of Introduction (exposition), rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution (denouement).
Introduction: Background information is given. Characters introduced. Catalyst for plot happens somewhere within Introduction.
Rising Action: Initial conflict is complicated. Secondary conflicts introduced.
Climax: Often referred to as "Turning Point". A change happens in the plot for better or for worse.
In comedy, things go from bad to good.
In tragedy, things go from good to bad.
Falling Action: Conflict unravels. A 'winner' is decided. May contain a final moment of suspense.
Resolution: Things wrap up.
In comedy: Protagonist is better off than he/she was in the beggining.
In tragedy: Protagonist is worse off than he/she was in the beggining.

Why is it called a Plot Pyramid? User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plot_pyramid as well as the picture.

Poetry: the art of rhythmical composition, written or spoken, for exciting pleasure by beautiful, imaginative, or elevated thoughts.
The purpose of poetry is to relay an experience.
There are many kinds of poetry. Among them are:
Haiku
Limerick
Sonnet (see Sonnet section)
Fable
Freeverse

I've found a spectacular website that details poetry in all of its forms (dozens of which I've never heard of before viewing it).
It can be found here: Shadow Poetry--Types of Poetry
Point of View: Through whom the story is told.
If it’s first person, then it’s told through the POV of the narrator. Many stories are. Oftentimes, the POV is the protagonist.

There are several kinds of Points of View through which the story is told.

First Person- I am describing first person point of view to you right now in the first person. First person consists of 'I', 'We', 'Us', and other words that indicate that the narrator is the speaker. Think Journal Entries, Memoirs, and Autobiographies. ANY kind of fiction/nonfiction prose/poetry can be in first person, however, so don't think I'm limiting you.

Second Person- You are reading this and as you do so, you are learning more about second person. You continue down through the sentences, knowing you will eventually come to a Wikipedia article because Draken isn't remarkably well-versed in second person so will employ the wonderful powers of the internet to speak for him.
Wikipedia
Second-person narration is a narrative technique in which the protagonist or another main character is referred to by employment of second-person personal pronouns and other kinds of addressing forms, for example the English second-person pronoun "you".

You are not the kind of guy who would be at a place like this at this time of the morning. But here you are, and you cannot say that the terrain is entirely unfamiliar, although the details are fuzzy. You are at a nightclub talking to a girl with a shaved head. The club is either Heartbreak or the Lizard lounge. All might come clear if you could just slip into the bathroom and do a little more Bolivian Marching Powder. —Opening lines of Jay McInerney's Bright Lights, Big City (August 12, 1984)

GhostlyHandsPen says this:
GhostlyHandsPen
To sum it all up, this is what I know about second person:
-Second person is where the protagonist or another main character is referred to by second person personal pronouns i.e. "you"
-Used most commonly in guide books, self-help, interactive fiction like the Choose Your Own Adventure series.

Third Person (General)- Draken began telling you about third person. He said, "Third person is when the story is told through the viewpoint of a character or characters. This viewpoint is seperate from the narrators." Wikipedia says this:
Wikipedia
The participants in the narrative are understood to be distinct from the person telling the story and the person to whom, or by whom, it is read.

Third Person (Limited)- The story is told through the view point of a single character and the reader goes through the story with ONLY the experiences of the character.
Wikipedia
Third person limited is where the narrator describes events in third person grammar but as if seen through the eyes of only one character (hence "limited" wink , the protagonist. The narrative will include the thoughts and feelings of only the protagonist, while other characters are presented externally. Since the reader learns the events of the narrative entirely through the perceptions of the protagonist, anything that the protagonist cannot perceive must be excluded from the narrative otherwise it "breaks" the point of view. Because of this, third person limited is sometimes called the "over the shoulder" perspective.

Third Person (Omniscient)- First, let's define Omniscient. Omniscient means 'all knowing' so you may hear that if you ever wander into the ED and talk about religion.
In Third Person Omniscient- The narrative is omniscient. It knows the experiences of all the characters and relays them to you as such. There are no restrictions.

Wikipedia
An omniscient narrator, as in more limited third-person forms, is also disembodied; it takes no actions and has no physical form in or out of the story. But, being omniscient, it witnesses all events, even some that no characters witness. The omniscient narrator is privy to all things past, present and future - as well as the thoughts of all characters. As such, an omniscient narrator offers the reader a bird's-eye view about the story. The story can focus on any character at any time and on events where there is no character. The third-person omniscient narrator is usually the most reliable narrator; however, the omniscient narrator may offer judgments and express opinions on the behavior of the characters. This was common in the 19th century, as seen in the works of Jane Austen, Leo Tolstoy or George Eliot. Some more modern examples are Lemony Snicket, Philip Pullman and J.K. Rowling.

Third Person (Objective)-
Wikipedia
The author does not enter a single mind, but instead records what can be seen and heard. This type of person is like a camera or a fly on the wall. This is used by journalists in articles—it only gives the facts, from one fixed perspective. The third person objective perspective mimics real life: we cannot know what another person is thinking, but we can make inferences based on that person's words, behaviour and body language.

Special Thanks to GhostlyHandsPen for helping with this and suggesting its expansion.

Prose: the ordinary form of spoken or written language, without metrical structure, as distinguished from poetry or verse.
To be brief, it is the structure upon which many of us write.
Harry Potter is prose.
To Kill A Mockingbird is prose.

But we must also realise that there are several different kinds of prose, usually defined by length.

Flash Fiction
Wikipedia
Flash fiction is fiction characterized by its extreme brevity. While there is no universally accepted exact word limit, generally a short story is considered to constitute flash fiction if it is less than 1,000–2,000 words long, and most flash-fiction pieces are between 250 and 1,000 words long.

Thanks, Wiki.
It is said that Hemingway has a famous six-word flash fiction piece.
"For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn."
I don't know about you, but that got to me. =/

Short Story A short story is usually meant to be read in a single sitting and is characterized by its brevity.
Wikipedia
The short story is a literary genre of fictional, prose narrative that tends to be more concise and "to the point" than longer works of fiction

Novelette a brief novel or long short story.
Wikipedia
The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America Nebula awards for science fiction define the novelette as having a word count between 7,500 and 17,500 in length.

Novella a fictional prose narrative that is longer and more complex than a short story; a short novel.
Wikipedia
the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America Nebula Awards for science fiction define the novella as having a word count between 17,500 and 40,000

Novel a fictitious prose narrative of considerable length and complexity, portraying characters and usually presenting a sequential organization of action and scenes.

TL;DR?
Firlodge_the_second did some research:
Firlodge_the_second

- A drabble is strictly speaking exactly 100 words long but it is colliqually used to mean less than 1000 words.
-Most flash-fiction pieces are between 250 and 1,000 words
- A short story is 1,000-20,000 words
-A novellete is 7,500 - 17,500 words
- A novella is 17,500 - 40,000 words
-A novel is technically any work greater than 40,000 words in length.

Endrael
Also, regarding Firlodge's note about length definitions for pieces of fiction: The generally accepted length for any of those mentioned forms varies. Novels, for instance, depending on your reference source, have minimum lengths of anywhere between 40k and 70k words. Not that this makes much of a difference overall except for classification purposes, but it's best to check your source of submission for their particular criteria before submitting an 8k word short story when they're short story criteria is no more than 6k words.

Protagonist:
the leading character, hero, or heroine of a drama or other literary work. This does not mean, however, that the protagonist has to be the ‘good guy’. If Harry Potter was written through the viewpoint of Voldemort, then Voldemort would be the protagonist.

The protagonist can also change roles. If you skip around to the viewpoint of different characters, then they are each protagonists.

Punctuation:
Punctuation is like a traffic light. Commas are the yellow lights, periods are the red lights, and stupid people ignore the lights.

Here's what dictionary.com has to say:
the practice or system of using certain conventional marks or characters in writing or printing in order to separate elements and make the meaning clear, as in ending a sentence or separating clauses.

Wikipedia
Punctuation marks are symbols that correspond to neither phonemes (sounds) of a language nor to lexemes (words and phrases), but which serve to indicate the structure and organization of writing, as well as intonation and pauses to be observed when reading it aloud.

The most common punctuation are these:
Periods .
Exclamation points !
Question marks ?
Commas ,
Quotation marks "
Apostrophies '
Colons :
Semicolons ;

"Psh. So what, Draken! So what if I leave out a comma?"
Well, (your name), let me tell you a story that is told on the back of a book I have. The title is "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss.

Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss
A panda walks into a cafe. He orders a sandwhich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.
"Why?" askes the confused waiter, as the panda makes toward the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manal and tosses it over his shoulder.
"I'm a panda," he says, at the door. "Look it up."
The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation.
"Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."

So, punctuation really does matter, even if it is only occasionally a matter of life and death.

There's a moral to this story, kids.

Anyway.
Fizzlesticks was kind enough to let me link to her Grammar and Punctuation Guide! Use it. For real. Seriously. Go.

Red Herring:
Wikipedia
In literature, a red herring is a narrative element intended to distract the reader from a more important event in the plot, usually a twist ending.

Sergeant Sargent
On Red Herrings...

Writers should use a light touch with these. If the writer goes to too much trouble to convince the reader that the Red Herring is the answer they're looking for, they may be angry with the writer when they discover the red herring is false. Or they may even notice how much effort the writer is putting into the red herring and dismiss it early (I've done this before when reading a book or watching a movie).

I think the trick is to make the red herring seem like a plausable answer, gradually drawing more similarities to the real McGuffian but never seeming like a definite answer.

Rhyme:
Good ol' Wikipedia. Seriously, though, what would we do without it?
Wikipedia
A rhyme is a repetition of identical or similar sounds in two or more different words and is most often used in poetry and songs. The word "rhyme" may also refer to a short poem, such as a rhyming couplet or other brief rhyming poem such as nursery rhymes.

There are many times of rhymes and they're divided into Perfect Rhymes and Imperfect Rhymes.

Wikipedia
Perfect rhymes can be classified according to the number of syllables included in the rhyme

masculine: a rhyme in which the stress is on the final syllable of the words. (rhyme, sublime, crime)
feminine: a rhyme in which the stress is on the penultimate (second from last) syllable of the words. (picky, tricky, sticky, icky)
dactylic: a rhyme in which the stress is on the antepenultimate (third from last) syllable ('cacophonies", "Aristophanes" wink
In the general sense, "rhyme" can refer to various kinds of phonetic similarity between words, and to the use of such similar-sounding words in organizing verse. Rhymes in this general sense are classified according to the degree and manner of the phonetic similarity:

syllabic: a rhyme in which the last syllable of each word sounds the same but does not necessarily contain vowels. (cleaver, silver, or pitter, patter)
imperfect: a rhyme between a stressed and an unstressed syllable. (wing, caring)
semirhyme: a rhyme with an extra syllable on one word. (bend, ending)
oblique (or slant): a rhyme with an imperfect match in sound. (green, fiend)
assonance: matching vowels. (shake, hate)
consonance: matching consonants. (lady, lounges)
half rhyme (or sprung rhyme): matching final consonants. (bent, ant)
alliteration (or head rhyme): matching initial consonants. (short,ship)

Rhyme Scheme: the pattern of rhymes used in a poem, usually marked by letters to symbolize correspondences

Setting: the surroundings or environment of anything: The garden was a perfect setting for the house.
Setting is simple and can vary. House, mountain, boat on a lake. Stuff like that.

Simile:a figure of speech in which two unlike things are explicitly compared
It's a metaphor using LIKE or AS.
Simile is Metaphor's little brother, if you will.
He was strong like a car.
Her smile was as beautiful as a rainbow.

Sonnet: So why am I going in depth into a particular section of poetry? Because a) I can and b) this is the form in which Shakespeare produced most of his poetry. Best to familiarize yourself with it, eh?
There are two kinds of Sonnets:
Italian, or Petrarchan, sonnets. These are comprised of an octave (a stanza of 8 lines) and a sestet (a stanza of 6 lines). (See Stanza section for help on this term)
English, or Shakespearian, sonnets. These are comprised of Three quatrains and a couplet.
An important part of writing these is Rhyme Scheme (see Rhyme Scheme section).
Shakespearian sonnets follow this rhyme scheme: A,B,A,B C,D,C,D E,F,E,F G,G
Petrarchan sonnets follow tihs rhyme scheme: A,B,B,A,A,B,B,A C,D,E,C,D,E
Source for Italian Sonnet Rhyme Scheme: http://www.rc.umd.edu/rchs/sonnet.htm

Stanza: an arrangement of a certain number of lines, usually four or more, sometimes having a fixed length, meter, or rhyme scheme, forming a division of a poem.
I like to think of them as 'poetry paragraphs'.
There are several types of Stanzas:
2 lines: Couplet
3 lines: Triplet
4 lines: Quatrain
5 lines: Quintet
6 lines: Sestet
7 lines: Septet
8 lines: Octave

For help on Stanzas and other poetry-related subjects (such as meter, which will eventually be covered here), this website is a great resource: Writing Poetry

Symbolism: The practice of representing things by symbols, or of investing things with a symbolic meaning or character.
For instance.
Let's say in a certain story, a bird represents freedom.
The author of the story may have a character who's breaking out of a jail walk past a bird and have the bird fly away in the same direction he's going.
He meets the bird, or in this case, he meets freedom.
I really hope 'Freebird' isn't stuck in my head all day. =/

Theme: a subject of discourse, discussion, meditation, or composition; topic
In writing, this is the unifying topic of your story.
Edgar Allan Poe’s themes were often ‘Death’.
Theme is often interpretive and debatable.

Tone/Diction:
Tone:
a particular style or manner, as of writing or speech; mood

Ryiel
Tone: The overall "feel" of the passage. Is it dark and macabre? Is it light and airy? Tone can change a story's very meaning and core. A horror story written in a light and comedic kind of tone suddenly becomes a parody of all things horror (or the characters) whereas a romance written in a way that comes off nonchalant and uncaring (if in 1st person) can paint the MC as a person who is solely sex driven. Tone plays an important role in how the reader will (perhaps only subconsciously at first) view your work. I read a short poem about an old woman dying in her bed. But the thing that sticks in my mind isn't any sort of dark description (there wasn't much) but the line "Chinzy chinzy cheeriness!" Clearly, just from that one line, it becomes clear this is not really a poem venerating or hating death.

Wikipedia has 2 articles on Tone.
One deals with the sound of words: Tone (Linguistics)

The other deals with the "meaning" of them: Tone (Literature)

Diction:
1. style of speaking or writing as dependent upon choice of words

2. the accent, inflection, intonation, and speech-sound quality manifested by an individual speaker, usually judged in terms of prevailing standards of acceptability; enunciation

Ryiel
Diction: the choice of words of an author. In my opinion, it is probably the most important rhetorical device. If I use the word "a sliver of blood flowed from the small papercut inbetween the thumb and index finger" instead of the words "It was horrifying pain, causing screams to pierce the heavens and form an agonizing chorus of echoes" you get two very different feels. These actually display the same thing, but one is more objective, the other is more child-like and dramatic, which can paint different pictures about the MC and the story in general. So the word choice can change the tone and even meaning of a passage.

wikipedia

Diction, in its original, primary meaning, refers to the writer's or the speaker's distinctive vocabulary choices and style of expression[citation needed]. A secondary, common meaning of "diction" is better, and more precisely, expressed with the word enunciation — the art of speaking clearly so that each word is clearly heard and understood to its fullest complexity and extremity. This secondary sense concerns pronunciation and tone, rather than word choice and style.

Diction has multiple concerns; register — words being either formal or informal in social context — is foremost. Literary diction analysis reveals how a passage establishes tone and characterization, e.g. a preponderance of verbs relating physical movement suggests an active character, while a preponderance of verbs relating states of mind portrays an introspective character. Diction also has an impact upon word choice and syntax.

Diction comprises eight elements: Phoneme, Syllable, Conjunction, Connective, Noun, Verb, Inflection, and Utterance.

Vignette:

Wiki
In theater script and poetry writing, vignettes are short, impressionistic scenes that focus on one moment or give a trenchant impression about a character, an idea, or a setting. This type of scene is more common in recent postmodern theater, where adherence to the conventions of theatrical structure and story development are jettisoned. It is particularly influenced by contemporary notions of a scene as shown in film, video and television scripting.

Unlike the traditional scene in a play, the vignette is not strictly linked in with a sequential plot development but establishes meaning through loose symbolic or linguistic connection to other vignettes or scenes. Vignettes are the literary equivalent of a snapshot, often incomplete or fragmentary. In poetry, in the quintain form, they can relate to a short descriptive literary sketch or a short scene or incident from a movie or play. The use of vignettes is suited to those plays in which theme, image, emotion and character are more important than narrative, though this doesn't mean that a vignette is out of place as an element in a more narrative play.

Sergeant Sargent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignette_(literature) <----- Quoted the entire article, actually.

I first heard of vignette when reading a review of PotC3, where in the critic wrote that the movie is best viewed as a "series of vignettes" rather than one, cohesive story.

Thanks to Sergeant Sargent

Vowel:
Dictionary.com: (in English articulation) a speech sound produced without occluding, diverting, or obstructing the flow of air from the lungs

And Wikipedia says:
Wikipedia
In phonetics, a vowel is a sound in spoken language, such as English ah! [ɑː] or oh! [oʊ], pronounced with an open vocal tract so that there is no build-up of air pressure at any point above the glottis. This contrasts with consonants, such as English sh! [ʃː], where there is a constriction or closure at some point along the vocal tract. A vowel is also understood to be syllabic: an equivalent open but non-syllabic sound is called a semivowel.

List of Vowels:
A E I O U and sometimes Y and W.

What?
W?!
Yes. W can be a vowel.

W is a vowel when it makes a 'ou' sound as in 'how'.

This is the WIP section.
List of words I need to add.
If you want to write a small tidbit on something, by all means, go ahead.

-Beat
-Character
-Consonants and Vowels
-Rhyme
-Foreshadowing

-Conotation
-Denotation
-Punctuation
-Hyperbole
-Androgynous
-Style
Wikipedia
Diction comprises eight elements: Phoneme, Syllable, Conjunction, Connective, Noun, Verb, Inflection, and Utterance.

-Conflict [suggested by Sergeant]
-Allegory and Euphemisms [suggested by Cerise Dahlia]
-Innocent Eye [suggested by Nishin]
-Stream of Consciousness [suggested by Nishin]
-Onomotopeia [suggested by S is for Spaz]
-Characterization [suggested by SomethingWithAPhoenixInIt]
-Dues ex machina [suggested by SomethingWithAPhoenixInIt]
Contests!!
I may have contests, so this is where they'd go.

Feel free to post.
Glossary is Open

[draken]
His palms were as sticky from the sweat as chewed gum.

Ooh, ooh! Is it a simile? =D

Also, catalyst might be a word you could add to the list. :3
rachaella22

[draken]
His palms were as sticky from the sweat as chewed gum.

Ooh, ooh! Is it a simile? =D

Also, catalyst might be a word you could add to the list. :3

Thanks a bunch. 8D
Yeah, it's a simile!
Yep, it's a literary deviceish. As in, the catalyst could be something that initiates an event. I'll put that on the WIP list.

Another one for the game for anyone who wants to give it a shot:
The type of poem that follows the following syllabic pattern: 5,7,5.
How about the classic plot pyramid? Introduction (exposition), rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution (denouement). Used in every story. Can't write without it.
And assonance and consonance, as well as alliteration (for poetry).

As for the game...

Haiku!

New one:

(Warning: there are two classifications!)
monotori67
How about the classic plot pyramid? Introduction (exposition), rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution (denouement). Used in every story. Can't write without it.

As for the game...

Haiku!

New one:

Oh, wow. You're right. I'll put that in right away.
And I have no clue the answer to that question. xD But you're right with the Haiku answer.
Alright. The words are up.
Thanks again because those words/concepts are important. Well, most are, but the plot pyramid is very useful.
Good morning, all.
Or, well, to whoever reads this.
I'm working and tweaking the title today. Wanna see which draws the most people and whatnot. So yeah.

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
[draken]
monotori67

As for the game...

Haiku!

New one:

Oh, wow. You're right. I'll put that in right away.
And I have no clue the answer to that question. xD But you're right with the Haiku answer.

It's a metaphor - the moon doesn't have arms so it can't literally embrace anyone, much less an entire town or whatever.*

New one for the game:

The Grim Reaper

*It's actually a specific type of metaphor, called personification
Oh. So the answer was in regard to the moon. Erg. That one flew by me.

I think I know the answer to the Grim Reaper but I'll give some time for someone else to answer.

And I'm putting personification up.

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Noob wrangler 100
Forms of prose: Short story vs. Novella vs. Novel, for a start.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff