Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, so anybody who's been a regular these past few weeks has probably witnessed the number of threads about first/second person, the pros and cons, and what have you.
But I want to put my three cents in:
Y'all say second person forces feelings and actions on the reader, but first does the same thing! "I did this. I felt that." They're telling the story from YOUR point of view! (unless you're like me and you just read and don't comprehend what you're reading...). Second person does the same thing. "You felt this. You did that." So, are you all saying it is forcing emotions on you because it is talking directly to you?

What about the stories where there is a first person and a second person at the same time? How do you decide which actions and emotions you want forced on you more?

Is there any real difference? They do the same thing; only, one is more direct.

And I'd appreciate it if only the people with INTELLIGENT, thought-out replies actually reply. Thank you.

For those who didn't really catch the questions:
So, are you all saying it is forcing emotions on you because it is talking directly to you?

What about the stories where there is a first person and a second person at the same time? How do you decide which actions and emotions you want forced on you more?

Is there any real difference?
I think the chief difference of the two is that, for me, first person allows me to feel what the author wants me to, but allows me the freedom to retreat from them and still stay connected to the story.

1st person
John the Hero does this, and feels a certain way. I can't identify with it for whatever reason, let's say I would never react the way he does. Well, this is just another facet of John. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

2nd person.
Same as before, but now I am John, and cannot see myself doing what John just did. Suddenly I find myself arguing with the book! 'I would never do that.'

You can always 'assign' some invisible person to be John when you're reading a 2nd person story, but that 'You' will always subvert your best efforts.
well there is also 3rd person which is really complicated. but with 2nd you can branch out more to different characters and tell what they are doing and thinking but in 1st it is just like me telling it and i wouldnt know what my friend is thinking or what my friend is doing when i'm not around (not sure if i really WANT to know that though xd )

Eloquent Hunter

The difference is that with a first person narrator, it is a character who is completely within and only connected to the story. With a second person narrator, the reader is the character.

"I" is someone talking to you. When someone tells you a story from their point of view, they use "I did this." First person is like listening to a friend.

"You" is someone referring to you. You don't tell someone a story about something that happened to you and say "You were scared," you say, "I was scared." Only an idiot would say, "No, you weren't scared," however, it's easy for a person to say, "No, I wasn't scared." It carries an assuming tone that is not associated with the word I. You is used in speech writing, advertising, and arguments. It's assuming you agree with them about something. And if you don't agree, it easily turns presumptuous, and even accusational. When you're fighting with someone, and they say, "You think ____," and it's not true, the first instinct is often to go on the defense. Removing this from an argument, it's alienating to tell the reader what they think.

If Bob says, "I think ____," it's perfectly fine. I don't have to agree, and it's just another aspect of Bob.

If Bob says, "You think ____," it's perfectly fine until Bob is wrong. Because this isn't about Bob, it's about me.

Now, you can argue about "take a leap of faith and step outside yourself for a moment!" until the cows come home, but even if I did, it doesn't mean second person and first person are the same thing.

They're the same thing in that they're both used to tell a story, but the words mean completely different things. They both have the same purpose, because first, second, third and omniscient all have the same purpose: tell the story. The difference is that they are different ways of telling a story.

First person takes on the viewpoint of a character, and the reader watches them. They are not doing anything in the story unless they choose to take on the identity of a character. Second person takes on the viewpoint of the reader, or, at times, a reader-character, with the expectation the reader will allow themselves into the story. Third person takes on a neutral viewpoint that conveys action and dialogue, without necessarily conveying personal emotion or thought. Omniscient takes on the viewpoint of an all-knowing spectator.

To narrow it down, in a first person/third person story, the reader is given the option of involving themselves in the story by seeing themselves as the character. In the second person story, the reader is expected to see themself as the character. It removes the choice.

With a story with both first and second, the things that are forced on you are the things that are written in second person.

In the end, "You" and "I" are not used the same in real life, so why would they be the same thing in writing?

I really am having trouble understanding why you don't see the difference between:

"I feel sad."

and

"You feel sad."

I mean, when a friend walks up to you and says, "I had a horrible day!" do you honestly believe that they're assuming you had a bad day, too? As opposed to "You had a bad day!" which implies that the friend expects you had a bad day, and in which case, if they were wrong, a normal person would say, "No, I did not"? (The problem is, you can't say "No I did not" to a character in a book, so you'd probably have to listen to yourself say, "Yes, *long explanation* and then listen to your likely wangsty and annoyingly-written "friend" (who you'd never be friends with in real life) coddle you, before you go out to play a SUPER SPECIAL AWESOME game of football, and can't say, "No, I dislike football..." )

O.G. Elder

I think we have a failure of common sense hitting you, missus.

Let's take this in the SIMPLEST possible sense, so that we can't possibly make this mistake again.

1st and 2nd person perspectives are the EXACT OPPOSITE OF EACH OTHER.

Let's look at the associated words that make up the perspective.

1st: I, Me, My, Mine, Myself.

2nd: You, You, Yours, Yourself.

You see a trend here? If not then think of it this way.

You and the narrative character are sitting on opposite sides of the table.

He says "I'm hungry." You now know that he's hungry, but that doesn't make YOU hungry. That's first person.

If he instead says "You look hungry," he's making an observation about you. This reflects on YOUR current state, but NOT his.

In short, first person is like when you tell the story of what happened last weekend to your girlfriends.

Second person is like one of your girlfriends telling you what happened to you did while you were drunk that you can't seem to remember.

They are NOT the same. They do NOT serve the same purpose. And frankly, second person narrative is ******** annoying.

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
User ImageShocking...

Actually, I think I see what you mean. When you, as the reader, read 1st person aloud, it sounds like you're a character in the book, while if you did that with 2nd person, then it would sound like you're referring to someone else.

...isn't it?User Image
Black Gabriel

And frankly, second person narrative is ******** annoying.

Could not agree more with you.
Nefas Fatum
Black Gabriel

Agreed. Unless it's a choose-your-own-adventure book.
Black Gabriel

I think we have a failure of common sense hitting you, missus.

Let's take this in the SIMPLEST possible sense, so that we can't possibly make this mistake again.

1st and 2nd person perspectives are the EXACT OPPOSITE OF EACH OTHER.

Let's look at the associated words that make up the perspective.

1st: I, Me, My, Mine, Myself.

2nd: You, You, Yours, Yourself.

You see a trend here? If not then think of it this way.

You and the narrative character are sitting on opposite sides of the table.

He says "I'm hungry." You now know that he's hungry, but that doesn't make YOU hungry. That's first person.

If he instead says "You look hungry," he's making an observation about you. This reflects on YOUR current state, but NOT his.

In short, first person is like when you tell the story of what happened last weekend to your girlfriends.

Second person is like one of your girlfriends telling you what happened to you did while you were drunk that you can't seem to remember.

They are NOT the same. They do NOT serve the same purpose. And frankly, second person narrative is ******** annoying.

I don't think Oblivious was saying they're the same narrative form. She knows the difference between first and second person. Her questions were aimed at those people who claim that second person is more personal, and she states that first person is just as personal.

And she's right in a way, although I've never read a book with both first and second person in it before (I hope not to, either. I hate second person.), she's right that both 'You did this' and 'I did this' can force the same types of emotion on the reader.

...That is, if they like second person. I find it awkward, and agree with DragoLee. I'll argue with second person.
Fizzlesticks
Nefas Fatum
Black Gabriel

No, those books are ******** annoying also.
I'm a third person writer, I don't use anything but it.

BUT: If I'm going to use first person it will be in a form that feels like your reading a story you lived. Which by its nature does. I can't stand it but if its done well, I don't mind it.

Second person: Feels like a game to me. You go through the door. You attack with the knife. Very gamish. Don't like it for writing at all.
Fizzlesticks
Nefas Fatum
Black Gabriel

I agree for the third time.

It gets very awkward to read second person because it's telling you things that you did but you didn't do and the character that is supposed to be you can make really incredibly stupid choices without your consent, even in 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books anything can be a trap and doesn't necessarily apply to reason. Plus if you die it's like killing yourself!

To answer and any unsaid questions, I did have a bad experience with a CYOA book.
hmm. Rereading my post and the others, maybe I should clarify my earlier comment.

Using 'You' words in second-person narrative is a powerful psychological tool.

William Faulkner used it successfully, a defining author in literature. Plenty of others have used it as well, but it's use is best served in self-help books or other teaching manuscripts, because you are talking directly to your audience. And there is no room for mistakes. Readers are far, far less forgiving of second-person narration, chiefly because they know the book is aiming directly at them.

'There could be anything out there tonight, look at the clouds! That small sliver of moonlight, only good for throwing false shadows you know. You should be inside where it's warm and dry, not out here searching in the rain for some nameless animal you think you saw when the neighbors drove by.

But what was it? You don't know what's out there, and that's what drives you now. You don't know what's out there.'

Some people would read this and brush it off. "Not me," they say, "I'd be safe and warm inside. No reason to risk my skin."

Still others would be riveted. What was it? What did it look like? What happens next? You can't just leave me hanging like this, I have to know!

Second person is very, very personal; the risks are higher than the rewards IMHO, I'll stick to 3rd person.
Dark Lord M

To answer and any unsaid questions, I did have a bad experience with a CYOA book.

Did you die first go? xp
First and Second person are very different. First person is telling the story as it goes on. She is simply talking about herself and her feelings. Nothing is forced on you at all. When they are talking about events that made them happy, scared, angry, or sad, they aren't trying to force you to feel the same way. Can you feel the same as the character? Sure. Just like friends you can be happy for characters too. But if you don't feel that way, then it doesn't really matter.

Second person talks about you and tells a story about what you did. The only time I've read some good second person stories as with Choose Your Own Adventure books and Mad Libs, when it is talking about you. Even some role playing games are written in second person. Do they do things that you won't like? yeah, because everyone is different. You either accept it or whine like a baby about it. xd

As for which one is more personal. I guess that depends on taste and preference. I find first person to be more personally just because you can get closer to the character and see a different point of view from your own. Second person, to me, seems to be less personal just because you are truly forcing thoughts and opinions onto the reader. You are taking a risk that either your reader will accept it or fight it. (Why a reader will fight a second POV is beyond me. stare ) When it works out well, it works out REALLY good.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff