Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lies the Writer's Forum Told You:
Everything Your Gaia Forum Got Wrong

Introduction

I'm not writing this to seem like I'm the high and mighty authority on writing in this forum. I'm not writing this to seem like I'm putting down everyone else's opinions. The purpose in this is to reveal the more-than-likely bullshit that the Writer's Forum (WF) is propagating as actual writing rules. This is a rant of sorts (and its my first real one) as I'm honestly fed up with seeing a lot of these lies being passed on to amateur writers, steering them in what I believe to be the wrong direction. I suppose "lie" is a bit harsh...but it fit the title I picked. So basically, this is a rant that will sorta analyze a few of the more popular topics of advice/rules on the WF that I believe probably has no real bearing in real world writing.

The reason you see me saying "probably" and "more than likely" is because I myself do not have any real world writing experience. I have not been published. I have not even finished a novel to be published. I do, however, have common sense. A lot of the things I'll be addressing is pretty obvious in its falsehood...but for some reason a lot of people here don't seem to get that. Some of them are honestly just my opinion though.

Keep in mind that this is my opinion though I will be stating it as facts ('cause...well...I believe they are). And like always, don't take what I say so seriously; in the end, this is just a forum on an anime website.

Its kinda long, so I hope you don't mind that this will be separated into posts. I just feel like it would be easier on everyone's eyes and minds if it was split up. That way, you can even reference specific posts to address if you want to argue or contribute. And some of these topics you might not even want to read, so now instead of skimming through everything, you can just go to the post that its in 3nodding .

Disclaimer: The title is a parody of sorts on the title "Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything the American History Textbooks Got Wrong" by James Loewen. Its not really my title, lol.

The Golden Rule of Discussion:
Be respectful of all points made, even if you hate someone or don't agree with someone. I don't feel like getting this thread locked or moved because a flame war broke out. Just be civil; its not hard to do.

Table of Contents
~Post 1~
Number 1: Mary Sues! Oh Noes!!
~Post 2~
Number 2: Its Been Done Before...CLICHE! Scrap It!
~Post 3~
Number 3: But Being Mean is the Only Way They'll Learn
~Post 4~
Number 4: You Need a Scientific Explanation for That!
Number 4.1: Uhh...Why is That?
~Post 5~
Number 5: You Have to Be a Pro for That Buster!
~Post 6~
Number 6: Love Me Tenderly!
~Post 7~
Conclusion
~Post 8~
More Lies
~Post 9~
Reserved
Number 1: Mary Sues! Oh Noes!

Mary Sues are a constant worry for the amateur writers here on the WF...but they shouldn't really be a matter of concern at all. People have a lot of different definitions of Mary Sues, but the generally accepted definition here on the WF seems to be "A character with a large amount of unrealistic traits that would make them seem perfect in general. Generally, they are the product of some sort of wish fulfillment on the writer's part". Seems rather fine and dandy right? The problem lies in the determination of what characters are considered Mary Sues: traits alone.

A lot of times, Mary Sues are determined by only what sorts of traits they have. For example, if they're extraordinarily pretty or happen to have accomplished an extraordinary feat in a short amount of time (being the ultimate swordsman at 13 years old or something like that). However, the issue with that is that all of these supposedly forbidden traits can be pulled off depending on the context of the story and the actual writing itself. The reason I say this is because there are characters in published, well-accepted literature that could be considered Mary Sues. The reason they work often is because the writer simply can write well.

The important thing to consider when developing a character is not the traits you give them. All traits are capable of being good or bad. The Mary Sue traits are simply traits that most young writers don't do well because they're inexperienced. What you really need to watch out for is how you are portraying the character in the story. Your character has a horrible terrible horrible past? Instead of making them angst about it all the time, show some of the deeper psychological effects a past like that would have on a real person. Your character was the number one ninja in the fleet at the age of 5? Instead of making them awesome, try thinking of what sort of training one would have to go through to get to that point in such a short amount of time and consider some of the possible side effects it would have. Your character is a representation of you? Instead of making it a super idealized version of yourself, ask some of your friends and family about your flaws and put them in your character as well; think of the character as just another flawed human being (or whatever race it is), 'cause that's what you are.

An example of why its wrong to judge based on traits alone is this line from a Mary Sue Litmus test:
"Shai has psychic abilities, exceptional strength, magical powers, can heal with a touch, or has any other skill, talent, or power that we would consider superhuman."
Now, I had to check this off because, well, the character does. The character is a robot maid, of course she's going to have superhuman abilities. But that'll probably add up to the score of being a Mary Sue although within the context of my story, its completely believable and normal.

So really the term you should be using instead of "Mary Sue" is "poor characterization and development". The problem is in the execution, not the traits. When you look at just the traits of a character, you are missing an whole other part of it: the story. And this leads to characters mindlessly being called a Mary Sue even when they are well characterized.

Also......Mary Sue is technically for fanfiction only.....

EDIT #1: I think its important to point out that I'm not saying that one should not care about the development of their characters. Far from that. Instead I'm saying that we should teach that instead of focusing on traits one should focus on improving the execution. I see Mary Sues focusing too much on the traits and often times, when used outside of describing characters in a story, it is inaccurate and incorrect.

However I have also realized that "poor characterization and development" is probably too technical a term for amateur writers. Eventually, they should be taught that term, but when starting out using that term can make them feel belittled. So "Mary Sue" is sorta like a very, very unprofessional word that can convey the same thing as the proper term when used in the right context.

So I guess I should probably be stressing appropriate use of the term Mary Sue, not completely ejecting the word from all of our vocabularies, lol.
Number 2: Its Been Done Before…CLICHÉ! Scrap It!

This has died down some in recent months, but I still see this horrible misconception with what the word "cliche" really is. Well, here's the dictionary for ya:
Main Entry: cli•ché
Variant(s): also cli•che; klē-ˈshā, ˈklē-ˌ, kli-ˈ
Function: noun
Etymology: French, literally, printer's stereotype, from past participle of clicher to stereotype, of imitative origin
Date: 1892
1: a trite phrase or expression; also : the idea expressed by it
2: a hackneyed theme, characterization, or situation
3: something (as a menu item) that has become overly familiar or commonplace

(m-w.com)

Basically, a cliche is something that has been overdone to the point that its annoying, lame, and no longer has a meaning. See the diction in the above definition? "Trite", "hackneyed", "overly familiar", "commonplace"....that means that its not something that has simply been done before, or even done often. Its something that is OVERdone. OVER. However, a lot of the amateur writers here seem to mistakenly tell each other that their plots or characters or whatever are cliche simply because "There was a few anime like that already".

Here's the deal with that whole thing: there's nothing wrong with doing ideas that are similar to other ideas. There are no original elements to add to stories and I don't think their ever really was. As the Bible says in Ecclesiastics "There's nothing new under the sun". However! We are all individuals and while we may employ ideas that have the same elements as other stories, the way that we develop and build that idea can be completely unique to our mind when done right. With one idea there are thousands of different possibilities depending on what characters you have, what other ideas you have, the general flow of the story, etc.

So instead of worrying about whether your idea is cliche or not, just write it out and see where it goes.

However, I'm not saying there aren't cliche ideas. Take for instance the whole wave of vampire crap. What I'm saying is that its not the idea element itself that's cliche (in this case, the vampire), but the compilation of ideas, character types, and plot direction that makes it cliche (ex. gothic, idenpendent outcast chick meets super sexy and mysterious dude in her class and it turns out he's a vampire! Then they fall madly in love - though he should be eating her - despite the opposition of their families. And then he turns her into a vamp and they live happily ever after). That compilation is what makes it bad. As long as you avoid copying the exact same story that's been done before (which is plagiarism), you're fine.
Number 3: Being Mean is the Only Way They’ll Learn

This is something that seems to be gaining momentum lately...this utterly ridiculous idea that you have to be harsh, mean, and rude in order to give someone a good critique. I don't know when being a civil person started going out of style...but you most certainly do not have to be mean in order to correct someone and get them to improve themselves. That's wrong. If you want to be a jerk, then just say you want to be a jerk. Don't try to make excuses for it by saying that its the only way they're learn. In fact, it is psychologically proven that discouraging people and being mean to them while trying to correct them is not usually the best way to go. So prepare for a psychology lesson here!

There are many ways to get someone to learn something. This case, I believe, is specifically operant conditioning, which is when you strengthen or weaken a behavior by applying certain kinds of stimuli. These stimuli are broken into two categories: reinforcement (basically rewards) and punishment. And they are further broken into subcategories but that is rather irrelevant (but for the curious, its positive - to add - and negative - to take away - for both of them). Both of these have their pros and cons, but the cons of punishment, which is basically what you are doing when you act like a d**k because someone made a mistake on their story, is far worst. I'm pulling this right out of my psychology textbook Essentials of Understanding Psychology; Seventh Edition:
"Punishment often presents the quickest route to changing behavior that, if allowed to continue, might be dangerous to an individual" (187). But since when is messing up on a story dangerous to an individual? Basically, it means that if you might not get another chance to prevent a behavior, punishment is the best way to go. But that is the only real cases where punishment is better than reinforcement. "For one thing, punishment is frequently ineffective, particularly if it is not delivered shortly after the undesired behavior or if the individual is able to leave the setting in which the punishment is being given" (187-88 ). That means that punishment through forum websites where there's often a gap between the writing and the posting and your critique and where they are able to leave permanently or simply block you from speaking to them. Also, "Punishment can also reduce the self-esteem of recipients unless they can understand the reasons for it" (188 ). If you're just going on and on about what they did wrong, without alerting them what your purpose is in telling them what they did wrong, you often run the risk of discouraging them, breaking their confidence, and stopping both the undesired and the desired behavior all together. To sum it up: "reinforcing desired behavior is a more appropriate technique for modifying behavior than using punishment" (188 )

Basically, punishing people is not the best way to go. However, both reinforcing and punishing is very, very useful. Which leads me to the "sandwich method" of criticizing. It is a method which is taught to all leaders and bosses before they are in positions of supervision. I know this because it was taught to me in AFJROTC. What you do is give them compliments, reinforce the good skills they already have and soften their defenses. Then, you tell them what they did wrong, which is, I suppose, a form of punishment. Finally, you end it by giving more reinforcements and suggest what things they can do to stop the bad behavior themselves. This is the proper way to critique someone. Constructive criticism, by very definition, is criticism which builds people up (hence the word “constructive”). If you are criticizing someone with the intention of bringing them down or in a manner that obviously would cause someone to be brought down, you are not constructively criticizing them no matter how good your advice and points may be.

For those who don’t believe me: did your teacher ever put you down and go “this is trash, what were you thinking on this test! You did this, this, and this wrong!” Probably not because they aren’t allowed to. That’s generally accepted as mental/emotional abuse…better known by the term “bullying”. The reason you can probably see this a lot in impersonal relationships between adults is because people often turn the other way when it comes to adult bullying and assume that because the person is an adult, they should be able to get over it. But that is a gross misconception and is completely false. It is still wrong and it is still abuse.

So if you want to critique people, just be nice about it. It’s not lying. It’s not sugar coating. You can still be harsh and nice at the same time. I mean, if you just want to be mean though, go right ahead. Most of the people here deserve it because they don't know the difference between a flame and a critique. I know I'm mean and harsh and rude most of the time. But here's the thing: I don't try to pretend like I'm helping them by doing such. I do it because I'm a bitter, jaded old woman in a sexy girl's body.

Here's a cute little saying for you: "Do it right, be polite!"

(NOTE: You can argue against this if you want…but unless you have references that say that being mean promotes healthy growth and development in skills or in general, I’m going to regard what I said as the ultimate, factual truth and what you say as simply an unfounded opinion. So if you want to change my mind on this one, you’ll have to do a bit more than argue me down since I gave references to back up my point. Sorry, but that’s how debating goes.)
Number 4: You Need a Scientific Explanation for That!

Ahh…you write an awesome fantasy story and then you’re encountered with “what’s the science behind that”? Sometimes I think I’m the only person on this forum who feels this sentiment about that question: its bull.

I understand that fantasy still needs to be in touch so that readers can relate…but since when do you need to explain things in scientific terms for a genre in which the laws of science don’t even apply. Logic is needed, yes…but not science. Science just takes out the “fantasy” aspect of a fantasy story. The reason I say this is because science is the study of the natural world around us and it makes no logical sense to apply a natural study to something that is unnatural or supernatural. Believe it or not but science is actually quite limited: it can’t explain everything. And when you try to explain everything with science in a fantasy novel, it just doesn’t flow right.

Some argue that this makes the story seem more real. For example, giving vampires a scientific explanation like they have a specific disease or some sort of mutation instead of saying they are demons or the undead. People seem to like doing this…I have no idea why. Its supernatural, “above the natural”, so giving it natural reasons sorta just kills it. It makes it more sci-fi than fantasy. And while sci-fi is awesome in its own right, its not the same as the whimsy of fantasy. The WF seems to be taking the whimsy out of it. If I wanted a realism story, then I’d read realism or nonfiction.

Also, a lot of the scientific explanations don’t even fit into the context of the story. For example, an explanation of how a mage uses shoots fire out of his hand (or generates fire) in a world where mages are abundant. The society of that world already know how the mage creates fire, so its not like they’re going to go explaining it to each other. And to explain it in the text outside the dialogue can be horribly out of place and choppy. So why bother to do it at all? A lot of people say that certain descriptions of the characters’ appearances and such should be left to the reader’s imagination and the same should be done for reasons why certain things happen in fantasy stories. Let them come to their own conclusions. If you spoon feed everything to your readers, what mental work would they have to do?

One time, I came across a guy who wanted to do mutants in his story. And then everyone started harping on him about how mutations that could evolved the human race to the point we can use powers would take millions of years and so his modern mutant story needs to be scrapped because the laws of evolution don’t apply. Well, that’s not true. Yeah, his science was bad, but his logic was not. Its true that he knew nothing about the process of evolution but here’s the thing: it was fantasy. It wasn’t meant to be scientifically realistic. Humanity will probably never evolve to be able to use magical powers, so the science behind it is pointless to mention unless it’s a sci-fi story. Other than his misuse of the world “evolution”, his story was fine. In fact, it was simply an X-Men type story. And we ALL know how well X-Men has turned out throughout the years.

I’m not condoning nonsensical or bad plots. Like I said, one should use logic, which is completely different than science. If someone’s story is logically confusing or wrong, then chances are when they write it and the readers see it, they’ll be just as confused. And that ain't good. However, if science isn’t mentioned, it usually does not affect the reader’s comprehension of the story.

This stress on the scientific explanations of otherwise nonscientific subjects causes people to try to use science instead of logic to rationalize their stories…which almost always leads to bad science when they don’t know what they’re talking about or they are young children who haven’t even been in a decent chemistry class yet.

In conclusion: don’t use science unless you honestly want to and you honestly can.

Number 4.1: Uhh….Why is That?

Sorta connected to the previous post and much shorter because of it.

I’ve seen a lot of people around here asking people “why are you doing that?” when writers present them with an idea, usually one that they don’t particularly like. They question the writer’s reasons behind their writing and then follow up with “and just because you wanted to isn’t a good enough reason”. I’ve been guilty of this as well actually. But here’s the truth: it is a good reason. In fact, it’s the only real reason we have for doing anything in our stories. It’s the reason why we write in the first place. Because we want to.

Think about that for a moment it………..

Now, if someone wants to have dragons and elves and vampires in their story, what other reason do they need to have to do it than that? If someone wants to have their main character get tortured and killed, what other reason do they need to have to do that? The only things that I feel you need to ask “why” to is things that are controversial and easy to portray wrong like rape, abuse, sexuality, etc. These are sensitive topics that you have to handle with care lest you seriously offend someone.
Number 5: You Have to Be a Pro Buster!!

Sometimes it seems like people on the WF are expecting writers to be pros when it comes to what they’re writing. I’m all for research and I think its very important in the writing process, even when you’re writing something that you have personal experience with. However, its nearly impossible to get everything accurate all the time. Especially when it comes to outside cultures where you don’t really know what’s different from your culture so you don’t really know what to research.

If one has to practically be a pro on something before they can write it and do highly extensive research on the topic like they’re writing a research paper…then when exactly would we write what we wanted to write? All you have to do is research the things that are important to the elements in your story; you don’t have to do extensive research at all. An example: Japan, the country no one here wants anyone to write about without having been there themselves (hypocrites…but that’s a different rant for another time). Did you know that traditional Japanese toilets are merely holes in the floor? Chances are, you didn’t and you probably never even considered it. Now, if someone is writing about a story in a more traditional Japan, they’d have to have toilets like that in the story in order for it to be truly accurate. But who’d think of the toilet being different? We focus on the glaring differences and forget the smaller ones. Did you know that in several places, nodding your head means no? Unless you’re from that place or visited that place, I’m willing to bet that you didn’t and probably didn’t consider it. Its impossible to get every detail of something you aren’t experienced in accurate.

But if we relied on only accuracy to write things, we’d never write anything outside of our own lives and experiences. And what fun is that? So basic knowledge is enough to write a fairly accurate depiction of something you don’t know; you don’t need to go extremely in depth with it.

NOTE: This is NOT saying to just dive head first into something you don't know. No, no, no! Its just saying that while doing research, just focus on the aspects of the element that is going to be used in the story and don't worry about knowing every single little itty bitty thing about it.
Number 6: Love Me Tenderly!

The title probably doesn't suggest much about what this number is about...Character attachment.

This is probably one of the more hotly debated topics currently and including this will probably get me some heated responses, but I feel as though its a must. You do NOT have to be attached to your characters to write a good, believable story. That's complete bullshit.

Because this is something that is debated a lot recently, I'll just take a quote of mine from a recent thread about this. There's no need to repeat myself really...

Quote:
I find that being attached to characters like that hinders one's writing. Its childish and unproductive...(that is, unless you're a "write only for self-pleasure" sort of writer in which case you more than likely don't care about the productiveness of the writing). If I really like a character, I'll simply enjoy the time I spend writing them, no matter what I make happen to them.
No, no, no. Your attachment to your characters do NOT determine how believable they are. Caring or not caring has no relationship to how believable you can make them because whether you care about them or not, you still know how a real person behaves, thinks, and feels. I comprehend other people and how they act and that is all I need to know to make a believable character that others can care about.
If you put no emotion into your stories, then that would be a rather pointless story...but that is not the same as the characters. That's like saying a singer has to have emotions for the notes that they sing (not emotion in the notes, but emotion for the notes. Big difference). Characters are just tools to carry out a larger plan; its pointless to care about a tool. But you can if you want...just not too much. That would be like caring so much for a screwdriver that you never want to use it because you don't want to damage/hurt it. You can like your tools, feel prideful about the tools, even treasure the tools as part of your craft and creations, but its silly to love the tools so much you don't use them. Not caring doesn't make the screwdriver any worst, but caring too much makes it obsolete. Sounds kinda dumb when you put it that way, doesn't it?
[Addition: Of course, there's also the possibility of being too careless which results in flat characters and stories because you don't care enough to make them better. It would be equivalent of carelessly using the screwdriver to make things and then breaking it].
Its fine to perhaps cry while writing a sad scene or laugh at something funny a character said...that's normal. But that's not what I'm talking about. That's not an attachment. That's not loving the character. That's just feeling normal emotions that happen when you put your heart into your writing. Sometimes its useful to stir up the emotion you're trying to portray in the characters while writing...so its not like I've never cried while writing a character's death. But its not like I actually care about the characters. They aren't real.

And I think that whole conversation pretty much summed up what I think about that...
More Lies

Here's the place where I add things I might have forgotten, things that aren't as popular, or things that other people suggest. Feel free to contribute anytime...but if I don't agree, you'll have to debate for your right to be up here! wink
Conclusion

I congratulate anyone who managed to read all of that. It took me a couple of hours to write so I'd imagine it would take at least an hour to read.

In conclusion, I just want to remind everyone of the unprofessional atmosphere of the WF. This place isn't meant to be your rules to writing. In fact, even this rant shouldn't be taken as a rule to writing your stories. You learn to write by reading and actually writing, not by constantly asking a bunch of people who are more than likely just as inexperienced as you how to do things. Its nice to talk to other writers and have them critique your work and give you suggestions, especially if you have no other writers in your life. And for that, I'm grateful for the WF. But too many of you are taking this place too seriously. This is not a writing class. This is not a writing manual. This is an anime roleplaying website designed for people 12-20...and past 25 you're bordering on weirdo, lol. So you're relying on people who are more than likely just as inexperienced in life as you are. Do you want to put the quality of your precious works in the hands of children? Not really.

So yeah, just stop taking everything here as the truth. Just because someone calls your story cliche doesn't mean you should completely revamp it. Just because someone tells you that you need to explain yourself doesn't mean that you really have to. And so on and so on.

Just have fun interacting with people who share similar interests as you! heart Enjoy yourselves dammit! *shakes fist*
Nice (already read it all, while this topic was still closed), and I agree with everything, specially the numbers 1 and 4.
Thanks for this thread, these reminders were necessary.
Heh. I know you said this would probably take awhile to read, but I was frankly reading as you were posting, and I've got to say thank you for some of this. The criticism bent of this forum whenever I drop in (can't say I'm a Gaian regular anymore) in paticular annoys me, so thanks for the fodder next time I come up against it.

Anyway, in the realm of Part 4, the point about logic instead of scientific explanations reminded me of a Jane Yolen quote that I have found in a writing guide. (The book was "Writing and Publishing Children's Literature" if I remember correctly, but nfortunately I do not have it with me right now, so I will not be quoting verbatium) to the point that fantasy may have to be one of the most logical genres if only because we're trying to wrap our minds around the rules of a new world: "If a river flows uphill on page 4, it must also flow uphill on page 400." There's no scientific explanation whatsoever for defying the laws of gravity, but if you set up a rule, it's the consistency that matters.

Then, fantasy is my genre of choice, and I've been asked so many "whys" before that the answer has devolved down to "Because the supreme goddess (me) has an odd sense of humor!"

Anyway, I don't have much to add just yet, and mostly wanted to say thank you for part three.

Cheers!
I love you (and I love the name of this thread, for I know that book).

I only skimmed most of it, since I've read most of it before either from you or someone who made the same arguements, and I agree with a lot.

It's my personal opinion that the words "cliche," "mary sue," and even sometimes "vampire" should be banned in this forum, for they are often used wrong and end up not meaning anything (in the case of "vampire" it's often just a bunch of useless argueing, I've got no problems with actual discussion or the creature though. Too many people see the word and attack without regard for context or anything else though). "Twilight" should be a banned word too; not because the story was bad (I take the neutral route on that. For what it was, it was fine, but it ain't a literary masterpiece, and it's got serious flaws which, being me, I do like to expose). But too many people have their hot-button responses to it, and there's too much argueing over it, even by people who don't know what they're talking about, haven't read the book, or just think it's cool to bash it. In that sense, I propose that nothing is either good or bad, it just depends on the values people have or emphazise, and the criterion by which they choose to uphold those values... and some people value "True Love" and fulfil is with sexy vampires I guess. Whatever, that's not important at all. I might go on my own mini-rant if I continue.

Point being; yes, the WF is a screwy little place sometimes, which much ado about nothing far too often.
Funny, I read the whole thing through and found that I disagreed with most of it. Predominately, I suppose, with your statement that the WF propagates most of these 'lies'.

1. I think you SHOULD worry about whether or not your character is a Mary Sue. And yes, that includes (and is predominately) character development and characterization. And I see that reflected in 'Is my character a Mary Sue11!!?1" post replies as well, things like "Are other peoples' reactions to her appearance unrealistic, considering your world?" "She does have a lot of outstanding powers/suffered/etc. but from the way you write you seem well aware of the [insert stuff] so you should be fine," etc.

I also see most of WF disregarding most Mary Sue Litmus tests (which I think can serve as indication, but not final judgment by any means) as identifying Sues.

2. Similar with the 'I don't see the WF doing this a lot' thing. Generally, with the 'is my idea cliche', I see 'Yes, write it anyway,' 'No, write it anyway', or 'Who cares? Write it anyway." responses.

3. I don't generally wander the critiquing forums, so I don't have much to say about this except for the fact that I've never experienced this when I did post stuff for critique.

4. Frankly, I've never seen this either. And considering how many writers in the WF are writing in the sci-fi/fantasy genre, I'd be surprised to see a lot of it. "What's the REASONING behind that?" however, I think is a perfectly valid question and should be asked to and by every writer regarding their own work.

5. Have not experienced this, cannot really comment.

Interesting to note: I did, and do know that Japanese toilets are essentially holes in the floor. China and Taiwan are like that too. x] I find them rather annoying to use.
I guess I forgot that the thread was still open even though I asked you not the post, rofl

Koydith the Vampiress
Nice (already read it all, while this topic was still closed), and I agree with everything, specially the numbers 1 and 4.
Thanks for this thread, these reminders were necessary.
I'm glad that you liked it. I've been writing since this morning (around 8AM, its 3:30PM now, lol). The only reason I felt so compelled to do this, despite the fact I have homework to do and everything, is because I was in a ranty mood and I was tired of repeating myself when it came to these topics...sooo....this came.

So there's no need to thank me...I was just bored and a little annoyed. And now I'm bored and tired, lol.

Lady Loki MM
Heh. I know you said this would probably take awhile to read, but I was frankly reading as you were posting, and I've got to say thank you for some of this. The criticism bent of this forum whenever I drop in (can't say I'm a Gaian regular anymore) in paticular annoys me, so thanks for the fodder next time I come up against it.

Anyway, in the realm of Part 4, the point about logic instead of scientific explanations reminded me of a Jane Yolen quote that I have found in a writing guide. (The book was "Writing and Publishing Children's Literature" if I remember correctly, but nfortunately I do not have it with me right now, so I will not be quoting verbatium) to the point that fantasy may have to be one of the most logical genres if only because we're trying to wrap our minds around the rules of a new world: "If a river flows uphill on page 4, it must also flow uphill on page 400." There's no scientific explanation whatsoever for defying the laws of gravity, but if you set up a rule, it's the consistency that matters.

Then, fantasy is my genre of choice, and I've been asked so many "whys" before that the answer has devolved down to "Because the supreme goddess (me) has an odd sense of humor!"

Anyway, I don't have much to add just yet, and mostly wanted to say thank you for part three.

Cheers!
I'm glad I helped you. I too have been annoyed by the criticism aspect of these forums. At one point, it actually made me quit the WF and Gaia altogether. In fact, I only rather recently started coming back the the WF (like maybe a half a year ago after a two year break?) Its been so hard to convey the idea that being mean isn't the proper way to go...but now that I've taken psychology, it is so much easier to prove.

And I could've sworn I was like the only person in these forums who actually realized that science wasn't the explanation that was needed in fantasy. I agree with the quote you gave. Fantasy probably is the most logically demanding genre of all of them because you have to make illogical, unnatural concepts into something that people can comprehend and understand. I don't understand why so many people hate it so much...its definitely a meritorious genre.

I really am glad that you got something out of this and I thank you for reading all of it ^_^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff