Welcome to Gaia! ::

There are a lot of people out there asking for help on character development, personalities, interaction with other characters, and the dreaded sue. In this thread I hope to help people learn how to create a good character, expand on them, and make them believable. I defiantly ask for other writers to help me expand on this guide and to criticize me if I give any information that might mislead someone in need. I’m a bit of a bias jerk so I’m writing this on what’s helped me along and a lot of people who have read my character information say that my characters seem real and original, yeah that made me sound like a jerk, but I’m just saying. :3

Step 1, the Appearance

In your writing you are God, the Fates, or any sort of divine being(s) that is said to control our lives. You create men and women from clay and give them a purpose that fits them and adds to their world. When you create the ugly, lumpy, blob monster that is the beginning of your character you have to think about something… What do they look like? Knowing how your character looks and moves is a way of understanding your character’s personality. Try to envision them, see them doing their daily routine, imagine them doing what they do best. Sketch them if you want to, I do that because I feel it helps me.

I’m going to use an example from my story, a character I have dwelled on for almost a year, trying to make him perfect. His name is James Wong, one of the major antagonists of my story. Wong is a westernized version of the Yellow Peril, where way back when people feared that immigrants from Asia would take over. He is tall, menacing, and feline like. His mouth is a permanent scowl with flashing, hawk like eyes. His hair is clean cut and neat with a long Fu-Manchu moustache and matching beard. Despite the cliché look of the Evil Asian he wears a dark, Victorian styled, gentlemen’s suit.

Wong is a threatening figure whom looms over most people like a dark shadow ready to strike. His sly and cunning build shows that he is not a man who just thinks with muscle but also with his brains. His scowl shows that he is not a man who has seen happiness unless it was something cruel. He looks well groomed which shows that he is very tidy and clean; probably obsessed with the way others perceive him. As you can hopefully see a character’s appearance can give a reflection to their personality.

Step 2, the Goal

I think it is common to think of a character’s goal before we think of their past or future. What are they aiming for in the story? Who is opposing them? What can this person do to stop the character from reaching his goal? What can the character do to stop this opposing force? How does he plan to carry out this goal? Can he fulfill it on his own or does he need help? Who can help them?

The goal is the most important part of the character. Without a goal the character is pointless. Every character must have a goal. This goal will help the character progress and move the story along and might even lead you to discovering something about the character you didn’t even know!

I’m going back to my example. Wong’s goal is to take vengeance of Europe. In the past the English enslaved him and he automatically associated any white person as someone against him. He was humiliated and was basically pissed at the entire world. He joined a secret militant/terrorist organization and eventually became leader. He started using this organization as a weapon to use to enslave and kill off the White Man. Wong’s goal is to make everyone feel as he felt all those years ago and wants to crush everyone’s spirit because of his massive ego. He’s basically the hidden Hitler in charge of a secret empire.

Step 3, Strengths and Weaknesses

Every character has a strong point about them. They may possess a special item or a skill that gives them an advantage in certain situations. You don’t want a weak character that can’t do anything in a situation but you don’t want an overly powerful character to the point where they are almost godlike. The readers like someone they can root for, or if it is in the author’s intentions, hate, but you don’t want a character that is hated because they are so powerful.

Flaws are important, but like strengths, you don’t want too many of them. If you make the character’s life suck and he bitches about it all the time then your character is going to be labeled as angst filled emo that no one but the lowest dregs of human society can relate to. You want to try to aim for the middle where a character will be liked or accepted.

Strengths can be characterized by heroism, strong will, or the need to help others. Flaws or weaknesses can be characterized by disabilities, pride, or hatred. Those are just some examples; there are a lot more that can be used.

Also if you’re writing science fiction or fantasy strengths and weaknesses could be strength in fighting, magical skills, curses, power, or magical items that the user possesses.

Back to my example of Wong, Wong is basically his worst enemy when it comes to strengths and weaknesses. He has a very strong will and will go through almost anything to reach his genocidal goal. His intelligence and skill at fighting give him a great advantage over his enemies but is flawed from his obvious narcissism, his pride, thinking that he is always right, and disregarding the people’s feelings around him. He also keeps a variety of magical items on him such as the Elixir of Life, which makes him immortal. (I’m a Science Fantasy writer.)

Step 4, What has passed and what is to come

What is your character’s past? Where did they come from and how were they brought up? Did they live comfortably or did their life suck? What were the morals they were brought up with? Who raised them? If you know how your character was brought up that will help you understand where they’re coming from in terms of personality.

When you’re thinking up a characters future you can approach it in two ways: One, you could think of the future as the character (After I fulfill my goals, what am I going to do?) or two, think of it as the writer who’s writing the story line.

When I wrote Wong I always knew he was going to be an arrogant, murdering a*****e but I didn’t know why. I didn’t know why he immortal or how he got to a seat of such power. I began to brainstorm and I figured that he was born long ago in ancient China by a prostitute and a merchant. The merchant left the prostitute and Wong was born. He never learned right from wrong because his mother soon died and he was left to live on his own. It was the whole world against him and he had to survive. He became a wanted petty thief and fled to a Buddhist temple. He learned combat from the monks and was learning peace. Then a warlord attacked the temple and ruined Wong’s perfect life. Before he escaped the head monk gave him the recipe for the elixir of life. Wong escaped and watched the temple burn to the ground. He got the mindset of “how dare anyone step in and ruin my world! This is my world and I will live in it as I please! No one will stop me because no one can!” You know the rest from a previous example. He’s a man who rose from a street urchin to the most feared man in the world.

Wong doesn’t know what he’ll do once he gets to a point where he can reach his goal of destroying the white race. He hasn’t decided whether he’ll just kill them all off or enslave them to humiliate them. I know that he’ll most likely do both but I want the character to be uncertain. He’ll decide once he gets there and all the battles are won.

Step 5, the Personality

Okay so we know what the character looks like, his past, his strengths and weaknesses, their goal, and what they hope to do after they fulfill their goal. With all this information do you know how your character thinks? Have you got this character in your conscience that it’s almost like you know them as a person? I hope you do from reading this or else I just wasted twenty minutes of my life.

Understanding how your character thinks and reacts to situations is how you know how he’ll react with others and how he’ll react to the situations thrown at him. Will he be outraged that what has just happen will interfere with goals? Will someone or something remind him of something from his past? How is he going to tackle this person or event? Personality is what drives the character, their goal is what they’re aiming for, their strengths is what will help them on the way, their weaknesses hold them back, and their past will help you, the writer, to the character’s future.

I have a feeling people will say this is crappy but I just want to help! Feel free to add to it or criticize me, as long as it is in a gentle and civil manner. Hopefully you read the whole thing before you go for my throat.

Thanks and I hope it helped!
Wow, that's pretty good information for beginners, especially summarizing it all in one post!

Questionable Prophet

stares, nods, clicks away.
I will come back to this later...I haven't tooken my ADD meds 2day SO...
JK i don't have ADD
Probably a helpful guide (I skimmed, sorry) but I'd like to point out that the appearance isn't necessarily the most important thing. I'm not sure if your guide was in order of importance. But that's my two cents, and if it doesn't seem really coherent, that's 'cause I don't feel all that coherent myself at the moment. Apologies.

Eloquent Hunter

I would like to point out something about strengths and weaknesses:

A lot of people tend to treat strengths and weaknesses as a grocery list, and this usually results in contradictions. Strengths, and particularly weaknesses, should instead be treated as logical consequences of the character's past. Past, strengths and weaknesses are one whole, not three separate pieces, and thus should be treated as a whole. It requires you to think, of course, but it also results in more believable characters.

A child whose family smothered them and treated them with kid-gloves, but had a relatively humble upbringing in an isolated, rural area that stresses family values and community is going to stumble out into the world naive, generous overly trusting and likely very open (unless their parents also bred xenophobia) as opposed to "street-smart and quick witted, but also has the tendency to be rude and a little selfish."
EleanorBM
Probably a helpful guide (I skimmed, sorry) but I'd like to point out that the appearance isn't necessarily the most important thing. I'm not sure if your guide was in order of importance. But that's my two cents, and if it doesn't seem really coherent, that's 'cause I don't feel all that coherent myself at the moment. Apologies.

It's not list of importance though I feel knowing the appearance of your character is the first step of getting to know them. That's just me, anyone else can certainly take any path they choose. Like I said, I wrote this on how I start a character and how it's helped me.
NothingOf

A lot of people tend to treat strengths and weaknesses as a grocery list, and this usually results in contradictions. Strengths, and particularly weaknesses, should instead be treated as logical consequences of the character's past. Past, strengths and weaknesses are one whole, not three separate pieces, and thus should be treated as a whole. It requires you to think, of course, but it also results in more believable characters.

A child whose family smothered them and treated them with kid-gloves, but had a relatively humble upbringing in an isolated, rural area that stresses family values and community is going to stumble out into the world naive, generous overly trusting and likely very open (unless their parents also bred xenophobia) as opposed to "street-smart and quick witted, but also has the tendency to be rude and a little selfish."

Hi there - I just thought I'd note here that contradictions in a character's personality is by no means a bad thing; many people are full of contradictions... it helps to create that internal conflict which is interesting.
I get the feeling that you're still, for the most part, figuring characterization out for yourself. I think the guide has some helpful points and things to consider, but I overall sense that something is lacking. This is especially apparent in your examples of James Wong--honestly, his life and characterization seem awful...cartoony. You know what I mean? His past is very epic, his personality is the textbook "world dominator" type, etc. It seems more like you were going for a comic book character rather than trying to craft a real person. The guide sort of reflects this--you put more emphasis on what makes a character for an entertaining comic-y plot than on what makes a character human. For instance: not every person has just one "goal." Most of the time we have several--some small and stupid, like getting gas on Thursday, and some pretty big, like getting married in May. My goals this week are to graduate college, but that isn't my "epic goal" that's going to lead to my taking over the world. Human beings in the real world are more complex, and whether you're writing a realistic story or a fantasy world, taking a look at how actual humans behave and what sorts of goals they have would do wonders for understanding characterization. As for your character's (tragic) past--research Hitler's life. I'm pretty sure it wasn't that OMG tragic. Everyone has past trials and successes, so whether the events in Hitler's past caused him to do what he did or not, his past wasn't so tragic that he just had to take his angst out on the world. (If it was...that's pretty lame. I'll be honest, I'm not too familiar with his past.) It's true that one man can be very powerful, but Wong doesn't seem fleshed out enough for me to believe he'd really be able to take over the world. (His motivation's a little on the weak side, frankly.) Really, you're on your way, and this guide shows that you're getting a handle on characterization and some of the things that make it important. So, good luck. This'll be helpful for giving beginners a couple tips, but keep in mind there's much more to characterization.

Codger

So let's add a bit more to this, namely the impact others have on any given character. What I'm seeing here is treating each character as a world unto themselves, worlds that are affected by events but never specifically by people, which isn't true. To run with your example, when Wong was in the monastery, he was taught by people. His learning didn't just happen *POOF*. How did these people affect him? Obviously, they had a profound impact upon him if he had advanced far enough to be given the elixir of life recipe. This opens a rather major plot hole here: If he was that far in his learning, why did he not apply all that he learned from the monks about peace and instead revert back to his hate-the-world mannerisms?

But I'm sidetracking myself here by analyzing your plot.

When I say that people have an impact on you, it doesn't have to be a paradigm shattering event. It could be as simple as being friendly, or an angry remark, or even introducing you to something new that makes you wonder how you got along without it. Every person is influenced as much by how others treat them and act around them as they are by the events that happen to them, and though your character may be heartless, ruthless, cunning, arrogant, etc., it is still entirely possible, and perhaps inevitable, that someone will still be able to throw them off course simply by acting outside of their expectations. Little things have a cumulative effect, after all, like tossing pennies in a jar: It's not much, but it adds up after a while.

2,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
So far, this guide is pretty good. I just want to stress the usefulness of having a basic knowledge of psychology. Knowing how certain personality types act and react helps when fleshing out a new character.

Also, I'd like to extend what Endrael said. You have to think of all the people in your character's life, envisioning them in a sort of web-like area. Those people, past, present and future, have an affect on the character. They contribute something to that character's personality or even moral code.

Using an example from one of my own stories that has required me to work with psychology a lot more than any other: my MC, Kris Cantrell. When fleshing out Kris, I started with just the story itself. I had "ideas" floating around in my mind. Nameless, faceless entities that I intended to use as the characters. I always seem to start with the plot first, where I want it to go. After that, I start assigning genders and names to those faceless entities. Then I sit back and think over said entities. I think about their personalities, what was it that caused them to get into the situations that they are in, what sort of personality would be required of the characters to move them to the places I want them to go. After all that, I start actually giving them faces.

To me, personality is the most important thing in a story. Personality is what makes a character real. Half the time, in real life, I don't recognize a person's face right away, but their personality and behavior makes me recognize them. Besides, when reading, I hardly ever pay attention to the actual physical descriptions, I don't sit their and focus intently on whether or not they have red or black hair. I focus on are they mean or nice, forgiving or do they hold grudges? Understand what I'm getting at? Appearance, to me, is a less important facet to the character, so when I develop mine, that's usually the last facet I focus on.
Again, this seems to be a very good guide. I agree with others, yes your character has a goal. Should have a goal, should strive to complete said goal. However, he should run into obstacles, should feel like his goal is unreachable, stood think at one point that maybe his genocidal goal is too much and wonder at what he's doing. Or maybe he's got baby steps to reaching said goal .... not everything is achieved immediately.

Your characters past is important. It should be revealed throughout the story. With my main character nobody would know exactly what she's done that is so terrible until the very end of the story, where my protagonists actually can be seen as the antagonist. My real antagonist only has a select few chapters where they are important. Little token clues, the past, all together, cannot be said is gone forever. It's here, it's reality, and it shapes who your character is today.

Otherwise, I found your guide useful. Much fun to read.

Eloquent Hunter

IamredMage
NothingOf

Hi there - I just thought I'd note here that contradictions in a character's personality is by no means a bad thing; many people are full of contradictions... it helps to create that internal conflict which is interesting.

Yes, but if you looked at my example, by no means are you going to have a kid who was raised in a sheltered and smothering environment being described as street smart. There's a difference between being a hypocrite, and having a quality your life experience and environment would stamp into oblivion, not to mention on a lot of grocery-list strengths and weaknesses include gems such as "Is a bit selfish, but cares nothing for herself" which is literally impossible.
its good to think about your characters for ages before u start th actual story
This helped a ******** for this noob writer, TY!
I am going to write a rant. I have decided what it shall be on. I will perfect it, destroy it, and when then world begs to see it... I will blow the WF out of the water with my rant.

And it is all because of your strengths and weaknesses section.

I shall go to write my rant. AWAY!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces