Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you have writer's block?

Yes... T__T 0.35042735042735 35.0% [ 41 ]
... Maybe... >__> 0.24786324786325 24.8% [ 29 ]
Nope! :P 0.18803418803419 18.8% [ 22 ]
GIMMEH MAH GOLDS!1!! 0.21367521367521 21.4% [ 25 ]
Total Votes:[ 117 ]
1 2 >

(Please forgive me if there is already a topic like this on the Writers forum. I tried searching for one just in case, but came up with no results. I know there are a few links in the sticky for writer's block tips, but I wanted to write up something a bit different... I also know that writer's block is one of the overdone topics on the WF, but I'm hoping that people with this problem (and who don't read the stickies) will find this first. So here we go!)

Introduction

I'm pretty sure all writers eventually get a taste of a thing called "writer's block". Writer's block, for those you haven't experienced it yet (or are interested in a definition), is "a usually temporary psychological inability to begin or continue work on a piece of writing."

So, while you may be itching to get your story out, your brain just seems to melt whenever you attempt to write it out--leaving you staring at that piece of paper or computer screen. But what is the real cause of writer's block?

David Fryxell, "How to Write Fast (While Writing Well)"

Except for a few truly psychologically disturbed cases, there's no such thing as writer's block. There are only disorganized writers--writers who don't know where their next sentence is going. If you don't know where your writing is going--if, like Columbus's sailors, for all you know, the next instant may take you off the edge of the world--it's no wonder you're fearful of writing. In that case, writer's block is only a logical defense system. It may even be your mind's quite rational effort to save you from yourself, to keep you from writing until you know what the heck you're doing.

The above excerpt makes sense, doesn't it? If it is indeed true, then how may we begin to get over our writer's block...?

Solution 1: Don't do anything!

Yes, I know this option is quite obvious. Especially since you may still be staring at that piece of paper or computer screen, essentially doing nothing.

But put away that piece of paper or MS Word document! Allow for a gestation period, go do something else. Forcing out sentences isn't going to help in this case. The reason for this is that your brain and subconscious are always at work! Have you ever just had the answer to a difficult problem just pop into your head? That's what I'm talking about. Even while you're taking a shower, or mowing the lawn, or doing some other mundane/boring task, it's in the background sorting things out for you. The gestation period for you may be a day, a week, a month--it all depends on the writer, but eventually, everything will click into place and you'll be writing as if your hands were on fire. (Perhaps until you get writer's block again... but you can prevent that with Step 2. smile )

For example, I've been in this stage for writing my novel for about... a month or so. Now I've moved onto the next step, because all this time my subconscious has been "sending" me daydreams of scenes in my story, and everything is coming together. Even characters have become clearer to me.

Solution 2: Draw a Blueprint.

An outline's greatest benefit is allowing the writer to keep on track. You'll know where and how to begin, what the middle's gonna look like, and what the ending will entail. I know some writers don't use/make an outline AT ALL, and hey, you can do whatever works for you. In situations like this, however, it's better to just make a general outline. I mean, if you get a spontaneous idea that you want to add in, you CAN--the outline's not written in stone.

Your outline could be as messy as scrawls on fast food napkins or as fancy-schmancy as being typed up on your computer. Doesn't matter. What does matter is that your outline goes from the general to the particular. An example of that would be an outline utilizing Roman numerals and such, but again, you can have it as messy as you want.

A method I like to use to help build my outline is one described in Shoujo Manga Techniques: Writing Stories (yeah, I know, it's for manga... but manga is another way of storytelling, no?). It's called the Hakogaki, or "Box Writing" technique.
First off (and you probably already know this), a story is made up of scenes. You can easily build scenes by using the 5W1H rule:
Who? (Which character is the main focus of the scene?)
When? (Self-explanatory.)
Where? (Also self-explanatory.)
(Did) What? (What is the character doing?)
Why? (Why did the character do the above?)
How did it go? (What happens due to the character's actions.)
You can make as many or as few scenes as your story requires using that method. Write them all down on index cards, or small pieces of paper, etc., then just mix 'em up until the scenes are in the correct order (or "feel right" to you). Add in some transitions and tidy it up a bit, and you'll have a basic outline for your story.

Conclusion

By following either or both solutions mentioned above, you can easily defeat writer's block by getting yourself (and your story) organized! biggrin

In addition, please discuss in this topic:
1. Cases you've had of writer's block
2. Cases of current writer's block
3. Things you've done to successfully "cure" writer's block, tips, etc.
4. Writer's block in general

*Goes back to semi-lurking.* ninja
I like solution 1 because I am lazy ...shame on me. sweatdrop
No, solution one actually works for me. Sometimes it's good just to step back from a project every so often.
Solution 1 doesnt really work for me. When I stop writing, I tend to get lazy and never start to pick it back up. I find that if you find your "Comfort Situation" you will do fine.

Comfort Situations are times when you just snap and start to write. It could be anything that sets it off. I wouldn't stop writing all together, just try and try and eventually, you will get to your Comfort Situation.

6,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Ugh, I'm having that problem right now and it has to do with the next sentence! I know what will happen with the next sentence(s) but I can't seem to write anything! All I know is that there will be dialogue, but I'm not sure what specifically the MC will say and how he'll say it. Once I get past that, I will then be back on a roll, but not now, not yet. It's bugging me, especially since I have a deadline for this story -- the end of March. I got 30 days (approx.) to finish the story and have it typed and such, but I can't continue if I can't get past this roadblock. And that means that "putting it off for a while" tactic would not be a wise decision. It really sucks . . .

All the other times I've had writer's block, I have been able to get past. But that was before I knew I had one month to get it done. I wasn't too rushed, so I had the time to put it off for a while. But even when I "put it off" I still thought about it, trying to figure out how I wanted to get past the block.

And whenever I get writer's block, I always get it bad. stressed

Tipsy Genius

6,650 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
I've been writing for probably... four years now. And let me tell you, writers block is my worst enemy. I think solution two if very, very good in my opinion. I'm currently at a dead end in my novel.

I've decided to split it into two books, for sake of my original plot making sense, and I can't seem to be able to do anything with it. I have the first two scenes done and beyond that I'm so lost with it.

But something that's alwyas helped me with writers block is music. I have a few certain songs that always help me get over writers block.
Listening to music, watching TV / movies, and reading books are also good ways of getting rid of writer's block--not only because it helps you relax (and it's part of solution 1, in a way), but also because it can spark some good ideas.

Eloquent Elocutionist

I can't stand either of those; what works for me is ploughing through (I hate doing that, though), and editing later. This is what drafts are for. I don't believe in writers' block.
: I think Solution 1 helps me. When I don't know what to write (or spend too long thinking of the next sentence) and end up writing a hundred of possible sentences that are not-quite what I wanted, I just stop writing. neutral

Usually to play the piano, because I think that really helps. biggrin u___u;
I don't believe in writer's block. Writer's block, to me, is just a lazy excuse to call it quits for now and screw around with something else. I keep writing, even if it doesn't make sense. After all, it's only your first draft, and you can go back and edit later.

9,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
  • Pie For All! 300
I don't have writer's block, I'm just lazy and overtired.

Dapper Gaian

8,925 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Elocutionist 200
As I said before: Writer's Block is a serious cramp in the writer's writing hand.
Actually, this sort of makes sense - more so anyways than the usual suggestions to read something or go find inspiration in the shape of clouds.
solution one definetly works for me
Solution 2 is the best.

Solution 1 gets me lazy and pigging out on food or doing something else.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff