Welcome to Gaia! ::

And now you know.

And knowing is half the battle! 0.38690476190476 38.7% [ 65 ]
..what's the other half? 0.20833333333333 20.8% [ 35 ]
Nuclear armaments. 0.4047619047619 40.5% [ 68 ]
Total Votes:[ 168 ]
1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 >

..what you think it means..

Princess Bride reference completed, and without further hesitation, I present the main event.

Table of Contents
1.Simplified point
2.Etymology
3.Correction of prevalent grammatical errors
4.Conclusion
5.Closing Sentiments
6.Criticisms and rebuttals

1. Simplified point

No matter what the intent was, if someone says an idea or story is "cliché," what they actually mean, whether they realize it or not, is that you simply need to develop it more and give it your own creative touch.

Feel free to read further to learn why.

2. Etymology
archetype: The original pattern from which copies are made.

In printing terminology, this would be the mold, usually made of paper pulp, of each letter. It is the original version of its kind.

(Yeah, so?)

stereotype: A simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group. Or, more simply, a widespread idea concerning a particular topic.

In printing terminology, this is the metal plate formed by using the aforementioned archetype mold, which is then used on the press to print on paper.

(Where is he going with this?)

Thus, a stereotype is literally a copy (usually multiple so as to use the same letter repeatedly on the same page) of an archetype, or an idea that's been copied based upon the original of a concept. Stereotypes may vary from person to person, as they each would copy from the archetype with a particular flair of their own design.

(What of it?)

When a particular stereotype is used for print, it would make the exact same thing, no matter how many times it presses against the paper. Thus, we come to the crux.

(FINALLY!)

Cliché (literary): a trite or hackneyed plot, character development, use of color, musical expression, etc.

Printer's jargon is where this originated from as an onomatopoeia of the sound made when the stereotype plate imprinted on the paper. Within printing, this has shifted to refer to the stereotype plate itself. Within literature, this has come to refer to what is being imprinted. Thus, a cliché occurs when the same stereotype is used multiple times, thus gaining familiarity and losing its original impact (hackneyed and trite, respectively).

3. Correction of prevalent grammatical errors
..but you cannot say that a plot, character development, use of color, or musical expression is cliché, and cliché is not synonymous with "trite" and/or "hackneyed."

(WTF? Why not?)

..grammatically, you would use, "clichéd," as that is the proper adjective form of the word. "Clichéd" is synonymous with "trite" and/or "hackneyed."

"Cliché" is a noun, particularly in the literary sense referring to a stereotype that has been used so much as to become trite and/or hackneyed. Thus it has gained a negative connotation that clichés must be avoided at all cost. This is not so.

(OMGWTFBBQ!)

4. Conclusion
Rather, a cliché can be used almost as if it were an archetype, in and of itself. A writer can take that which is cliché, add his/her own personal flair, and generate his/her own stereotype for use within his/her writing. This is creativity. Many think that using an idea that's already been done automatically makes what's being written now clichéd. This is only so if the writer does not add his/her own personal flair to the idea that's already been done, and also only if this same idea that's already been done has been done many times already.

(Just shut up already!)

5. Closing sentiments
(At last!)

...don't avoid a cliché, and don't discard a work simply because there is a cliché present. Simply locate the present cliché and add your own personal flair.
As well, don't use "cliché" as a derogatory term in order to get someone to avoid writing a project. You never know what personal imprint they might make upon the idea if they simply use creativity.

6. Criticisms and rebuttals
”A”
This has been done before!

Then perhaps you should actually consider that there might be a reason the subject keeps coming up? So long as there is an issue with the term being used improperly, this sort of rant will continue to pop up repeatedly until such a time as the issue is corrected. And as they say, you're either part of the solution or part of the problem. I've chosen my side. Consider yours.

”B”
Clichés are no good!

No, they're good for having a familiar basis for a story/character/what-have-you. They simply need to be altered.

”C”
But if a person takes something that's clichéd and changes it into something else by adding their own personal creative touches, it's not a cliché anymore!

That's exactly the point! Rather than avoiding clichés like the plague, writers should rather take what is clichéd, as it is familiar to potential readers, and adapt/mold it into something creative.

”D”
You've fallen into the same casual pedantry that you sought to discourage.

(Pedantry – an instance of being pedantic)
(Pedantic – ostentatious in one's learning; overly concerned with minute details or formalisms)
Incorrect on three points.
1.I did not do this or go into such detail in the attempt to impress anyone. Thus, the display of learning was not ostentatious.
2.The concern for details and formalisms, whether minute or not, was mandatory and not carried into excess. The starting with the origin of the term “cliché” was to build a basis on which the rest could be constructed. The formalisms regarding usage of the term (specifically noting the -d suffix for the adjective form) is a constantly repeated mistake, even, and possibly especially, among those who claim to be familiar with clichés and thus discourage them whenever possible. Thus, the rant was not pedantic.
3.I never sought to discourage pedantry, but correct a prevalent misnomer.

”E”
You're trying to change the definition of the word.

Considering I gave the literary definition of the word for all to see, no, I'm not. I'm simply giving a correction to the erroneous uses to which the word has been applied.
Why do I get the feeling you have just freed your soul of a heavy, heavy burden? XD
Chulala
Why do I get the feeling you have just freed your soul of a heavy, heavy burden? XD
HAAAALELUJAH! JEEESUS CAAAME down..and HE TOOOUCHED MY chains...and now I'M FREEEE!!!!

Err... *cough* It's just been something that's been pummeling its way out of my head for a while..
Finally, someone speaks the truth. This should be stickied. Even then, it would probably be ignored by those too lazy to care, but it should be exalted.
Laura Fedora
Finally, someone speaks the truth. This should be stickied. Even then, it would probably be ignored by those too lazy to care, but it should be exalted.
As awesome as it would be to have this stickied, I really don't think it's my place to ask a mod to do that. I just grew tired of improper usage of the term, and decided to rant about it. xd

Thanks for the compliment, though! To be honest, I'm surprised this hasn't met any sort of resistance yet..
That has to be one of the most roundabout arguments I've ever seen in defense of cliches and I thank you for it most sincerely! Especially for bringing in the aspect of printing. I personally believe that understanding where certain words come from helps us to use them better.

And you pretty much manage to make a much more elegant statement on the argument of cliches that I absolutely agree with. I say more elegant since my statement usually boils down to "Cliches aren't evil! Stop acting like they are."

In other words, I completely agree with you. Cliches are cliches because they work and the best way to defeat cliches in your writing is to embrace them, change them and make them uniquely your own. (My beta actually loves the idea of the "reversed cliche" - taking a standard cliche or stereotype and turning it upside down.)

So really, all this post has been is a thank you for giving us such a well-worded opinion on cliches and hopefully more people will begin to understand that cliches are not a writer's enemy, merely a fact of life.

~Stelliger

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Cliches are still bad. If they weren't, they wouldn't need twisting or flair. Changing them a little to make them not suck so much is a great idea.
Klaark
Cliches are still bad. If they weren't, they wouldn't need twisting or flair. Changing them a little to make them not suck so much is a great idea.
Agreed, clichés, completely unaltered, are not very good, other than to provide basic familiarity. But they're only truly bad when in the final product. Before that, they're good for an overall skeletal structure of the story. I think of them as bones, while all the fine-tuning is the flesh that makes the story worth reading.
StelligerMiro
That has to be one of the most roundabout arguments I've ever seen in defense of cliches and I thank you for it most sincerely! Especially for bringing in the aspect of printing. I personally believe that understanding where certain words come from helps us to use them better.

And you pretty much manage to make a much more elegant statement on the argument of cliches that I absolutely agree with. I say more elegant since my statement usually boils down to "Cliches aren't evil! Stop acting like they are."

In other words, I completely agree with you. Cliches are cliches because they work and the best way to defeat cliches in your writing is to embrace them, change them and make them uniquely your own. (My beta actually loves the idea of the "reversed cliche" - taking a standard cliche or stereotype and turning it upside down.)

So really, all this post has been is a thank you for giving us such a well-worded opinion on cliches and hopefully more people will begin to understand that cliches are not a writer's enemy, merely a fact of life.

~Stelliger
I figured if I was going to rant on the topic of clichés, I ought to start from the beginning. T'is usually the best place to start. Although starting at the end worked well for Memento.. In either case, you're welcome.
Indeed. In fact, by saying that the cliche has to be changed to be used, you admit that it's bad, since if it was good, you wouldn't need to change it.

If something is cliched, it's because the writer didn't add their personal flair. It's cliched because there WAS no creativity involved.

Saying that using cliches is okay so long as you change them a bit is like saying that you should only eat genetically unaltered food, provided it's genetically altered first.
Axioma
Indeed. In fact, by saying that the cliche has to be changed to be used, you admit that it's bad, since if it was good, you wouldn't need to change it.

If something is cliched, it's because the writer didn't add their personal flair. It's cliched because there WAS no creativity involved.

I disagree.

Cliches are considered cliches because they work. They're plot elements or scenarios that are over-used. Like wolves howling in a creepy forest or a young girl's heart skipping a beat when the guy she has crush on smiles at her. I mean, why use something over and over again if it doesn't work?

Both those examples above are cliches and both of them happen in real life. How many women can honestly say that they've never felt light-headed or giddy when they were very young when that cute guy in the class above them acknowledged their exsistance? And how unsettling is it to hear wolves howling when you're all alone in some dark woods in the middle of the night?

Cliches aren't bad. They're just scenarios that have been used too much.

That's why you have to add your own flair. It's not to stop it from being cliche. It's to make something that everyone uses uniquely yours. By adding your own flair, you stop parroting others and take control over that moment. The cliche is irrelevant. What matters is that the story is truly yours.

~Stelliger

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
StelligerMiro
Axioma

I disagree.

Cliches are considered cliches because they work. They're plot elements or scenarios that are over-used. Like wolves howling in a creepy forest or a young girl's heart skipping a beat when the guy she has crush on smiles at her. I mean, why use something over and over again if it doesn't work?

Both those examples above are cliches and both of them happen in real life. How many women can honestly say that they've never felt light-headed or giddy when they were very young when that cute guy in the class above them acknowledged their exsistance? And how unsettling is it to hear wolves howling when you're all alone in some dark woods in the middle of the night?

Cliches aren't bad. They're just scenarios that have been used too much.

That's why you have to add your own flair. It's not to stop it from being cliche. It's to make something that everyone uses uniquely yours. By adding your own flair, you stop parroting others and take control over that moment. The cliche is irrelevant. What matters is that the story is truly yours.

~Stelliger

You have no understanding of what a cliche is. When something is over-used, that's exactly what it is...OVER-used. As in, Used Too Damned Much.

When you change it to make in not a cliche it stops being a cliche. You did that because cliches suck.

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

First of all, I grew to despise the word cliche simply because of how much fear it strikes into the hearts of many WF lurkers. I refuse to believe that it exists in the context many of the writers here take it for because they blow it way out of proportion. What they fear isn't cliche, but rather one-dimensional characters or story-plots that are underdeveloped and rather kindergarten.

Despite all of what Zaxoth said, people will still continue to tremble at the thought of cliche....or should we start calling it, "It That Must Not be Named!!" They'll still fret that their idea isn't totally original, and it'll still hold them back, and they'll never write anything good because they're afraid to discard all thoughts of "It That Must Not be Named" and run free with an idea.
Klaark
StelligerMiro
Axioma

~Stelliger

You have no understanding of what a cliche is. When something is over-used, that's exactly what it is...OVER-used. As in, Used Too Damned Much.

When you change it to make in not a cliche it stops being a cliche. You did that because cliches suck.

The point that I'm trying to make is that I don't change my cliches. I use a cliche in it's original form and then I do something new with it.

To go back to my former exampled, I used the wolves howling in a creepy forest by having one character comment that if he heard any wolves, he was out of there. To which is friend responded, "That's so cliche!" which makes the cliche a humour point.

As for the girl's heart skipping a beat, I would still use that (and probably will someday). But I would change how it's presented. Instead of spending a lot of time sappily describing how she feels in that moment, I might write it first person point of view, as that girl telling this story years in the future and cringing at how young, naive and hormone-driven she was. Or I might use that image in the third person narrative and have it focused on her best friend, who sees the girl's reaction and has a "Oh God, here we go again" reaction.

The point is, approaching a cliche from a new angle doesn't stop it from being cliche. That's what I mean by "adding flair". Don't change the cliche; make it interesting.

~Stelliger
AurinJade
First of all, I grew to despise the word cliche simply because of how much fear it strikes into the hearts of many WF lurkers. I refuse to believe that it exists in the context many of the writers here take it for because they blow it way out of proportion. What they fear isn't cliche, but rather one-dimensional characters or story-plots that are underdeveloped and rather kindergarten.

I know I come down heavily in favour of cliches, but I think you've just described my reasons very well. It bothers me how much people (and not just here) justify their disliking of something because they think it's "cliche" when actually it's just underdevolped.

Cliches have become the scapegoat for unispired critiquers. Perhaps that's too harsh, but my goal in defending cliches is to try and make them less threatening and return them to their rightful place in a writer's proverbial toolbox.

Also, it does worry me how badly abused beginning writers are in a public forum of any sort. And accusations of cliches seem to be the weapon of choice.

So, thank you for your very enlightened post, expressing something that I hadn't quite realized on a conscious level.

~Stelliger.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces