Welcome to Gaia! ::

If you come, please take the time to review someone's submission!

Fact: That's not a poll question. 1 100.0% [ 177 ]
Total Votes:[ 177 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Bashful Fairy

User Image
The Academy of Writing Practice

o 3o Hi! Welcome to T.A.W.P! This is a sacred, friendly, wonderful, and (hopefully) fun place in which to practice your writing with other writers of any skill level, age, whatever!

The goal of this thread is not to be heavily critiqued, or to feel the need to push out Pulitzer worthy writing with every single post. The goal is to provide a friendly environment in which you may discuss strong points, weak points, and through the writings of many, see creative and thoughtful ways to strengthen your own writing!

I want to encourage anyone who wants to participate to do so. This thread will be nothing if no one wishes to join in on the festivities. ;3 How pointless would that be? ( fyi, very. )

Again, thanks for swinging by. I'll see about elaborating what I mean in my next posts. ;3

Bashful Fairy

Rules & General Overview

TAWP is a thread specifically designed to, hopefully, help any level writer discover new ways with which to express themselves or simply allow for a little fun in light of creativity. I'd like to pointedly mention that even though I created this thread that I'm by no means perfect, either. I've just had this idea buzzing around in my head for a while now, and decided to give it a go. ;3

First and foremost, yes, you may post or link to your own writings here for feedback, publicity, etc... That is not the main point of this thread, but I'd just like to make it clear that, yes, you may post any writing that you have written.

Since that's now out of the way, I'll tell ya what the real idea behind this thread is. This thread will be, in effect, a series vague ideas I'll spout out sometimes, and I'll ask that you write about them. For example, let's say that for this exercise I'd like for you to describe, briefly, the taste of a cookie, without ever typing the word cookie.

I won't give any samples, because it's your job to take it however you want! Be creative, be straightforward, be silly, be whatever! After you've finished your (let's say) paragraph, you post it here, and everyone will comment, laugh, cry, whatever.

Kinda like a free, at your leisure, online Creative Writing Class. Y'see where I'm coming from?

In addition, it's very difficult for me to read and review everyone's submissions. Please, if you come and decide to respond to a prompt, then read and review other people's responses after your submission! This requires everyone's participation; I can't do it all on my own. crying

-----------------
now for the rules

--& Be nice. Always remain kind, courteous, and civil while posting here. This is a friendly thread for friendly people.

--& When critiquing, if you choose to, always mention, first, the positives of the work, and then what could be improved. Since everything that will be posted here is, in effect, a rough draft, there is no need to critique every little misplaced comma or improper spelling.

--& When posting materials, please remember to respect Gaia's PG-13 policy.

--& Remember, above all else, that this is all for fun! Don't be too serious. No one's making you participate, after all. ;3

--& Feel free to chat with one another. After all, we want to be friendly, right? ;3

--& Even if I'm offline, feel free to continue discussing the prompts, or post a writing of your own to have it looked over. ;3

--& I'll change these as needs arise. After all, rules have to be as flexible as life is, sometimes. <3

Bashful Fairy

The Current Prompt

11-15-07

For today's prompt, I decided to try something that'll be a bit more challenging, but will allow for more creativity and more differentiation between the prompt responses. :'D Also, many, many wonderful replies to the last prompt. Yay!

Alright, today I'd like for you to think about your ALL TIME FAVORITE FOOD. If you don't have / can't pick a favorite, then think about a food that DISGUSTS you COMPLETELY.

Now, briefly, I'd like for you to describe how said food tastes to you... The catch? Don't mention the name of the food, any ingredients to the food, yaddayadda.

Just describe the taste itself. Is it sour? Is it sweet? What is the texture? How does it make you feel to eat this food? ... Really, cut loose with it! Let your explanations soar!

( Also, for a little added fun, let's try and guess what each-other's food is! ;D )

Bashful Fairy

The White / Black List.

White List'd
Buttsecks on a Plane. ('cause she's just super. lol )
Ooare. ( She was the first poster, and she suggested a better flowing name. *hugs* )

Black List'd
No one. Let's keep it that way. ;3

Bashful Fairy

Miskalanny-US

Any miscellaneous things I feel the need to share will be placed here. If you have any suggestions for what could be placed here, let me know. <3

Bashful Fairy

Reserved. ;3

Bashful Fairy

O shi-
It's open. biggrin

I think I should write for my own prompt.
Yup yup. ;3

Bashful Fairy

My mind is nothing but a jumbled assortment of thoughts and fleeting feelings. What will happen to me tomorrow? Wasn't that funny, what happened to me today? It's cold in here. My leg itches.

I scratch it.

... Sighing, I roll over so as to face the wall, catching more of the air from the fan at my feet on the nightstand. My limbs feel irregular, and protest the idea of sleep, but as the cool air rolls over my body, and my thoughts continue to progress more and more vividly, I begin to lose track of how uncomfortable or comfortable my body is, and focus then on my train of thought.

Quickly, my thoughts grow more abstract, more difficult to keep track of. Fleeting, this way and that, until I lose track of them all-together.

-RING RING RING-

With a grunt and a moan, I switch off my alarm in the morning. When on Earth did I even fall asleep?
I never notice when I'm falling asleep at the time, never at all. I have an incredibly active imagination, and it keeps my brain moving, but then-
All of a sudden, I can't move my limbs. Why? Well, it feels like the effort to actually move them outweighs any possible benefits. So lying here, paralysed and stuck like a magnet to the bed, I daydream. Slowly, ever so slowly, these waking dreams blurr and merge into the surreal worlds of the sleeping mind.
I wonder if I'll notice it tonight...

Whee! Submission!

Bashful Fairy

Ooare
I never notice when I'm falling asleep at the time, never at all. I have an incredibly active imagination, and it keeps my brain moving, but then-
All of a sudden, I can't move my limbs. Why? Well, it feels like the effort to actually move them outweighs any possible benefits. So lying here, paralysed and stuck like a magnet to the bed, I daydream. Slowly, ever so slowly, these waking dreams blurr and merge into the surreal worlds of the sleeping mind.
I wonder if I'll notice it tonight...

Whee! Submission!

Oh goodness! You posted! *gasms*

Well, it feels like the effort to actually move them outweighs any possible benefits.
This line stuck out to me, particularly. I really liked it... Somehow, it just seems to add an air of finality to your sleeping. :'D

I think daydreaming is a very good word for the thought process before sleep. I was actually casting around for a word when I was writing mine, and I'm surprised this one didn't come to mind. <3 Kudooos.

Also, I like the magnet reference. That's a very good way to describe someone with a body half-asleep. :'D

I'd suggest, perhaps, looking into making it flow a little bit better. Particularly between the first sentence, second sentence, and third sentence. It seemed a little jump-forward to me. 3nodding

Care to critique mine? 8D
The tablets kicking in now, I can feel it. My lids are becoming droopy and although I know it's inevitable, I fight it. Rolling my head slightly, it turns to gaze at the browny/organe coloured pill bottle in which my sleeping pills are encased. Blessed things they are, removing my cursed insomnia. My lids are getting even heavier now, things blurring in and out of focus as I continue to fight the drugs; sinking. I fell as though I'm sinking as I drift into a world in which nothing matters and no thoughts buzz through my head with lightning speed.

At last.

Peace.

Bashful Fairy

Eloquently Macabre
The tablets kicking in now, I can feel it. My lids are becoming droopy and although I know it's inevitable, I fight it. Rolling my head slightly, it turns to gaze at the browny/organe coloured pill bottle in which my sleeping pills are encased. Blessed things they are, removing my cursed insomnia. My lids are getting even heavier now, things blurring in and out of focus as I continue to fight the drugs; sinking. I fell as though I'm sinking as I drift into a world in which nothing matters and no thoughts buzz through my head with lightning speed.

At last.

Peace.

Aaaah, insomnia. ;_; Poor dollll...

Blessed things they are, removing my cursed insomnia.
Mm, I like the contrast you made right there. I dunno if it was intentional, or not, but it stuck out to me in a good way. 3nodding

I like the fact that, instead of letting yourself just fall into sleep, you describe yourself as fighting it, but knowing you had to give in inevitably.

I also like the description of your world where nothing matters, and no thoughts etc... A very nice depiction of sleepyworld.

I know it's not really a content related thing, but I don't like the use of sinking in the second to last sentence, and then right away in the last one. ;3 Look out for those! I know I repeat words ALL the time.

Otherwise, this is nice. With elaboration, it'd make for a good opening or closing to a short story, or something of the sort. ;3
I couldn't think of another word for sinking! xD I thought about using oblivion instead of world. But it flowed better the other way. Or, in my head it did.

The contrast was purely accidental! I don't think about techniques when I'm writing, I just write. The only time I stop to think is when I'm trying to find a synonym or to think of spelling and such.
Oh, I'm in a constant state of sedated imagining. I'm either day-dreaming or freaking out, I don't have anything in there between the two. So I tend to use the phrase 'day-dreaming' a lot. Actually, I think it was the wrong word, but whatever. See? I don't even care about that.

Buttsecks on a Plane
My mind is nothing but a jumbled assortment of thoughts and fleeting feelings. What will happen to me tomorrow? Wasn't that funny, what happened to me today? It's cold in here. My leg itches.

I scratch it.

... Sighing, I roll over so as to face the wall, catching more of the air from the fan at my feet on the nightstand. My limbs feel irregular, and protest the idea of sleep, but as the cool air rolls over my body, and my thoughts continue to progress more and more vividly, I begin to lose track of how uncomfortable or comfortable my body is, and focus then on my train of thought.

Quickly, my thoughts grow more abstract, more difficult to keep track of. Fleeting, this way and that, until I lose track of them all-together.

-RING RING RING-

With a grunt and a moan, I switch off my alarm in the morning. When on Earth did I even fall asleep?

I like your use of concise sentances and spacing around "My leg itches..."; I have a small passion for short, subtle sentances and you've pulled it off really well here.

Over-all, I like the way that it flows, and I think you capture the transition between wake and sleep very well. The only thing I'm a bit iffy about is the use of the alarm clock as waking you up, since that's been used so many times - but then again, almost everyone in the Western world is woken by their alarm clocks. No surprise that it's the first thing you think of.

So yes. It works, it flows, I like it. ^.^

Bashful Fairy

Eloquently Macabre
I couldn't think of another word for sinking! xD I thought about using oblivion instead of world. But it flowed better the other way. Or, in my head it did.

The contrast was purely accidental! I don't think about techniques when I'm writing, I just write. The only time I stop to think is when I'm trying to find a synonym or to think of spelling and such.

Lol! It happens. Don't worry about it.

;3 Ahhh! Generally, brilliance strikes us accidentally. <3 I really did like it, though. ;D

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff