Welcome to Gaia! ::

Moonlight Sailor

Writers are often told that the first line/paragraph/page is one of the most important. "You need to hook the reader," people say. "Make them want to read on, grab their attention from the first sentence." (Novels get a little more time to pick up, but if you've written a ten page story, the first two pages had better not be character description.)

A bad hook will get your story rejected or put down within a few lines. Editors will only read until you give them a reason to stop. And not just editors, but readers as well-- I know I've gotten pretty tired of bad books. I'm much less forgiving than I used to be, because I only have so much time. I've found that I can usually tell very quickly whether a book will work for me or not, and the beginning is (part of) what I use to gauge that.

Starting in the middle of the action.

Sounds good, right? Start when something actually happens as opposed to your character waking up to their alarm clock, getting dressed, looking at their face in the mirror, and having breakfast. And I agree that this opening is overdone and boring.

But I feel like the other suggestion too often results in a loss of tension rather than an increase. Starting off with a nameless, faceless character fleeing an unknown pursuer in the woods or having a last-second escape from some other great danger is just not that exciting. Why should I care whether they live or die when I don't know anything about the character or their motivations yet?

This doesn't mean that you need a physical description of the character or a lot of back story. But you should probably include some setup. To me, this means getting in some dialogue. It's one of the best ways to "blow something up." Good dialogue is so important to establishing your characters.

(Edit to add-- I do realize that the intent of the suggestion to start with action is not chase scenes. I just think that it's the way it's often interpreted.)

Starting with a gimmick.

A wacky opening line is not enough. A lot of editors are tired of writers using these kinds of openings to try to grab interest. If you read enough of these things, they do get tiresome.

For example: "Everything was normal, and then I turned into an alien!"

And do not try to use an interest-grabbing hook as a placeholder until you can get to what you really wanted to start with. Too often, writers will start off with something like this:

"I walked into the bank to deposit a check and suddenly I saw a flash of light and felt like I was being pulled through the wall. I found myself in a strange meadow surrounded by fairies! The day had started off normally enough. I woke up and had my usual breakfast of toast and jelly. Then I dressed and headed to work..."

The point of a hook is not to grab the reader's interest so that you can sneak in your boring background information or back story afterward! The point is to cut that out entirely and learn to insert necessary information into the story as you go.

What I think works.

I think too many people feel like they have to go all out in their opening lines. They try to shock the reader with dead bodies (save it for later-- the higher the body count is in the beginning, the less impact death will have later in the novel), explosions, escapes.

Once you're established, you have more leeway. You can have a slower start, because the reader trusts you based on your past works. When you're new, you don't have that luxury, and you need to prove yourself quickly.

Interesting dialogue. Give us a hint of a character. No boring, routine conversations unless something unexpected happens, and quickly. Arguments can be wonderful things. People say things they don't mean, bring up past grudges, respond in ways that don't really address the issue at hand.

Setting. But only use this if there is something interesting about it, and preferably do it from the point of view of a character rather than from a distance. And don't describe the weather unless it's important to what's actually going on.

So.

What kind of openings work for you? Know any published writers who write brilliant beginnings that we can learn from?

What about openings you hate? What are you tired of seeing in the first paragraph? Are you willing to admit to doing any of the things you shouldn't in a story or novel?
Beginnings are very important, and one of the hardest things to write, for me, anyway. There are so many ways to start a book and I never know if I'm choosing the right one.

I try not to ever start a story with dialogue. It's a great way for some and I've read lots of books that do, but for me, it feels like a cheesy gimmick.

Starting with the action doesn't mean gunfire and explosions and mad chases through the woods. It's not that kind of action. It just means, the story is about something that happens, so start when that something starts to happen, not a week before. (that made no sense)

When I start stories, I try to set up an interesting scene and introduce a character or two. Some beginnings I've written:

Quote:
Fifty bags of potatoes was a hell of a lot of potatoes. Rayne didn’t know what his father was thinking. It was a bargain, of course – less than three laenes a bag – and if he could sell them for eight or nine – the going rate for potatoes in their corner of the world – they’d turn a fine profit, but that was only if he could sell them. Not that doubted his father, but … fifty bags was a hell of a lot of potatoes.

Quote:
I've never seen such a pathetic slave market, and I've been to some real a**-end of the universe places. It's just a rotting wooden platform in a field of mud and yellow grass, with us slaves corralled off to one side. There are six of us, down from the eight that had left Ventia a week ago. The old man had died at sea, and the girl was bought up before we'd even stepped off the ship, by a whorehouse, I think.

Quote:
The stink of rotting flesh filled the small cabin, sticking in the back of Saril's throat, but he said nothing as Rio Darrent dragged the corpse into the middle of the room. The dead man was easily sixty pounds heavier than the mage moving him, and bodies were so unwieldy anyway--Rio staggered and nearly dropped the body.

So, yeah. I guess I start with action and make sure it's interesting or unexpected.
I usually start with a murder investigation because I tend to write murder mysteries. I hate starting with a dream, dialogue, or a flashback. To me, that's just a sad way to start any story.

2,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
[Nishin
I usually start with a murder investigation because I tend to write murder mysteries. I hate starting with a dream, dialogue, or a flashback. To me, that's just a sad way to start any story.

I am unfortuneatly guilty of that, but it's a nessesary evil that my plot entails. I think I did a good job at making it a little more interesting than most dream sequences, but I always worry about my beginning. Can I get an opinion on it?

Here's my current first section thing:
Quote:
In the beginning, there was nothing.

There was nothing but dark and fire, the Book with its pages lit by flickering phantoms. A boy sat in the nothing and read it. The story was unfinished, but it was important. It spoke of an entire race and their struggle for survival.
It spoke of good and evil.
It spoke of dark and light.
And it was his only way home.

… And all creation came from its lonely thoughts

“Hey! No peeking! It’s not finished yet.” The Book was jerked out of the boy’s hands, breaking the spell. He blinked at the sudden rush of sunlight that came to his senses at last. He looked up, shielding his eyes from the glare of the unforgiving sun.
I usually start by trying to capture the reader's senses.

Here's one of my openings

Quote:

“He lied” her sad face showed through the thin white satin veil that covered her head “he said he loved me and free me from this wedding which is against my will”
On the altar, the perfect husband her parents gave her awaited. She made small steps towards the altar as a last resort.
“I could not walk this way forever. In one way or another, I would end up on that altar together with that husband my parents gave” she tried to shrug off that thought, but she is starting to realize it’s inevitable.
“Liar, liar, liar. He said he would protect me. He said…” sighs escaped her sorrowful breath, turquoise tears ran down her rosy cheeks, her eyes looked to both her left and right and saw smiling people; their emotions are a sharp contrast to what she is feeling.
“As I walk towards the future I wish not have, I think it is best to reminisce all the wonderful memories I had with him. Maybe then it will be easier to forget them.” the tears ran more quickly from both her eyes, she looked at the bouquet of flowers that she held and drifted into her memories…
“I am of Royalty, though they thought I had the easy life, most of the time I only see the walls. But every time I looked outside my window, farther than the cold stone which had always imprisoned me, only that cascading fountain which spurt out clear water soothed me.” -Princess Claudia

Moonlight Sailor

edward_sledge
I try not to ever start a story with dialogue. It's a great way for some and I've read lots of books that do, but for me, it feels like a cheesy gimmick.

That's interesting. Can you elaborate on why it feels like a gimmick to you?

edward_sledge
Starting with the action doesn't mean gunfire and explosions and mad chases through the woods. It's not that kind of action. It just means, the story is about something that happens, so start when that something starts to happen, not a week before. (that made no sense)

Yeah, I realized afterward that I wasn't clear on that point. I like when a book starts with something interesting happening, of course-- I meant to say that I feel like starting with action is interpreted differently, and sometimes that leads to chase scenes and explosions. (And I have seen people suggest things like "set something on fire" and such)

[Nishin

Yeah, I think there are a few problems with starting with a dream.

1. It's often used to shove in some backstory or foreshadowing that really doesn't need to be there.
2. We don't really care about the character yet, even less so about their dreams. Heck, even listening to a friend's dream can drag on or get confusing.
3. The implication is always that the dream means something, whereas really... most dreams are just weird and half-remembered.
I like to start in the middle of the action, but like with any other writing method, it has to be done well. I've seen it both used and abused. I think to do this, the writer has to have a clear intention and a picture in mind that they want to show to the reader.

My story opens with my MC in stuck in a fire in her apartment. It's blocking the door, so she breaks a window to climb out onto the fire escape. You don't get any details about why she lived alone or why she didn't bother collecting any items until you get to know her later in the story. I just don't feel that the reader's going to care about any of that before getting to know her. So I hold off on it. If people get attached to her and want to know, they're welcome to stick around biggrin

I guess I feel like you shouldn't FORCE your story on the reader, especially in an opener. Don't shove half your novel at them in the prologue, or there'll be no reason for them to finish it. I think by giving them a snippet of the picture you have in your head, you stand a pretty good chance of having someone read on to get the rest of the puzzle.
Everyone ready? Grab your poles and nets, we're going to practice hooking.

The art of hooking is wide and ever-changing. One could be subtle and hook a reader, and yet others prefer to be hooked with glorious displays. However, the fact remains true: your first paragraphs will determine whether or not your reader is interested.

As yourself the following questions:
- How powerful is your FIRST sentence?
- Overall, what effect are you trying to imply through your first paragraph?
- Is your beginning making an appropriate promise to the reader?

Examples
"Torren was out at the edge of the cabbage field that day, the day people came."
- People of the Sparks (Jeanne DuPrau)

"Twilight was gathering, and Orpheus still wasn't here."
- Inkspell (Cornelia Funke)

"I ran my fingers across the page, feeling the dents where we had pressed the pen to the paper so hard that it had nearly broken through."
- Eclipse (Stephanie Meyer)

"Brambleclaw stood at the top of the slope, gazing at the clawpricks of silver fire reflected in the lake below."
- Warriors: The New Prophecy (Erin Hunter)

“Wind howled through the night, carrying a scent that would change the world.”
- Eragon (Chrisopher Paolini)

There's a definite pattern here...

Post the first line of your book. Does it follow the pattern?
Let's discuss how we can make the first line, first paragraphs, beginning of our stories as strong and appealing as they can be.

Quote:
I felt the uncontrollable urge to break out in tears—but vampires don’t break out in tears.

- Ghost at Full Moon
Quote:
Clopping hooves smashed through the air, bringing the promise of a new age.

- Regnum Resurrection
Quote:
The guard poked his spear into my back, tipping me off balance.

- Charac

Other first lines:
Quote:
In every room there is a place that has not seen light.

Quote:
As quickly as he sprang, he was a tornado, then a wildfire, then an avalanche, then a sizzling thunderbolt.

Share your ideas on crafting the perfect opener?
I personally don't care for abstract openers. For instance, I don't believe your hook-sentence should be a profound insight into the nature of the human soul (unless you're Plato or Aristotle). I mean, what IS a soul? Something to that effect is totally intangible and, in my opinion, too lofty for the reader to bother connecting with. Start out with something true - a taste, a sight, a sound, whatever. Something that people can get a picture of.
Please allow me to provide some examples that don't suck, since that appears to be an issue:

From Sherman Alexie's "Amusements":

Quote:
After summer heat and too much coat-pocket whiskey, Dirty Joe passed out on the worn grass of the carnival midway and Sadie and I stood over him, looked down at his flat face, a map for all the wars he fought in the Indian bars.

From Alexie's "Jesus Christ's Half-Brother Is Alive And Well On The Spokane Indian Reservation":

Quote:
Rosemary MorningDove gave birth to a boy today and seeing as how it was nearly Christmas and she kept telling everyone she was still a virgin even though Frank Many Horses said it was his we all just figured it was an accident.

From Kevin Canty's "The Victim":

Quote:
Tethered to her station by a coil of beige plastic, a tiny microphone in her mouth, voices in her ears, she feels her body become part of the machine after the first few minutes of work, the type of work machines do better anyway: "Reservations this is Tina how can I help you?"

From A.M. Homes' "Adults Alone":

Quote:
Elaine takes the boys to Florida and drops them off like they're dry cleaning.

From Denis Johnson's "Work":

Quote:
I'd been staying at the Holiday Inn with my girlfriend, honestly the most beautiful woman I'd ever known, for three days under a phony name, shooting heroin.

From Johnson's "Happy Hour":

Quote:
I was after a seventeen-year-old belly dancer who was always in the company of a boy who claimed to be her brother, but he wasn't her brother, he was just somebody who was in love with her, and she let him hang around because life can be that way.

Have fun.

6,050 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200
V for Venereal Disease
Please allow me to provide some examples that don't suck, since that appears to be an issue:

Ouch. razz

I don't have any particular formula for openings; I just use a well-constructed sentence that sounds good to me. The best openings sum up the contents of the story in a very short space; that way, people who like the opening will probably like the rest of the book.
a children's short story I'm trying to edit and publish
When I was nine years old, I achieved my life-long dream of falling in with the wrong crowd.

John Steinbeck, "Cannery Row"
Cannery Row in Monterey in California is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream. Cannery Row is the gathered and scattered, tin and iron and rust and splintered wood, chipped pavement and weedy lots and junk heaps, sardine canneries of corrugated iron, honky tonks, restaurants and whore houses, and little crowded groceries, and laboratories and flophouses. Its inhabitants are, as the man once said, "whores, pimps, gamblers, and sons of bitches," by which he meant Everybody. Had the man looked through another peephole he might have said, "Saints and angels and martyrs and holy men," and he would have meant the same thing.

Dapper Gaian

1,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
A few of my openers:

Quote:

Adevgira was born with the first light burst that graced the skies.

Quote:

The wind whispered in the silence fallen over the track field.

Quote:

“Choose wisely, son.”

“Choose well, son.”

Quote:

Colors dappled the grey stone of the little chapel as dawn light cast through the stained glass windows.

Quote:

It had been ten years since the emperor’s death, and the Rudjosai empire was still in mourning.

Quote:

The sun set on the vast, empty parking lot.

Quote:

Imogene Cartwright, through all the education rendered to her by books and life experience, had always been under the impression that the purpose of marriage was to bind together two souls who had a strong, mutual affection.

Eloquent Hunter

I tend to write in the first person, so I may as well begin with something my character is thinking about, that reflects his or her nature, or an event that has just occurred, or an event that will occur.

Quote:
They say "intrinsic motivation" as though it's something to be ashamed of.

--Working Title
I like starting out with a statement that's indicative of the personality of the person thinking it (I usually write from limited third), or one that presents an odd image, or lays out an odd scene.

Perfect openers... well, that's clearly subjective. I don't mind if the 'hook' takes the first line, the first paragraph, or the first five pages. So long as, somewhere in the beginning, I forget that I'm reading and just turn the pages on auto in my immersion. If the book can't manage that, then I either finish it and forget it, or put it down if it annoys me.
Here's one of my favourite opening lines.

Line
Well, there's a first.

I know it's lame, but it seemed appropriate at the time.

The perfect opening line/paragraph/scenario is of course a subjective matter. Personally, I like a book that starts right after a conflict or an action scene. Truly. As in, there has just been an argument or a scene that the character I'm focusing on needs to recover from, but not a scene that is vital to the story as you would need to display those for real, and not just their aftermath.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff