Welcome to Gaia! ::

kthnxbai

tl;dr 1 100.0% [ 220 ]
Total Votes:[ 220 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 >

An interesting idea that cropped up in the shower: Is it possible for an author to write about a character who is more intelligent than they are, when said character is in a major role? Failed attempts are numerous.

For example, readers of Eragon will recall a scene in which Eragon challenges a group of travelers in a bar with this brain-teaser. "I could say the sky was green, but that doesn't make it true!" Inexplicably, everyone in the bar (even the people who had no reason to listen) falls silent in awe. Another example comes from a film riffed by Mystery Science Theater 3000 called The Rebel Set. The villain, a "criminal genius" who went by the name Mr. T, impressed our heroes with lines such as, "A great writer once said, 'A rose by another other name would still have thorns.'"

Making a character appear knowledgeable in a field (such as engineering or house cleaning) can be easily accomplished with research and a modest amount of bullshitting, but what about being intelligent in general? How much are writers limited by their own intellect and life experience in, say, the creation of a mentor figure?

Invisible Ghost

The thing with creating a character that's smarter than you is, you're able to take as much time as you want/need to think or research a reply for them.

It will be annoying if you have to do an hours research every time your characters change subjects, and there's possibly a few things you feel that you yourself would never be able to wrap your head around, but it is possible to write a character who is much smarter than you.
the hidden ghost
The thing with creating a character that's smarter than you is, you're able to take as much time as you want/need to think or research a reply for them.

It will be annoying if you have to do an hours research every time your characters change subjects, and there's possibly a few things you feel that you yourself would never be able to wrap your head around, but it is possible to write a character who is much smarter than you.

But you can't spend hours sitting around trying to acheive brilliance every time your character has to solve a problem or say something meaningful, you'll get frusterated and want to move away from the story. It's happened to me before. Most of the time I think up the perfect line an hour or a couple days after I already wrote down a crappy one, then have to go back and re-write.

Sparkly Lunatic

10,400 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Divorced 100
  • Vanquished Angel 50
i tend to avoid making them too much smarter than me. If I do, I'll ask someone who knows about the s**t I'm writing to explain it to me in dumb-dumb terms, as though I'm a none-too-bright five-year old so I have the grounding, then I get them to write some of the technical crap. It can make your character sound really smart xd

Invisible Ghost

Sergeant Sargent
the hidden ghost

But you can't spend hours sitting around trying to acheive brilliance every time your character has to solve a problem or say something meaningful, you'll get frusterated and want to move away from the story. It's happened to me before. Most of the time I think up the perfect line an hour or a couple days after I already wrote down a crappy one, then have to go back and re-write.

Not saying it's a good idea, I'm just saying it could be done. xd

To be honest, I've never really had this problem. My characters have my intelligence or lower.
I think that in general we are limited to characters that fall within our own range of intelligence and experience because it's hard to write something that you don't know. Doing research for a character means that you are learning that which your character needs to know and so you are both remaining on the same level of intelligence. It's hard to write what you don't know so most writers expand what they know in order to expand their range of character possibilities. It is however, possible to fake intelligence but as Jabberwocky Sinope XXVII said, it's really hard to do and almost impossible to do well, especially if the character in question is a major one.

just my two cents...

Timid Raider

Actually, I'm just about to run into that problem.

I have a couple of characters who are, literally, super-intelligent rocket scientists. And they like to talk. Thankfully, at the moment they are eight and nine years old and having their heads filled with nonsense by the Gypsy Queen, so I can make up as much crap up as I like without sounding like a moron who didn't do their research.

And then later on they get thrown in an extermination camp where rocket science is worth about as much as a handful of dirt. And most of the time that they're at the university they're avoiding the White Rose group or getting into bar fights.

So hopefully I'll only have to have a few chapters of science-rubbish and not have to go into too much detail about what they're actually doing. Only a few hours research for me!

Normally, I try and avoid creating characters that are smarter than myself. Even when I do have them, I try and keep them out of situations where they would be in the position to show off those smarts, or give them personalities where they would be unlikely to bother being smart and would just do something normal instead.
But what if you really want a character to show their intellegence? It's important for intellegent characters to establish a reputation with the reader, otherwise their intellegence might come off as an unwanted surprise later in the story.

Timid Raider

Sergeant Sargent
But what if you really want a character to show their intellegence? It's important for intellegent characters to establish a reputation with the reader, otherwise their intellegence might come off as an unwanted surprise later in the story.

I don't know.

I simply state that they have remarkable grades at school, and then, like I said, it is mentioned that they're into rocket science and physics later on. The fact that they're smart makes itself perfectly clear without them having to show off - especially when fellow students sit around reading their notes trying to figure out just how they managed to get to a certain conclusion.

Distinct Conversationalist

I am of the school of thought that you really, really shouldn't try to write a character more intelegent than you are. Why? Because no ammount of research can mimic an intuitive or elegant answer to a problem. You can make them think fast, sure, but you can't make them think better. Period. Same with characters drastically less intelegent than you are.

I know this is a personal oppinion, but I'd like to state that I have never seen a character portrayed as super-intelegent that was pulled off well, and if I can outsmart a character, it seems really... odd to have other characters go on about how smart that character is. (no, I do not think I am extrordanarily intelegent. However, I have had this happen when an author didn't think out all the possible solutions to a problem. It's lame. Don't do it.)

Hallowed Phantom

Sergeant Sargent

One thing you can do is have the character be interested in something you would not mind researching. This does not mean your that character has to have the same interests as you; just have an interest that if you did the research, you would not fall asleep while doing it.

For example, I could never make a decent scientist, because a lot of aspects of science bore me. I would get too frustrated doing the research (and writing science fiction in general). However, I love mythology, folklore, witch hunts, and Medieval torture and its effects. I have a sadistic Evil Overlord who is very good at bringing pain to his victims, both physically and mentally. Here, my torture research comes in handy.

I also have to keep in mind that as an Evil Overlord with the castle, the minions, the armies, a kingdom, and the works, I also have to do research on running a kingdom, and, while keeping him evil, also keep his subjects happy, because happy subjects means the kingdom prospers (taken from the Evil Overlord cliche list: "I will exploit my subjects, but I will never exploit them to desperation or destitution. I am evil, not stupid." wink . He is an excellent strategist, which means I need to know a few good war tactics to show he is a good leader and, to a point, a conquerer, though he is pretty much satisfied with what he has (kingdom-wise, anyway).

I would definitely say that he is more intelligent than I am, but he is definitely not a supergenius. I think for a character who is more intelligent than you to be believable, you need to know the limits of your own intelligence, and sort of stay in the ball park with it, not going too much more beyond it. If you feel you can handle it, take the risk. If not, try talking to someone who is smarter than you and knows more on the subject.
There are different types of intelligence. Book smarts is pretty easy to pull off.

I think the type of intelligence that isn't dependent on school grades and such is the hardest to pull off. Some of the most intelligent people I've met are people who didn't do too well in school because their intelligence does not follow the set rules and such that schools teach.
I have a character like this and I find his intelligence hard to make apparant; he's not very theoretical and doesn't really like books but he does tend to grasp ideas quicker then everyone else. He can also apply previous ideas he has heard of, and seen, to other settings.
He's not capable of pulling an idea out of nowhere but he is very good at using what he knows and understandng a concept quickly if its explained to him.

He's the most intelligent character in my story and yet to look at him you wouldn't think so. He's loud, laid back and dismissive to theory's with no evidence.

I think when writing you have the advantage of being able to look back in the character's past with no problem and you should use that to your advantage. Some dimmer characters will not even think to use their past experiences or even remember them, some will. You can make a character seem intelligent just through your status of knowing all there is to know about the story, they don't remember- so a character who seems quicker and more aware despite being still slow in comparison to the writers knowledge, will come across as intelligent.
I've never really thought about that. The characters on the novel I'm working on now are all about my age, and of about my intelligence level. They're a little more mature than me, though. I don't know if I could pull off a character smarter than me, at least not yet.

I love that Eragon quote. I should have a rotating sig full of Eragon quotes, but that might be more painful than hilarious. gonk
Since writing is often an expression of our inner selves, maybe having a smart character is just expressing some kind of inner intelligence the writer didn't know about...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff