Welcome to Gaia! ::

My first attempt at a mini rant. This has been kinda bugging me. sweatdrop

We don't care that your misunderstood MC is angsting about her arranged marriage,despite the fact that this practice has gone on for like, centuries and your character knows nothing else. Okay, some may, but it's just so... Lame. It seems like with marriage in fantasy, the female always is against it. Why? if the character lives in a society based on marriage, would there really be a problem? I would think that they would be excited, what with all the celebrations and gifts that usually come along with it. Sure, the girl may be a bit sad/ scared about leaving her home, but ,for once, can't the excitement of the wedding/ being married outweigh it? Please?

It usually seems as if the girl's opposition to the marriage jump starts the story. Blegh. It's so predictable. Girl runs away, accusing their parents of being unfair (I should choose who I marry!!!111) gets lost in the Forbidden Forest (tm) and either gets saved by a rogushly handsome hunter, or finds their way through the forest into the city without so musch as a scratch, possibly one for good measure. It makes me want to hurt innocent things.

Do you know what would be cool? If a village girl ( it doesnt have to be the MC) Ran into such a magickal forest, got lost, and died of starvation. Realistic? I think so. 15 year old distraught girls aren't the best foragers in a strange forest. And don't give me that "chosen powers" crap.

But what would be better is a girl who doesn't mind marriage, and actually looks forward to it.

And if the whole marriage thing ain't for your story, don't do the "run away" thing. It's getting old. wink
I hear what you're saying. Do writers never consider that perhaps the village girl might have caring parents who'll set her up with a nice young man she'll get on well with?
Rest assured, the story I am writing currently has an arranged marriage in it. The main character has never met her husband to be and there is a very large age difference between the two. However, she is uber happy about it because his family is much richer than hers (don't worry, there's a reason she's marrying up).

Marriage is a political/financial alliance, that's all. She performs her "wifely duties" and all that, but she keeps the "roguishly handsome hunter" as her lover. Best of both worlds, IMO, and no need to meet up with any ROUSes.
A spin-off of this is the princess who doesn't want to be a princess and be married.

Except, how would she know the difference? It's not as though they're allowed to wander amongst lower-class people or be genuinely educated about the ways of the world. No. They're taught to make small talk and play the harp and damn well like it.
Jhesy
A spin-off of this is the princess who doesn't want to be a princess and be married.

Except, how would she know the difference? It's not as though they're allowed to wander amongst lower-class people or be genuinely educated about the ways of the world. No. They're taught to make small talk and play the harp and damn well like it.

Exactly...it's all well and good having a character who wants to be rebellious but too many writers don't take historical context into consideration.

It's like...my dad was pointing out to me the impossibility of the romance in Titanic. In real life it wouldn't just have been a "difficult relationship", it would have been impossible, simply because the class system was so in force in those days that people from such different class backgrounds would not have even looked twice at each other.
I hate saying this, but I fart in the general direction of those whose arranged marriages are 99% like your rant is describing.

Arrranged marriages are/were what Kukushka said. You do it for money, for politics, and (in the days of Shakespeare) religion.

Also, I love how you trademarked the Forbidden Forest. It brightened up my day.
Nematri
It's like...my dad was pointing out to me the impossibility of the romance in Titanic. In real life it wouldn't just have been a "difficult relationship", it would have been impossible, simply because the class system was so in force in those days that people from such different class backgrounds would not have even looked twice at each other.

Which is why Leonardo dies.

Rose gets her little fantasy, her splurge in boy-toy world, but then reality crashes in (symbolized by the boat sinking and him dying).

IMO, it's handled really well. She's a modern girl with ideas that are perhaps a little too modern, but reality prevails. She may go against her fiance and her mother, but she can't resist reality.
Kukushka
Nematri

Which is why Leonardo dies.

Rose gets her little fantasy, her splurge in boy-toy world, but then reality crashes in (symbolized by the boat sinking and him dying).

IMO, it's handled really well. She's a modern girl with ideas that are perhaps a little too modern, but reality prevails. She may go against her fiance and her mother, but she can't resist reality.

I think my dad's point was that it was such an impossible situation that the odds of it happening in the first place were near zero.

I'm not denying that the affair was of huge importance to the plot and handled well; just that it may not have been 100% probable. Then again, this is movie-land, and they have artistic licence. (I have nothing against artistic licence, personally.)
Nematri
I think my dad's point was that it was such an impossible situation that the odds of it happening in the first place were near zero.

I'm not denying that the affair was of huge importance to the plot and handled well; just that it may not have been 100% probable. Then again, this is movie-land, and they have artistic licence. (I have nothing against artistic licence, personally.)

Not entirely. History is full of examples of such flings. If a higher class person is going to have a whirlwind romance, it HAD to be with someone lower class. The scandal of it being someone of the same class (at least, if either were already married and/or not planning to marry that person immediately) would have made it absolutely impossible.

Basically, if Rose was going to have an affair, it HAD to be with Jack. As long as she shut the hell up about it and still married her fiance, that was the only semi-acceptable way for her to do it.

Also, remember the setting. They are on a boat, an enclosed space where all the different classes are mingling. If they were going to meet, that's the perfect place for it.

I don't think your dad is "wrong" in the sense that such an affair could ever have worked out. I just think that the movie handled it very realistically.

EDIT: My husband says I should clarify. My point is that the only way to handle an affair discreetly was to have it with someone of a much lower class. It was just so difficult to keep affairs among higher class equals out of the gossip papers.

Hallowed Phantom

I have done the arranged marriage thing. In my defense, the girl in question married her lover in secret, and then found out about the arrangement (she had planned to tell her father about her marriage), and she was upset about it, because she knew that she deeply disappointed her father. Had she not married the first man, she might have been a bit opposed at first, but eventually accepted her arranged, because she knew her father only did what was best for her. She was not the rebellious type; just deeply in love.

(And to be honest, due to certain events in the story, she would have been happier---and alive---in the arrangement.)

But I do understand the cliche, and I agree that open rebellion can get pretty old. And I am thanking you, because now I have the urge to go write a story with a happily arranged couple.
Kukushka
Nematri

Not entirely. History is full of examples of such flings. If a higher class person is going to have a whirlwind romance, it HAD to be with someone lower class. The scandal of it being someone of the same class (at least, if either were already married and/or not planning to marry that person immediately) would have made it absolutely impossible.

Basically, if Rose was going to have an affair, it HAD to be with Jack. As long as she shut the hell up about it and still married her fiance, that was the only semi-acceptable way for her to do it.

Also, remember the setting. They are on a boat, an enclosed space where all the different classes are mingling. If they were going to meet, that's the perfect place for it.

I don't think your dad is "wrong" in the sense that such an affair could ever have worked out. I just think that the movie handled it very realistically.

EDIT: My husband says I should clarify. My point is that the only way to handle an affair discreetly was to have it with someone of a much lower class. It was just so difficult to keep affairs among higher class equals out of the gossip papers.

Hmm, that's interesting. I didn't know that...I'm not all that knowledgeable on history of that period, you see. sweatdrop
I have never read a story where the whole running away from parents into the forest thing ect has happened.
o-o
Im-Not-Lanzer
I have never read a story where the whole running away from parents into the forest thing ect has happened.
o-o

Maybe not into a forest, but I'm sure you've heard of the independent, opinionated, possibly feminist girl that opposes arranged marriage.

Oh, and you gotta LOVE the princess who, after being catered to all her life, wishes to become a knight and runs off posing to be a boy and learning the way of the sword.

Sometimes this is made realistic by the girl getting her a** kicked the first time around, but i dispise the ones where she seems to have the upperhand. I mean, REALLY. Most she ever did was lift her mirror, if that.
Im-Not-Lanzer
o-o

It's quite a popular cliche among amateur writers.
hmm I personally see plenty of reasons to run away from an arrainged marriage, mostly they were set up to further the wealth and prestige of the family and the girl in question generally had no say in the matter.

I am thankful that I am ablt to do my own choosing.

Anyway back to the point of this post. The villiage girl running away from a marriage she doesn't want is done consistantly in stories, but a story without conflict would be rather boring wouldn't it? There are some basic plot points that come up often because they are romantic or entertaining or engaging. Anti-heroes, backstabbing friends, decietful lovers, broken taboo's ect. This senario is just one card in the writers deck, you have to play them as and when they fall.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff