Welcome to Gaia! ::

Have you ever killed your hero in the beginning of the story?

yes 0.32926829268293 32.9% [ 27 ]
no 0.67073170731707 67.1% [ 55 ]
Total Votes:[ 82 ]
1 2 3 4 5 >

Gracious Citizen

Hypothetically speaking:

If a story began by introducing the main character, then proceeded to immediately kill him at the hands of the antagonist, and then resurrect him again, what direction do you naturally expect the story to go from there? Or what direction do you want the story to go? In other words, what do you think the story will be about?

Basically, what kinds of questions does this situation raise, and which of them do you, as a reader, demand be answered by the end of the story?

Do you think it's necessary for the story to focus primarily on the resurrection, or can the resurrection be just another plot element?

And just for fun, to what degree do you think resurrection implies Christian or other religious parallels?

EDIT: To be quite honest, I haven't even thought too deeply into the question myself. I was hoping your replies would spur my brain on some. Though I think I can safely say that, as a reader, I would demand to know how and why he was resurrected, and I would probably expect the story to center a great deal around his resurrection. I would also expect it to be something of a "chosen one" story, where he is the chosen one to save the world or whatever. And, admittedly, that's probably where I would want the story to go (provided he's a good character), because I'm a sucker for "chosen one" stories. smile

And, yes, I do think of religion in some form when I think of resurrection, but mostly because I don't generally think of magic, which would be my other obvious explanation.

I'd probably want to know why it was him who was resurrected and not someone else, and why he had to be resurrected.

EDIT: And another interesting question has been raised! Would killing the hero right in the beginning turn you on or off to the story?
What I want to know is the following:

Why the hell are you asking us when you're writing it?

What makes you think we care about your unfinished ideas in your unfinished book?
I demand nothing.

I am also reminded of Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen, but I demand nothing. You have not given us information to form an opinion. At this point the story could go anywhere.

In addition, the circomstances of the resserection are for you to decide. I don't think it needs to be a big part of the story at all and it would be all too predictable if the story focused primarily on the subject of coming back to life.

Gracious Citizen

Kain Hyvonen
What I want to know is the following:

Why the hell are you asking us when you're writing it?

What makes you think we care about your unfinished ideas in your unfinished book?

*rolls eyes*

Well, first of all, who said I was writing it? All help requests can be directed to the Think Tank, not the main forum. But besides, that's sort of the point of the writer's forum--to bounce ideas off other writers.

And...well, same to your second question. But like I said, I'm not writing this hypothetical "book". That's what makes it hypothetical.

So, then, I suppose it would be fair to ask what business you have posting off-topic replies to a specific question, but I won't, because that would be off-topic. xd (See if you can find the irony in there.)

Then, can I assume that you think resurrection doesn't need to be the central focus of a plot incorporating resurrection? That's the best I can figure, based on your post. smile

Thanks for making an appearance!

But never mind.
Wicken
Hypothetically speaking:

If a story began by introducing the main character, then proceeded to immediately kill him at the hands of the antagonist, and then resurrect him again, what direction do you naturally expect the story to go from there? Or what direction do you want the story to go? In other words, what do you think the story will be about?

Basically, what kinds of questions does this situation raise, and which of them do you, as a reader, demand be answered by the end of the story?

Do you think it's necessary for the story to focus primarily on the resurrection, or can the resurrection be just another plot element?

And just for fun, to what degree do you think resurrection implies Christian or other religious parallels?
1) How and why he was reborn?
2) Either or, or maybe both... (A paradox!)
3) Resurrection in religion isn't my area of expertise. Personally, I have come to know it as "being reborn after dying because of this or that."

I apologize if I am of no help, but it's 9:34 P.M. where I am, girls have certain biological functions that I'm going through, and I'm tired.
What, no snappy remarks for me? crying
Sergeant Sargent
You might not be special enough. Though, with respect, you spelled circumstances wrong in that one post.

Gracious Citizen

Sergeant Sargent

lol

Well, you weren't as blatantly making an attempt at an attack. You at least answered a question.

Do you want a snappy remark? Well...oh, snap, then.

stare

My gosh, I'm so funny!
Wicken
Sergeant Sargent

lol

Well, you weren't as blatantly making an attempt at an attack. You at least answered a question.

Do you want a snappy remark? Well...oh, snap, then.

stare

My gosh, I'm so funny!

ROFFLECOPTER

Gracious Citizen

[Kasumi=kun
3) Resurrection in religion isn't my area of expertise. Personally, I have come to know it as "being reborn after dying because of this or that."

I apologize if I am of no help, but it's 9:34 P.M. where I am, girls have certain biological functions that I'm going through, and I'm tired.

Hey, no, you're very helpful! Though I'm not sure I needed to know about your biological functions! xd Thanks, though. I'm glad you're paying attention. Your reply demonstrates that you have an acceptable level of intelligence. smile

(Not that you other guys don't, I'm just paying a compliment, m'kay?) smile
Wicken
[Kasumi=kun

Hey, no, you're very helpful! Though I'm not sure I needed to know about your biological functions! xd Thanks, though. I'm glad you're paying attention. Your reply demonstrates that you have an acceptable level of intelligence. smile

(Not that you other guys don't, I'm just paying a compliment, m'kay?) smile
Wow, I'm smarter than most people even when I'm exhausted! That's amazing! Mind stating that in front of my evil aunt?
Actually, a story where the main character dies by the hands of an antagonist and comes back to life could be quite interesting.

You know, the guy gets killed, people know he's dead, they accept he's dead... and maybe a month later, he comes in back through the door, alive and well. After panic and shock and et cetera blow over, well, news would spread fast -- doctors would probably be eager to examine him, along with necromancers and anyone who would want to see if he was just some magical anomaly or undead or anything that they hadn't seen before. After that, if this got out to the general public, people who think they're valuable, like large company owners and politicians of all sorts would want to figure out how he came back to life because they'd all be after immortality, or at least resurrection after they died, too. If the guy who got killed doesn't know how, he'll be poked and prodded for the answers, most likely against his will, and if he does know how and why he was resurrected, then he may be hesitant to sell out the answers. Of course, the antagonist would also want to know why and how the hell the guy came back to life when he had just killed the b*****d.

That is, assuming, he just kinda came back to life one day, rather than somebody doing it for him. I think this scenario would be much more interesting than someone who loved him enough doing something difficult to resurrect him.

And no, I don't immediately draw connections between religion and resurrection because in my religious texts, when people die, they tend to stay dead. razz
i would never start by killing the hero. I have started my currant story with the main character as an adult saying about her childhood, and how these kids she hung out with all wound up dead. It's kind of like, you know that they're going to die, so as you start to like them, you get sad knowing something bad is going to happen to them. But starting off with the mc's death kind of seams like "ok, dead person, emotional menipulation, i give a crap wgy? it's almost as bad as starting with a child abuse scene.

Gracious Citizen

x_haphazard_x
Actually, a story where the main character dies by the hands of an antagonist and comes back to life could be quite interesting.

You know, the guy gets killed, people know he's dead, they accept he's dead... and maybe a month later, he comes in back through the door, alive and well. After panic and shock and et cetera blow over, well, news would spread fast -- doctors would probably be eager to examine him, along with necromancers and anyone who would want to see if he was just some magical anomaly or undead or anything that they hadn't seen before. After that, if this got out to the general public, people who think they're valuable, like large company owners and politicians of all sorts would want to figure out how he came back to life because they'd all be after immortality, or at least resurrection after they died, too. If the guy who got killed doesn't know how, he'll be poked and prodded for the answers, most likely against his will, and if he does know how and why he was resurrected, then he may be hesitant to sell out the answers. Of course, the antagonist would also want to know why and how the hell the guy came back to life when he had just killed the b*****d.

That is, assuming, he just kinda came back to life one day, rather than somebody doing it for him. I think this scenario would be much more interesting than someone who loved him enough doing something difficult to resurrect him.

And no, I don't immediately draw connections between religion and resurrection because in my religious texts, when people die, they tend to stay dead. razz

Wow! That's an angle I'd never even considered! Very interesting. I suppose it would be quite the scientific headline news story, wouldn't it? I like it!
I think it's a rather interesting way to go about it. I mean, how often do you read about the main protagnoist dying and then popping back to life? Of course, it's going to depend on how well she writes it.

But I understand where Beauty_of_words is coming from. It kind of takes the... glamour? Or maybe excitement out of the story. I mean, you read thinking, "He'll die later if he does at all." To have your MC die right off the bat may confuse readers and/or piss them off. It's like, "Hey, I just got pwned by a book!" It may turn them off.

HOwever, since this is a fairly original idea, I personally think you should stick with it! I am most interested in the how's and why's. Like, is it an omnipotent entity or what?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff