Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix?

Worst of the series. >.< 0.2012987012987 20.1% [ 31 ]
This better not be what the thread is about! 0.5 50.0% [ 77 ]
Other 0.2987012987013 29.9% [ 46 ]
Total Votes:[ 154 ]
1 2 3 >

Anyone who lurks around the writer’s forum for extended lengths of time knows that the regulars in this forum tend to have a serious problem with angst, and that’s been beginning to get under my skin. It could be that I’m just misunderstanding their posts. Actually, that’s probably what it is. But the fact of the matter is, I’m getting very tired of the attitude about angst which seems to be generally upheld; that is, I’m sick and tired of everyone complaining about the angsting in stories, when sometimes, angst is a very necessary emotion that is needed to portray a character properly. Sometimes, people are just whiney by nature.

Beyond that, though, angst can be a very powerful tool in terms of character growth. The best example of this that I can think of is Harry’s general outlook and attitude in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Harry does nothing but angst in the whole of the novel, I would argue—except, maybe, more towards the end. His parents are dead, he can’t ever see Sirius, he saw Cedric die, he’s failing his classes, Umbridge is out to get him, whine, whine, whine. It’s annoying, and I would argue in many cases made the reader want to kill Harry (everyone I’ve spoken with about the issue hated Harry in book 5), but at the end of the story, and especially in Half Blood Prince, it’s easy to see why the angsting took place. Harry grew significantly as a character in the course of those many, many pages—he somehow changed from a whiney prat into someone who had grown up, realized his lot in life, and graciously accepted it, because there was nothing else to do. By the end of the book, Harry was extremely different, and he needed to be different to face the hardships that faced him in Half Blood Prince. His angsting and general whininess allowed us to see how that transformation took place, and actually made it easier to identify with Harry, even in our extreme hatred of him.

I’m not saying that angst is necessary for all character growth, but for that particular age-group, or at least that particular mind-set, it is necessary, because that’s a very angsty time for anyone to be alive. That doesn’t mean that they’ll all react to it in the same way—some characters will be whiney, some will be grumpy all the time, some will cut their wrists (although I would argue that that goes a little deeper than general angst), and some will write emo poems and expect their friends to worship them for it. In the end, it doesn’t really matter—it’s their way of dealing with angst, and there’s no right or wrong way, even if it is really annoying to read while it’s actually happening.

See, the way I see it, the purpose of angst is to show the reader how far the character has come. It’s such a useful tool for character growth, that it always irks me when I see people condemning it in this forum. I know that, for a good many of the writers out there, they don’t mean condemning angst in all its forms—but there are people who misconstrue words, and suddenly start thinking that any form of angst is a bad thing. Angst in and of itself is not a bad thing! (If you’re experiencing it, it sucks, and it’s annoying to read, but that doesn’t make it necessarily bad.) The problem arises when angst is used as a substitute for characterization. Now, obviously, this is just going to make a flat character that no one will relate to or like, because every person experiencing angst is more than just a big ball of angst. Harry Potter didn’t stop being Harry Potter during those eight-hundred some pages of angsting and whining. He just became Harry Potter, plus angst—and that’s what really allowed him to grow. See, unless you have a character set up that is solid enough to get your readers through the stage where all they want to do is throw your book out a WINDOW, if that will get your stupid character to shut the hell up, then you’re doing something wrong.

Also, if you’re writing pages and pages of angst, and you get to the end of your story, and your character is still an angsty, whiney, annoying little idiot, rethink your character, because you’ve done something wrong. Angst, like I said, is a very useful tool for showing character growth. If your character doesn’t grow, you’ve already got a problem. If your character doesn’t grow and he’s been angsting throughout your entire novel, you’ve got an even bigger problem.

So, yeah. Angst can be very helpful to characterization, in the end. I mean, yeah, it can also do horrible things to a story if not properly handled, but that doesn’t mean that people should ignore its usefulness completely. Even people who can’t handle it well, I think, shouldn’t abandon the whole emotion—because one day, with practice and effort and some help from friendly critics, they just might get better, and their characters could be much richer because of it.

Muusu's Honey Bun

Fashionable Bunny

26,200 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
When people use angst as a vehicle of character growth because it's necessary and in character, and the angst is not the only thing that goes on in the story, that's fine. There's a lot of other times though, when angst gets mistaken not just for characterization, but plot, and times where angst is more an inhibition of character growth than character growth. It's one thing to angst about one's immediate past and current events, and another thing to angst about things that happened years before that the character never just got over. On thing to use angst as a vehicle for exploring a character's psyche and another thing to use angst as angst as the only thing that happens in a story.

This is just going after vague memories of the book, but Harry Potter in the OOTP was not spending his time angsting about the facts about his past established in the first book, and his angst in OOTP did not prevent anything from actually happening, which are really the two things I have against angst.

Bear of bears's Senpai

Dominant Strategist

21,650 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Who's The Boss Now? 300
{{GSNBC: Gaia 2 News!}}

I like angst in moderation. xp
As far as Harry's concerned however, the angstyness is not the only reason I hate him. heh heh
... Oooh no, I hate him for all sorts of reasons.
Oh I love the HP series... I've just never really been one for protagonists. xd

Antagonists are where it's at.
They make stuff happen. mrgreen

Protagonists would be more than happy to sit on their asses and do nothing... lousy boring lazy... *grumble*

{{GSNBC is currently hiring for the following staff positions:
News Editor || Business Editor || Lifestyles Editor || Sports Editor || Arts Editor || Staff Writers || Advertising Manager || Distribution Manager}}[Apply here]
Personally, I'm not one for drama and angst, despite the fact that it tends to happen a lot. sweatdrop Mainly because I guess I'm more of a fan of light-hearted stories - I like it more when something is laughable, rather than when it can bog you down. (That's really one reason I disliked Book 5 for the angst - the HP books were something I enjoyed, and I don't like angst because it brings out a side of people - even fictional ones - that I don't like to see)

However, I have to say that when angst isn't the only thing going for it in a story, I don't mind it as much..
I know it's important, but that really doesn't make it any less annoying -- think of a booster shot at the doctor's. It's needed, but that really doesn't make it feel any better. If anybody's ever watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, one could justify that all the angst was necessary and needed for character development, but it still doesn't make Shinji any less of a whiny little brat.

Now, the idea with angst, though, is that 1) so many writers can't handle it well, and 2) we get enough of it in real life that we don't want it in our fiction. I'd say that 99.999999% of the writers on Gaia would not be able to use angst as character development properly if they tried, and that percentage that could would still have a hard time because people don't read to hear people whine. I've heard it said that 'whining is a difficult thing to do gracefully,' and that is certainly true in this case.
Thank you, that makes me feel better. In the second story of my fanfic series my character is mostly locked up in her room writing in a journal her "big brother" made her write in to help her cope with a loss from the first story, two or three months beforehand, for pretty much the whole fic. I was worried about that from everyone saying how bad angst was. I didn't know how to get rid of it, since she was very close to the person I killed off, and who would deny her the right to be upset? I think during that time a lot more of her character is revealed, for in the first story she's just a hyper teenage girl that doesn't leave the object of her fangirlness alone. Ever. I figured something good came from it, and someone is at least defending angst, so I'm not going to stress over her little angst fit.

And I feel like I was one of the few people who didn't notice the angst in Harry Potter. I just read it and liked it. sweatdrop
Some angst is necessary for most teenaged characters, for that is what teenagers do.

But it should be used sparingly.
Anton Guerrier
Thank you, that makes me feel better. In the second story of my fanfic series my character is mostly locked up in her room writing in a journal her "big brother" made her write in to help her cope with a loss from the first story, two or three months beforehand, for pretty much the whole fic. I was worried about that from everyone saying how bad angst was. I didn't know how to get rid of it, since she was very close to the person I killed off, and who would deny her the right to be upset? I think during that time a lot more of her character is revealed, for in the first story she's just a hyper teenage girl that doesn't leave the object of her fangirlness alone. Ever. I figured something good came from it, and someone is at least defending angst, so I'm not going to stress over her little angst fit.

And I feel like I was one of the few people who didn't notice the angst in Harry Potter. I just read it and liked it. sweatdrop

Hey, now, I'm not saying that it's not ENTIRELY possible to turn your story into a horrible, swirling abyss of angst-filled horribleness. In fact, if you're not careful, it's likely--because angst is a hard thing to do well, as most of the writers have been saying. An entire storyfull of angst would drive anyone up the wall.
KiwiOfDestruction
Some angst is necessary for most teenaged characters, for that is what teenagers do.

Well, I think its certainly necessary for most modern day teenaged character, but I think characters in an earlier time period would be much less likely to angst, and more likely to take action and do something. Unless of course they're some sort of whiney princess.
cheese_whine
Anarchy Rabbit
KiwiOfDestruction

Well, I think its certainly necessary for most modern day teenaged character, but I think characters in an earlier time period would be much less likely to angst, and more likely to take action and do something. Unless of course they're some sort of whiney princess.
cheese_whine

I don't honestly see why the time period would make much of a difference. I mean, no matter how fast a character or person is forced to grow up, due to the circumstances of their time period, they're going to be going through a period in their lives when angst is all there really is. The only reason time period makes a difference is because now, people have time to dwell on it.

Sometimes, you can't take action--and that was as true back then as it is now.
Bananners
Anarchy Rabbit
KiwiOfDestruction

cheese_whine

I don't honestly see why the time period would make much of a difference. I mean, no matter how fast a character or person is forced to grow up, due to the circumstances of their time period, they're going to be going through a period in their lives when angst is all there really is. The only reason time period makes a difference is because now, people have time to dwell on it.

Well, I'd just think that you'd have less time to sit around in your room and cry about your dead dog because you'd have to go out and do things, and be forced to sort of pull it all together and move on. I just think you had to be a little stronger. Depending on how far back in time you go in your story, it'd be considered healthy to feel grief a little, but insane for you to keep sobbing on about it.
There's always going to be some angst, sure. But its going to be done differently, depending on the setting of the story.
Bananners
Anarchy Rabbit
KiwiOfDestruction

cheese_whine

Actually, it's less of a problem about the amount of angst and rather more about what's being angsted over. If you knew you were going to be in an arranged marriage for as long as you can remember, why would you angst about not being married to someone you loved? It's always upsetting when somebody dies, but if it was a baby back when babies didn't have a very high mortality rate at all, it's going to be less of a big deal than now. People didn't live to be as old back then, either, so it'll be less of a big deal when somebody who has a full life at fourty dies than if someone at fourty were to die today. Really, you've just got to take into account the culture.
I'm not saying that culture wouldn't play a big part, and I completely agree with both of you. I guess it's true, that a piece of historical fiction (or midevil fantasy with roots in history), even one about teenagers, would simply have less angst than your average, everyday story in which modern day teens do....whatever. However, just because people are more conditioned to deal with death doesn't mean that the death of someone important wouldn't cause them to angst for a little while. I mean, if you lose your mom, and you were old enough to really know her, why wouldn't they be angsty about it? Even back then, when people didn't live very long, I can't imagine that there weren't people wailing "Why me?!" whenever tragedy struck.

I think that you wouldn't see the angst in a story with teenage characters in the past, simply because, like Anarchy Rabbit said, they had to do things. If you were the oldest girl in the family and your mother died, you'd have to take over the housekeeping (assuming you were old enough to handle it), because it needed to be done. There'd be people to help you, but you wouldn't be allowed to sit and mope. I see that. However, in a first person story, at least, I think the angst would show through.
I love angst, when it's actually heart wrenching and stomach dropping angst.
Not eye rolling 'jesus christ get over yourself' stuff.

So I agree. Angst is so nice when it's written well.

Codger

And in the end, when all but terror has fled, we will make our stand.

Or, to put it in a somewhat different light, angst is merely one facet of characterization. Characterization as a whole is something most writers have problems with, especially writers here on gaia, because it's very difficult to realistically interrelate and integrate disparate personality traits into a unified whole. There are plenty of very good stories where the characters angst very little, if they do at all, and they're no less believable for it.

The problems, as have been pointed out, are

1.) when the angst becomes the main characteristic of a character, or is substituted for development (breadth instead of depth, like a puddle in a parking lot)

and

2.) whether or not there's reason for it.

It takes effort to handle the first problem in a believable manner, and, I daresay, requires both a knowledge of ones self and others, as well as a degree of empathy. The second problem is mainly an issue with handling perspective, which is a mix of plotting and characterization, and not necessarily a 50/50 split.

In my current cyberpunk project (a series of short stories), for example, the main character loses the one person who means the world to him, and he feels seriously incomplete and lost without her. This is a major cause of angst for him, but the important thing to the overall story is he doesn't stop doing things and he works to overcome it. Both of those elements are often lacking or incomplete in most stories where characters angst heavily, and that's where much of the problem lies. When the angst becomes the focus of the story, it becomes a problem and kills the story, but even experienced writers have problems telling when they've crossed that line, or even where that line is, as I discovered myself with my latest installment in my cyberpunk series.

As for the issue of age: Angst does not recognize age limits. Anyone can experience angst, given the proper circumstances to drive them toward questioning their identity (who they are, who they want to be, their place in the world and their relationships, and/or their views/beliefs/opinions). The harder the push is against the character's identity, the more likely they are to angst and the deeper that angst is likely to be. This is a common human trait. A personality with very little development is not going to angst very deeply in the sense of being complex (as with young children), but the lessons learned from that angst are likely to have much a broader, long term impact on shaping that individual's personality compared to the deep angst of a substantial personality (someone who's sixty, for example), simply because that angst is, by comparison, going to reach deeper. To go with my puddle metaphor again, it would be like tossing a large stone into the middle of a large puddle in a parking lot compared to tossing a large stone into a lake. Tossing the stone into the puddle is going to have a huge ripple affect on the entire puddle, whereas throwing the stone into the lake is going to have a noticeable affect only on the most immediate area, even if the depth that stone reaches is considerably larger.

And though we may fall, our names will forever remain writ upon the cosmos.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff