Welcome to Gaia! ::

Muusu's Honey Bun

Fashionable Bunny

26,200 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
It seems a common problem, writer's inertia, though I'm not sure if anyone's called it that yet. The idea waits their in your head, a glorious, nearly germinated seed of potential. It's going to be epic, marvelous, the great Gaian novel. Or it's going to be a poem sure to launch you into the position of Gaia's poet laureate. Yet, somehow this wonderful idea remains dormant. How then, do you get the idea from the head to the outside world?

Run with it.

First, accept your idea as just that, an idea. Don't question whether it is good or bad, either way it's captured you as an author far enough to want to write it. Don't come here or to another writing forum and ask if your idea is worth writing. Just believe that you have an idea. Besides, most complex ideas sound trite when pinned to three sentences or less in prose form. Questioning can come later, when something resembling a story already exists.

Second, create conditions that will let you write. It might be a myth that authors need certain environments to create, but if that helps you begin writing, do it. If music inspires you, put it on. If IMs or the Internet distract you, close everything but your word processor or use a notebook. If there's a certain time of day or night where the words come more easily, put aside time to write then.

Third, start with what you see most clearly. It might be a line of dialog, or description of the setting or characters, or even a simple action. It won't be the best sentence in the world, unless you've got a lucky ear for words, but it will be true. Put down what you can see clearly, and other details will follow.

Don't worry if you're not starting at the exact beginning, if what you're envisioning is the great climax. Don't worry if your vignette has no plot, or your character's in your action sequence don't have names or faces yet. You are the author, and you are free.

Fourth, turn off your editing ear. No, what you put down will not be the best thing in the world. It doesn't matter, because everything will be up for change. If the words do not resemble what you are envisioning, do not worry about it. Just write until you reach a logical conclusion, or until the words run out. Close the document and do something else, go to bed, go out for ice cream, whatever, just get your mind away from what you've written.

When you're refreshed, then open your work and start to question it. Spellcheck. Find awkward phrasing. Figure out where what you have will lead. Post it on Gaia, or somewhere else, and ask for criticism. If there are still holes in your idea, or pitfalls, don't be afraid to ask questions. Pick it apart, because at least now you have something to pick apart and continue from. And people's suggestions will either make sense or not based on a solid piece of work, not on some ever-changing ephemera in your head.

Finally, don't be afraid to let your ideas and writing change. No matter what, you are not locked into anything.

Outlining vs. Not Outlining

Honestly? It's your choice.

Some people need road maps, to remind them where the story will go next. If you're the type of author who likes seeing the general action unfold in a fairly logical sequence before fleshing it out, then outline. And if not having the map there blocks up your writing machine when it comes time to write, then definitely outline.

Some people need to run out blind. They don't necessarily need to know that point A will lead to point Z along highway B. They just write according to some plan in their head. If outlines bore you and prevent you from writing, then for goodness sakes, just toss aside the outline and start where you need to start.

Writer's Block

So, what if it's the other way around. You're jumping to write, but the ideas don't come? What then? Well, there is, of course, lovely writing prompts, and if those don't inspire you, just find something interesting and think about it. Question it. Listen to music. Watch a movie. Talk with friends. Draw pictures. Go somewhere strange. If things get desperate, force something out in a free write, even if it doesn't have anything to do with anything.

Beyond the Online World

Although it might sound so from the rant, Gaia is not really the end of the writing world. Nor is Fictionpress. Nor is Live Journal or any online community. I believe that for someone who writes for fun, the internet provides a good place to get started and exposed, but for people who want something more?

One place to start are creative writing courses. Realize going into this that you won't be writing exactly what you want to write, especially at the high-school level. However, you will learn more about different structures, forms and techniques for writing, and these will give you a clearer idea of what you want to do and what you don't want to do.

Better yet, workshop-style creative writing classes will give you an opportunity to get your work critiqued by both peers and the teacher, and to see what other people around your level of development are doing.

Aldorel also brought the site Merlyn's Pen up. I don't have any experience with them, but if you are a junior high/high school student, it might be something to look into.

Any feedback on this rant, questions, comments, criticisms, suggestions are welcome.

Codger

And in the end, when all but terror has fled, we will make our stand.

I heart U blaugh

It's good that someone's finally actually written this out so we have something to point people to. Right now, I have nothing to add, since I've had a long day on little sleep.

My only niggle would be to question the assumption that gaia is the end-all-be-all of the literary world, or that most of the people on here have any idea of how to edit a work, let alone give any sort of feedback that's constructive. The online world has a vastly larger pool of incompetent writers than elsewhere, because it doesn't (generally) cost anything to post something and assault all that is good about writing. Add to the fact that incompetent writing is reinforced by senseless, undeserved praise when it's posted online and you end up with "writters" who think they can write well.

And though we may fall, our names will forever remain writ upon the cosmos.

Zack Mcdol's Widow

Dedicated Dabbler

17,050 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
This was quite a confidence booster.

Though I have to sympathize with the people who post their summaries up on this forum. When someone needs their ego petted and cuddled, the feedback can be harsh, though oftentimes true.

Muusu's Honey Bun

Fashionable Bunny

26,200 Points
  • Master Converter 500
Added some ideas for offline resources, I don't know anything about literary magazines or getting published. If anyone has any experience with these i'd be happy to put them in.

4,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • First step to fame 200
Nice rant! I'm particularly fond of the "turn off your editing ear" point. You make me want ot turn of the internet and get to writing.

Outside of online - try Merlyns Pen. It's a non-profit publisher geared towards young authors.

(Ok, so it's technically still online. But it extends into the outside world, and goes beyond a bunch of amateur writers in a forum.)

Muusu's Honey Bun

Fashionable Bunny

26,200 Points
  • Master Converter 500
Thanks, I added the link. ^.^
Good, productive rant.

Only I have an issue with the last part--

You say online sites for writing are only "okay for people writing for fun", and that basically anyone serious about writing is taking courses or joining programs for writing.

I just felt it was a bit... I don't know. >.> I'm serious about my writing; does that necessarily mean that courses and programs are availible to me? Hell ******** no. surprised My school sucks, and I haven't seen any programs availible at my local library. So all I have is the online world. Does that not make me a serious writer? It just came off as that, to me.

I'm not saying that you necessarily believe that, but it came off as such in that last portion.

Otherwise I fully appreciate this guide and what it provides for the WF. 3nodding A nice job.

Muusu's Honey Bun

Fashionable Bunny

26,200 Points
  • Master Converter 500
Quote:

You say online sites for writing are only "okay for people writing for fun", and that basically anyone serious about writing is taking courses or joining programs for writing.

I just felt it was a bit... I don't know. >.> I'm serious about my writing; does that necessarily mean that courses and programs are availible to me? Hell ******** no. icon_surprised.gif My school sucks, and I haven't seen any programs availible at my local library. So all I have is the online world. Does that not make me a serious writer? It just came off as that, to me.

I should clarify before you send the attack dogs out on me. eek

If someone wants to take writing beyond a hobby and onto a professional level, or who wants to improve to a professional level, and has the opportunity to do so, then taking courses either through high-school, the local community college, or the library, or heck maybe even your park district will be beneficial.

Lacking all that, a solid online community of fellow writers might give you comparable benefits, but there really isn't a substitute to creative writing workshops where people will actually have copies of your story to write all over, including (I hope) someone who knows techniques better than you will. And places like Gaia or Fictionpress, where feedback is limited and not necessarily geared towards constructive criticism definitely won't do as much as other resources.

It's not the only way to be a serious writer, after all the definition of 'serious' lies within the intentions and dedication of the writer, not his or her credentials or experience.
Random point. Their mileage may vary of cours

Your characters know what they're doing
When I first started writing, I was crap. You know why? Because I kept getting my characters back on the track I'd planned and I stuck too rigidly. I gave up for a while but then I just thought one day 'Let's try again' so I did. BUT this time, I let the characters write. I had to get into the 'Well, it is THEIR story' mindset. And you know what? While I can't say that either way produces a universally decent story, at least I don't embarrass myself with the second option.
This is some very good advice.
And here's a little of my own:
1. Don't worry if not everyone likes everything you write. You don't have to listen to them. Just remember that is ALWAYS someone out there who wants to read your work.
2. It's your work so don't be a afraid to put things in there such as profanity. Profanity is like a characteristic in itself so taking it away from a character that it helps to describe isn't going to help your character.
3. Most importantly: Love your work!!!! Never disc or say anything negative about what you write. If you think that something isn't your greatest piece just revise it. Don't say that it sucks.

5,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
Firlodge
Random point. Their mileage may vary of cours

Your characters know what they're doing
When I first started writing, I was crap. You know why? Because I kept getting my characters back on the track I'd planned and I stuck too rigidly. I gave up for a while but then I just thought one day 'Let's try again' so I did. BUT this time, I let the characters write. I had to get into the 'Well, it is THEIR story' mindset. And you know what? While I can't say that either way produces a universally decent story, at least I don't embarrass myself with the second option.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've pondered that quite a bit. Sometimes I get stuck though. Like if I write something that just doesn't sound like the character. In my head his personality's clear cut, but it doesn't always get expressed that way. Nonetheless, there are some things in my writing that I recognize will have to happen. I can imagine all sorts of scenarios but some stick whether I like them or not. But they stick in a good way so there's no sense having a hairy fit over them xD

WOw, a good thread got resurrected.

I think this means the link list is working!

5,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
Freudian Strip
WOw, a good thread got resurrected.

I think this means the link list is working!

Resurrected? That happens? 0__0

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash