Welcome to Gaia! ::

Does America have a growing identity in literature?

Yes, and it is going strong. 0.22857142857143 22.9% [ 8 ]
Yes, but it is very gradually growing. 0.11428571428571 11.4% [ 4 ]
I have no clue. 0.2 20.0% [ 7 ]
Not at all. 0.085714285714286 8.6% [ 3 ]
What in the world are you talking about? 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Just here for the gold. 0.17142857142857 17.1% [ 6 ]
I'm intrigued. 0.2 20.0% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 35 ]
1 2 >

America—a relatively young country that is now populated by people of all different nations. At one point, it was inhabited mainly by Native Americans. Puritans showed up. Explorers came. The French got a bit of territory, and the Spanish found land in the south and the west. The British certainly got quite a few colonies that later rebelled against them. None the less, as the country progressed, people from all across the world came to settle the country, and even today it is called a “Melting Pot.”

Now, in the countries from where many of the immigrants came from—Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, France, China, Japan, any probably almost every single country in the world—had an identity deeply rooted in culture. They had folktales, dances, songs, and a nationalistic union. However, America lacks much of that sense, for it did not carry on the folktales of the people who live there originally—the Native Americans. Nor is their as much cultural residue overall from the immigrants, accept in their own communities. America as a whole, however, is very varied. In the 19th century, Dvorak wrote two wonderful piece of music while in America- the American quartet and the New World Symphony. While he did not incorporate any direct Native American themes or African-American songs, he tried to use their general ideas. Part of this reasoning, he said, was that he wanted to show how America had the possibility of developing a national movement. While that was not a literary reference per se, it has to do with my topic.

So, now to the main topic of this thread: has America managed to get a national movement in ideas, mainly in the literary world of course. What is the modern American myth? In the early twentieth century, F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote The Great Gatsby, and in a way, it was a myth of America. So, what is American folklore—Washington Irving had some, such as Sleepy Hollow—but has it been gaining ground as any sort of literary identity.

The reason I am asking this is because I have read posts of people making broad generalizations of American literature. Are there commonalities across American literature. This even comes down to the core values of characters, and their customs.

So, please discuss anything pertinent to this post. What do you think?
Strange, I was under the impression that American Literature has a very marked identity. I wouldn't know what it is, it's just that I know American Literature courses are offered at many major universities across the world, mostly dealing with the American Dream, some selections of African slave trade literature (Harriet Beecher Stowe comes to mind), suffrage (very different from suffrage in the UK and abroad), the Great Depression (Steinbeck & Co.) and so on. A lot of very American literature deals with the American government's policy of assimilating ethnicities, which you won't find in Canadian or British literature as much.

This identity is quite new compared with British literature, which spans back to the 16th century or so, but American literature does cover awide body of text for about...150 years? Give or take a bit. It's not young. There's no exact 'American-ness', or 'British-ness', or 'Australian-ness', but there are a lot of common themes, which may not be common now, but still affect what's being written because writing doesn't exist in a vacuum.

And, I mean, there's 'Canadian literature' for heaven's sake! At least 75 years' less of written works, and we're still insisting that we have an identity that's closely related to wide spaces filled with nothing.
I think Am Lit has its own identity (and not just because it's a seperate class in school). surprised

America has a lot that people can write about that even the European powers don't have. exclaim A lot of Am Lit deals with things like the Democratic Experiment, or with the implications of capitalism (I think the Great Gatsby covers that). Plus even if America has a short history, it's got some interesting features (the Civil War and Civil Rights Movement, the Great Depression) that make interesting fodder for novels. So, yeah, It hink it's pretty easy to find an identity for Am Lit. blaugh

This is a good topic, though!

heart
I took a class last year that really changed my opinions on the American identity. It discussed the American culture from the very beginning into modern-day.

Yes, we do have a distinct American culture. It's one that isn't quite so apparent when you're looking at things that you're actually living through, but when you look back.. yeah.

Of course, there's the concept of the American dream. That's been around for ages, and part of the American dream has roots in the Pilgrims, the settlers, everyone. The American Dream is more than just rags-to-riches-- it's the ability to reinvent yourself like Bob Dylan, like anyone who left home for a new chance. You can move and become somebody new. You don't have to always be the same person.

In accordance with this, we've always had a fascination with the individual, and, especially, the outsider. This has its roots in the very nature of the first Americans- outsiders who came here searching for their city on a hill. But, looking through all of our literature, you find the common theme of the outsider-- Hester Prynne, Gatsby (he is an outsider, for all his pretentions), McMurphy, Yossarian. People who have a different look on things, and especially (perhaps minus Gatsby, who seems powerless) people who are detached enough to say "This is not right." Similarly, whether you like activist judges or not, you can't deny that most American movements have been grounded in a few outstanding figures, and most take roots in subcultures or races that have either been excluded (african-americans) or purposefully developed a different mindset (hippies).

Then, looking back, we've always been very pragmatic. Look at the inventions that were definitely American inventions-- just about all of them have been for purpose. I can't remember the exact examples my teachers used, but there was definitely some discussion of Ben Franklin. Our literature also reflects this-- we were big on that whole 'self-improvement' thing even back in the Colonial era.

We did follow the Romantic/Rational trends, but Transcendentalism is an American philosophy. The idea that you can achieve spiritual accomplishment through trusting in your own judgement and intuition, even through rational thought about philosophy, is an extention of the American focus on the individual-- and pragmatism, too.

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Almost all of America's great eras is matched by great literature. The Scarlet Letter and The Crucible during the colonial, puritain era, the intellectual writing of our Founding fathers, Mark Twain with Manifest Destiny and the great Western Rush, Of Mice an Men, Emerson and Robert Frost... The tall tales of Paul Bunyan and the wild west...

Individualsm, expansion, exploration, racial/class conflicts, we have a lot, and it's distinct. We have enough of a pool to draw from that you can find many families and eras of literature within our history.

Although, I'm afraid I'm guilty of being romantically attached to dead writers, and don't know much about our modern literary environment.

If you're really interested, the government has this resource.

http://usinfo.state.gov/products/pubs/oal/oaltoc.htm
I believe that when talking about America it is very hard to point out a specific culture, as there is none. Generally, though, America does have its own culture. After all, where potato chips, and corn and even things such as a Philly cheese stake not originated here? Football for instance, is strictly American. It is even referred to in other countries as 'american football.' Literacy, on the other hand seems a bit vague to me. It seems that American English is the language that has most fallen prey to slang. We accept it into our language and literacy easier then any other language. I myself am an immigrant, but I have spent most of my life in Philadelphia. Much of that time I spent reading. It seems to me that, although English is not originally our language, but another country's, we seem to have made it into a language of its own. American.
Lea Fealith
Almost all of America's great eras is matched by great literature. The Scarlet Letter and The Crucible during the colonial, puritain era, the intellectual writing of our Founding fathers, Mark Twain with Manifest Destiny and the great Western Rush, Of Mice an Men, Emerson and Robert Frost... The tall tales of Paul Bunyan and the wild west..

The Crucible was actually an allegory for McCarthy's communist "witchhunts". It was published in 1952. wink Take care you don't get period pieces confused with historical fiction pieces. Similarly, The Scarlet Letter was about the collide between Rationalism and Romanticism, published in 1850. I can understand if your intention is to dicuss how American literature portrays American history, but you match your other authors with their time tables pretty well, so... yeah.

Consider, instead, for the colonial era: "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God"; the writings on the mayflower with the "city upon a hill", etc.

EDIT: .wolfen.ways: we're discussing literature here, not language. If you seriously doubt that there is a specific American literature, compare AmLit and BritLit from the same period of time.

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Veive
Lea Fealith
Almost all of America's great eras is matched by great literature. The Scarlet Letter and The Crucible during the colonial, puritain era, the intellectual writing of our Founding fathers, Mark Twain with Manifest Destiny and the great Western Rush, Of Mice an Men, Emerson and Robert Frost... The tall tales of Paul Bunyan and the wild west..

The Crucible was actually an allegory for McCarthy's communist "witchhunts". It was published in 1952. wink Take care you don't get period pieces confused with historical fiction pieces. Similarly, The Scarlet Letter was about the collide between Rationalism and Romanticism, published in 1850. I can understand if your intention is to dicuss how American literature portrays American history, but you match your other authors with their time tables pretty well, so... yeah.

Consider, instead, for the colonial era: "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God"; the writings on the mayflower with the "city upon a hill", etc.

I knew that and was too lazy to elaborate. My bad. sweatdrop "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" is some pretty awesome stuff. We read it when I was in highschool and I had no clue what the hell was up with it.

But now I enjoy it for some reason. It reminds me a bit of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ1Vpgus13c&mode=related&search=

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Another thing to consider when we ask the question if literary "myth" has been gaining ground in this country to form a literary, and as an extention I assume, cultural identity is that literature is no longer the world's primary media.

Because America is so young, it has had much less time to develop itself before radio, television, and finally the internet swept in and connected the world to a degree that was impossible to comprehend a mere fifty years ago. It has become exposed to the rest of the world's culture with a much shorter self incubation period, and that in itself I think has strongly influenced our pop culture identity.
Lea Fealith
Almost all of America's great eras is matched by great literature. The Scarlet Letter and The Crucible during the colonial, puritain era, the intellectual writing of our Founding fathers, Mark Twain with Manifest Destiny and the great Western Rush, Of Mice an Men, Emerson and Robert Frost... The tall tales of Paul Bunyan and the wild west...

Individualsm, expansion, exploration, racial/class conflicts, we have a lot, and it's distinct. We have enough of a pool to draw from that you can find many families and eras of literature within our history.

Although, I'm afraid I'm guilty of being romantically attached to dead writers, and don't know much about our modern literary environment.

If you're really interested, the government has this resource.

http://usinfo.state.gov/products/pubs/oal/oaltoc.htm

Thanks for the link.

And then I was just thinking about the whole idea of pioneering the west, and the unique Romanticism that has been shaped there. For instance, if you read The Lilies of the Field by William E. Barrett, the book begins by talking about a modern "legend".

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
Their Eyes Were Watching God is one of the best American lit books I was ever required to read. (Seriously, everyone in my English class couldn't wait to finish reading the book once they started. How often does that happen in highschool?)

So, yes, there is a definite American Lit, is my two small cents. It's got distinctly different concerns than those of Europe.
Ace of Shadows
Their Eyes Were Watching God is one of the best American lit books I was ever required to read. (Seriously, everyone in my English class couldn't wait to finish reading the book once they started. How often does that happen in highschool?)

So, yes, there is a definite American Lit, is my two small cents. It's got distinctly different concerns than those of Europe.

That brings up another thing-- we constantly compare to Eurpean literature, though I suppose it has to do with western literature.
It's likely that any identity we manage to scrape and build (and yes, we, so this is the opinion of an inside man, not separated from the culture, so maybe biased) is heavily and always influenced by that supremely-important ideal of Americanism... the individual. We have such a heavy emphasis on this archetype as a hero (in the Campbell sense) that most of our protagonists follow the lead of rebellion, and outsider sense. We are, in a sense, required to take the contrary view, to rebel and expound our own moral selves. At the same time, that Holiest of American goals is constantly in struggle with a human desire to seek serenity, the status quo, or whatever consensual image is predominant.

But in the end, I wonder: should there be an identity for American lit/art? Isn't that contrary to the individualistic aims of the culture? More choices/democracy/self-sufficient ethos... that seems more likely to be acceptable to us on the whole, and I think we'll always strive to keep ourselves to complacently conformed to too few ideals.

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
LotusflowerDoom
Ace of Shadows

That brings up another thing-- we constantly compare to Eurpean literature, though I suppose it has to do with western literature.

Of course we do. There's those that compare it Asian lit, and African lit, and so on and so forth. It's called studying cultural values. Or something like that. We're a species that loves to contrast and compare whatever we can, and literature lends itself to that very well.

Nevyn: As much as we idolize the individual, it's hard not to have an identity as a country. We project it onto ourselves, and we're not doing it everyone else is. We do it to other countries, too. It's not contradicting ourselves at all. (Seriously, literature is where we usually find those who fight the status quo rather than uphold it.)

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Not in my college's Lit. Theory class. But there is (insert ethnicity here) lit and American Women's lit.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff