Welcome to Gaia! ::

Only two flavors

As many books as there are that are made to help with writing, there so far is no definitive one that explains exactly what to do. Are elves good? Are vampires bad? If the books address these things, the answers conflict each other.

But writing isn’t math. Just because X equals 2 and 3 does not mean only one is right. X can be 2 or 3 or 4 or infinity. That’s the wonderful thing about writing.

To assume all answers in life are limited to two options, often Yes or No, is a false dilemma. Most questions in life are not like this. In fact, most are consequential questions, which means that depending on the circumstances, Yes is a good answer and sometimes No is. But this means that in taking all circumstances into consideration, both Yes and No are good answers, but at different times.

Also, decisions about literature take on a more personal aspect.

I dare anyone here to find a book that EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE WORLD likes.

Can’t be done, can it?

So that means that some people say Yes and some people say No. So therefore, it’s still both Yes and No at the same time.

A concrete division of Black and White does not work in the writing world.
Cake vs. Pastry

Now, this isn’t to say that labels aren’t helpful. All the animals in the world are labeled. Genders are labeled. Pastries are labeled. But labels don’t assume all things under that label are the same. Not all birds are the same. Just because a hummingbird can fly backwards does not mean an ostrich can. Keep narrowing birds down and you still won’t have two of the same category be exactly the same as the other.

When you apply labels to writing, this means that not all are the same. Take sci-fi. Are all sci-fis the same? If so, then there’s little difference between Ender’s Game and Star Trek. But last that was checked, there was a difference.

Labels are wonderful things, but saying that all of one label is bad is wrong. None are exactly alike, so to say they are all bad means that you have examined every single one available. Only once you’ve read all sci-fis, can you make and argument that all sci-fis are bad.
Well, then I’ll have the chicken please

The fact is, whether or not you wish to face it, is that every category has an exception. Some birds don’t fly, some mammals lay eggs, some bread isn’t made to rise, some gays aren’t women with penises, some might as well be, and some elves aren’t written the way your D&D book says.

This has been done since people started telling stories. In some versions of Red Riding Hood, the wolf is eaten. In some versions, Cinderella is helped by a dead fish. In some versions, vampires aren’t predators.

Exceptions exist and they have been for a long time. So why not now? Especially when ‘now’ is supposed to be a world where each person can have their say?
What’s wrong with cake?

Nothing is inherently wrong with the decision of cake, or elves in a forest that are mystical, or vampires that are mindless predators and dress in black.

What is wrong is reducing the choice to only that which is the same as yours and threatening or belittling those who think otherwise. The WF may have rules, but they aren’t on how you should write. It is an open society where all members have an opinion of their own. Until a totalitarian dictator comes along and imposes a certain way of thinking, and until that totalitarian is you, there is no valid argument as to what choice another writer has.

But this works both ways. If they have elves that are blue, and you have elves that are red, neither has the right to force the other to change their color decisions. Nor does either have to agree or like the decision. In fact, discussion is what an open society is made for.
Cake vs. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

Fact is, there are exceptions. Fact is, Helium is the first element. Fact is, there are facts.

Facts can be great, but a fact in this universe has nothing on a fact in another. According to physics, Superman shouldn’t be able to fly. But he does. According to physics, phasers don’t make sense. But they’re in Star Trek.

Tomatoes don’t move on their own. Nor do they have teeth. Tomatoes are not known for ingesting people in any way. But what impact does this have on the movie and cartoon series? None.

In a world where facts defy ours, anything is possible, but only if those fact-defying facts are there.
Agree, agree. My vampires rarely fit the Stroker form, except those grunts I kill off reasonably quick.... Oh yes.. agreeing. The more you can make something your own, the better it is for the story, if you need to. My character, Del'rathos, is a vamparic(vamperic? however you spell it) demon. Ever see one of those? Uniqueness is a good thing in this day and age. And if anyone goes, "Oh, Tilver (because they don't know my name... hahahaha) Demons can't be vampire you fool!" I laugh and go, "In my world, they can." Victory for going against the grain!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff