Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yes, this is long. I'm sorry, but it's something that I wanted off my chest, and I thought it might be interesting discussion.

A Preliminary Question:

So! I was working on a longer-ish (novella length: 25,000 words) story recently, and I got to thinking about how I write. Not 'how I write' in the sense of word choice, or even in the sense of which ways of structuring a story seem to appeal to me as a writer. I started to wonder how I choose the stories that I want to tell.

Perhaps this is a quirk unique to me as a writer (some of you will recall that I tend to write not plot-driven or character-driven stories, but to choose a theme and then write characters and plot that help me talk about that theme), but I still think it’s an interesting question. How do you, as a writer, pick the stories that you write? What does a story need to have to make you want to write it?

I’ll tell you my answer, because that answer (combined with several classes on classicism and postmodern theory) led to the real meat of what I want to talk about here. I realized that the stories that I write lately are all, to some extent, my attempts to figure out a meta-idea (more on what I mean by this later).

Some thoughts on what I'll call my One True Story

I’ve written about a man who blew up a planet; about a rock star mourning the man who was his muse and his lover; about the way that a sister can linger like a ghost in memory, even years after death. I’ve written about what office drama means for a guy who kills zombies for a living. I’ve written about a planet who flirts cutely with a comet. This is stuff I’ve got up on Gaia (it’s in my journal if you want to read, but there’s no need to read anything to understand what I’m getting at). There are other stories sitting in my WIP folders, or that I’ve written for classes and not posted here. The length of the material varies from 1000 words to 65,000 words (yeah, the 65,000 one isn’t on Gaia).

What I realized, looking at all of these, and thinking about the stories I’m writing presently, is that to some degree or another, I’m trying to tell the same story. I use different characters, different worlds, different philosophies about life and love and happiness for each one, but in a not-unimportant way, I keep trying to tell a story about what it really means to love someone unconditionally.

I’ve explored it a thousand different ways, many of them so different that I’m willing to bet that readers wouldn’t notice that the stories were in anyway connected, but in my own brain, often unconsciously as I was writing, the same impulse drove a lot of my output. In some way, there is a One True Story that I feel compelled to write, and a lot of my creative output has to do with different tangents to the same sphere.

I don’t think that all of this means that I’m uncreative, just that there’s a meta-idea I can’t get out of my brain, and my output is a primary way of approaching the secondary or tertiary level idea that I think about. To borrow a metaphor from music: it’s the tonal structure on which my little compositions are crafted. Instead of pentatonal scale, I write in octatonal. It’s a choice that my listeners won’t notice at all, and it won’t affect the message of the piece or whether I choose to write fugues or symphonies, but it nonetheless is the very foundations of whatever I’m composing. Thinking about the One True Story, for me, is like realizing that your musical staff has eight notes, and wondering why this is so.

In which perhaps I have been writing too many lit analysis papers lately...
(Skip this if you don't like academic stuff)

Now, I would ordinarily think that this is kind of interesting and move on, but my classes on Postmodernism all of a sudden were hitting close to home. You see, one of the tenets of postmodernism is that there is no One True Story, no unitary subject or master-narrative. In fact, Pomo is all about the plurality of discursive practices, the multiply overlapping cross-cultural identities.

“So what?” you say. “You’re just not a postmodern writer. You’re a Romantic, get over yourself.” Possibly true. But specifically postmodern themes have informed a whole lot of my writing. That story about the dude blowing up the planet? Is all about the sense of displacement, the effects of colonialism on the colonized, the sense of absurd in the everyday: themes straight out of Finnegan’s Wake, except with more grammar and less stream-of-unconsciousness.

Thinking further on this matter, I realized that some of the stuff I don’t have on Gaia, a lot of the experimental work that I’ve done, follows this same pattern. I’ve written explicitly Pomo stuff before, but I’m still writing about what is in some way my story, this tale that I feel compelled to tell. I don’t think I’ll ever tell it fully, I don’t think it can be told fully. But I think that a whole lot (not all, but a lot) of my writing is informed or motivated by my reactions to this meta-theme.

In Conclusion!
(Or, You can start reading again here if you skipped the academic stuff)

So I was wondering: do any of you feel like you’ve got a One True Story? If so, does it affect your character choice or plot lines (it actually doesn’t for me, it just informs how I’m going to approach those characters or plots)? Do you think I’m being very silly? Anyway, talk amongst yourselves!

Codger

First off: Yay for having an intelligent thread aimed at the more accomplished among us! Not that beginning or middling writers won't understand this, but I do think it will be mostly the more practiced writers here who will get the most out of it.

As for the topic at hand, I think post modernism is full of crap in its rejection of the idea that there is no One True Story. It may be individualistic, but that doesn't mean it's not there. I've actually noticed, in my own writings, many of the same trends repeating themselves (justice, self identity, love unconditional, and death, to name the most common) in various permutations, interprations, and manners of understanding, as you talk about here.

In reading interviews with other writers, or reading about them, I've also noticed the same trend. Tolkien wanted a mythology and was, above all, a philologist, and both of those come through in his writing. Lovecraft was obsessed with self identity and childhood innocence, and those are consistent throughout all of his works. Stephen King is fascinated with what defines humanity and what makes us human, and nary a tale of his is absent those examinations. RA Salvatore continually writes about honor and duty. For Tanith Lee, it's love and acceptance.

I'm sure that's more examples than is really necessary, but it makes the point, I think. Anyone who tells stories has themes they always come back to somehow someway, even if the stories are in no way connected otherwise.

Does it affect character and plot? In some ways, yes. After all, not every character (or character group) is going to be prone to representing certain elements or themes, no matter how much of an abstraction that representation would be. Of course, their interactions may do so, as may the plot, but the further out from the individual character you get, the easier it is to include themes, anyway.

--- edit ---
In short, I agree. sweatdrop
******** you for doing this while I'm drunk.

I'd like to just say, "Postmodernism is bullshit," but Endrael pretty much already said that.

So why am I posting here?

I don't know. Maybe I should say something self-centered, like "I write character-driven stories that are, really, a strange amalgamation of plot and character that cannot function apart from each other due to the manner in which I bullshittify the two into a single thing." Or maybe something down the lines of "Of course some 'higher thingsuchwhatever" is going to pervade your work--you're a human."

Or I could say, "I just write stories." That'd be the short version.

Maybe sometime tomorrow, when my eyes aren't so sticky.
I realized a while back that, completely unintentionally, one theme has ended up pervading quite a lot of my writing, the concept of freedom vs. loyalty... Now, there's certainly quite a lot more than just that going on in many of them, and there's ones that don't touch on the subject at all, but it does tend to turn up in a disproportionate amount for me for some reason. Perhaps it's just something I end up thinking entirely too much about. Meh, I don't know, whatever.

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
Hmmmm.... this is a lot to think about. I'm probably still discovering my own themes, though. Although... friendship seems to be a big thing with me. The unending kind of friendship. I think...

Team Diedrich

No, not silly. Highly intelligent, in my opinion. Too intelligent, maybe, because some of the academic part and the whole philospical thing of it makes my brain itch. sweatdrop I'm terrible with philospies to begin with. I know I didn't even spell it right!

But I supppose, even though I am an amateur writer and somewhat clueless here, I will input my opinion.

Some writers may have One True Story, but I don't think I'm one of them myself. I have a Gazillion Random Stories. xD To be honest, I usually don't even think about themes when I start a story--they tend to form as I write. Yes, some of them are similar, but that's to be expected and not all of them are always the same. For example, I'm currently writing a dramatic story about lost memories, a sinful past, a person's true self etc., all deep and serious and whatnot. But the last two stories I reccently finished were one about two teenage girls chasing after a loose homework paper and one about a ghost who steals socks. If either of those last two even have a theme, they're obviously unrelated to the first one, or each other for that matter.

I'll write just about anything. And I usually write simply to express an idea and/or for fun. Most of the time, I don't set out to make a point or create a strong message--I just want to tell the story that's in my head, whatever it may be. My overactive imagination produces too many different ideas for there to be room for one main, meta-theme behind it all. ^^;
1) Excellent thread
2) I find that in my writing I insert a lot of religious undertones. They aren't even obvious/noticeable most of the time, but they are there. I usually have my characters display their morals. I'm also very interested in what makes people human, and often end up studying that aspect of people in my writing. In short, I agree with you.
I agree completely. I have always had themes that come up time and time again in my work -- though, admittedly, barely any of my work is ever finished.

- the decline of institutional values as the developments of rationality, knowledge and reason (as well as the increasing amount of differing perspectives and viewpoints in contact with one another) continue to accelerate

- the ever-present conflict between freedom and security, chaos and stability, infinite possibility and no possibility.

- the ease in which morality, authority and other "superordinate" entities can be corrupted or even broken.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. x_x
Haha, I now get to try to respond to a lot of people all at once (and then I go to bed, it is very late here)!

Endrael
First off: Yay for having an intelligent thread aimed at the more accomplished among us! Not that beginning or middling writers won't understand this, but I do think it will be mostly the more practiced writers here who will get the most out of it.

As for the topic at hand, I think post modernism is full of crap in its rejection of the idea that there is no One True Story. It may be individualistic, but that doesn't mean it's not there. I've actually noticed, in my own writings, many of the same trends repeating themselves (justice, self identity, love unconditional, and death, to name the most common) in various permutations, interprations, and manners of understanding, as you talk about here.

Yes, this is what I'm talking about exactly. Even when you're not writing 'that story about Justice-with-a-capital-J', it's sort of sitting in the background. And word to the postmodernists being wrong. I think my relationship with Pomo over the years has evolved to mutual detente: I think it's really interesting (even compelling, sometimes) in theory, but I'm not certain that I can internalize it deeply enough for it to really make a difference in how I think or write.

Endrael

I'm sure that's more examples than is really necessary, but it makes the point, I think. Anyone who tells stories has themes they always come back to somehow someway, even if the stories are in no way connected otherwise.

Does it affect character and plot? In some ways, yes. After all, not every character (or character group) is going to be prone to representing certain elements or themes, no matter how much of an abstraction that representation would be. Of course, their interactions may do so, as may the plot, but the further out from the individual character you get, the easier it is to include themes, anyway.

I wonder about this. With writers like Tolkein, it's easy to see the themes in their work, but with other writiers I feel like perhaps they write a really seminal work, and then they reach a point where they've said all that they feel they need to on a subject, and thier writing afterwards goes in a radically different direction (I'm thinking Heinlien here, but there are lots of examples). So maybe it is possible to write the definitive statement on one of these themes, and not feel the need to write it any more.

I think that you're probably right (at least in my case) that the broadest themes of my work do more to determine which characters I won't use than which I will. So I guess it's stretching it a little to say that these ideas don't really influence my plots or characters.

MajKai ******** you for doing this while I'm drunk. [/quote]

Mwahahaha! It is part of an EVOL PLAN to take over the forums while no one is looking!

MajKai Nis

I don't know. Maybe I should say something self-centered, like "I write character-driven stories that are, really, a strange amalgamation of plot and character that cannot function apart from each other due to the manner in which I bullshittify the two into a single thing." Or maybe something down the lines of "Of course some 'higher thingsuchwhatever" is going to pervade your work--you're a human.&q
o9g7am4v:5="MajKai Nis

I don't know. Maybe I should say something self-centered, like "I write character-driven stories that are, really, a strange amalgamation of plot and character that cannot function apart from each other due to the manner in which I bullshittify the two into a single thing." Or maybe something down the lines of "Of course some 'higher thingsuchwhatever" is going to pervade your work--you're a human."

I think that my writing process is fairly similar to this, and I fail utterly when I try to describe how I actually approach writing, because it's so different from how many people on the forums seem to.

Also, I think "I just write stories" might be the most insightful thing that will get said on this thread.

Dragonfly37
I realized a while back that, completely unintentionally, one theme has ended up pervading quite a lot of my writing, the concept of freedom vs. loyalty... Now, there's certainly quite a lot more than just that going on in many of them, and there's ones that don't touch on the subject at all, but it does tend to turn up in a disproportionate amount for me for some reason. Perhaps it's just something I end up thinking entirely too much about. Meh, I don't know, whatever.

Yeah, I actually started writing this because periodically I end up going "Oh noes, another story about that again!" And then I realize that I've always written what I want to write, and if this is what I'm feeling at the moment, I may as well run with it. It's so much better than writer's block, that I don't feel like I can complain!
[Zana]
No, not silly. Highly intelligent, in my opinion. Too intelligent, maybe, because some of the academic part and the whole philospical thing of it makes my brain itch. sweatdrop I'm terrible with philospies to begin with. I know I didn't even spell it right!

Funny you should say this! I'm actually a philosophy major in college, so I do have a tendency to run off at the mouth sometimes. I try to curb myself when I realize I'm doing it, but occasionally my inner-geek just overflows.

[Zana]
Some writers may have One True Story, but I don't think I'm one of them myself. I have a Gazillion Random Stories. xD To be honest, I usually don't even think about themes when I start a story--they tend to form as I write. Yes, some of them are similar, but that's to be expected and not all of them are always the same. For example, I'm currently writing a dramatic story about lost memories, a sinful past, a person's true self etc., all deep and serious and whatnot. But the last two stories I reccently finished were one about two teenage girls chasing after a loose homework paper and one about a ghost who steals socks. If either of those last two even have a theme, they're obviously unrelated to the first one, or each other for that matter.

I'll write just about anything. And I usually write simply to express an idea and/or for fun. Most of the time, I don't set out to make a point or create a strong message--I just want to tell the story that's in my head, whatever it may be. My overactive imagination produces too many different ideas for there to be room for one main, meta-theme behind it all. ^^;

I'm just fascinated with this! I think that it might be the case that I have a Billion Random Stories in my head, but the ones that seem worth the effort of getting onto paper and then refining tend to be the ones that are centered around the themes that I like to play with. One day, they will invent a machine to rip stories straight from your head and onto paper without the 'writing process' part that takes so much effort, and then I'd be sort of curious to know what my output would look like.

canadiangirl89
2) I find that in my writing I insert a lot of religious undertones. They aren't even obvious/noticeable most of the time, but they are there. I usually have my characters display their morals. I'm also very interested in what makes people human, and often end up studying that aspect of people in my writing. In short, I agree with you.

Ooh. Religion is a big theme in a lot of authors' work. I don't remember if Endrael brought up CS Lewis in his author examples above, but I feel like he wrote with religion in the background of all his writing. I often wish that I could write about religion, but I don't think I have clear enough ideas about it yet to write the story that I feel is kind of hazy in the back of my brain. One day when I'm older, maybe.

Fidei Defensor
I agree completely. I have always had themes that come up time and time again in my work -- though, admittedly, barely any of my work is ever finished.

I know what you mean. Often, it's the stories that sort of fall in with my meta-themes that do get finished, because there's a level of interest for my brain there that other fics don't have. Thinking about what people have said in this thread made me realize that.
I...really don't get themes that much. Mostly, my modus operandi is simply to get this feeling that this story would be utterly awesome to write, and then go about doing it, and then, as I muse on it when I'm not writing it, themes and stuff will occur to me - but the theme is something that occurs to me after I have some concept of the story already in mind, not starting with said theme and wondering what kind of story I could tell that'd express it.

But come to think of it, the two bigger projects I'm working on are basically rejections of most of the themes you guys've picked.

Calinca & Terry's Necromatic Adventure! Well, even in their golden age, necromancers were famous for their lack of respect for life, law and morality. They were the kind of people who would sneak up to Olympus and key Zeus's chariot with NECROMANCY RULES, BY THE WAY IT WAS I, AURIXOS OF THEBES WHO SCRATHED YOUR PAINTJOB, I DARE YOU TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT on both sides.

Now, all of that was a long time ago, and of course this isn't set in Ancientgreecia, but Calinca is still the product of a fairly twisted tradition. Hell, she pretty much uses an army of a hundred thousand people as a sacrifice - she knows the battle ahead is hopeless and ******** the prophecy that says she's to lead them to freedom and redeem the necromancer name - so she gives them an uplifting speech, then sneaks away during the night and lets the forces of the Monotheist Temple cut them down as a numerically superior, disciplined force is wont to do.

Before that, she charms a young Temple Inquisitor, who comes to believe that there is still some good in her so he joins her party to redeem her and bring her to Ostego. He ends up giving his life for her, and because she still needs a protector, she raises him up again as a tortured undead abomination who has seen what lies Beyond and can never unsee it again.

Sonya's Magical Patricide
Sonya wants to kill her father - and she can't remember why, she just remembers she really wanted to this one time, and she's so sure of herself she's certain she wouldn't have wanted to kill him if she hadn't had a very good reason to.
So she embarks on a quest for vengance, and drags in a couple of other people, and they're pretty much both sacrificed to the Quest. At least one of them is a magically-gifted blind boy who is lied to about what the Quest even is, and who would never have been willing to die for her if he knew she was actually trying to kill her father.
And of course she has a pair of sixshooters who may or may not have been Stormbringer in a previous incarnation.
She kills her father, and it turns out her reason to do it was really ******** petty.
All my stories, more or less, are attempts to rationalise and explain the terrible things that people do to each other. Generally the plots revolve around somebody leaving, killing or rejecting another person. Their reasons are rarely explicitly stated within the story. Thinking about my life and the way I react to certain things, this attempt to explore these themes probably says quite a lot about me. Woah. Deep. xd

As for affecting character and plot, yes, to a certain extent it does. My characters tend to be painfully normal people, generally residing in Middle England. That's a part of the theme I usually explore, I suppose: ordinary people doing terrible things. As for plot, well, as I said above, they usually revolve around leaving, whether through death or rejection.
You've got a pretty interesting point there, and it's been explored before.

J. Campbell wrote a book called The Hero with a Thousand Faces, which is a really roundabout way of examining all myths and breaking them into a single one, the monomyth, that is common among all cultures.

And by myth, he really means any 'epic' story. Including Star Wars.
Thank you so much for writing this. It's certainly a welcome change from the onslaught of trite repeat-topics and the trend of making rants (possibly to be cool, although I'm sure some people here really are doing it for the benefit of others). Finally, something a little heavier and more intellectual to sink our teeth into. It's just a pity that so much I wanted to say has already been said.

I think I do have a constant theme in my stories - usually it's to do with humanity, the lack thereof and the struggle to become accepted as a human. That makes me think of Bicentennial Man. I'm always interested in the loss of humanity, and the search for redemption that follows.
I know these are common themes to deal with, but I feel that my attachment to them is far from superficial - I get frustrated when my own life doesn't match up to my personal moral code. Redemption, change and strength of will figure big in my stories because I'm struggling to change myself, bit by bit, to become the person I want to be.

I certainly agree that everyone has their own personal meta-story that reappears in their works. It's all about self-expression, and what we make is based on who we are. When we write stories, I find the themes that result are typically one of two sorts - our personal experiences, challenges and questions talking through us, or a broader meta found in fairytales and shitty angst stories alike. The latter is often the bad sort, although there is nothing wrong with a recycled idea. The former is more individual (though far from unique - I'm sure there are thousands of budding writers who deal with the same themes as I do).

Anyways, I feel somewhat inspired. Prior to this, I hadn't really thought about connectivity between my stories. It makes perfect sense to me though, fits in quite nicely with my own various (and mostly useless) philosophies. I know there's a practical application to the knowledge that my themes are ultimately the same. When I feel less sleepy, I'll find it and apply it to anything and everything.
Mr. Compatible
I think I do have a constant theme in my stories - usually it's to do with humanity, the lack thereof and the struggle to become accepted as a human. That makes me think of Bicentennial Man. I'm always interested in the loss of humanity, and the search for redemption that follows.
I'm writing something like this too, only with a more interesting idea of my MC feels he is something inhuman, feels perfectly okay with slaughtering people in cold blood, and yet still asks his best friend to forgive him for his behavior. I don't quite understand it myself. confused

But anywho. The idea of a meta-story is certainly an interesting one, and I hadn't really thought about it before now (and therefore don't think I have much authority babbling about it). I think my meta-story must be the same one as the OP--unconditional love. There's also a degree of acceptance in all my stories, and I agree with Mr. Compatible that it's personal experience showing through there.

(Possibly unrelated) I don't think that most people should or do start out with a theme or meta-theme in mind, and it's only after a great(ish) amount has been written that you can analyze it. But going back to what Zana said, I don't know if it is something present in everything you write--I've written about a teen killing his neighbor's dog, and I can't find any trace of love or acceptance there.

Excellent topic. whee

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces