Welcome to Gaia! ::

There is a point in every person's life that marks a transition from youth to adulthood and from freedom to responsibility. This moment is traditionally called a "coming of age." For some it is cultural, for some it is personal, and for others it is circumstantial. For some people these moments are so subtle that they don't even notice them as they occur, but rather reflect many years later that "I didn't really start feeling like an adult until I got my first job/graduated college/my parents divorced." It is a theme we see reoccurring across cultures, reflected in their history and their mythology and it is a theme in turn reflected time and again in the literary world.

Perhaps the easiest place to point out the coming of age story is in fantasy. Someone turns sixteen and "comes into their powers" or the innocent country boy is swept up in war and intrigue, forced to leave his naivety behind. Sometimes the "coming of age" can occur very young; a twelve year old who is raped, a six year old who learns he can stand up to boys bigger than himself. For some it could be as simple as moving into one's own place, or paying their own bills for the first time - it's all in the perceptions of the person in question.

My question to you is this: Do you include a coming of age in your stories? I don't just mean the actual event, but does your character ever think about it if it's something that's already happened? How does it/has it changed them? Coming of age is indicative of accepting the power as well as responsibility of adulthood , even for those characters that are still considered children. What sort of changes does this effect, how does it shape the characters? What sort of form does it take in your story ? Is it cultural (i.e. a Jewish bar mitzvah, or the removal of charms deigned to protect children in Egyptian ideology), circumstantial or personal? And of course, do you even think of your events in these terms or give them the significance attributed to it? Do you feel that this is an important consideration when formulating your characters?

Please discuss any and all aspects I’ve brought up and any I haven't as they relate to writing - either your own or the success/failure of attempts to integrate a coming of age that you've read elsewhere.
I really don't like including 'Coming of Age' in any of my stories because I usually write about adults.

And I never thought of coming of age coming all at once. That would be overkill, it would crush a kid. I mean, whatever happened to preparation? Your mum teaches you how to cook, how to clean, etc, you learn how to pay your own bills, you learn how to drive... "Coming of age" isn't clean. It's less, "whee, Imma adult!" and more, you look back, and say, "Holy s**t, I'm an adult. @_@"

I wish coming of age, if it's going to be dealt with at all, would be treated with more subtletly. I mean, ceremonial things are nice and all, but they don't really have that much impact. Yes, my Bat-Mitzvah was great and wonderful and euphoric and all, but about a week later, I felt like nothing had really happened.

It should be treated the same way as madness, really. A character should be able to look back and realize that their life (or their mind, in madness) has gone "PING!" and changed, either for better or for worse, but never be conscious of it actually happening until after the fact.
I'm not sure if I've given my characters a "coming of age" in any of my stories. At least, not in a kind of sense where they suddenly look at the world are realize "Hey, I've matured!". The majority of my characters mature without really knowing it.
I didn't mean to imply that it is always an abrupt shift in perspectives, and as I said it's often not a moment people recognize until they reflect on it many years later. You're absolutely right though, it very rarely is a single moment and even for those who have an event traumatic enough to force them into awareness of adult life, that doesn't make the transition by any means smooth or complete.

Even so, there often trigger events, sometimes very minute, that are important to the individual or character. Personally, the first time I wrote a rent check for my house I thought to myself, "Holy crap, I really am an adult." That doesn't discount everything that lead up to that moment as a part of growing into adulthood, or what followed after as continuing to grow into it, but it was a specific moment that, for me, highlighted the changes I had gone through.

I think that those sorts of moments can be important to a character, important for an author to know where they came from before they got where they are now. It can also be a fantastic journey for an audience to follow if you do choose to show that process.
I usually have my characters start out after they have come of age so that they are a solid character, and then they grow and develope to deal with situations.
I never really thought of it, but I do have a sort of "coming-of-age" type thing in some of my stories. I guess it depends, since each of my characters' experience either differed from the norm or just was the same as the norm. In one story, the main character kills off most of her family as soon as she hits a point in her life where she knows she can. Thus she can begin her real purpose, which ends up being even more bloody. Another character, the youngest reaches the point where as a demon, she has to find am ate, but since more of the demons had been wiped out, and her only choice is left with the boy she grew up with. She loves him, but she doesn't want to reveal her true nature fully to him. Coming-of-age is an awesome thing to have!

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
I don't write coming of age stories, mostly because I believe we can have more than one of those happen to us in a lifetime. A ceremony, though making us culturally an adult, doesn't really change how we see or react to the world around us. We grow up in stages, and some do it sooner than others. So no, I don't write coming of age stories, I write people growing up.
I think that many cultures have retained their coming of age ceremonies even though in today's age they don't have quite the same relevance they once did. Depending on the changes that a person takes away from such an event, and how the people around that person react in response to it, a cultural or ceremonial coming of age can be virtually empty of meaning (though one would hope not as there are few enough ceremonies left in most cultures today). However, a ceremonial coming of age can be a personal one as well. Several Native American tribes include vision quests as a part of the transformation to adulthood. Having never experienced one I obviously can't understand it exactly, but spiritual revelation can play an important part in changing someone's outlook.

I think I wasn't entirely clear in the first post since this has been misunderstood several times already. I do not mean to imply that there is one moment in a person's life where a switch is flipped and they suddenly change from child to adult with no transitions, no going back, and no further growth. Life is about change and constantly growing.

I meant that there are moments which stand out. Moments when someone realizes that they can't continue as they have and begin a journey towards being a "grown-up." Moments when we are hit with how far we have come without realizing it. Moments that we didn't realize would change us when they began, but we look back upon them and realize how much came of it.

Perhaps I shouldn't call them "coming of age" moments, but rather moments of realization. A moment is never going to encompass an entire journey, they are just moments, but that doesn't mean they aren't important in who someone is, or who they will become.

Sexy Vampire

My first thought when I saw the thread title was that it was misplaced GD material, but then I started reading it and noticed, "Hey, WF regular.", and realized it wasn't. sweatdrop

But yeah. On topic, I think it's pretty much impossible to write any story without including a coming-of-age aspect somewhere in there, since, after all, a coming-of-age moment is necessary for character growth, no matter how minute that growth is. Beyond that, it depends on the type of story how much emphasis is placed on the coming-of-age aspect. Dan Brown's Angels & Demons is much less focused on any coming-of-age interpretations than Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, for example.

And not all characters need it, either. With secondary and tertiary characters, you can get away with them being largely unchanged throughout the whole story, depending on their role in the tale. Gandalf in LotR, for example, doesn't really change at all throughout the story. He's always the wise old leader with a lot of inherent power. Contrast that with Bilbo, whose role is largely inconsequential but still pivotal, because he was a ring bearer. Because he was more intimately involved with Sauron's ring than almost any other character, it makes sense to show changes in him, even if he does only make three appearances in the whole story as a tertiary character.
I guess I never really thought about the "coming of age" and it seems I've accidently included it in a way. I have a character, Elexia. Elexia has had alot of hardships and whatnot. She was kind of sold off to pay for her fathers gambling debts. i won't get into too much detail here, but the person she was "sold" too was basically a horrible controlling murderous person. She later sort of gets out of it and moves in with a cousin. I guess all of that made her the timid shy and quiet person she is. And she mentions later int he story that she had to grow up before her cousin because it was the only way she could possible survive her living hell.
Treasure Island is about Coming of Age. The kid blasts a pirates's face off with a pistol.
Coming of age can aswell be a topic in itself to interpret, characters of signifigance grows with their experience. Think of of it as a chick coming out from its shell when they overcome the obstacle, or falls on. Coping with the consequences is part of wielding "adulthood", or "experience".

Depending on the size of my stories, I somewhere include a form of growing up in my protagonists, even if it isn't clearly visible.
Chemical Induction
But yeah. On topic, I think it's pretty much impossible to write any story without including a coming-of-age aspect somewhere in there, since, after all, a coming-of-age moment is necessary for character growth, no matter how minute that growth is. Beyond that, it depends on the type of story how much emphasis is placed on the coming-of-age aspect. Dan Brown's Angels & Demons is much less focused on any coming-of-age interpretations than Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, for example.

In regards to Dan Brown, I find it interesting that his main character in Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code has almost the reverse of a coming of age moment. The whole incident with the well and the phobia that arose out of that (it's been a while, but I'm fairly certain that's addressed in both of the books) has - rather than propelling him forawrd into adulthood - been a moment which has caused a part of him to remain trapped in his childhood, fettered by the fear he has of enclosed spaces. While certainly a defining moment for the character, it ended up being something that stunted him rather than helping him to grow.

You, know I hadn't even thought of the other side of the coin when I made this thread, what trials we don't pass. It's certainly a valid point though and I'm glad you brought up that book.

But yes, there are certainly characters where the audience isn't clued in to what sorts of things they went through on their path to adulthood, either because the author doesn't feel the audience needs to know about that aspect of the character, or because we see through another character's eyes and that one is oblivious to the idea that everyone was young at one time.

Do you think that an author should know these things even if the audience doesn't? Or do you think it's just needless complication?
i am currently writing/thinking sudconiously about a story where the main charater { quite gothicly , she is cool she is like my 2nd hero} looks back at her life and why she is the way she is { picture the biggest goth at your shool multiply by 1000 add good looks and powers: will to kill ablity to enspell a currept king... you get the charaters personilty barely} as she travels with this stuipid cleiric person then later becomes a ruthless warrior queen... ok it sucks but it shows growth ok?
I don't really like coming-of-age stories, generally.

There are two extremes that I see with rarely any in-betweens.

1: (Example, many books about Quincañeras), The all at once, suddenly an adult books, that usually feature the protagonist questioning him/her (but usually her) self, being nervous about the upcoming [insert event here], and so on.

2: (Example "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" wink The gradual coming-into-maturity things, with the protagonist learning a series of lessons over the course of childhood and adolescence. If this is the central idea of your story, it will most likely be horribly boring.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff