Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have only lurked or perhaps posted within the Gaia Writing boards for a little while – a little while as in a ‘freshman’, while some others on here might be ‘seniors’ or even ‘graduates’. This comparison of a highschool and its different levels is the only comparison that I think fits perfectly for the activity and knowledge of certain users when it comes to this board.

Perhaps for the last week (maybe?) I’ve been searching through the various threads, clicking one when it seems interesting or discusses an attention-grabbing value of writing. Most of the time I’ve viewed posts that are helpful, informative, and innovative. Every now and then, however, some of the ideals people will type just seem so wrong to me concerning fiction writing.

This will come as a shock to most of you, I’m sure: not at what some of these people will say, but at my sole beliefs. “It’s just writing using common sense!” You’ll exclaim, as though I’m some elementary critic, but the thoughts and feelings in this post are what I solely believe. I ask of you to please listen to what I’m typing now as open-mindedly as possible. I don’t mind any discussion or disagreement with my views, but I just wish for an introspective attitude – for a moment, even.

I have only been writing for six years. Compared to others, this is a small, insignificant amount of time. I love writing. I have cherished it throughout my life and enjoy it with every waking moment. Even just silly writings that I know are ridiculous inspire and captivate me more. The point is: I find writing a whole life of its own. Sometimes I will take it eagerly, seriously, strongly, but, no matter what, I find entertainment in just constructing stories on my laptop or scribbling sentences down on paper.

Every now and then I do need help, as most writers do. We aren’t invincible, after all. I meander over to the Gaia Writing boards, often taking a look at other’s writings or just getting a new perspective on things in general. It’s a break from my own writing, you know.

Most of the time I applaud every person here, taking their time to learn and create masterpieces that further the human knowledge and morals. There are other instances, however, when some of the threads on here actually pain me a little.

What threads would those be? Spam? Inappropriate content? Misplaced conversation that goes in another board?

Questions of originality, cliché concepts, etc.

I detest those threads for several reasons of my own. Perhaps those reasons are wrong in the eyes of professional writers and artists, but, as I shall state once more, they honestly reside in my heart. After a while, I chose to ignore them, and maybe I still do…and yet I wondered enough about expressing my beliefs and reasoning to type this dilly-dally up. It’s taken me about three days.

In my true opinion, writing does not have a ‘how’ except for two points: a) write something down that contains setting, characters, and plot and b) use your imagination. These simple – and a little cheesy, I admit - requirements are the steps to basic writing. Writing does not have to be an instructional manual. It’s something that derives from your soul and has different moods, effort, and feeling. People will write to get away from everyday life, and people will write to get published. Many people will write each sentence very seriously with the strict goal of getting published. I understand this. I respect this. However, from my standpoint, there’s no excuse to be telling or believing that writing cannot have unoriginal or cliché concepts.

I have told many people who use this board as a sanctuary my beliefs and they claim I’m overreacting. Am I? There are these types of threads/posts/even mental images all over the boards, saying that writing has to have a set of constant rules, like physical law. “Using these events/sayings/etc. in your story is stupid because they’ve been used too many times,” They assert, which I think is stupid in itself.

Writing is a piece of literature that derives from you and is given to others. So if you write a two-hundred page novel that is praised by everyone who has read it because it gives them something to think or consider or to even look at a different portion of life from, should it be trashed because the main plotline has a completely unrealistic, childish quest for the “Necklace of Life”?

Thinking long-term, should your entire writing style and creativity be altered completely for the sake of not sounding too ‘cliché’ or ‘imitative’? Should you be criticized and told to edit five areas of your writing because it’s ‘seen too much’?

There are two paths for these questions. One: the changes are actually making small improvements that make your writing better. Two: the changes are distracting from your piece entirely and/or causing you to have a Creativity Block, because some people know that if you write from your soul, you’re just going to get a commonly seen plot/event/etc. the writing population has already read and thus the writing population will criticize you about because they are brain-washed with stereotypes and technicalities.

Unoriginal plot/writing is okay.

I don’t see how it couldn’t be okay. When you write fiction, you are trying to please yourself and the people of the world. You’re trying to weave something that brings out the emotions and thoughts of the human race. You’re not trying to create something highly technical and highly rule-struck to the point of being a make-believe essay. If you are, I pity you.

On another point, make-believe essays are very boring – at least, from the opinions of my friends, family, colleagues, and even me. How do you plan on publishing anything if it doesn’t interest anybody? How do you plan on achieving that ‘something that brings out the emotions and thoughts of the human race’ when it doesn’t even make the reader wonder, “What’s going to happen next?”

Cliches and the Newbie Writer Factor

I find this point the most irritating of all: newbie writers, sometimes learning to spell or construct a story properly, get criticized for a flat-out dumb reason. (This does not apply to newbie writers who insult you or flame you for giving editing tips.) In the cases of the experienced writers telling the newbie writers off or using the newbie writers as bad examples, I’d like to imagine a senior stuffing a freshman into a locker. Editing tips – even major, three-page long critique – is perfectly fine: by all means, go ahead and give it to them, but there should be no reason to use first-time writings or poetry as bad examples, claiming they're stupid pieces that deserve to be insulted. Yes, this also concerns stories on fanfiction.net. Just because someone still hasn’t found a decent writing structure yet doesn’t mean they’re retarded. They’re learning.

But before I steer off of the road, however, I’ll get back on topic with my whole unoriginality belief. Cliches and newbie writers do not deserve insult. They may not even connect. To prove this point, I have seen the most simply-constructed writings flourish with interesting and insightful qualities, even if they do have clichés or commonly sense plotlines. Hell, the writing may not even have a cliché, and people may be stereotyping and pulling a cliché from it.

On the note of fanfictions: they aren’t so ungrateful and useless as you may believe. Sure, they may be based upon a media type, but what does this mean? Because a story is a continuation of an Inuyasha episode, does that make it horrible as long as you enjoy it and it’s written from the heart?

What Does Make Something Futile to Read/Acknowledge?

The following:
-stories with pointless and unorganized sex
-stories with pointless and unorganized language/violence
-stories with plagiarism
-stories that aren’t really stories, just blurbs of letters and numbers
-stories that are used as chatting areas
-stories that are illustrations…aren’t those called comics? <__<

Really, anything that’s not a story or is just five-pages of PG-13/NC-17 material that has no standpoint, setting, plotline, or organization. These types of ‘writings’ are just poor imitations of actual writing, and I like to call them Writing Implants. Some believe stories with role-play (stories with viewer-made applications for characters to be included), play format, or ‘hentai’ type material should be included on this list, but, in my belief, such material may be an enjoyable, actual story if executed properly.

I also think ‘make-believe essays’ are futile to read due to lack of intriguing storyline, but they can and should be acknowledged as writings: they succeed being made via a utensil and have setting, characters, and plot, and while they lack a large amount of imagination, it’s still there in tiny quantities.

When Replying to My Rant

I’m not going to be a mod, so I’ll try to keep this vague and directed around ‘common logic’.

You may, of course, discuss, disapprove, approve, and/or talk about all manner of the beliefs expressed in my post. You have the freedom to. However, please do not flame me. In precise terms, please do not insult me. I have worked very hard on this post, and so it would only be fair that you restrain from calling me names directly, especially without explaining it. You may call my beliefs names accompanied by reason, but please not me. If you do, I can only resort to ignoring your post – and your opinion – entirely.

I assume you have read through my rant with an open mind, whether you agree or disagree with my beliefs.

Some Tiny Points

Thank you for reading through this post. I applaud you, because, copied and pasted onto MS Word, this rant takes up four pages. You deserve a gingersnap. =)

Please do not PM me about this post – I’ve already gotten one, sadly. I’d like to keep this discussion onto the thread.

If I have somehow piled you with rules concerning replying/reading this thread, I have done it so discussing does not go awry. I’d hate to have a terrible argument on here.

Excuse any happy, cheesy-go-luckiness I may have overly expressed onto this thread. I have typed this post from my heart and my sole opinions, so many thoughts/views may have been expressed dramatically. Go figure: I’m a woman. ;3

Thank you again for taking the time to view this. I appreciate any responses, views, etc. Honest to bits.
Well said. I have long held the belief that no idea is inherently bad. There may be good or bad uses of an idea, but an idea in of itself is just a seed. I think half the problems we face as writers boil down to that argument, in one form or another.
Chaos Incarnation
Well said. I have long held the belief that no idea is inherently bad. There may be good or bad uses of an idea, but an idea in of itself is just a seed. I think half the problems we face as writers boil down to that argument, in one form or another.

A nice summary of my thoughts. :3 -nod nod-

Thanks for your reply. <3
First of all, thanks for the gingersnap! *is craving sweets*

I'm inclined to kiss your feet because this post is probably the most thoughtful, articulate, and mature thing I have read in the WF for a long time. I agree with you -- and I disregarded any cheesiness because I too end up sounding cheesy when I talk about writing. I think the problem is that there is an overload of bad writing nowadays, from inexperienced writers who jump from a shy, journal-bound amateur to a pretentious regular in a matter of two posts. And of course, they are bashed and flamed and the real regulars are so frustrated that they put on their hard helmets and wait menacingly for the next newbie to screw up.

I admit, I do it too. When I see writing that consists of "i walkd 2 the storre an bot sum eggs," I can't help but react somewhat violently. But I do recognize those who try.

Now, on the cliché/overused part of your post -- I've always believed, like you, that no idea is innately bad, it just needs work. And I really am sick and tired of "Is this cliché?" and "Is this good?" threads, because I can't judge a story based on the concept! If we all boiled down our favorite novels into broad summaries, I'm sure they'd sound trite, too. I wish that people would stop focusing on cliché -- better yet, remove the word from your dictionary and just write from the heart, like this kind lady says.

Well said, well said. I applaud you. <3.
Quote:
If we all boiled down our favorite novels into broad summaries, I'm sure they'd sound trite, too. I wish that people would stop focusing on cliché -- better yet, remove the word from your dictionary and just write from the heart, like this kind lady says.

Amen to that.

And thanks for the gingersnap smile
My only point to this is that if you're giving them advice and critiquing them, if the story is cliche and unoriginal, it's still a point you should bring up with them. It's something that they need to work on, and just because they're newer to writing doesn't make them immune to any criticism to that end. It's something they'll eventually need to address in their careers.

Proxy Autobiographer

7,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Conventioneer 300
There is one part that sticks out to me as something I don't agree with.

sabs [n`] c i r c u i t s
Writing is a piece of literature that derives from you and is given to others. So if you write a two-hundred page novel that is praised by everyone who has read it because it gives them something to think or consider or to even look at a different portion of life from, should it be trashed because the main plotline has a completely unrealistic, childish quest for the “Necklace of Life”?

I think there's a couple big things in here that make this point invalid. The first is the story itself. If the story is so good as to make the plot weaknesses insignificant, that's one hell of a story - and not necessarily in a good way. Think of it as Dr. Frankenstein and his monster. The plot is the backbone, and if the good doctor can make the man walk without a well-structured backbone, he's made quite the accomplishment. However, the monster still lacks an essential part of the anatomy. xp You could make him as gorgeous as Ewan McGregor, but it would still be unsubstantial.

The second thing is your definition of "everyone who has read it." Some people share their work with only their family and friends. Bias plays a wonderful part in the perception of the work that you do. Not only that, let's take the case of some of the threads on Gaia. Case 1: a poorly written piece (as in, obviously bad writing) gets 8 responses from random strangers who say that they love it. Case 2: a mediocre poem gets 2 responses from critics who have taken time to point out the negative aspects of the poem and points where it needs to be improved. These are two very different definitions of "everyone," yet that doesn't make the work in Case 1 better than the work in Case 2, especially if the poet in Case 2 takes the information and works to better the piece. The Case 1 work might have touched people, but what good does that do if the grammar is tanked and the fundamentals totally ignored?

Obviously, I take a critical approach to all this. xp But I consider this a weakness in your point.
Gingersnaps! <3

In my view, everything is cliche. Everything. There's absolutely nothing that's original anymore. "Oh, but what about pink flying couches?" Yeah, that's cliche too.

So: stop worrying about cliches and write the story!

(Although, it does get rather tiring to read about the princess fleeing an unwanted marriage... unless the author writing it does it rather well. ^^ Even in this case, though, it isn't the cliche that's the problem so much as the skill level of the writer.)
Yes, we all know pink flying couches are so cliche, ^_^

In fact I love cliches, by all means write a cliche story, but for the love of God don't describe how 'Beautiful' the protaginist's eyes are. -_-
Angel802

In fact I love cliches, by all means write a cliche story, but for the love of God don't describe how 'Beautiful' the protaginist's eyes are. -_-

No, no, no.

Orbs.
wonkyspoon
Angel802

No, no, no.

Orbs.

Oh my God, orbs, I haven't heard something that stuffy in forever and a day.
Angel802
wonkyspoon
Angel802

No, no, no.

Orbs.

Oh my God, orbs, I haven't heard something that stuffy in forever and a day.

Lucky, lucky.

Browse around fanfiction.net long enough and "orbs" will become the bane of your existance, too.
I own a book called "The Novelist's Guide" by Margret Geraghty. In this book, there are two big points made about clichés and often used plotlines.

Point Number One
With regards to stereotype characters (i.e. the dumb blonde), it says that the use of such characters can actually make the reader feel more comfortable. However, it does say that trotting out stereotypes "as is", without modification, is not right. As she says:

Quote:
...we should aim for characters who appear fresh but are not so different as to make our readers feel uncomfortable. In other words, it's OK to serve steak every night, but make the sauce a surprise.

Point Number Two
There is no plot that has not been used. Like the fashion business, writing is all about using what has gone before and making it special. After all, if you think about it, modern romance stories aren't that different in basic plotline from stuff like "Pride and Prejudice". As she says:

Quote:
...emphasis on parts instead of the whole is the basis of all creativity, plotting included... writers take a basic plot and develop it afresh.

In Conclusion
Everybody uses cliché. All storylines have been done before when you break them down. It's just how you dress it up that counts.

So I support you all the way!
Jahoclave
My only point to this is that if you're giving them advice and critiquing them, if the story is cliche and unoriginal, it's still a point you should bring up with them. It's something that they need to work on, and just because they're newer to writing doesn't make them immune to any criticism to that end. It's something they'll eventually need to address in their careers.

Actually, I partly disagree with you. It depends on the situation.

In my opinion, if the 'cliche' of the story (or if the story in itself is 'cliche') is executed poorly - it becomes unenjoyable or tough to read - than it does deserve to be mentioned in editing. I did say something about editing still, by all means, needed to be given. Just because a person is new to writing, however, doesn't mean they should be targeted as bad, especially because of cliches.

Now if the cliche were executed nicely and makes the story all the more enjoyable, I won't bother with it. Not even a single claim of 'unoriginality' would come out in my edit.

I think what I'm truly trying to say is that cliches, if unenjoyable, can be mentioned in edits or advice. If the cliche is enjoyable, there's no need for it to be mentioned. Just because some part of the story is commonly seen doesn't mean it should be immediately flamed.

Have Your Pi
There is one part that sticks out to me as something I don't agree with.

sabs [n`] c i r c u i t s

I think there's a couple big things in here that make this point invalid. The first is the story itself. If the story is so good as to make the plot weaknesses insignificant, that's one hell of a story - and not necessarily in a good way. Think of it as Dr. Frankenstein and his monster. The plot is the backbone, and if the good doctor can make the man walk without a well-structured backbone, he's made quite the accomplishment. However, the monster still lacks an essential part of the anatomy. xp You could make him as gorgeous as Ewan McGregor, but it would still be unsubstantial.

The second thing is your definition of "everyone who has read it." Some people share their work with only their family and friends. Bias plays a wonderful part in the perception of the work that you do. Not only that, let's take the case of some of the threads on Gaia. Case 1: a poorly written piece (as in, obviously bad writing) gets 8 responses from random strangers who say that they love it. Case 2: a mediocre poem gets 2 responses from critics who have taken time to point out the negative aspects of the poem and points where it needs to be improved. These are two very different definitions of "everyone," yet that doesn't make the work in Case 1 better than the work in Case 2, especially if the poet in Case 2 takes the information and works to better the piece. The Case 1 work might have touched people, but what good does that do if the grammar is tanked and the fundamentals totally ignored?

Obviously, I take a critical approach to all this. xp But I consider this a weakness in your point.

All I can say is that is a wonderful, well-thought point. And I got a Mod to reply to my thread, which is first! -explodes with happiness-

I think your first point is a major weakness of my whole rant majigger that I didn't even consider. I think my example was an inaccurate one, and your explanation does sort of effect how my post is looked at.
    I'm going to think about it a little before specifically getting back to you on it, though.

As for the second point: it really does depend on the story. If Case 1 is really quite remarkable with no editing spelling or grammar processes done and if Case 2 is still not as entertaining or precise as Case 1, than Case 1 may win. But if we are talking about major changes to Case 2's plotline overall, it really does depend on the story's construction and who's under the hood.

At that point in my rant I think I steered a little off-topic, however. ^^;

And thank you, everyone, for the thank yous about my post (and the gingersnaps)! :3 All the responses are wonderful! I'm cherishing even the disagreeing replies! <3

It does make me a little gloomy these days that most authors won't write from the heart and would rather drown themselves in technicalities or the worries of cliches. I'm not sure what else to say about it other than it makes me rather depressed.

And sorry if my opinions are a little sketchy. I have a cold and normally I'm so scatter-brained that ideas don't necessarily come out solid. xD
You seem to misunderstand.

What makes a cliche a cliche is that it's being used for the sake of using it, not simply the fact that it's being used. A cliche is something that's been used to the point of exhaustion and does not summon the right response from the reader. Two scenes portraying the same thing may be totally different in terms of cliche, because one is written in such a way that it seems the event is necessary, and the other could be written in a fashion were the same thing is used because it's cool and comes out seeming superfluous.

Now, if you take that "cliche" plotline you gave, some kind of plot about the necklace or whatever, well, it makes sense that someone is questing for it if they have a damn good reason. If it's for a reason that's not unique to the characters questing, then there'd better be a damn good reason why no one else is questing for it, too.

After that, it all comes down to the writing.

Cliche is a matter of how something's written. Something can't be used because it's cool or because that's just the way it's been done in other stories. It has to be used because it makes sense, and if what makes sense reeks of cliche when it's explained, it won't be if you write it well and show how it makes sense through the narrative.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff