Welcome to Gaia! ::

So how many of you writing lesbian stories. I'm not just talking about romance stories. I'm taking about any kind of stories featuring two lesbian characters. I've seen a lot of mention of M/M writers, but I was wondering how many write about this type of story.

Myself I have mentioned several times that I'm a lesbian writer, I'm a dyke after all and it is what I know. I tend to write from experience and seeing as I only ever dated one guy and have been dating girls since I was 12 I mostly have lesbian experiences to pull from.

To date I've finished 4 novels and working 7 more projects. All with different kinds of relationships and situations ranging from all out drama to horror and many others. I tend to steer clear of stereotypes when it comes to these kinds of stories. I hate how many people fall upon them when writing lesbians.

So tell me where the rest of you are, what you've written and what you like to see in these kinds of stories.

jaa ne

Kat
I honestly don't feel comfterble writing M/M or F/F cause well I'm a girl so I can't have any sort of M/M experience, and I've only dated guys so I don't have any F/F experience. ok not that I got much experience with a M/F relationship either, but atleast some so I stick to thoose if I write any sort or romantic relationship at all, I mean why write something you don't feel comfterble with or know much about? Not that I think there is any real difference emotionally but when it comes to interaction, yes probably, but I just don't know so I avoid it.
I normally write M/M but I've been trying to write some F/F lately... They've just been little short stories, normally with a darker theme to them...(not that I've finished any yet...but if I did...)
Well, I'm bisexual and write both types of relationships. I've written a few girl/girl stories, but the relationship actually usually isn't all it's about. It just kind of seems like a gimmick when you center it around that, y'know? Look at me, I'm writing a book where TWO GIRLS ARE IN A RELATIONSHIP!

Not that there's anything wrong with lesbian romance, I just haven't read many good ones.
If you're writing so-called lesbian lit, you should be reading Dorothy Allison. Who's really at her worst, IMO, the further she gets into the lesbian-lit spectrum. All the same, she's a powerful writer and generally recognized as one of the better contemporary authors dealing with this area.

Just remember, though, that "writing about lesbians" isn't necessarily interesting. Write a good story, no matter who or what you're writing about.
I wouldn't call it "lesbian literature", mostly because I'm not a lesbian and sexual preference is not a factor in the fantasy world I write in. Even though you say it's not necessarily a romance novel, the phrase still carries that connotation that the characters' sexuality is someway important to the story. Which, in my case, it never is.

When you ask, "What do [ I ] like in these kinds of stories?" I don't know how to answer. What kind of stories? neutral Stories about lesbians? Well, I don't know. I just don't want it to be totally cliche and I don't want the author stuffing "HEY LOOK AT THEM THEY'RE TEH GHEY!" down my throat, because people who are far, far too proud of their sexuality are just as annoying as people who condemn them. I honestly don't care about it. Many of these stories sound like they're trying to teach me a lesson about being a homophobe; if they aren't, they either sound masturbatory or like they're trying to get revenge on someone that upset them a long time ago (keep that to your Livejournal, for god's sakes).
I've written F/F, and have tried to pull off a few M/M.
Just incase your wondering, yes, the M/M did end that badly.
I suppose I just don’t really have any actual experience in a male to male relationship. It always either ends way too fluffy, or reeaaalllyyy unbelievable.
I've written stories with lesbians IN 'EM, but I don't really write lesbian stories, sorry.
Meh, I don't write stories center on a romance of any kind, but I do use lesbians and gays in my works. But if you are a human being, you can write anything, because love is love.

As for what I look for, I'd like to something out of the butch/femme area. As neither a butch or a femme, it bores me quickly.
I've never actualy been able to write M/M... untill lately my two best friends are gay and pretty much i've been writeing about their experiences... i'm really good at F/F even tho i havent really had much experence in that field. but really i try to stick to no relationships in the storys
Not all lesbian lit centres around the relationship. Many times it does, but there are many that just have lesbian leads that make interesting stories.

I look for and write stories first. The fact that they are lesbians is just an aftermath. I tend to not have the relationship be the main plotline. I get tired of the emotional dramas that some seem to write when they focus more on the relationships and not the rest of the story as well. As such I only read a few lesbian lit stories, mostly online stuff. There are alot of good stories online and off, but there is so much crap it is hard to sift through it all.

I wanted to see if there were more serious lesbian writers out there. People who do not just write because it is cool or anything like that. People who write stories first most and their just happens to be lesbian characters in them.

jaa ne

Kat
My stories don't center around the relationships. But I certainly add the lesbians on purpose. And I suppose it would be an important hallmark of my writing, whether it's platonic or not. As a teenage lesbian it's significant that there are very few teenage lesbians in mainstream media and I findly thaqt fairly irritating. But gay teenage boys aren't nearly as invisible. So I sought to solve the problem =P
Nope, can't say that I've ever written a story with lesbians.

Though, I do have a character that flirts with everyone, regardless of gender. Not because she wants to sleep with the person, but that's just how she is. She's naturally flirty.

Clean Consumer

I'm confused as to why someone would want to define their writings as "Lesbian Lit" when they could just as easily call it "Literature". Sure, you pick up a niche crowd, but you're also bottlenecking yourself.

Can someone explain this to me?
Muted Heretic
I'm confused as to why someone would want to define their writings as "Lesbian Lit" when they could just as easily call it "Literature". Sure, you pick up a niche crowd, but you're also bottlenecking yourself.

Can someone explain this to me?

The main reason I do so is because of the idiots who get so upset when they discover that they are reading a lesbian story and need to be warned ahead of time.

Plus there are those who search just for lesbian lit because they need characters that they can relate too.

I would not call in bottlenecking at all. Sure if my stories are published, which seems to be a closer reality with every passing story. I would rather be place in the horror section then the lesbian lit catagory, but lesbian lit is where it will be placed, to keep other save from the fears of lesbians invading their lives. *sighs*

The only people who loss out are the ones who turn away just because they see the name lesbian on something. The thing I've found is I've posted my stories on sites that allow all forms of writing and on lesbian lit sites. I get alot of reviews and emails from people on the lesbian lit areas but next to nothing elsewhere. So I go where my crowd is.

jaa ne

Kat

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas