Welcome to Gaia! ::

No introduction required. cool

How to post effectively in the Double-You-Eff.
As enacted by Susy Newbie.

Scenario Number One

Don't post if you are just hungry for attention, it is five out of seven times an autofail.

Susy Newbie, after an evening or two exploring the roleplays of Barton Town, the chaos of the Chatterbox, and even the wide-armed friendliness of the "Welcome To Gaia" forum, happens upon the Writer's Forum, a relatively slow-paced place, and in it she sees a great opportunity to make new friends and try to get better at writing, a new hobby of hers (she thinks she might have natural talent!).

Looking over the threads and even posting in a few, poor Susy immediately notices a problem. Nobody is talking to her. Little Susy looks jealously at the five or so threads just bouncing with activity, and suddenly, an idea dawns. What if Susy Newbie made a thread? It could get her some attention, and maybe even make her some new friends!

Susy goes to work, and with a few clicks and a couple punches on the keyboard, her topic is introduced to the forum.

"Hi ppl!

Hi guys, i'm a yung wirter (only 12!!!) and i really like poetry I think it is fully of expresion and would like to see sum of urs!!! "

Looking over her new topic, Susy is filled with pride. The topic is perfect. It provides information on herself, a friendly introduction, and an invitation for others to provide the same. It is even on topic for the forum, with the poetry discussion!

Soon, however, little Susy is quite disappointed, as her responses are thus:

"There is a subforum for posting poetry, go there."

"Try some punctuation and a spellcheck."

"Nobody cares how old you are."

"Reported."

Susy responds angrily, and vows to leave the forum forever.

Poor Susy! She wanted attention, and that is surely what she got.

Scenario Number Two

Read the stickies.

Let's try re-entering the Writer's Forum, shall we, Susy?

After perusing the general threads of the forum, and before deciding to post, Susy clicks on the thread entitled "HOLY RULEBOOK, BATMAN! Check out that Posting Guide!" and discovers a good many things about what is a good thread in the Writer's Forum and what isn't allowed.

Little does Susy know, she's already graduated to a new level of forumgoer, and is now far more likely to have a happy and productive experience in the Double-You-Eff.

Scenario Number Three

Always double-check for two things before you post a new topic, content and legibility.

Let's have Susy re-try posting.

First, Susy checks her title for indication of content and legibility. "Hi ppl!", while appropriate for the Chatterbox or "Welcome To Gaia" forum, isn't indicative of Writer's Forum level contribution. However, she can't write a title until she knows what her post will be about. So she blanks the space and tabs down to the inviting blank "Message:" space. She re-reads her original post, and finds is curiously lacking in both content and legibility! Revising it with better punctuation and spellchecking it on Microsoft Word (although she's a natural talent, little Susy isn't much of a speller), Susy is left with this:

"Hi, guys! I'm a young writer (only 12), and I really like poetry. I think it is full of expression and would like to see some of yours!"

With her legibility errors out of the way, it is easy for Susy to discover that her content is actually quite off-topic, despite her original impression that anything pertaining to writing was allowable in the Writer's Forum. Having read the stickies is saving her from a major error!

Unfortunately, Susy is now left with no reason to post. Which brings us to...

Scenario Number Four

Always have a reason to make a thread.

Avoiding posting for attention or posting in a manner that violates the stickies severely limits Susy Newbie's posting options. Fortunately for her, Susy has actually come across a conundrum while writing her poetry. She decides to ask a question about it.

She writes the bulk of her topic first.

"I've just started writing poetry."

Susy begins with some personal information, which is always allowed, even encouraged, as long as it is accompanied with good, stickies-obeying content.

"But I have a problem."

And here is how she includes the content! A real question about writing is, under most circumstances, appropriate in the WF. Having read the stickies, she certainly won't be asking anything inappropriate or answered elsewhere!

"I just don't have such a great vocabulary. I can't describe things like I want to. How could I get a better vocabulary without reading the dictionary?"

Here, little Susy has truly created a thing she can be proud of!

Checking her responses, she was pleased to see:

"Try reading books."

"Read poems and look up the words you don't know."

Curiously, however, she didn't see any more responses. What to do now?

Scenario Number Five

Try to respond to the people in your thread.

Little Susy Newbie, noticing that her thread had stalled at two responses, tries to encourage conversation by replying to her visitors.

"What book do you think I should read, Poster One?

And who is your favorite poet, Poster Two?"

She thereby invites responses from both posters, who point her toward their favorite author and poet. After a couple responses and her accompanying reply, Susy feels that she has made some new friends in the Writer's Forum, and goes on to read a new book and look up some poems on the internet.

Overall, a very productive topic, Susy!

Now, lets thank Susy for showing us a good way for a new forumgoer to start participating in the wonderful world of the Double-You-Eff. Next, we'll follow young Billy Been-Around and Regina Regular as they try to enrich their own Writer's Forum experience.

A note from the Author: If you'd like, you can comment on your own first experiences here in the writer's forum, and perhaps give some advice of your own to the Susy Newbies of Gaia. You could also discuss similar errors made by brand new poets or authors, or berate me regarding the whether or not this topic is actually allowed by the revered stickies, and whether or not it is completely hypocritical or unneccessary. wink
I'm so jealous. I wanted to make one of these and they wouldn't let me. *Pouts*
Well, I'm a giant hypocrite, and I enjoy flaunting disregard for the rules while advocating their strict adherence. rofl
arddunaid
Well, I'm a giant hypocrite, and I enjoy flaunting disregard for the rules while advocating their strict adherence. rofl

Lol. I actually just PMed Dev the other day to discuss making a "How NOT to piss people off in the writers forum" thread. Basically a newbie guide. ^^
What does this have to do with writing? Doesn't it just go against what you posted confused
Oh, and technically, this thread is not in violation of any directly stated Writer's Forum rules, although I would not object to it's movement to any particular place.
arddunaid
Oh, and technically, this thread is not in violation of any directly stated Writer's Forum rules, although I would not object to it's movement to any particular place.

I wonder if it could apply for Stickyhood.

Shy Saint

4,050 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Timid 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
[love.trust.fairy.dust]
What does this have to do with writing? Doesn't it just go against what you posted confused

No, well written guides for newbies are usually exempt, because they sometimes help cut back on all of the other non-helpful, waste-of-space threads. (Would you rather have one slightly-OT guide for n00bs or ten n00b threads?)
... or at least, that's usually been the rule on other forums I've frequented.
I can totally see some black and white educational movie going along with this topic. rofl
"That's good old American know-how!"

"Hilarious, with plently of WF truths. Heaven forbid the Susy Newbie if they learn nothing from this"

10/10
Lawls. I lost the style I was going for a couple times in there and picked it back up a little awkwardly.

I also made some typos. That I'll fix eventually. They aren't so horrible.
princessMeep
[love.trust.fairy.dust]

No, well written guides for newbies are usually exempt, because they sometimes help cut back on all of the other non-helpful, waste-of-space threads. (Would you rather have one slightly-OT guide for n00bs or ten n00b threads?)
... or at least, that's usually been the rule on other forums I've frequented.
'kay just wondering.

Fashionable Gekko

5,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
My head felt like rolling off reading this. And I don't believe it violates the rules for the forum, either. In all, it's to help people to make topics in the forum, and thus, legal.

Not to mention quite humorous. ^^

Entertaining and yet educating (omg! ryme! im so awsom!)

I remember my first time in Writer's forum... Was okay yet also horrible...

I was still a bit of a noob with poor people skills and presentation... Not to mention, still an awfully novice writer...
Golly gee, thanks Suzy Newbie! What a helpful and informative thread!

Are you really doing a Billy Beenaround and Regina Regular post? Please? I think the regs need some smacking too. xd

...lulz. That's EDU-TAINMENT! heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces