Welcome to Gaia! ::

Undead Elder

It seems to me that people are constantly complaining about how fantasy creatures – elves, vampires, werewolves, dragons, trolls, goblins, fairies, etc – are “overused” and “cliché”. I think that I’ve discovered the problem and it’s not so much that people are just following a stereotype staple given by certain books and movies (Anne Rice, Tolkien, etc) and not looking for inspiration in other places. The problem is that people aren’t seeing these creatures as people.

Have you ever heard of a cliché and overused “human”? I didn’t think so. Type of human, yes. The human species as a whole? No. Humans are vastly varied and human characters tend to be easier for people to make into original and relatable characters. Not only are fantasy characters rarely original, but they’re also rarely easy to relate to, and it’s not just because they’re not human and lacking in certain human qualities or ways of thinking. It’s that they don’t seem real because they all seem to come out of a certain mold.

We need to think about our fantasy species as people and individuals and not just a fantasy creature that came waltzing out of the same factory as all the rest. They have societies and developed minds able to have cognitive thought and reasoning for the most part – even animals that aren’t as “intelligent” seem to have their own personalities and mannerisms and the only mold they can ever truly fall into is how their particular species looks as a whole.

When you think of making an elven character, don't think "elf". We never think "human" when we're making a human character - we think "person" and work from there without applying stereotypes other than anatomical structure.

Quotable Flatterer

5,400 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Voter 100
Thank you!
A story of mine actually has humans as cliche and overused. Finally someone gets it!
I wholeheartedly agree. Like my cat's a lesbian whore. Most cats aren't lesbian whores.
Kelocena
I wholeheartedly agree. Like my cat's a lesbian whore. Most cats aren't lesbian whores.

Yes they are. Or at least all the ones I know.

Anywho, nice observation there Ceanothus. Its definitly a good idea to put some thought into the poor elves. Racial stereotypes are not good--especially in fantasy.

I think a good example of 'creature building' would be Salvatore's dark-elves. Sure they are a 'chliche' now, but at the time they were a great example of world building in general. The society is pretty complex and interesting. Plus it gave us Drizzt.

Just try not to get carried away. And try to put some thought into the characters, 'make em more human'.

3,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
I agree. My main character is from a race of violent Warriors. But she still feels emotion and has a personality that isn't the same as every other person in her race. They each have their own charicteristcs but simply share the same history, appearances, and culture.
frozennight
I agree. My main character is from a race of violent Warriors. But she still feels emotion and has a personality that isn't the same as every other person in her race. They each have their own charicteristcs but simply share the same history, appearances, and culture.

Yeah..like Drizzt (Its hard not too make the connection).

Hehe, anywho try to give the 'warrior culture' as much depth as you can though.

Look at real life warrior cultures (like the Mongols, Samurai and such). Try and make it as multifaceted as possible. History is your freind.
Ceanothus
It seems to me that people are constantly complaining about how fantasy creatures – elves, vampires, werewolves, dragons, trolls, goblins, fairies, etc – are “overused” and “cliché”. I think that I’ve discovered the problem and it’s not so much that people are just following a stereotype staple given by certain books and movies (Anne Rice, Tolkien, etc) and not looking for inspiration in other places. The problem is that people aren’t seeing these creatures as people.

Have you ever heard of a cliché and overused “human”? I didn’t think so. Type of human, yes. The human species as a whole? No. Humans are vastly varied and human characters tend to be easier for people to make into original and relatable characters. Not only are fantasy characters rarely original, but they’re also rarely easy to relate to, and it’s not just because they’re not human and lacking in certain human qualities or ways of thinking. It’s that they don’t seem real because they all seem to come out of a certain mold.

We need to think about our fantasy species as people and individuals and not just a fantasy creature that came waltzing out of the same factory as all the rest. They have societies and developed minds able to have cognitive thought and reasoning for the most part – even animals that aren’t as “intelligent” seem to have their own personalities and mannerisms and the only mold they can ever truly fall into is how their particular species looks as a whole.

When you think of making an elven character, don't think "elf". We never think "human" when we're making a human character - we think "person" and work from there without applying stereotypes other than anatomical structure.

Finally, someone who agrees with me! Couldn't have said it better myself.
Ionic_Warrior
Thank you!
A story of mine actually has humans as cliche and overused. Finally someone gets it!

Yeah, this one science fiction story of mine portrays humans as barbaric jerks— I don't know if that counts as cliche and overused, but it's funny, I swear.
I think one of the biggest problem is that people get stuck in the trappings on certain characters.

Oh, vampires are supposed to be dark and angsty and always hungry? I mean, WTF? Any kind of vaguely human-like creature will have some sense of normalcy and will think that way most of the time. Neither humans nor humalike creatures can tolerate being a certain way all the time, most notably upset like how a lot of them seem to be. Even in times of war there's still normalcy for the people involved. Not everything can be pain and misery and woe, or earthy friendliness, or snippyness, or whatever is the trapping for the character.

It's the same with human characters attatched to their pasts, which seems to happen in a lot of fantasy stories, only the mindset supposedly comes from a culture, not a trauma.
This reminds me of a comment I made in one of the vampire threads. I'm happy that someone else is thinking like I do.

However, I don't like when every single creature in the story is "human": that's anthropomorphism.
I agree with you Ceanothus. ^-^ Too many people don't think of their other races as 'people'. In fact, a lot of people don't even think of their different human cultures as 'people', they just slap on some cultural stereotypes and call it good.

3,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
In the past week I have been taking a break from the accual writing in order to develop the world that my character lives in. Mostly because the people were becoming people who fight just because they want to fight. So I am working on their histiry and what made them become so militaristic. Fortunately I am in a western Civ class right now and it gives me plenty of ideas.

Quote:
Yeah..like Drizzt (Its hard not too make the connection).

Hehe, anywho try to give the 'warrior culture' as much depth as you can though.

Look at real life warrior cultures (like the Mongols, Samurai and such). Try and make it as multifaceted as possible. History is your freind.

Dapper Dabbler

6,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Millionaire 200
Thank god for this post.

I wholeheartedly agree.

"....Because this guy is a tree-hugger and has pointy ears, he must this way, because he's an elf... and don't all elves act like that? They're elves after all."
What wrong with the above sentence?
Everything.

My elf-like creatures (Fae) in my fantasy are basically just adapted humans, split into different cultures and appearances across the world - just like humans. The only things they don't share with humans are long, pointed ears (a foot is the average size), and some (depending on culture and sub-race) have extreme hair, skin or eye colours (nothing like pink or blue hair, mind).
Keep in mind here that humans also have pointed ears in my novels - they're just not as long, and not swivel enough to actually be noticed. They've also grown back into the head to minimize space (Fae ears often stick straight out sideways).

Apart from that, they're all different - their cultures and ranks don't mold them as who they are - that's just stupid.

It's really quite amazing how different my Fae character's are: one is a bitter pessimist, but he's not angsty - just extremely sarcastic, sadistic and generally nasty all around. And he's not a villain either, more like an anti-hero.
Another is sweet, gentle and honorable - naive and innocent, he's really a very, very nice guy, with a lot of spirit. Optimistic and loving, the complete opposite from the last character.
And then there's Cadel - seductive, flirty and egocentric, he's a ladies man to the max, possibly even pimp-like. And he flaunts it all blatantly.

Like humans, they all different - never mind that they're not completely human, never mind they have pointy ears.

Oh yeah. My pointed ears have a reason - Fae's were the first kind of species on the planet - they're ears evolved to be so long so that they could hear the approach of predators easier (their ears can also swivel - think of a cat's). But as the race evolved and became more civilized, they grew to the top of the food chain and created tools to hunt the animals that previously hunted them.
So they traveled and evolved, spreading out across the world, and most of them no longer needed pointed, rotating ears, because they no longer had to look out for beasts that would otherwise devour them. So the ears shrunk back down after millennia - they had no use for them. They became "human".
But some still needed the ears, because, although they had tools and weapons, they were still hunted by larger, nastier animals. So they retained their ears to a degree (note that these were the ones farther South - humans generally migrated North).
Because it takes millions of ears for creatures to evolve (and this was fairly recent - say a couple thousand years), those Fae from the South that decided to travel up North into the colder, wetter regions still retain their ears (although they are a bit shorter, and less mobile than their Southern counterparts). The 'humans', who had been living for a much, much longer time up North (say a million or so years), had no large ears - Fae hailing from the south in more recent times traveled up North, and because they have been living their for only a thousand years or so, still have ears.

So they class themselves between "human" and "Fae" - there's really no difference between them, however, but over a long time their genes have been altered, because creatures are always evolving.

Pfft, why am I rambling? Anyway, I hate it when authors and writers give no excuse for their creations. I tend to take a more logical approach to these things though, and I'm quite happy with my reasons for pointy ears.

Because although I hate elves, I love pointy ears. Can't get enough of them.
Agreed. "Elf" should never be a character's defining trait.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff