Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is this thread useful?

Yes! 0.52112676056338 52.1% [ 37 ]
No! 0.056338028169014 5.6% [ 4 ]
Sort of! 0.1830985915493 18.3% [ 13 ]
Who cares? I love you, Peony! (Also known as the pollwhore option.) 0.23943661971831 23.9% [ 17 ]
Total Votes:[ 71 ]
1 2 >

Toothsome Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
If there's one thing there's plenty of in the Writers' Forum, it's criticism. Some of it is constructive, some of it not so much... and sometimes, it turns into an all-out flamewar. There are many different opinions on what construes constructive criticism, but I thought I'd put in my two cents. So, without further ado, I give you:

Peony's Pointers on Constructive Criticism

For the critics:

Remain objective. Before you start your critique, keep this in mind: nothing puts a critique more in danger of being misinterpreted or brushed off as a flame than excessive use of the personal "you". Remember, the point is to critique the story, not the person who wrote it. It's far easier for a writer to accept and analyze a critique if it's written in a non-accusatory manner.

If you liked something about the story, point it out. It's polite to let a writer know if there was something enjoyable about their work. It tells them that the critic took the time to read it and isn't just out to point out the flaws in their story and make them look bad.

Point out problems and shortcomings in a polite manner. Everyone knows about this part of a critique, right? Wrong. Some people only pay attention to the first half. Remember the first point, 'Remain objective'? It especially applies here. Writers are often very tender about their work and have a tendency to take criticism personally if it's given in a harsh fashion. Pointing out the flaws in a story is fine. Being mean about it will only bring about pain, anger, and flame-wars.

Give suggestions for improvement. Pointing out what's wrong with a story is easy, but going the extra mile and providing suggestions that will help improve a writer's work in the long run is worth the extra effort. It's one of the major differences between a good critic and a great critic.

For the writers:

Read it, take a break, then read it again. One of the most important steps to dealing with a bad or mixed review is to step away from the computer and re-read it after the initial emotional impact has worn off. When writers react solely on emotion, they can miss valid or important pointers in the critique that could help them improve their writing skills.

Make sure the criticism is really constructive. If the review is a well-thought-out response to the story that provides suggestions on how to improve it, chances are good that it's a decent piece of criticism (or at least has a couple of good points). If it's a rude, pointless rant that basically says the story is terrible without pointing out specific flaws or giving advice on how to fix said flaws, chances are good that it isn't.

Pay attention to how often problems are brought up. If one or two people comment on a specific problem, it's worth taking a look at, but not necessarily urgent. If, on the other hand, half a dozen people point out the same problem, it's probably a big and/or easily noticeable one.

Remember, not every recommendation has to be followed. In the end, it's not up to the reviewers to decide which pieces of advice are good and useful--it's up to the writer. What works for one story won't necessarily work for another. So, while it's important to pay careful attention to criticism and suggestions, it's equally important to take everything with a grain of salt.

Questions, comments and recommendations are welcomed. Also, if anyone has anything they'd like to add to my tips on giving and/or taking constructive criticism, feel free to post them. If I think they're good, and that they aren't simply rehashes of what I've already said, I'll give them an old-fashioned quoting.

Toothsome Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
[This post reserved for potential quotes and other related awesomeness.]
3, 5, and 8 kinda mention this

Kinda

Codger

The best critiques, while they include the points you've made, also include the reasons why the critic came to their particular conclusion about that particular aspect of the story (or of the story as a whole, depending). Saying, "The wording of this sentence is awkward." doesn't do much to help if the reason why it's awkward is omitted.
Writers, even if someone is blatantly flaming you and offering not one iota of constructive criticism, please remain polite. It shows that you are capable of a civil discussion even if they aren't.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Old Man Harlequin
Writers, even if someone is blatantly flaming you and offering not one iota of constructive criticism, please remain polite. It shows that you are capable of a civil discussion even if they aren't.

I beleive that's why there's an ignore button on Gaia. It's the wquivalent of putting someone on mute.
Where's the fun in ignoring someone when you can make them look ******** in comparison to yourself?

Besides that, ignoring someone doesn't mean everyone else can't see his deranged ravings. Best to show the mindless critics for what they are.
Old Man Harlequin
Where's the fun in ignoring someone when you can make them look ******** in comparison to yourself?

Besides that, ignoring someone doesn't mean everyone else can't see his deranged ravings. Best to show the mindless critics for what they are.

3nodding Yup.
As an on and off critic on here, I'm up to scrtach my your ball-points.

Awright! blaugh
For the critics, don't post nonsense. If the story sucks, say so. Just more tactfully than I have it right there. We can't improve our writing if all we get is crap like "OMG I LOVED YOUR STORY, TOTALLY AWESOME KEEP IT UP xbdguiebfjasbdjka"

Try and make your critiques grammatically correct and spelled properly. Nothing annoys me more than a review with a few excellent points when the spelling is attrocious. Avoid netspeak whenever possible. When I see that kind of thing in my reviews, it tends to lower whatever standing the critic may have had and I am less likely to take them seriously.
For the record though. I rarely see over-the-top netspeak on Gaia. It's actually very good on that front as opposed to sites like www.fanfiction.net and www.animespiral.com where I used to write, back in my obsessive anime days.
What if you re-read it 4000 times and it's just a downright INSULT and what do i do if it's really a pain in the @$$ that people are calling down your writing!!!!!
If character voice is the reason something sounds awkward, how can a writer say that it's just character voice to a beta tactfully and without sounding like they can't take constructive criticism?
+_Benibara_+
What if you re-read it 4000 times and it's just a downright INSULT and what do i do if it's really a pain in the @$$ that people are calling down your writing!!!!!

I'f you've read it over and over and over again and you can't see anything constructive at all you can...

A. Ask a friend to help extract the consructiveness out of it. I's harder for a writer themselves to find constructivesness in a bad review.

or...

B. Ask the critic to explain themselves so that you can understand and better yourself as a writer.

or...

C. Ignore it. It's your writing after all. You don't have to listen to them. That person is just one out of many and if you're enjoying what your doing than go right on doing it.

By the way, Peony kicks a** for all of the advice! Muchas Grasias!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff