User Image

CONTENTS
Intro
Worldbuilding 101
Questions for you and me
FAQ
Helpful links
User Image

Worldbuilding can be an entertaining, rewarding and intoxicating part of writing. We most strongly associate it with 'fantasy' worlds, places that are unlike our own, but worldbuilding doesn't have to be a laborious process. You don't have to build everything from scratch, although for some that can be half the fun~ It can be a subtle tweaking of existing elements to create a sense of difference about your setting, or a re-imagining of past places.

Above all, a successful world should feel real. Sometimes, that's not so easy to do. Especially in fantasy, there is a perception of 'unoriginality'; Worlds can often fall into cookie cutter Tolkien-esque, D&D copies. Worlds don't have to be original, anymore than we have to avoid cliches. But oftentimes, the closer and harder you look at your world, the richer and more interesting it will become.

So, what's the purpose of this thread? To discuss worldbuilding, of course! pirate . The pitfalls, cliches, problems, intricacies and wonders thereof. Do you have an opinion on worldbuilding? Got a problem with your world that you want advice on? Stop by the thinktank~
User Image

What? World building?
Yes. Unlike Unicron, who eats worlds (yum), you can build them instead! Like anything, however, there are key points you should consider when building a world, whether from scratch or not.

But... how do I start?
The 'starting' point for a world will be different for everone. Some people get a feeling for their world first; they imagine characters in a place, and slowly that 'place' begins to take more solid form. Othertimes it may be a specific detail or image from their world which sticks out in their mind. The image of a place or person which sets that world apart. Some people like to start by drawing a map and building countries and cultures up from that. It all depends on how your mind works and what your natural progression is. For the most part you will start with a general feeling or overview and gradually build the world up over time. There is no 'trick' to world building; everyone works in different ways.

Does your world make sense? Do you 'know' it?
The history of our world didn't just come in to existance like a pop-up book. We weren't thrown in to our present cultures and lifestyles by benevolent chance and whimsy. Cultures and history are forged by cause and effect; there are reasons and meaning behind why our world is the way it is. A made-up world is no different. "Just because..." should never be your primary explanation for something. You should always endevour to ask yourself why.

This can be something of a pitfall, however. If you neglect to probe your world, it may be underdeveloped and shallow. Characters based in a very shallow world will make the story come off second best, because the reader will never feel immersed in your world. Obversely, if you seek to understand every little nuance, you may become bogged down by unecessary detail. Some worldbuilders get engrossed in their creation to the point where the story becomes the world itself. Characters take a backseat to further world delving. Like the writing of prose itself, worldbuilding is subject to the right balance of elements. It is necessary to get a feel for your world so it doesn't come off as shallow, but it is both unecessary and impossible to know everything. Focus on what is important to your characters and the story at hand.

Be consistent. Know your culture
Sometimes it's the little things which make a world unique and lively. Sometimes we can take the conventions of our world for granted, without questioning how they came to be, or how they might be different. If your world has no concept of 'hell' or damnation, what might their swearing sound like? If your world has no 7-day creation mythos, what might their calendar look like? If your world is rare in metals, how might they build their houses or wage warfare? How is your world shaped by its differences to our own? A successful world doesn't have to be one that re-writes everything, but rather, one that really embraces the differences it does have.

...and your geography
Unless there is a real reason behind it, worlds are still subject to certain established laws. Water is wet, rivers flow downhill, and so on. Maps are fun, but believe me, sometimes the simple things can pass you by. Like accurate geography. Research, my fellow worldbuilders, is your friend. Part of the fun of worldbuilding is that you can make things up. But they still have to make sense. Especially if you are basing your world on past cultures and places, it really pays off to take the time and actually research those things. And no, Wikipedia is not the answer to everything. Real, honest to goodness library research, people. If you don't know it, there's no harm to your pride in looking it up. After all, you are creating a world, and that's no easy task.
User Image

This is where a list of previously asked questions from the World Building game are compiled, as inspiration for those who need some ideas or just want to poke holes in their existing world.

Politics and War
  • When was the last war fought in your world, and why?
  • What kind of political system(s) does your world have and how does this affect the characters?
  • What treaties/wars are there in your world?
  • Does your world have an armed forces, and if so, how is it structured? For what reason does it exist, and are the army and law enforcement seperate from eachother?
  • Any notable wetworks or espionage going on that the public shouldn't hear about?

Magic and Technology
  • If there's magic in your world, how prevalent is it and how does it affect the cultures and societies of your characters?
  • Describe a magical or near magical feature of your world, it can be animal or object.
  • Is there a dominance of magic or technology in your culture? Describe the height (or advancement) of it, please.
  • What is the main source of energy in your world? How do the people of your world obtain such energy?
  • What would you say the level of technology in your world was? Does it excel in any particular area, and are there any technologies that are unique or highly influential to your world?

Geology and the Built Environment
  • In your world, how connected are people to each other. For example, does it take days to travel a few miles, or are trips across the entire span of the world commonplace?
  • What's the climate like in your world? Do you stick to the recognisable seasonal pattern, or it is very different?
  • What sort of natural catastrophes do your people have to deal with, and how do they deal with them? Have any superstitions or traditions arisen from natural phenomena?
  • What is the status of your world? Are there any major environmental issues that affect how your characters have to live or survive?
  • Does your world have any large water systems or bodies of water? Are these seen as obstacles/natural barriers, or are they an important part of your worlds culture? (eg, your world may rely heavily on river systems, or may be a series of islands to which the ocean is an ever-present part of life)
  • What does an everyday home look like in your world? How is it furnished, what are the different rooms used for, or does it have rooms at all? What is the size of an average household?
  • What would you consider to be the capital city of your world? Has it always been the capital, or has it shifted over time?
  • Chose one domain of power. What are the conditions of its roads? It is said that well kept roads equal a well kept nation, so how well kept are they? How common is travel and who does the most traveling? Is it safe to step off the beaten path, or even, is it safe to stay on it?

People and Life
  • Give a detailed example of an inhabitants daily life.
  • What are the major drives for your people, what makes them want to wake up in their world?
  • I am a foreign dignitary, sent as an envoy to your country. Where do you take me to dine, and what do we eat?
  • I am a man on the street. I'm looking for something to eat, just a quick bite. Where do I go and what is available?
  • How long have there been people on this world? Did they evolve, were they created by the gods, or did they migrate from somewhere else? If there are non-humans, how long have they been around and where did they come from?
  • I'm just a guy (or girl) out for a good time. Where should I go and what do I do there?

Religion
  • What type/types of religions does your world have? (animism, polytheism, antheism, agnositcism, gnosticism, monotheism, lumentheism)
  • How does the religious community feature in your world? Does the church function as the government or is there a separation of church or state? Also, how do the people view the members of the religion?
  • How much does faith affect the actions of governments? If there are real and tangible gods in your world, do they directly intervene with politics? If faith is more blurry, how much power do religious institutions have over the government, and how does this reflect in everyday life?
  • How important is religion in your world? Is it left to the individual or is it controlled by the ruling powers?

Race, Gender and Equality
  • Does your world have one dominant race/species/group of people, or do its citizens tend to cooperate?
  • How do the people in your world react to those who do not want to conform?
  • What social classes are there in your world, and are any groups discriminated against?
  • How are same sex relationships or unions viewed in your world? (Socially accepted, taboo, illegal?)
  • Are the sexes viewed as equal in your world? Explain why or why not (eg, historical precedent, politics, religion)
  • Has slavery ever been a part of your society? If not, what are your societies views on it?
  • What are your societies views on children born out of wedlock? Is marriage an important part of building a family with regards to legitimacy? For example, would the child of a sole parent born out of wedlock be treated any different to the child of two married people?

Law
  • What is considered taboo in one of your cultures and why?
  • Are there any unusual, or at least different to Earth's, actions or possessions that would carry a sentence? What are the social/legal no-nos of your world?
  • What is the punishment for theft? If it depends, what does it depend on?
  • How is the law enforced in your land, and by whom? Is there a wide stretching 'police' force, or would rural areas have to rely on vigilantism? How are law enforcement officers viewed in your world?
  • What is society's opinion on killing, stealing, and rape? Do the laws treat them equally, or change depending on circumstance, such as who did what to whom or why? What is the process of deciding guilt and what punishment is common?
  • What kind of Judiciary system does your world have?

Culture and Education
  • What is socially acceptable and unacceptable regarding love, sex, and family in your world and what might cause this to change?
  • What is society's opinion on "family" "nationality" "religion" or "loyalty"? If you have more than one society you might want to pick a single one. What should a person be most loyal to, and what values are most important to that society?
  • What languages do people talk in your world? Have you made up a whole new language? Do they have several languages or just one big common language?
  • What type of clothing do your people choose to wear, and is the weather always suitable?
  • What ceremonies or beliefs does you society hold when it comes to death? (eg; burial practices, notions of an afterlife, martyrdom)
  • What are the rituals or ceremonies surrounding marriage? Is its significance primarily religious or civil? (Ie; a religious ceremony vs a matter of law)
  • How important are the arts (music, writing, art) to your society?
  • What are some of the finest examples of your world's culture, music, art, and drama? What kind of place is it and what is there?
  • What sort of education system does your world have? Is it accessible to all, or reserved for an elite class?

Business and Commerce
  • Are there any unusual professions in your world, or jobs that do not exist in our own society? How does one obtain this position, and what role does it play in your world?
  • Describe an item that is rare or highly sought after in your world, and explain why.
  • What is the main form of goods transportation in your world? Describe a main export and import of one region.
  • I am a person of business looking to transport goods to a major city. How would I go about this in the most efficient manner, and would I need any protection for my cargo? Is it safe or am I likely to be robbed?
  • What sort of currencies do the cultures in your world use and how are they figured?
User Image

Hey! I've seen that globe before. This is just a rehash of that world game thing.
Well, uh, you would be right, for the most part. The World Building Game thread was moved as part of the new Writers Forum rules. This thread is a re-envisioning of that thread. It's no longer a game, but the same spirit of worldbuilding remains~

I have a question/problem with world building. Can I ask you guys for help?
Yes~! Please do. We would he happy to help you and discuss the finer points of world building.

This is kind of a short FAQ
Yes... yes it is. Ask a question and help make it longer! :V
Safety reserve #1
Safety reserve #2
Content would be nice. 3nodding

I was disappointed when the World-Building Game disappeared. So much potential. Glad you've got the questions up here though. They'll definitely come in handy. Guess I'll subscribe.
It lives! :V (Woreking on Worldbuilding 101...)

[edit] Yay! People. The spirit of the World Building game lives on.

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
Uh, do you want to ask questions or what?

Yeah, I'm kind of dumb and easily confusable.
Ace of Shadows
Uh, do you want to ask questions or what?

Yeah, I'm kind of dumb and easily confusable.

This thread is for general wolrdbuilding discussion and discourse. You can also ask specific questions of your own if you need help with your world 3nodding (Kind of like the Ideas thinktank, but for worldbuilding)
So this is a bit like the Idea Box/Think Tank now? :0

Are those the questions from both versions of the game, or just the new version?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff