Welcome to Gaia! ::

In the past few days, I have seen numerous amounts of summaries. Not to say that there aren't always summaries found somewhere, but they seem to be on a rise as of late.

There's one major problem with most of them, though. They choose to disregard two huge factors of a good summary- spelling and grammar. This is a problem that is found beyond the Writer's Forum, also. Many times I'll be looking for a good story online, and the summary will be filled with horrible spelling mistakes and grammatical error.

I will never make a second glance at any of these.

Many people write off these errors as, 'I was rushing,' or, 'I was busy' or, my favorite, 'It's just a summary!'

The last is the biggest underestimation I've heard in a long while. I'm going to write this next part in big font, so that the point gets across.

Summaries are half the story!

People who value good writing will never even give the slightest thought to a story with a bad summary! The summary is your entire marketing strategy!

Oh, so you just wanted to know how your plot is? You don't actually write stories like that?

So? Why should anyone help you out with a plot, when you obviously don't care enough about it to put in the effort to type out your words? The first, and possibly the only thing someone will tell you is:

'Try commas and periods. Also use spell check if you're a bad speller.'

Or something along those lines. If you care about your story at all, then care enough to make it look like we might consider reading it.

As an editor and a writer I find it insulting that people who supposedly care deeply about their writing can't find it in them to use proper spelling and grammar. I believe I speak on behalf of many with that statement.

Lastly, if you didn't write your summary well and someone points out mistakes, don't make and edit saying, "I WAS BUSY AND THAT'S WHY IT'S NOT GOOD GRAMMAR!" Edit the summary! That way people will actually, you know, care about the plot and not about the grammar. Because the grammar will be correct.

So, please, if you're planning on asking for help or advice with plots- or giving a summary for your latest work- then show us you care. Show us something we want to read. Don't show us jumbled up consonants with no form of punctuation.

Thank you.

Toothsome Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
I second this. There are probably all sorts of potentially decent stories I've passed up on fanfiction.net or fictionpress.com because the summaries were poorly presented. xp
Quite possibly the most annoying to me is when they end their summaries with 'Please read, my story is much better than my summary, I swear'. Like I'm going to stick around and find out.
"this is a IxK fic srry i suck at summaries!"

No one, I repeat, no one is going to read your story if you say you suck at summaries. Why? Because it denotes two things:

1. If you are incapable of summing up your plot in a few words, there is A) no plot at all or B) a plot that doesn't make much sense.

2. If you cannot write a summary properly, then you must not be able to write your story very well either. After all, the summary is only one or two sentences. If you butcher that, how is the actual thing going to be any better?

Don't apologize for writing the story. Don't tell them you suck at writing. It basically kills all your chances of getting it read. I'd rather see a "bad" summary (how can summaries be bad anyway, when they're so short?) than one that says "please read this i don't have a summary because i suck at them ok thanx". Yeah, um, why don't you just tell me what goes on in the stupid thing instead?
It's really sad how many people don't realize this.
Luzerne

No one, I repeat, no one is going to read your story if you say you suck at summaries. Why? Because it denotes two things:

1. If you are incapable of summing up your plot in a few words, there is A) no plot at all or B) a plot that doesn't make much sense.

2. If you cannot write a summary properly, then you must not be able to write your story very well either. After all, the summary is only one or two sentences. If you butcher that, how is the actual thing going to be any better?

Don't apologize for writing the story. Don't tell them you suck at writing. It basically kills all your chances of getting it read. I'd rather see a "bad" summary (how can summaries be bad anyway, when they're so short?) than one that says "please read this i don't have a summary because i suck at them ok thanx". Yeah, um, why don't you just tell me what goes on in the stupid thing instead?

Case in point! XD People who sit there and say "I know my writings bad...blahblahblah" if you know, then why don't you try an fix it? You can ask your friends for open opinions on your work, and say "Can you tell me if there's anything to fix on this?" I'm sure that they'll be glad to help!
This is so ******** true.

I hate it when noobs post their "summary" and ask for feedback when just looking at it makes me want to lobotomize the author and/or myself.

I'm all riled just thinking about it.

Grammar and punctuation are univerally important, except for in law enforcement instant messages and the sort of s**t that just doesn't happen on an internet forum.

Believe it or be judged.

I JUDGE.
Luzerne

I think there is a point where it's really difficult to write such a short summary. However, there's a HUGE gap between writing a really good summary, and a summary people don't GAG at. xD
Zoeidina
Luzerne

I think there is a point where it's really difficult to write such a short summary. However, there's a HUGE gap between writing a really good summary, and a summary people don't GAG at. xD

I assumed you were speaking of fanfiction.net and fictionpress, where they only let you write one or two sentences (and sometimes the summary gets cut off anyway even though you're below the word count).

It's really hard to screw up, honestly. You should know the basic premise before you start your story; all you need to do is put it in a sentence. It might be harder to think up what it is than actually write it out. It might not be homigod AMAZING but rarely does one simple phrase stand out like that anyway. Unless you type "gorge kontumplaytez lief, luv && pinnaplez" then it can't possibly be bad. Incomplete, maybe, but not bad.
Luzerne
Zoeidina
Luzerne

I assumed you were speaking of fanfiction.net and fictionpress, where they only let you write one or two sentences (and sometimes the summary gets cut off anyway even though you're below the word count).

It's really hard to screw up, honestly. You should know the basic premise before you start your story; all you need to do is put it in a sentence. It might be harder to think up what it is than actually write it out. It might not be homigod AMAZING but rarely does one simple phrase stand out like that anyway. Unless you type "gorge kontumplaytez lief, luv && pinnaplez" then it can't possibly be bad. Incomplete, maybe, but not bad.
I was speaking of both. I was actually saying that it's hard to write a really GREAT summary in two, three sentences. Bad communication on my part, sorry. But yeah, you should be able to write a basic premise in three lines rather than:

"Blah Blah died and Blah blah helped and STORY IS BTTR DEN SUMMRY!"

That's just sad.
I know just what you mean. I, for one, read a lot of fiction from the internet and I know that when I see a story less than satisfactory summary I just zip straight past it.
THANK-YOU!

I too find it aggravating when people post summaries that are nearly impossible to read. When they do that, I'm not paying attention to how good the plot may be, I'm just thinking they're a total idiot and a noob.

First impressions are very important, and in a story, your summary is the first thing somone reads.
Authors several centuries ago used to use punctuation as a continuation of their thought. A period placed instead of a comma would symbolize finality, a definite stopping of thought. In places where the idea was not so final a semi colon would be used rather than stopping the sentence completely. The lack of a comma in a place where a comma should be was sometimes used to show urgency. A man called Don Marquis wrote a series or stories about a cat and a cockroach. Through the entire story there was no punctuation or capital letters because the cockroach would hurl his body at the keys to work the typewriter, since he had only one body, he couldn't shift the keys to make certain characters. In those stories the punctuation(or lack thereof) was as important as the plot.
Look at me talking about punctuation and grammar when I can't even remember to separate paragraphs. rofl

Eloquent Hunter

To those who are railing against those who say they can't write summaries well:

It's hard to write a summary that doesn't sound bad. Honestly, every time I want to sum up my story, it's not that I can't write out the summary, and eloquently as well, it's that most stoyies, in sum, sound pretty ridiculous.

I'm not saying that that's a reason to not write a summary, or not put effort into it. Rather, some people are of the realization that every summarized plot sounds trite, and that writing style and details carry stories, for the most part.

And eh, if it's written in bad grammar and spelling, I'm willing to assume that the story is pretty bad, but simply saying, "My story is more interesting than my summary" is pretty much true on multiple levels. If the summary is more interesting (or as interesting) as the story, I'd say there's a problem.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff