Welcome to Gaia! ::

In fiction, humans do not monopolize the human condition, so they've got to move over and make room for the androids, vampires, elves, incubi, succubi, ghosts, dwarves, orcs (or susbstitutes), pixies, fays, tanuki, djinn, dragons, nagas, werewolves and other werewhatevers, cyborgs, AIs, shinigami, demons, aliens, angels, sandmen, toothfairies, Santa Claus, and all sorts of other supernatural and otherworldly folk.

I mean really. These can all make excellent, non-crappy characters if you try and actually look at it all logically and not just write for wishfufillment.

First of all, it's refreshing to write these characters, even if you do normally write human characters, the idea being that you get instant plot. As soon as you, the writer, are thrust into empathizing with something so different from you, you will immediately find problems that the character has to put up with. It gives you a new perspective on human culture if this character is in human culture and not among their own, too.

Such as X-89 the android, who's human enough and tries to masquerade around as a human. Now, he's probably not producing body heat, or if he is, it shouldn't be there because of his internal fans to cool down his circutry. This could cause problems if he's ever in really close proximity with people who would notice. Also, what about those ports and outlets for cables? Where are they? If they're anywhere people would be likely to see, he's going to have to go around conservatively dressed. What does he run on? If it's electricity, could he cause a power surge if he plugs himself into a place that's not prepared for it? There's also the issue of clothing, too. People would start to notice if you wear the same thing every day, even though the android himself wouldn't mind. What if he gets injured? Does he not want to be discovered? Also, there's the whole issue of your brain being able to be copied, rewritten, backed up, and of the like...

Secondly, if you want this to be any good whatsoever, you're going to have to think very hard, especially if you're writing a nonhuman society. Now, this is a very good thing, and can be a very good satirical tool. Just look at the movie Happy Feet.

You've made a society of sandmen, goody, and they live in somewhere called the dream realm. Okay, now what's this place like? If you just use, oh it's made of dreams, it's crazy, never constant, etc., well, what's it like to live there? Do they like living there? Why do they distribute dreams in the fist place? Is it a pasttime and they acutally earn their bread in the dream realm during the day, or is it an actual job? Are there any sandwomen that stay in the dream realm and make the dinner after their hubbies come home, or are they all men? If they're all men, then how do they reproduce? Do they reproduce? Are they all gay? How do they get dreams from the dream realm to the human one? What causes a nightmare?

There are a lot of things to consider, and even though there are a lot of things to consider while writing humans, it's more obvious that you have to consider them when writing nonhumans, and that makes them easier to remember considering.

It can also cause all sorts of relationship issues, especially with, though you'd hate to hear it, romances between very humanoid characters and humans.

Billy's a teenage werewolf, let's say, and every night of the full moon he uses Mr. Winchester's, that crazy veteran's, nuclear bunker. Now, does Mr. Winchester know about this? What happens if he doesn't and finds out about it? What happens if Mr. Winchester is in the bunker one night? Could Billy have killed him? Also, let's say that Billy gets a girlfriend. They set up a date on a night that conflicts with being a werewolf. Okay, he works something out. But after a couple months, if his girlfriend has any brains at all (if she doesn't this would become a comedy), she's going to notice something. Okay, he finally tells her that she's a werewolf. If he can get her to believe it, and she doesn't mind too much, she's probably going to be thinking, "then what about vampires?" And what about when she finds out what happened to Mr. Winchester?

I'm... This is not a very coherent rant, I do realize. But I hope I got my point across. A nonhuman character with good characterization and good storytelling can be a great story and good for reviving the writer who just can't seem to think of anything to write anymore. They're plotbunny aphrodisiac, basically, so don't hate them and don't avoid them like the plague. They can be your friends if you just try.
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with a nonhuman character.

It's just that a lot of people are sick and tired of the OMG SUPER SPESHUL main character who's a vampire elf angel with ninja skills who everyone loves. Or just the fact that many writers seem to feel they need to make their characters somehow 'extraordinary', when there's nothing wrong with the everyday.

Most rants here essentially boils down to "cliches and overdone things suck; stop it". But in a much more entertaining way.
Spatterdash

It's just that a lot of people are sick and tired of the OMG SUPER SPESHUL main character who's a vampire elf angel with ninja skills who everyone loves. Or just the fact that many writers seem to feel they need to make their characters somehow 'extraordinary', when there's nothing wrong with the everyday.

Most rants here essentially boils down to "cliches and overdone things suck; stop it". But in a much more entertaining way.

how oh so very true.
The stigma against non-human characters is essentially what you have stated.

There is an automatic belief that since ________ isn't human he doesn't have to follow the rules of human society or be relatable in the normal means. However I think we all would look at such a character and not being able to understand his world... would be automatically be put off.

That is in essence the difficulty of having a main character that is non-human. How do you humanize him to a level or readability without making your elf simply a human with weird ears?
The Maljax is Me

There is an automatic belief that since ________ isn't human he doesn't have to follow the rules of human society or be relatable in the normal means. However I think we all would look at such a character and not being able to understand his world... would be automatically be put off.

That is in essence the difficulty of having a main character that is non-human. How do you humanize him to a level or readability without making your elf simply a human with weird ears.

It's quite easy to make an elf not a human with weird ears. What about German elves, the ones that sit on your stomach and give you nightmares? They would certainly have some interesting stories to tell. How do they break into houses at night? What happens if the person isn't asleep and someone notices?
Remember this, young writers of Gaia. It's not about what you use in your story: it's about how you use it.

JRR Tolkien, for example, when writing LOTR, used the biggest ******** cliché plot ever: the world is endangered, and a single dude must come over and save the day. Yet his work was kickass enough to start the whole fantasy genre. Why? Because Tolkien was as much of a kickass writer as people like Jules Verne or Gabriel García Márquez. By creating a whole new world, with a culture, 3 different races, and by making one of these people speak in jumbled up Estonian, he managed to earn the respect of everybody who saw his job. The Silmarillion, a collection of unfinished notes and short stories gathered by JRR's son Christopher Tolkien upon his father's death, boosted up the respect they have for him even more, by creating an entire treaty of fictional history, complete with mythology, legends and anecdotes.

So don't be afraid of using humans and non-humans. As long as your story is well written, you should have nothing to worry about.
x_haphazard_x
The Maljax is Me

That is in essence the difficulty of having a main character that is non-human. How do you humanize him to a level or readability without making your elf simply a human with weird ears.

It's quite easy to make an elf not a human with weird ears. What about German elves, the ones that sit on your stomach and give you nightmares? They would certainly have some interesting stories to tell. How do they break into houses at night? What happens if the person isn't asleep and someone notices?

Sadly the elves I have had to read recently are bastardizations of Legolas.

Take this little german fellow and write him well, I will read. But if he is given full range to sit on your stomach simply because he is not human I will put it down. If he can sit on your stomach because he is an elf that must look into your eyes and see the horror that he has caused because he is an eye-looking-horror-causing-german-elf in the midst of a society that has become desensitized and this is why he sits on your stomach... I'm going to keep the book open.

A story written about a little german elf because the author just wanted to throw in a little german elf will not interest me. Give me that extra characterization and I am all yours. Because he is not an elf, he is a character.
x_haphazard_x
What about German elves, the ones that sit on your stomach and give you nightmares? They would certainly have some interesting stories to tell. How do they break into houses at night? What happens if the person isn't asleep and someone notices?
If only someone were to actually write about those elves instead of replaying Tolkien's s**t over and over which I have to admit I didn't like too much the FIRST time I saw.

Tolkien didn't start fantasy, Da_nuke. He just put it in a rut which it hasn't been able to climb out of.
Axioma
x_haphazard_x
What about German elves, the ones that sit on your stomach and give you nightmares? They would certainly have some interesting stories to tell. How do they break into houses at night? What happens if the person isn't asleep and someone notices?
If only someone were to actually write about those elves instead of replaying Tolkien's s**t over and over which I have to admit I didn't like too much the FIRST time I saw.

Tolkien didn't start fantasy, Da_nuke. He just put it in a rut which it hasn't been able to climb out of.

AMEN!

(By the way.... I love the little German elves. I reccomend Otter Soldiers as an excellent representation of the not so normal elf. In fact... they're in cahoots with worms, crows, and raisins to control the world. It's a strange comic. But it supplies a rather non-Tolkien approach that I fell in love with immediately.)
Why are you asking questions you obviously know the answer to?

The fact of the matter is that most people are shitty writers, and they'll try to sell a character simply on the fact that they are non-human. I hate reading peoples writing where there is an elf, where they could be a perfectly good human. They're no more intelligent, they're no more beautiful, and they're no more resourceful.

As far as I'm concerned, especially in fantasy writing, non-human characters should not be part of what has become the standard formula. If the fact that they're a specific species doesn't further the plot in some way (eg. an elf character who posesses knowledge of strictly kept elf-lore needed to continue an adventure), you'd might as well just write a human.

Where Lord of the Rings is concerned, the different races represent more than simply themselves. The fact that Frodo and Sam, our heros, are hobbits - small in stature, not particularly bright, and rather slow paced, are courageous enough to venture into Mordor and save the world symbolizes the message that anybody, no matter their physical appearance, is capable of accomplishing whatever they put their mind too.

That made me laugh really hard for some reason. neutral
Waz

Where Lord of the Rings is concerned, the different races represent more than simply themselves. The fact that Frodo and Sam, our heros, are hobbits - small in stature, not particularly bright, and rather slow paced, are courageous enough to venture into Mordor and save the world symbolizes the message that anybody, no matter their physical appearance, is capable of accomplishing whatever they put their mind too.
While a thousand elves preform their daily ritual of Being Better And Prettier Than You in the background.
Spatterdash

I agree strongly.
Axioma
Waz

While a thousand elves preform their daily ritual of Being Better And Prettier Than You in the background.

AHAH, good point.

Codger

Axioma

I agree, but at the same time, there are some writers who manage to take the generic fantasy setting and make it interesting, simply because they know how to tell a story. Barbara Hambly, Carol Berg, Elizabeth Willey, Melanie Rawn, and Stephen R Donaldson are excellent examples of writers who have the ability to take a basic fantasy world and still retain a feeling of, "This is new."

But for the topic at hand, this and Dark_Lady_Jade's equivalent thread essentially come down to the fact that characters must have depth to be interesting. Just being a human or nonhuman doesn't mean anything if there's no depth to accompany it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff