Welcome to Gaia! ::

First things first: Please, remember to treat this topic with some level of maturity. No "EW, THAT'S GROSS!" please. If you don't have something to say that does not further the descussion of the topic, then please, refrain from replying.

Love: An Expedition into the Emotions and Sexuality of Our Characters!

Like all good writers, we begin character creation by looking at the human condition:

We find ourselves, tiny specks, toddling along through the heretofore uncharted backwaters of the obscure concept of love. Love, it is a thing never to be grasped by the sons of man. Simply, it is the sugary-sweet essence of the future , which oozes so daintily from the dreams of girls while they are young. Love is a thing that has become so ruined through years and years of idealization, of daydreams and night-dreams, that it has become a thing that we, as human beings, will never attain to its fullest extent. Why? Because of expectation! Expectation! Love has become something that we expect to happen, and so we have no idea any longer how to go about making it happen. So, here we are, dogpaddling our way through these roaring waters, unable to cope with the consequences of what may or may not happen to our fragile heartstrings throughout this journey.

So too must our characters be unaware of what the hell they’re getting themselves into. What do we, as writers, put our characters through to portray this state of uncertainty, and further deepen that character‘s personality through said events? What are our methods of bringing about these intense, and confusing emotions? An abusive relationship? Loosing someone important to them? Falling in “love”, then having them realize that it wasn’t all it was cracked-up to be? These methods might work in a pinch, but we have to realize that they are all clichéd circumstances that every writer, at some point or another, falls back on.

The old ways might still work well, but we need to strive to discover new ways. To further develop the character, we must also remember that there are many fetishes that we may use. Not the same-old-same-old. Think people! When was the last time the enthusiastic environmentalist was seen masturbating to pictures of his beloved trees? When was the last time our dedicated zookeeper fell madly in love with Bertha the Gorilla, bringing her flowers and candy every day? What if he found out that Bertha was having a secret affair with Bob the Gorilla? How would he act? Would he retaliate?

Be bold. We all know that there are some twisted people in this world, and we have all written characters with twisted personalities, so why not take things one step further? Twisted concepts of morality, a twisted view of reality…where are the twisted concepts of love? Sure, we have straight, bisexual, and homosexual that we see all the time, but how long will those limited choices keep us or our characters happy? There are many frontiers of emotional weirdness that no one has even scratched the surface of! Let’s start exploring our characters’ emotions and sexuality further.

I say "NAY!" to boring character relationships!

I am challenging everyone to think of at least one scenario that has not been seen before! Have at it!

Now quotes from members who have replied to this thread that are helpful to the topic, and further the actual discussion; for your viewing pleasure, so you don't have to read back any amount of pages.:

Endrael
Normal relationships can be just as engrossing as odd ones, provided they're well written. This, of course, holds true for any writing. I've lost track of the number of bizarre relationship stories the I've turned away from because they were just boring or poorly written. Even torture and snuff can be engrossing, despite their abhorent nature, if they're written well enough, and I cite Poppy Z Brite's Exquisite Corpse as a prime example.

*Edit: Remember, according to Frued's theories, the only abnormal sexual relationship is having none at all.*

Let me remind you all that spam posts will not be tolerated in this thread. By this, I mean posts containing only emoticons, or less than a full sentence pertaining to the topic of this thread.
I am suddenly reminded of the "love" scene from Evil Dead. Tree, indeed.

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
I'd much rather stear clear of bestiality, as it's not something I want to write about, or even think about on a regular basis. Just because something is normal doesn't mean it's boring.
Ace of Shadows
I'd much rather stear clear of bestiality, as it's not something I want to write about, or even think about on a regular basis. Just because something is normal doesn't mean it's boring.

Something doesn't have to be boring to be over-used. All I'm asking for is a little more variety. I don't think that's too much to ask.
There better be some ostrich sex or ******** in this thread and fast.
tl;dr

But I'm going to assume it's good. Obligitory back-pat and the like.
Don't forget necrophilia. That's always an interesting issue to explore.

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
Random NaySayer
Ace of Shadows

Something doesn't have to be boring to be over-used. All I'm asking for is a little more variety. I don't think that's too much to ask.

The question is how many people are willing to write zookeeper and monkey love? And tree masturbation? That seems like a fairly narrow niche to me. Although I'm sure there are some opportunities presented in the more mainstream options as well, if an author decided to take that path.

And this last post makes it sound like you're demanding it of us.

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
Ostrich Sex and Tequila
Don't forget necrophilia. That's always an interesting issue to explore.

It's an issue I think more vampire novels should explore. Vampire romances would be a lot more interesting if they took a serious look at that issue and its implications.
Here is something. In my Victorian tale, Tales of Morbid Curiosity and Deranged Love, I started out with the usual, Girl dresses as boy to get a common job and falls in love with Nobel girl and is told it can never be. Now for the twisted part. Nobel girl dies horribly and common girl get's upset by this. Mother of Nobel girl is a mad scientist that brings back the Nobel girl as a Frankenstein like creature. Common girl does not know her love is still alive and while walking around town depressed stumbles across a red book of black arts. The book offers a way to bring her love back to life, but she is already alive again, so the spell goes wrong and the girl is killed in the process, having her head cut off by a passing cart. Mad Scientist mother finds the head and stuffs the brain into a teddy bear and tells her daughter she must marry the bear, not realizing that it is the brain of a girl that she used. Now Frankenstein girl and Teddy bear are reunited, but now are both undead. *takes a deep breath* Note this story is already finished and in a publishers hands.

Another story has a young girl who falls in love with an angel of death. When the parents of the angel find out about this relationship they get angry and banish the angel to live as a mortal and to punish her even more then erase the girl’s memories of their love. So now she spends her life with the angel as her best friend, who is struggling with her love for the girl.

Another deals with a girl who falls in love with her best friend and another girl, who is psychically linked to the main character and lives 5 years in the future.

Those are just two example of some of the twisted relationships in my stories.

Jaa ne

Kat
Hmm. I haven't worked on my science fiction project for quite a while, but there's quite a lot of ******** going on there. Once the lines between human and computer are blurred enough, nobody really knows or cares whether what you're bonking is a complete organic being, a robot, some virtual creation or some mixture.
Necrophilia is deligtfully morbid, and thus interesting.

I can visualise the scene now: A man whose wife has died, and who can not bring himself to admit it. So he dresses up the corpse and sets her up in chairs around the house and talks to her, and at night he takes her to bed with him.
Ace of Shadows

The question is how many people are willing to write zookeeper and monkey love? And tree masturbation? That seems like a fairly narrow niche to me. Although I'm sure there are some opportunities presented in the more mainstream options as well, if an author decided to take that path.

Those were just examples off the top of my head. Not anything I expect to see in a story any time soon.
Axioma
Necrophilia is deligtfully morbid, and thus interesting.

I can visualise the scene now: A man whose wife has died, and who can not bring himself to admit it. So he dresses up the corpse and sets her up in chairs around the house and talks to her, and at night he takes her to bed with him.

There is a Rammstein song with a similar theme. Here's the lyrics translated into English:

Unofficial Translation ©2006 Jeremy Williams

People see him creeping around the church
he has been alone for a year
The sadness took away all his senses
he sleeps every night by her grave

There, by the bells sleeps a stone
and I alone can read it
and on the fence, the red rooster
who was your heart at that time

The fear skewered on this fence
I now go digging every night
to see what's left