Welcome to Gaia! ::

Warning: This thread is about writing sex. If you do not like it, please leave without making yourself look like a narrow-minded a**.

Warning: This rant is in not way meant to be erotic.
Misconceptions of how sex works

Sex itself is not magical. It is an activity, a pastime, a way to kill time, etc. Like all activities, from sewing to eating, to bungee jumping, sex can be a wonderful, epiphany, magical experience based on why one does it and who they do it with.

Sex cannot cure psychological problems. Eating can’t cure it. Sewing cant’ cure it. Bungee jumping can’t cure it. Unlike causing psychological problems, curing takes time. Granted all of these can be catalysts and effectively HELP the cure, but they are not the cure themselves.
Smut basics

You as a writer have power over people’s minds. You can shoot a puppy and make people laugh, cry, puke, or get off.

But your readers aren’t psychic. There is no big glowing sign saying ‘applause’ or ‘ovation.’ You have to make that. You have to put emotions in the text and especially the subtext for the readers to pick up on.

I have read bad smut and good smut and stuff in between. The difference is in the writing. I have read boring smut. The difference between the boring an the interesting depends on the story (this part will be addressed later. Boring smut has always trumped bad smut in quantity and the reason is the subtext.

When evoking feeling form the audience, they don’t want things to be blatant. When making a movie, tricks such as lighting, lenses, music, and colors are used to alter the audience’s mood. Similar tricks can be used in writing. Use words that match the tone you want to convey and look at the connotations as well as the denotations of the words you use.

Since your main goal is to evoke a feeling, it is probably best to use some words that hold the heaviest connotations: adjectives and adverbs. Sex scenes of any kind, romantic, emotionally explosive, bittersweet, cruel, fun, or anything else require a lot of description and imagery, be it in mood, action, or analogy.

Be careful, though. Using adjectives and adverbs can make your writing more purple than passionate and can ruin not just the sex scene, but the whole damn story.

Endrael

Subtext and behavior are god in conveying love. Flower speeches are just flowery speeches, but when you have actions and emotion to back it up, then it becomes real for people. This is why Romeo & Juliet fails, or at least Hollywood portrayals of it. All the love is portrayed through flowery speeches and no real actions. You can talk about love all you like, but if you then go out and kill someone, which action are people going to pay more attention to?

Take the puppy example again. Your characters and your audience can, in fact, react completely differently to this scene.

You can in fact do two things at once and magically make the whole thing more powerful, when done right. You can manipulate the feelings of your characters and your audience simultaneously with different results.
Your subtext has to convey how your characters feel and how your audience should feel in a different way. The audiences emotions are affected by both what happened and your characters actions. Although your plot or other characters aren’t that far in the story, your audience is. Your audience is reacting to the puppy and your character’s actions about the puppy. Your characters or your plot isn’t yet reacting to your characters reactions.

This is very important to consider when writing anything, but it always pertains to sex scenes.

Edit: If you're going for titilation, a sex scene is often 'hot' due to foreplay. Foreplay can be everything from talking to mood to mannerisms. There are tiny, tiny things that can be romantic, and there are tiny, tiny things that can be very very hot.
Power play and relationships

If you disagree about sex being about powerplay, please check out Dan Savage's Savage Garden, but only if you are of age.

Sex is about power and whose in charge. But just because you’re ‘on top’ doesn’t mean you’re on top. Sex is about trust. Either you trust someone to do something to you or they trust you to let them.

Consensual sex is about exploring whatever you’re both comfortable with exploring and not having to worry. Consensual sex is about freedom. Both (or more) people are free to let whatever happens happen and free to ask for it all to stop for whatever reason they want and trust that no harm will come to them if they ask such.

There are six types of power play roles:

Consensual bottom:

A conceptual bottom likes to trust the consensual top to know exactly what they like. They put their happiness in someone else’s hands for two reasons, they like this person enough to see what they can do (or know what they can do) and they trust that person to be responsible enough to hold their happiness in their hands. It’s like being a sexual canvas to sexual paint. You trust them to do the best painting ever to you and you like it.

Consensual top:

Going with the artist/canvas analogy, you have a canvas that goes wild when you use blue. You’re going to give them so much blue they’re brain and/or heart will explode from having so much good blue. You want to give them blue because giving them blue makes you feel great and seeing their reaction to blue makes you feel great about being so good at it. You really live giving this particular canvas blue and you want to feel like the best blue painter ever.

Nonconsensual bottom:

Doing this isn’t a choice. This is weird due to all the forms of rape, but for the most part, it is felt that there is little or no choice in the mater that someone will be having sex with you and has used some sort of cruel means to do it. Having actually been a victim of a very mild form of this, I can vouch for saying you begin not to trust sex, despite still having hormones, you don’t trust those like your attacker (from the single person to similar characteristics to the whole gender, to everyone), and you feel like less of a person. You feel like you’re treated badly because the attacker things you’re not good enough to be human and maybe you aren’t.

Nonconsensual top:

There tend to be two types of this. Type A is one that wants sex and will degrade, punish, and otherwise manipulate their victim if they resist. Type A feels they should get the sexual stimulation they want and either this is how you do it or other methods don’t work enough to bother. Type B tends not to want sex so much as to commit an act of violence that will have the most impact on a victim. Often the rapist wants to get back at someone, and not necessarily the victim. In fact, he may not have a certain person in mind that he feels he wants to get back at, a society in general is enough motivation.

‘Zombie’ bottom:

For some instances of this role (dead, brain-dead, perma-coma) there really isn’t any reaction to this. Heck, in a coma or a heavily drugged state, the reaction to sex would be mild twitches to vaguely trying to bat at the rapist. But this is fiction and I’m not going to handle the non-reactive part of this role. When you wake up and find out that someone had sex with you, your reaction relies on how you were told. However, the general (not universal) reaction for men is often ‘Well, I’m glad I came in handy’ while for women it is feeling violated, possibly more so than outright rape. For women, you have a open/closed sign on you and you’re the one who changes it. Someone violating that, however, is far worse than someone broke into a store.

Zombie Top:

Because someone in a ‘zombie’ state cannot really give consent, this is a kind of nonconsensual top. Like the nonconsensual top, you have two choices, but unlike the nonconsensual top, these can be combined. A) you want rape, but you don’t want a victim that can scream or remember because you’re afraid of getting caught, b) the same thing, but you don’t want a victim that’ll struggle because you don’t want to go to a lot of trouble, c) your really, really like people that are asleep or seem dead; you find their vulnerable state very arousing.
Stupid/Cool

Sex has become almost a world in itself in society and psychology. Often times, once those doors are closed, one reverts to or from a superhero/villain into their alter ego.

Sex is either putting on a mask or taking it off.

For consensual sex, people have a desire to be seen a certain way by their partner. Sex is often seen as a way to escape propriety and rules, or make up your own. When a sex scene comes into your story, how do the characters want to act? Like themselves or someone else? Does a nerd want to act like a nerd and be accepted, or does he want his partner to pretend he is actually suave and muscular? Does the successful business woman want to be treated that way, as just any person, or as a submissive, disobedient, and bad person?

Even in non consensual sex this can happen. The person forcing the other wants a role, but they refuse to compromise or even ask for it. Looking at the profiles above, they could want several things, and sometimes they want the actual refusal or surprise.

Do note that actual nonconsensual sex is different from consensual sex, even in fetishes. The difference is like scary movies or a haunted house. Yes, there’s fear, excitement, anticipation, etc, but that’s what they asked for and set up to happen. It’s fun. One can always leave the house or turn the TV off. One can always end the sex when they want. Being forced is the equivalent of a real serial killer or monster. Your safety net is gone. When forced, they’re doing it to you, when in play, they’re doing it for you.
Big Change: Desire, action, and conflict

Sometimes a sex scene is in literature to show a radical change in a character. Do they decide to abandon men and go for women? Do they decide to fight back all their life? Have they matured in some way and officially become an adult? Do they discover some unified field theory?

This can’t happen automatically if this is what the scene is for. Your characters start the sex scene with certain desires. Something happens. Change or no change, depending.

What happens when one character goes in expecting love and another expects just sex? Now. What happens when the sex is good? What happens when sex is bad or lame? Completely different outcomes. What if someone falls over, looks ridiculous, or says the wrong name? What if one person mistakes a gesture or the whole act, laughs, or the protection breaks?

Not all sex comes out perfect, and sex can be very different from what you wanted to experience. This can change a person, and because its often behind closed doors and lasts a short time compared to the rest of the character’s life, the change can be sudden and dramatic.
Omissions, hints, and synecdoches

Just because you have one full scene of sex, it does not mean you have to flesh out all other sex in your story.

Bow how you write and what you write changes the impact of the scene. Writing a crappy sex scene full out won’t be as good as writing a very good hint or even ‘Mae West line’ (I feel like a million, but one at a time).

Writing in a synecdoche to show passion though a scene that isn’t sex, but represents it risk flying over the top of the reader’s head. Writing hints often risks losing the whole thing to humor and possibly won’t get through to the reader any emotion or motivation that was behind the act. Giving a full-out sex scene risks becoming boring and derailing the entire piece.
One final note: How do you choose whether or not to write a sex scene? By thinking about the story and deciding for yourself. Others can give hints, but the story is yours alone, as are all scene within.

Edit:

Luzerne
There's one thing I'd like to add:

If you want to write a sex scene but are uncomfortable with typing out certain words, don't try. Fade to black. There's nothing worse than bad euphemisms for genitalia.
This is informative and nicely done. Thank you for your effort Phoniex Rises Again!
Nice.

But... but... you mean to tell me that bunjee jumping CAN'T cure psychological problems?!

...I've been going about self-help exactly the wrong way, then.
x_haphazard_x
Nice.

But... but... you mean to tell me that bunjee jumping CAN'T cure psychological problems?!

The Phoenix Rises Again
Like all activities, from sewing to eating, to bungee jumping, sex can be a wonderful, epiphany, magical experience based on why one does it and who they do it with
The Phoenix Rises Again
x_haphazard_x
Nice.

The Phoenix Rises Again
Like all activities, from sewing to eating, to bungee jumping, sex can be a wonderful, epiphany, magical experience based on why one does it and who they do it with

Okay, then, thanks. I was wondering if I had just wasted my money on all this equipment... >_>

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
This is good. The idea of giving someone so much good blue that their heart explodes makes me laugh, though. It's an interesting image.

If you want to write a sex scene but are uncomfortable with typing out certain words, don't try. Fade to black. There's nothing worse than bad euphemisms for genitalia.
Luzerne

I'm just gonna quote you and put you in the last part, kay?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff