Welcome to Gaia! ::

Was this helpful for those of you who read it?

Yes it was very insightful 0.22222222222222 22.2% [ 14 ]
What the hell is this, what a waste of time 0.015873015873016 1.6% [ 1 ]
I didn't read the whole thing, sounds interesting though 0.23809523809524 23.8% [ 15 ]
It's nice, but lacking some important things 0.15873015873016 15.9% [ 10 ]
I'm Just here for the Poll 0.36507936507937 36.5% [ 23 ]
Total Votes:[ 63 ]

I wrote this up as a small tutorial for my Mystery/Horror/Sci-Fi Class. A bunch of my peers were wondering exactly how much I knew about the "Art of Horror Fiction Writing. So here it is for your reading pleasure.

Horror fiction writing is an ever growing industry, with many different styles. The ways that people execute horror in writing could even be
considered an art, and one that few have mastered. In fact, very few people have an understanding of how many different styles and how complicated horror fiction writing can be, as well as the tact and thinking that goes into every novel.

Most people do not realize that horror fiction in fact has many sub-genres that it can be divided into. This list includes (but is not limited to) Noir, Weird, Visceral and Gothic. Each of these sub-genres has a unique style to it that each writer, will personalize through the development of ideas. It is through this personalization that the reader will be able to see what has conjured up in the imagination of the author. One of the most popular styles you see sold today on bookshelves is noir.

Noir, meaning ‘black’ in French, is a sub-genre of horror that deals with the urban underworld, where crime and moral doubt is raging. Having a corrupted ruler to overshadow everything that functions in the setting is a key characteristic of Noir. The main character is the essential anti-hero who searches for redemption in a far from perfect world. When writing the Anti-Hero you want him or her to appear as a “bad a**,” who has nothing to lose but his own worthless life. Themes that fall well into this category while writing about it are paranoia and corruption. This is one of the most modern versions of horror. Oddly enough, “Batman” is based in a Noir style of world, where crime rages freely, as is the story of Al Pachino.

One of the oldest sub-genres of horror is Gothic. A prime example of Gothic Horror is Bram Stoker’s Dracula. The characteristic theme of this style is the merging of the dark ages with a modern era. These types of stories are often written with the main setting being an old decrepit castle or crypt. These settings are often plain and expected; but, used in conjunction with imagery of ruin and decay, as well as imprisonment, they become very effective. When writing with this style a person has to be very careful about making things seem very unrealistic; keep to the supernatural, but never wander into unnatural, something from mythology would be fine, but you usually want to stick to old English mythos. You can never go wrong when writing about Gargoyles, Vampires, or even the Occult, when you’re dealing with Gothic Horror.

When writing Weird Horror, though, you want to stick to the unbelievable. Weird Horror tends to be strange and uncanny. An occult or Lovecraftian style of writing is extremely suited to this style. If you have an idea of who H.P. Lovecraft was or what he wrote then this probably make sense. Lovecraft’s style is very floral; it never stretches the use of adjectives. While writing Weird Horror a person could even delve into the realm of surrealism. This style of writing was popularized by the magazine “Weird Tales”.

This level of knowledge is quite extensive but is unpractical for a person who may want to write horror fiction in the future. A person must learn to be aware of what scares them at heart and apply that to the pages. While writing Horror Fiction, a person should be aware of two elements in every horror novel. The element of presence and the element of absence, these are absolute when writing a great Horror Fiction story.

The elements of absence include (but are not limited to) the unknown, the unseen and the unstoppable. All of these you want to be externalized by the reader. You want them to think about the elements of absence without thinking of themselves emotionally. The goal of these elements is to cause a ground zero for fear and suspense to build up upon.

‘The unknown’ is one of the most primal fears of mankind, the knowledge that anything could appear from the darkness, within certain natural guidelines defined by the order of nature. A person who is writing horror fiction should attempt to do away with these guidelines as soon as possible, in order to let the reader’s imagination run wild. If left to his or her own devices, the reader will conjure up a phantasm so outrageous that it is beyond words.

‘The unseen’ is exactly why gore works. It shows us something that we rarely see which is why it is so effective. Any author using this element should use it sparingly; every time an author uses it, it becomes less effective. Eventually, a person will become desensitized to this element from over exposure. So, put a new twist on this according to the type of age category you are targeting. For example, if you are catering towards an adult audience over the age of twenty five, chances are that they have already seen a gaping stab wound, so go for a limb turned around the wrong way. The more unlikely the injury, the more ghastly it becomes.

Of all the elements of absence ‘the unstoppable’ is the most unnatural. Everything must come to the end. It is a rule of nature. So the relentless advance and endless pursuit of a person surpasses all common logic. This is why this element of absence is so effective. When writing about ‘the unstoppable’ you want the reader to make a strong connection to inevitable death, a subject that not very many people want to think about.

The elements of presence are meant to break down the barrier of logic that a person has while reading horror fiction. The elements of presence include (but are not limited to) helplessness, pressure and release. Each of these has its own role in breaking down the barrier of logic. You want the reader to internalize these and feel as if they are in the shoes of the main character when they feel these.

Helplessness is the first line of offense a person should use to break down the readers logic. Nothing is more frightening than a lack of control, especially the lack to control your own fate. In horror, a lot of the attraction comes from the lack of power that the protagonist has. Everyone feels helpless at times, so it is easy to internalize. However, when writing, you have to remember as an author that the reader gets a rush of excitement when your protagonist overcomes the obstacle no matter the odds.

Pressure, also known as suspense, is the keystone of Horror Fiction writing. A successful horror writer must learn to master this technique. Just like helplessness, everyone feels pressure, so this is also easy to internalize. This element is best when it is repeated once or twice without climaxing to catch a reader off guard; however, this method is similar to ‘the unseen’ in the fact that repeating this trick too often causes it to lose effectiveness. The rush that the reader builds when using suspense is phenomenal, and the feeling of a well executed release is even better.
Release is one thing that no story is complete without. There are many ways an author can execute this. There is the complete release, in which the author removes the reader from the entrancing grasp of the story.

When writing horror a lingering release is more common and suitable. The author concludes the story while tying it into real life, to keep the reader on edge for the next fifteen minutes or so while they shake off the events that occurred inside story. It creates a memorable feel for the story. The last method is never recommended, as it annoys quite a few readers. The cliff hanger ending, it releases the reader wondering what will happen next. Refrain from using this whenever possible, even if writing a continuing story. All your works should stand alone, making your reader comfortable wherever they step in, inside the series.

So when writing a horror novel, the author must be aware of their audience. Pick a style that they would most likely find interesting and use devices that are suited to the control of that environment. Some devices are more effective then others in certain environments. ‘The unseen’ works very well in a Weird story, but isn’t as effective in a Noir one. A writer must keep all of this in mind when writing. If they did not, then they would not sell very many books.
Pretty nice summary. Would have liked to see some mention of how one differentiates between Horror genre fiction and fiction from other genres with strong horror elements. I would cheer for the mention of Weird Tales, but their recent issues have sorely disappointed me.

Codger

While this is a good guide, you failed to even mention one very important element of horror: atmosphere. The most effective horror stories are those with the most effective atmosphere, where the sense and feeling of something being wrong is visceral and undefinable. This is why HP Lovecraft's work is considered one of the (if not THE) pinnacle of horror fiction, because he so elegantly created a fictional world that was very normal, and then shot it all to hell simply by bending that reality and revealing the gaping depths that lay beneath.

Which, of course, makes the task of creating and maintaining an effective atmosphere of horror seem much easier than it actually is. Even Lovecraft failed at times, as do the modern masters (Stephen King and Clive Barker, most prominently), but practice and feedback (and a lot of reading and analyzing of horror) do help quite a lot.

Another thing to take into account is that there's a slight but definite difference between horror and a story that is simply horrific. The first plays on pyschology, which you talked about, and warping it to create a state of mind where terror (directionless fear) is easily created and manipulated. This is the most difficult, but also most effective, method for writing horror. The second typically relies on gore, inhumanity, torture, and such like, what Stephen King calls the gross out factor. This is easy to do, but also the crudest, nor is it always effective.

For some further reading:

HP Lovecraft's defining essay about horror, Supernatural Horror in Literature.

Stephen King's On Writing (to some extent), Danse Macabre, and most of his various afterword's.

Various examinations of horror by Clive Barker, such as his forward to his Books of Blood compilation.
Another good reference is Thomas Ligotti's essay "Horror Stories: A Nightmare Scenario," which is currently in print in his collection The Shadow at the Bottom of the World and will be part of his forthcoming book, The Conspiracy against the Human Race: On the Horror of Life and the Art of Horror
For some reason or another I've never been able to find any book a horror book. With movies I can get scared because of the 'unexpected', 'unseen' or 'unknown' as you say it and people lurking behind a wall or tree, blood and gore and that kind of stuff. But with books I can decide for myself when I read what is behind that wall or that tree. It makes it so much less scary.

Or maybe I just read the wrong books sad
Thanks for all the feedback, I did this for a class. I had to turn it in and my teacher told us to limit it so i had to pick the key aspects that set Horror apart from the other genres. I could have made more references, but these are all from notes that I took in my mystery/horror/Sci-Fi class last year, so i made no actual effort to do research out of my own already pre-fabricated knowlege. Also, atmosphere doesn't really play that big of a part if you work horror correctly. You can have someone scarred out of their wits during broad daylight using atmosphere. It doesn't always have to be dark and despicable. A Good reference for this would be "The Howling II", alot of the deaths take place in broad daylight.

Codger

True, but you're misunderstanding what I mean when I say atmosphere. I'm talking about literary atmosphere, the sensation and feeling of the story as a whole, rather than the weather. HP Lovecraft has a vasty different feel (atmosphere) to his stories than Stephen King does, and the atmospheres of Tanith Lee's and Caitlin R Kiernan's stories are different still. If your story lacks an effective atmosphere, one that can evoke a sense of dread of some sort, then your story is not as effective as it could be, and therefore less likely to be remembered.
Endrael
True, but you're misunderstanding what I mean when I say atmosphere. I'm talking about literary atmosphere, the sensation and feeling of the story as a whole, rather than the weather. HP Lovecraft has a vasty different feel (atmosphere) to his stories than Stephen King does, and the atmospheres of Tanith Lee's and Caitlin R Kiernan's stories are different still. If your story lacks an effective atmosphere, one that can evoke a sense of dread of some sort, then your story is not as effective as it could be, and therefore less likely to be remembered.

Isn't that where the skill of a person as a writer comes in? A terrible writer can not create the proper atmosphere without alot of effort. At that point in the writing, it is up to the writer to increase his or her own skill and fluency.

Codger

Synthetic.Butterfly
Endrael

Isn't that where the skill of a person as a writer comes in? A terrible writer can not create the proper atmosphere without alot of effort. At that point in the writing, it is up to the writer to increase his or her own skill and fluency.

Aye, and I won't argue that creating the proper atmosphere requires skill. However, even skilled writers may be incapable of writing effective horror, not because of lack of skill, but because they don't have the feel for doing so. I'll use HP Lovecraft as an example again, specifically The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and contrast it with CS Lewis's The Screwtape Letters.

Now, Lewis's work fails at being horrific, not through lack of skill, but through lack of atmosphere to bring about the sense of dread he was partly attempting to create. Being heavily Christian, Lewis's writing was quite influenced by his beliefs, and being tempted into damnation was a definite fear for him. But that didn't translate into Screwtape Letters, so the story is missing the atmospheric elements that would make it frightening.

Shadow Over Innsmouth, on the other hand, was written by someone who understood very well that if one is to write horror, and have that story disturb the reader, then it must have the atmosphere of dread to go with it. Fear of the dark, fear of the unknown, and fear of the grotesque are the core elements Lovecraft made use of in SOI, and these are elements that Lovecraft lived with and understood, and so was able to translate into his stories. (As a side note, Lovecraft was mentally disturbed, which also translated into his works to varying degrees, and this accentuated the atmosphere of his stories.)
Endrael
Synthetic.Butterfly
Endrael

Aye, and I won't argue that creating the proper atmosphere requires skill. However, even skilled writers may be incapable of writing effective horror, not because of lack of skill, but because they don't have the feel for doing so. I'll use HP Lovecraft as an example again, specifically The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and contrast it with CS Lewis's The Screwtape Letters.

Now, Lewis's work fails at being horrific, not through lack of skill, but through lack of atmosphere to bring about the sense of dread he was partly attempting to create. Being heavily Christian, Lewis's writing was quite influenced by his beliefs, and being tempted into damnation was a definite fear for him. But that didn't translate into Screwtape Letters, so the story is missing the atmospheric elements that would make it frightening.

Shadow Over Innsmouth, on the other hand, was written by someone who understood very well that if one is to write horror, and have that story disturb the reader, then it must have the atmosphere of dread to go with it. Fear of the dark, fear of the unknown, and fear of the grotesque are the core elements Lovecraft made use of in SOI, and these are elements that Lovecraft lived with and understood, and so was able to translate into his stories. (As a side note, Lovecraft was mentally disturbed, which also translated into his works to varying degrees, and this accentuated the atmosphere of his stories.)

as part of the side note... E.A.Poe had the same thing. He was heavily disturbed and he wrote some amazing peices. There is also the difference of the fact that, a part of the writes goes into the book. If the writer does not have the mentality it tkaes to write horror then it will fail. Most people coming from strong Catholic or such backgrounds have a hard time writing horror for "non-beleivers". Whereas if someone who is from say... the Dark Carnival were to write a story, it would strike fear into many more people. there are many unknowns and variables to this subject. What i wrote was just a general basic explanation for writing it.
I figured that I'd bring this little thing up to the top of the list for a bit. It is a helpful source for some information

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff