Welcome to Gaia! ::

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Surprise

Surprising the reader or dropping subtle hints doesn’t work if you leave everything in. You may have a great desire to get into the head of a traitor in a group, or a shadowy figure in an alleyway. But would it add more to the story and evoke more of a response from the reader if you told them now, or if you waited until later and gave them what they did not expect?

Concerning mystery and detective stories, you can’t tell us who the culprit that the hero meets on page two is. You can have characters chat, you can have characters get hot and heavy with them, you can have characters risk their lives and save places, people, or things with those characters. But you don’t reveal that they are the culprit.

arrow Example: Who Framed Roger Rabbit, d**k Tracy

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Fear and Fun

Sometimes, as an author, you either can’t rely on specifics, or it becomes easier or better not to.

Leaving things unknown is actually a strong technique in a story if done right. Where would horror movies be today without them? What kind of genre would is be if we knew what the monster looked like? The fear is in the unknown, in letting the reader ponder all aspects of what you don’t show.

Endings can work far more effectively with the afterwards left out. Your character has beaten the bad guy, overcome a flaw, left a magical illusion world, destroyed an evil empire. But what now? Sometimes it is best to leave a reader with a feeling of accomplishment and exhilaration than to move away form that feeling by resolving what does not add to the story by being resolved. Perhaps the question of ‘what happens next?’ can enhance the emotional response by the reader and can leave them remembering and thinking about your story longer than if you had resolved everything.

arrow Examples: Star Wars, The Truman Show

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Humor

Leaving out details in order to create humor can work two ways.

Often, people will omit words from their speech, assuming things are concise, when they are, in fact, ridiculously vague and easily misinterpreted. For instance, answering ‘yes’ to ‘Do you mind?’ Easily misinterpreted, easy to act upon, and even easier to create a new set of dialog that can still result in confusion.

Example: Who’s on first (either version)

Another way to use humor is to actual leave in only the punch line. This is a very difficult skill to learn, but is one of the most effective ways to make your readers laugh. The best explanation would be to list the examples first and go from there:

arrow Examples: Venture Brothers, Malcolm in the Middle

The second season of Venture Brothers really drives this technique home. From an entire episode that shows carious scenes involving use of a time machine that shows only random crazy scenes leaving the reader wondering how such weirdness could possibly have been set up, to the very last bit of the show where Dr. Girlfriend says “I’m …” and thus shocking the hell out of her husband. The audience is left with no clue in that episode as to what she said to elicit such a response and no more information is given.

One scene in Malcolm in the Middle managed to be one of the best examples of this technique. Not only do we not see what the children are talking about, but we do not see them at all. We are show the parents attempting to sleep through sounds of crashing, banging, and finally they hear one child saying ‘blood tastes funny’ through the wall. As the two fight over who should get up and see what the disaster is, they hear ‘Leave the squirrel alone and get the fire extinguisher.’ And that is the end of the scene and no more is mentioned or hinted at it.

Al the audience if ever given in these scenes is the punch line: a vague mention of a disaster or a brief scene, either of which are hard to conceive of how such things could come about and in leaving the audience to wonder, they either fill in the gaps or laugh at the missing pieces.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Characterization

Often, giving specific scenes from a character’s past shows how their personality has been shaped over time.

But sometimes, strangely, showing a beginning without a middle or an end can save a lot of work.

Sometimes, all the audience needs is to know is how it all started out. Sometimes, showing a child orphaned suddenly and transitioning to them as an adult and leaving in distinct character quirks is enough. Do we need to see a man beating his child, or do we just need to know it happened and how it came about? Do we need an entire torture scene, or just the beginning and hints to it and the resulting personality quirks that have obviously followed? Sometimes it is necessary to be exact, sometimes not at all.

Examples: Lexx*, Batman Begins

*This show is NOT for kids.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Conclusion

How well leaving something out will work depends on how well what you put in works. A joke does not work without what the reader is actually told about the characters, setting ,and other events.

As always, a balance must be struck.

Warning: Misuse of this technique will lead to reader/audience confusion, rejection, and bad storytelling. Consult yourself and possibly peers to find out if this technique is right for you.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Character Interaction

Characters can communicate by not doing things. Not speaking, not reacting, not moving all convey a very strong message. Why do you think there are such terms as ‘silent treatment,’ ‘cold shoulder,’ and ‘subtle hints?’

Everything a character does is communication with the world at least, let alone other characters. The way a character walks communicates something about how they act and think. The way they greet or don’t greet people says tons about them.

Ending on silence, a question, or a heavy statement and taking away the whole scene can drive it’s importance, message, and impact into the reader’s mind for years.

Edit: in the book Between the Lines it says 'experts say that 97 percent of all communication is nonverbal'

Most is mentioned through tone of voice and action, etting the reader understand the mood and message without saying explicitly.
I suppose yours works, but for humor, I prefer absurdity. Like the idea that the biohazard disposal unit in a Fortress of Doom will be there in thirty minutes or less or you get a free sweatshirt in the gift shop.

Wait a second, without the setup, that's probably too out there...

Anyway, omission can be useful, but it's best not to think about that kind of thing too hard in the first draft. sweatdrop

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
x_haphazard_x
I suppose yours works, but for humor, I prefer absurdity. Like the idea that the biohazard disposal unit in a Fortress of Doom will be there in thirty minutes or less or you get a free sweatshirt in the gift shop.

Wait a second, without the setup, that's probably too out there...

Anyway, omission can be useful, but it's best not to think about that kind of thing too hard in the first draft. sweatdrop

Well, yeah, there are different ways to do humor. There are different ways to do anything.

Codger

*adds to the link list thread* ninja

Another example for your Fear & Fun section would be Stephen King's Wolves of the Calla, where we're left wondering for most of the book what, exactly, the wolves actually are and why Roland and the others feel so confident they can be killed without much effort. (I don't, however, recommend this as one of Stephen King's better books, as it is, I daresay, one of his most boring, even if it is, as usual for SK, well written.)

This is a good little guide, and you do a good job of covering the basic scenarios where omission would be a useful technique. Despite that, I can't help but feel as if you've overlooked something important for omission-as-technique, but that may be more because you've been very compact with your explanations than because anything is actually missing, and I'm not used to that. confused I'll think about this and come back later if anything comes to mind.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Endrael

Another example for your Fear & Fun section would be Stephen King's Wolves of the Calla, where we're left wondering for most of the book what, exactly, the wolves actually are and why Roland and the others feel so confident they can be killed without much effort. (I don't, however, recommend this as one of Stephen King's better books, as it is, I daresay, one of his most boring, even if it is, as usual for SK, well written.)

This is a good little guide, and you do a good job of covering the basic scenarios where omission would be a useful technique. Despite that, I can't help but feel as if you've overlooked something important for omission-as-technique, but that may be more because you've been very compact with your explanations than because anything is actually missing, and I'm not used to that. confused I'll think about this and come back later if anything comes to mind.

Wow. Thanks. Anyway, I can always add some in the edits, but I'm really one for being precise (when I'm not doing something akin to Who's on First)

Codger

Yami_no_Eyes
Endrael

Wow. Thanks. Anyway, I can always add some in the edits, but I'm really one for being precise (when I'm not doing something akin to Who's on First)

So I've noticed. 3nodding Gives your writing a very distinctive style, which is nice.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Endrael
Yami_no_Eyes
Endrael

So I've noticed. 3nodding Gives your writing a very distinctive style, which is nice.

You realize you're the first to ever say that.

Anyway, additions will be made if needed. I promise

4,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • First step to fame 200
To invoke an outside authority (which I seem to be doing more often than I really like):

Orson Scott Card:
"Suspense is not withholding information from the reader. It is giving them most of the information, almost all of it, and making them care very much about that last shred which you are withholding."

Like Stephen King's Cujo, where we're told in detail how 'coincidence' is allowing the main characters to remain in a dangerous situation, what other characters who might save them are doing at any given time, and all we care about is whether someone will get there in time.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Updated with more!

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Updated with an edit to Character Interaction!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff