Welcome to Gaia! ::

This guide...

is the awesomenest!!!111oneoneoneeleventy 0.68686868686869 68.7% [ 68 ]
... What guide? o.O I'm only here for gold. 0.31313131313131 31.3% [ 31 ]
Total Votes:[ 99 ]

Codger

The Magic of Short Stories
A how-to guide brought to you by Endrael

Aaahhh. The short story. Some writers have torrid love affairs with them and know them inside and out, while others are entirely baffled by them and don't have a clue on how to approach them. Thankfully, you can get to know short stories with a little bit of work and a bit of help. This guide was written as an aid to those among us who are interested in short stories but haven't learned how to court them.

Table of Contents
Because the guide really is that long.

The Original Thread: Where this whole mess began, and now replaced with/deprecated in favor of this updated/expanded version.
---
The Basics: Wherein will be found the basic essentials for crafting short stories.
Advanced Techniques, Part 1: Wherein is discovered discussion on using novel characters, including side plots, and writing epics.
Advanced Techniques, Part 2: Wherein the guide turns to the matters of flash fiction, collections, and series.
Questions, Answers, & Feedback: Wherein others speak on matters pertinent to the short story or to the guide.

Praise and Amusement
In response to the original
Sugarpill.
Great topic, really, very indepth coverage of a very annoying subject.

Coffee and Alcohol
When I saw the thread title, at first I was like, "Oh, bloody great. It's time to try to rip some pretentious b***h a new a*****e without getting myself banned again." But then I saw it was you who'd posted it, Endrael, and all was right with the universe again.

Viscerian
Very helpful indeed. I see a lot of different ideas about short stories. This was one of the least confusing.

=Wireless.Virgin=
I have nothing important to contribute except for:
Wow.
heart

In response to this one
Iamanna
This is one of the best guides I've ever seen on Gaia (and beats out quite a few of my teachers' as well). I adore it so much that I would like to give it a large hug and then beat it soundly about the head with critique to make it even better, but I can't think of anything constuructive.

People Who Have Helped
Ace of Shadows (for ideas)
Alea Facta Est (feedback/critique)
designergrl (feedback about clarity)
LordSoma (feedback/critique)
lynx wings (feedback/critique)
RandomSamurai (feedback/critique)
Tailos (clarification request)
Teowyn (feedback/critique)

Codger

The Basics

Word Count
The word count for what's considered a short story, novella, and novel will occasionally vary depending on the source you're using for reference. Some will say short stories are anything with as little as 5,000 words or less, others will say novels are anything with 60,000 words or more, and novellas fall between those two ranges.

General consensus, though, is that short stories are 20,000 words or less, novels are 50,000 or more, and novellas fall between those two. If in doubt, check the guidelines of the publisher you're looking at to find out their word count definitions, especially if you're intent on sending a piece to a magazine.

Focus
Unlike longer works, you must know precisely what you wish to accomplish with the tale when working with short stories. I can not stress this enough. Short stories require focus, and most every writer can attest to the difficulty in keeping a story short when focus is not a high priority. Yes, it may turn out short anyway, but we all know how quickly those plot bunnies can breed, which is why it's vital to make focus a priority.

This is the largest stumbling block people most often encounter when making the transition from novels, because novels don't require a high level of focus to be effective, with the luxury they provide by way of allowing the author to take his/her time in telling the story. How is this solved? How can you take a story idea that seems like it would take 100,000 words to tell and make it fit into a space of only 10,000? There are a few solutions, all of which will come into play in some way.

Side Plots
Side plots are the one thing most likely to cause a short story to explode into a novella or novel. Short stories rarely have side plots because of this. While this doesn't mean it's not possible, be aware that if you do include side plots, you will need a good idea of exactly how it relates with the core plot in order to write it effectively and keep the plot bunny population neutered. (I talk about including side plots under in Advanced Techniques, Part 1.)

Time (Thanks to lynx wings, LordSoma, and Alea Facta Est for feedback on this.)
As with any story, the time span of the tale will vary a great deal. As a general rule of thumb, and this is especially useful if you're new to short stories, I recommend keeping the time span short for short stories, while longer time spans are better for longer works. There are obviously exceptions to this, such as Michael Crichton's novel Andromeda Strain (takes place over three days) or Herman Hesse's short story Faldum (about a man who becomes a mountain), and numerous others can be found if you look. As with any story, the manner in which the story is told will determine how long it ends up being, and great spans of time can be passed over within a single sentence if needed, which is the most efficient trick for handling time span within short stories or novels, which is especially handy for bits that are otherwise boring.

"And then he..."
Unless your short story is a single, uninterrupted scene, you will want to avoid going into detail about the every day actions of your characters. While it works in novellas and novels because it may play into a larger context (either with the plot or with character development), a short story will most likely be hurt by, for example, the characters talking about something that is outside the scope of the immediate plot. Including something like this will often leave your readers confused as to what it has to do with the story.

Character Development
Character development is the second major stumbling block to be had when moving from novellas/novels to short stories, simply because there is no time to give the characters a full blown personality and background. While this is often the aspect most bemoaned by writers new to short stories, it is, ironically, perhaps the easiest to handle.

But how can that be done? How can you get away with having believable and sympathetic characters when you have little room for character development? Quite simply: Don't require more personality from your characters than is absolutely needed by the story.

Granted, this advice also holds true for stories of greater lengths, but with short stories, it's even more difficult to get away with. Does your character collect pez dispensers and dislike spicy things? Are these facts about your character directly and immediately important to the story? No? Then don't include them.

The easiest solution to this is consider only how your character would react or respond to the situation at hand. While it may be interesting to have a well crafted back story to every character, more often than not this will actually be a hindrance when writing a short story, for several reasons. The first is simply information overload, because you're going to end up with far more background than is necessary, which will make it difficult to sort out what you do need. The second is that you'll end up doing far more work on the characters than you will on the story, which distracts from the purpose of writing that story.

My personal rule of thumb about character backgrounds for short stories is simply not to write them, but as this doesn't work for everybody, a rough guideline for those who do need to work with them: if your character backgrounds exceed more than half a page single spaced per character, you're creating too much background.

In short, you don't need to know that your character has won several contests and awards for their baking skills and the specifics behind each of them. You only need to know that they won and how that's affected their personality as it will apply to the immediate story.

This isn't to say that characterization is unimportant to the story, and, as RandomSamurai reminded me, it can well be the focal point of the story, which means plot is going to be the secondary concern. Which brings us to exactly that.

Plotting
For the chronic noveller, keeping the plot from exploding into a 120,000 word behemoth is the most confusing aspect of short stories, in large part because it's difficult to move from thinking on an epic (or semi-epic, or hyper detail-oriented) scale to an every day scale. Novels and, to a somewhat lesser extent, novellas are prone to focusing on prolonged struggles, whereas short stories are often focused on brief events. This is rather like Lord of the Rings compared to a vignette.

While realizing and understanding this is easy, actually applying it is more difficult, mainly because of the care required in selecting exactly the scenes needed to tell the story while not ignoring the processes of telling the story or developing the characters.

So how is this done? How does one move from an epic scale to something much more brief? The short answer is simply to learn it by writing it, but if you're new to writing short stories, this is a quite unhelpful bit of advice.

As I mentioned earlier, the three things I covered under the Focus section of this how-to are the keys to organizing a plot for a short story. Bringing all these elements together, however, is often the trickiest part of short stories, but it is, obviously, possible. To do so requires keeping in mind that only the most important scenes to the story need to be told, even if this means skipping several days (or more) time within the narrative. Are your characters needing to meet somewhere later, but it won't be until next week? Unless something drastically important happens between the time the meeting is set and the meeting itself, skip directly to the meeting. The reader will fill in the time gap on their own without your needing to write anything about what your characters did in the interim.

The second trick (and thanks to Teowyn for feedback on this point) is summarizing, by which is meant trimming information that isn't important to understanding what's going on. For instance, if your characters are receiving help to enter a high-security area, we don't need to know the specifics of how the doors are opened and the security check-points passed unless it's directly pertinent to the story. You can safely show these actions in a sentence or two, rather than something like this:

Quote:
Mark leaned forward and reached into his back pocket to pull out his wallet. His ID and security clearances were in it, and he handed them to the guard at the security check point after he pulled them out of his wallet. The guard scanned the bar codes on both pieces of plastic into the system and handed them back to Mark, who put them back in his wallet - which went back into his back pocket - as the guard waved him and his companions through the check point.

Clunky, isn't it? Let's do some trimming of that inordinately wordy paragraph to see how it can be improved.

Quote:
Mark pulled out his ID and clearance and handed them to the guard, who scanned them into the system before waving his group through.

Conveying Mood (Thanks to Alea Facta Est for mentioning voice.)
More so than longer works, short stories require you to be very aware of the words you use in order to convey mood. Unfortunately, this is something more effectively learned through experience than learned from a general overview, but there is one basic technique that will make it much easier, and that's to streamline your sentences as much as possible, including dialogue. Using a single word instead of three is one way of doing this, as is excising redundancy.

As an example from one of my own works, the first draft paragraph contrasted with the same paragraph from the third draft:

Quote:
It was like... coming home. Yet another cliché. So many of them, and I wished I knew a better way to explain it. I had left because it hurt, seeing so many things, hearing so many songs, talking with so many people, all of which were nothing but a reminder of what I had lost. Had any of them understood? Invoke had, of that I was sure, and it seemed, looking back, that there were some who also had, but I had been too blind to it to notice.

Quote:
It was like... coming home. Yet another cliché. So many of them, and I wish I knew a better way to explain it. I had left because it hurt, seeing so many things, hearing so many songs, talking with so many people, all of them reminders of what I had lost. Had any of them understood? Invoke had, of that I was sure, and it seemed, looking back, that there were some who also had, but I had been too blind to notice.

While not the most extreme example, it conveys the idea well enough to make it clear.

Another trick for conveying mood is voice, as this is, in many ways, more important than conciseness when writing. But what is voice? To put it simply, it is the structure and word choice you use when constructing sentences, and this ties in heavily with writing style. Short, simple sentences with (relatively) simple words are effective for action, because they're easy to take in and absorb the meaning of, and they're also effective for making a story easy to read. On the other end of the spectrum are long, complex sentences, which are good for description and the expression of complex/complicated ideas. How much of each of these you use is up to you, and some writers use one method almost exclusively, because that's what works best for them. Ernest Hemingway, for example, used mostly short and simple sentences, while the writers of the US Constitution used a great deal of long, complex sentences.

Scene Transitions
Short stories composed of more than one scene require somewhat more awareness of composition than novellas and novels do, simply because a new scene must be a coherent jump from the previous one, while also leaving enough room and suggestion as to what happened in between, even if it was nothing more than your character(s) driving somewhere and stopping for lunch on the way. The easiest method, but also the easiest to do badly, is to reference to the next scene at the end of the current one, or reference to the previous scene at the beginning of the new one. This obviously doesn't need to be done both ways, as one or the other is usually sufficient for the reader to catch and make the connection.

The second method, if your short story is somewhat more complex and has multiple story lines illustrating a larger point (while not a short story, the movie Syriana is a good example of this), is to make use of an overall theme that will tie each story line together, even if they don't connect with each other outside of the theme.

Codger

Advanced Techniques, Part 1

Now that you have the basics down, you're wanting to experiment, aren't you? Great, because the short story is a marvellously flexible thing and can give you scad loads of freedom in trying new things. There are several major techniques one can make use of when working with short stories, and they can be used either by themselves or in conjunction with many of the other techniques discussed in this guide.

Novel Characters (Thanks to Ace of Shadows for this one, and Alea Facta Est for feedback.)
No, we're not talking about eccentric characters, but rather the characters from your novel(s). The ones you've put so much time and effort into turning into heroes or villains. The ones you've spent so much time fleshing out. The ones you've beaten into shape and forced to get along (or not) to work together as a unit. The ones you should (supposedly) know inside and out.

Yep. We're talking about those characters.

But why write short stories for these characters if they're already starring in a longer work? What could possibly be the benefit of doing this? And, perhaps most importantly, how do you keep the focus on only a select few of them, especially if they're secondary characters in the novel(s) they're taken from?

There are several reasons for writing short stories centered around characters from novels, some of which are related, others which aren't.

The most basic is that, no matter how convoluted and rambly a novel is, there simply isn't room to fit everything in without weighing down the story (if not ruining it altogether) and/or taxing the patience of the reader. Making short stories out of some of the ideas the plot bunnies give you lets you avoid cluttering your novel with elements that don't fit, while at the same time giving you the ability to expand your story and make the world even richer.

Likewise, some characters from a novel may end up being more interesting to you (the writer) than the others are, but shifting the focus of the novel over to them is obviously not a good solution. Placing them into their own short stories lets you write about them - their actions, past, personality, and other aspects that were inappropriate for the novel the the character's from - without jeopardizing the integrity of your novel, while also giving you a possible spring board for placing them into a novel of their own.

On the other hand, you may want to write short stories from the perspective of the secondary characters so you have a better understanding of the main (or mains), or so you can show them in a different light. Does the MC come off as a Mary Sue/Gary Stu when they're in the lead role, for example, even though they're not? A short story from the pov of a different character can easily let you see how you can solve this or work around it. Does the MC come off as a Mother Theresa type of character with no depth? Likewise, a short story from a different character's perspective will let you illuminate the MC more fully and give them more depth.

Of course, the stipulations for writing an effective short story still hold when taking characters from novels and putting them into their own story or stories. Being so familiar with your characters already will actually make the task easier in many ways, because you won't have to worry about figuring out what they'd do in a given situation. You'll already be familiar with their personality. The difficult part is maintaining the focus, especially if you're using characters that are secondary in the novel from which you're taking them.

The solution, which should be self-evident but often isn't, is to treat the characters you're using as the stars of their own story. This is easy to do with the novel's MCs, because you're used to them being the focus, but with the secondary characters, it may be more complicated, especially if the novel's MCs suffer from the much maligned Mary Sue/Gary Stu syndrome. The trick, then, is to consider what these secondary characters do when they're not associating with the MCs. (This may also be a good solution to fixing any Mary Sue/Gary Stu afflictions of the MCs, because it will remove them from being the center of the other characters' universes.)

Now, this technique may require some necessary violation of the advice I gave about limiting character background, if you're using secondary characters from a novel as the MCs of a short story. Why? Because you're going to need that background to better understand how to extract your character from the context of their novel and place them into their own story, a story that may not even be related to the novel it's derived from beyond sharing characters and being in the same world.

Despite these little tricks, if you're using secondary characters, it's still possible that the novel's MC will attempt to take a starring role, especially if they have a very forceful personality. If this isn't what you want to happen, I recommend minimalizing their role in the short story as much as possible. This is obviously not an always satisfactory solution (nor the only one), but it does force you to focus on the other characters to the exclusion of the novel's MC, which means you're also forcing yourself to focus on how to make the short story's MC the MC of the short story.
  • Novel Characters Challenge #1: Use tertiary characters.
  • Novel Characters Challenge #2: Make the MC of the novel a tertiary character in the short story.

Side Plots
I'm going to break from my usual practice so far in this guide and begin this section with explanation and advice rather than jumping right into how-to.

When I say side plots, I don't mean subplots, and I should explain the difference to make this section more understandable. Side plots, like in novels, are most often centered on two or more characters, at least one of which is involved in a separate (if not entirely unrelated) story line.

A good example of side plots are the story lines in Lord of the Rings, where we start our journey through the book with Frodo/Sam/Merry/Pippin, who are then joined by Aragorn, Gandalf, Gimli, Legolas, and Boromir. Throughout the second two books, we have three and four separate story lines in progress: Frodo/Sam/(Gollum/Sméagol), Merry/Pippin, and Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli, with Gandalf moving between the latter two, and much interweaving between the second and third story lines.

Subplots, by contrast, are one of two things (not necessarily mutually exclusive):

1.) Interplay between a core group of characters who are (almost) always together, and if one or more of those characters leaves, we do not follow them. A romance between character A and character B would be a subplot if it is not the focus of the story.

2.) A secondary (or tertiary) plot that is connected to and dependant on the main plot for its purpose and existence. Character A being promoted for doing a good job and finishing the task (which task is the main plot) would be a subplot.

Subplots are one of the most effective tools for character and plot development, and are very difficult to go without when you have two or more characters interacting with each other over the course of the story. Subplots may be caused by events outside of the focus of the story, but these events need not be directly spoken of, and the subplots can be removed without affecting the overall scheme(s) of the tale.

I (and most other practiced writers) generally consider side plots to be a distraction in short stories, if not entirely unnecessary. The nature of short stories is to focus on a single event or course of action, and including side plots detracts from this focus, which, more often than not, ends up detracting from the story as a whole, making it seem directionless, confused, or cluttered. While it's possible, and sometimes desirable, to include one or two side plots in your short story, do some serious thinking about whether or not it adds anything before you do so, because it's very easy to mangle a short story if you have too much going on.

That said, on with the guide.

With short stories, side plots are both easier and more difficult to handle than they are in novels. Easier because they need not be as complex, but more difficult because everything has to tie together much more seamlessly. You don't have the luxury of chapters or of lengthy scene setting or plotting, and this makes it much easier to spot problems with continuity or smoothness because there's less to be assimilated.

So how do you handle multiple story lines when you don't have chapters? How do you handle side plots when a short story isn't nearly as complex as a novel? How do you smoothly tie these things together into a cohesive whole?

Handling the lack of chapters is actually the easiest to deal with, because all you need is the same trick used in novels: scene breaks. That is to say, use some method of making it clear that the scene is changing to something else, whether this be a simple double return, a typical ***, or some other method. Doing this, you also have the freedom to disregard the technique of referencing the previous scene, or leading into the next scene, that I talked about in Plotting, since the two scenes aren't connected (such as character A doing Q at X, with the next scene being character B doing R at Y). This doesn't mean you can ignore continuity between related scenes, however, because doing so imperils the integrity of your story.

The most difficult part about including side plots is that, unlike novels, you have to begin with an understanding of exactly how they factor into the story, which means it's advisable that you start your writing with a complete (or near complete) picture of what you want to do/have happen in the story. You can't fudge a side plot, let alone several of them, into a short story and expect the whole thing to nicely come together with only a few minor tweaks. This means you must do some planning, whether it's only mulling over the story in your head or writing notes and making an outline.

The easiest method for including side plots is to have them related in some fashion (from the perspective of two friends (or enemies) or a new relationship in a story about coping with the death of a loved one, for two examples), which means they revolve around the same central concept. This makes it much easier to include side plots, because you're still focusing on the same core theme or point, which means the story won't seem cluttered, confused, or directionless once it's written.

All of that said, side plots in short stories operate like they do in novels, only scaled to fit the story. However, it's not advised that you have more than three or four of either, in any combination. This is for two reasons. The most obvious is the plot bunnies, because the more fodder they have to work with, the more likely it is that you'll lose the ability the keep the story short as all these ZOMGAWESOME!!!11 ideas bombard you. The second reason, and interrelated with the first, is that having more side plots makes it more difficult to keep the story short because they require more story space to effectively wrap up.
  • Side Plot Challenge #1: Up to four entirely unrelated story lines.
  • Side Plot Challenge #2: Nothing but side plots. (The dreaded "pointless" story.)

Epics
Most people associate epics with lengthy works, such as Lord of the Rings or the Iliad. That doesn't mean that epics are limited to being long. They can, in fact, sometimes be more effective as short stories, but how is this done?

One thing to keep in mind is that you have up to 20,000 words to work with, which is no small amount. As mentioned in the opening for this guide, however, it's best to check the publisher's guidelines for the word count they'll accept, so let's say 10,000 is the limit. (10,000 being the highest I've seen for print magazines.) Even with this limit, it's still a good 15 pages single spaced (more if you hand write), which is easily enough for our purposes.

What differentiates most short story epics from other short stories is that they most often focus on plot, not because the characterization is unimportant, but because your main focus is going to be on the events of the story. Short story epics are also the sort of story that requires a lot of planning, because you need the pieces to fit together much more seamlessly than with other sorts of short stories.

The key, then, is going to lie in which scenes you use to tell your story. Chances are good that you'll also have side plots, which is fine, because they can help build the story and the tone and atmosphere you wish to create.

Are you wanting to tell a war story? Find the pivotal and/or important points of that story and use only those. An epic love story? Do the same. Perhaps even combine the two. But most especially, do not be afraid of having large gaps in the timeline of the story. This is inevitable and necessary, because you only need the most important moments of the story, and I'll explain in a moment how to deal with the timeline gaps.

Once you've done this, the trick is stringing them together. Writing them as individual scenes and then just ordering them sequentially will work, but it will leave your story hanging like a limp coat on a hanger. It won't be filled out, in other words, and this is something you absolutely have to do in order to have the individual pieces come together smoothly, and this is another trick to writing short story epics.

How is it done, then? Remember that the characters and events of the story are not static and defined only by the events that you've chosen to write. What happens between these key events that you've chosen? How does it affect the characters and the scenes you're writing? Make references to these events, and understand the impact they have on the story and the characters. Remember those timeline gaps I mentioned? This is how you deal with them. Don't worry about confusing the reader because you're mentioning something that happened between the last scene and the current one. Once they understand that there are large time gaps between each scene, they'll also understand, without you ever needing to state it, that these references to unwritten events are the glue that holds the pieces of the story together.

Another key is consistency, both with the scenes you've chosen to write as well as the between-scenes events. Don't have your MC a member of the government military in one scene and a member of the rebellion in the next, with only fleeting mention of his/her defection. The defection is a pivotal moment, and requires either a scene of its own (preferable) or a great deal of foreshadowing and subsequent consequences.
  • Epic Short Story Challenge #1: Multiple story lines covering divergent or opposing pov's.
  • Epic Short Story Challenge #2: Cover more than one lifetime or century.

Codger

Advanced Techniques, Part 2

Flash Fiction
Simply, flash fiction is short. Very short. In fact, flash fiction is anything that is less than 1,000 words (or 750 or less, or 500 or less (stories this short are also sometimes called drabbles), depending on what source you're looking at). Just because it's short enough to read in five minutes or less doesn't make flash fiction easy. On the contrary, flash fiction is one of the most difficult story forms to write well precisely because it's so short. You must condense every story telling skill into very tight focus: plot, pacing, characterization, phrasing, scene, and so on. It is this focus, though, that gives flash fiction such freedom, because you only need to write about one thing for it to work.

You'll want to open with action, not description. This is a good rule of thumb for any story, but with flash fiction, description is the worst way to open the story, because it cuts into your task of making every word count. That accomplished, use only those scenes that are absolutely necessary. If at all possible, no more than one scene is best, and more than three is cutting close to excessive. Remember, you have only 1,000 words or less. You don't have time for scene setting, so you have to make each one count while still making it as complete as possible.

Once you understand these two tasks for flash fiction, you can use them to focus on the object of the story, whether that's an event or some aspect of a character's personality. For a rough comparison, flash fiction is like a vignette, in that it often concentrates on fleeting, ephemeral moments and emotions and is often used to make a statement or make clear an epiphany about something. It is this task that makes flash fiction so difficult, and why you must make every word count.

As an example:

Quote:
The horsemen galloped across the plains, covering the distance to their destination with frightening speed. Being a prisoner from their last raid, I was afraid of the havoc they would wreak when they arrived.

Now, compare that to something more poetic:

Quote:
They galloped, these horsemen, eating the miles like feasting carrion birds. Now their captive, the dreadful memory of their carnage was a festering carcass I could not escape, and I feared their next conquest.

While both examples have the same number of words, the second one is much more evocative because of the phrasing and the choice of words. While you need not follow this sort of style, it's this evocativeness you'll want to strive for when writing flash fiction, which will make it much easier to convey what you're wishing to convey.
  • Flash Fiction Challenge #1: Multiple story lines or side plots.
  • Flash Fiction Challenge #2: Series.

Collections & Series
Like flash fiction, short story collections and series can be some of the most difficult things to write. In many ways, they're very similar to writing novels, in that they take roughly the same amount of planning. Of course, each portion can be taken on its own, and in this respect, they require even more planning than do novels, but there are, fortunately, two approaches you can take, and each has its own benefits and drawbacks. But before I get into that, I'll cover some tricks that apply to both approaches.

General Techniques
The biggest thing, if you intend all the stories to be short stories, is to write them individually, put them through the critique/edit/critique/edit process until you have a result you're satisfied works as a final draft, and then start on the next one. This is important, because this lets you resist the temptation to string them together as individual chapters. It also has the benefit of making you intimately familiar with each story, so you won't be going back again and again to check on details because you'll already know them.

The second thing you want to keep in mind is that any overall themes or atmosphere you want to include should be present in each story, or should, at the least, be hinted at. Implied meaning can be just as effective as out-in-the-open meaning. Since each story should be able to stand alone without losing anything by being disassociated from the others, this is important. It takes a bit of skill, though, to keep this from seeming like you're beating the reader over the head with it, so it's good to have each story be sufficiently different from the rest that it leaves a different impression each time. Which isn't to say that each story has to be wildly different, but that the tone and events of each aren't too similar to other stories in the collection or series.

Approach #1: Collection
The first, and often the easier approach, is to choose a theme (or two) and write shorts that center around various aspects of that theme. This gives you considerable freedom in the variety of stories you can write to fill your series, but at the same time, it limits you in that you're focusing so specifically. This can be difficult, especially if you've chosen a theme you're not intimately familiar with. At the same time that this is a difficult approach to use, it's also very effective in forcing you to learn about and examine the theme(s) you've chosen if, as I said, you're not very familiar with it.

I call this first approach the scattershot approach, because it can be so varied both in terms of quality and how well the stories connect to form a larger whole. Some writers can do it very well, while others find it almost impossible to hold to their chosen theme(s). In either case, brainstorming is almost always a must, because you need to come up with many different ways you can illustrate the theme you've chosen without seeming redundant. This can be made easier if you can come up with an element or two that will tie your stories together. If you're writing about family ties, for example, you may choose to incorporate pies, ribbons, and board games in some combination in each story. They don't always need to be the focus of the story, but small coincidental connections like that will provide continuity and give the reader something to look for and think about if they notice small things like that, even if they're only mentioned in one line in some of the stories.

I mention brainstorming, of course, because it is a great starting point for coming up with ideas. Even if you don't use all of them, the ones you don't use may give you more ideas that you can incorporate, either as themes for their own story or as a subtheme in one or several stories to add depth. In this instance, the plot bunnies are your friends and should be allowed to multiply.

Approach #2: Series
The second approach is to write an actual series of stories, using the same characters and/or world. This is very similar to writing an actual novel, except that each part is capable of standing on its own. The benefit of this approach is consistency, because you'll be working with the same characters, the same world, and possibly even the same themes throughout every installment. The hard part? Not turning it into a novel. Because you're going to be working with the same characters, the same world, and so on, it is very, very tempting (and sometimes easier) to just turn the whole project into a solid, single story.

How do you deal with this? There are two methods, both of which I highly recommend making use of. The first, and most effective, is to not work on each installment in chronological order. The second method is to have large gaps in the overall timeline, to be filled as you work on each story. Using these two methods forces you to more closely focus on each story and how it can stand on its own, because it forces you to disassociate it from the larger, contiguous whole. This is rather like bones in a skeleton: each bone is a complete piece in and of itself, and can be examined and treated as such, but when put together, they form a larger structure that is greater than the sum of its parts.

If you do choose to write a short story series, I do not suggest taking my advice about putting each story through the draft/critique/edit/critique/edit process as optional, simply because the goal of this approach is to have each story stand on its own. Working on each story consecutively without doing this, even if you do write each one out of order, makes it very nearly impossible to avoid having one or several of them relying on one or more of the others in order to be understood.
  • Short Story Collection/Series Challenge #1: Combine both approaches.
  • Short Story Collection/Series Challenge #2: Use one to write about the other (a collection to write about a chain of events or a series to write about a theme).

Codger

Questions, Answers, & Feedback From Others

Since I'm obviously not the only writer around with advice and/or answers for short stories, I've decided to include a list of questions and advice from others on aspects that are also useful in writing them. Some of it is material I completely overlooked, and some of it is merely a different approach which you may find works better for how you write than what I've provided, and some of it is general questions that may not have been satisfactorily answered in the guide itself. Where applicable, I'll update the guide to include these various points of advice (and give due credit) so that it's as complete as possible.

---

RandomSamurai
This is indeed probably the best writing guide I've ever seen on gaia. But I'd be forced to disagree on one point. Characterisation can still be very important in a short story.
You simply have to know what you're trying to do. In a short comedy piece or heavily plot centered story then indeed, thick characterisation isn't necessarily necessary. But characterisation can be the whole point of a short story, in which case the plot becomes the thing to cut down on.
Moreso in a short story than a novel you have to know exactly what you're getting at, and focus on the aspects of storytelling that will be most effective in getting your point across, whatever they might be.

---

Endrael
Tailos
Endrael
Tailos
...when writing short stories, does the plot itself have to follow the classical Hero's Journey? I recall - somewhere in the vague portions of English literature classes, in between the napping and non-attendance - reading pieces of prose which seemingly had little to no conflict. And yet they were considered short stories?

Alternatively, can I write a scene taking place in 20,000 words without having any real direction and yet still call it a short story?

Strictly, the definition of a short story is simply word count, so as long as they meet that criteria, they would be short stories.

If they say it needs a plot, my usual response is to thumb my nose at them and write something that has no plot but which still can be considered a story.

Thank you for answering. :]

And yet, that's sort of the issue I feel needs clarification. I've always figured a story to mean a sequence of events that, in turn, lead to conflict and subsequent resolution. Writing a 20k word count scene isn't quite the same, in such.

What's the line between short story and a long scene? Does it matter at all?

As long as there's movement of some sort, it's a story. So if you're just describing the mountains and the weather, you're just writing description, but if you have characters talking or doing something and the scene is complete in and of itself, you have a story.

---

Hekiko
I'm taking a class in short literary fiction right now, so this is mostly the opinion of my TA and my take on them.

One way to approach a story is to limit the number of events and characters to an amount that it's easy to flesh them out. For example, in a novel, there might be 10 or more characters who need to be fleshed out, but in a short story it's probably better to just have 2 or 3 characters fleshed out, then try to include 10 people with no characterization. Same with events, there really only needs to be one or two things happening. I can't really argue here. Since short stories are smaller, they need to be limited in scale and not look like an outline to a fantasy novel.

The second axiom is to use detail. Short stories are a completely different artform than novels, and they really should not be 'novel redux'. My TA carries this to extremes, wanting details about pretty much everything. Personally, I do think there needs to be selective focus on details. A lot of description in the right place is great, but an author needs to make sure their descriptions are adding something to the narrative, rather than just being redundant or irrelevant.

The third axiom is include things from real life. I don't know how far this would apply in Science Fiction/Fantasy, but if there's a limited space to make a connection, including little things from real life that can evoke an emotion of "That's so true!" will help make the story more emotionally involving. This is another one I agree with, although I would probably stipulate making sure that the details fit the location and tone of the story, or at least have an intentional effect.

---

Endrael
LordSoma
Endrael
lynx wings
Quote:
Time
As with side plots, short stories rarely are about events that span more than a few days or weeks. By contrast, the plots of most novels take place over months or years. There are some notable exceptions to this, such as Michael Crichton's Andromeda Strain, but novels like this are quite rare. Because of this, most story ideas that require a large span of story time to tell will be difficult to write as a short story for the simple reason of all the detail necessary to give the idea justice.

I disagree with this. Have you read "Brokeback Mountain?" "The Great Automatic Grammatizator" by Roald Dahl spans a year or so.

Also, a lot of more thriller-ish type novels only take up a couple days. I run across these pretty frequently.

Most short stories do seem to cover a fairly short about of time, but it's not really a rule. In fiction you can jump twenty years in a sentence.

Sorry. I'm nitpicky today. Other than that I think your guide is fantastic.

Aye, and I don't disagree. As a generality, however, novels that take place over only a few days and short stories that span several years or more are the exception to the norm. Thrillers, as you mention, are possibly the only novel form which consistently take place over only a few days, simply because that's the main technique of thrillers: keep the story moving, and do it fast, so the reader doesn't have time to get bored.

As a generality, yes, but I don't think it's as broad a generality as one might expect. Many of the most effective short stories I've read were ones that took place over a number of years (about 30-ish, I think, was the highest I counted, though I'm sure I must have read ones that covered more time), and the more I think, the more of them I remember. Likewise, I've read more than a few non-thriller novels that took place over as few as 2 days.

I vote for taking that part out of the original post. Just suffice to say that the actual word count is shorter and leave it at that; beyond that, the time of the story depends entirely on the narrative techniques used, which boil down to:
Length of text > length of time -- Description
Length of text < length of time -- Summary
Length of text = length of time -- Dialogue
Length of text = 0 -- Ellipse ("Four years later..." etc.)

Saying that short stories cover less time, even if it's just as a generality, is misleading. It's like saying that humans, as a generality, are meat-eaters; technically it's true, but the number of people who aren't part of that generality is too large to leave out of the equation.

I see your point, though it fails to convince me. Both your and lynx wings' comments do, however, leave me with the impression that it's dependant on what your usual reading material is for how true the generality is. Very few of the novels I've read have taken place over a short time span, and likewise very few of the short stories I've read have taken place over long periods of time. I tend toward fantasy, sci-fi, and horror in my reading, with a tendency of avoiding most Hollywood fodder (for lack of a better term), simply because I find the writing and/or story rather dull. I no longer read Michael Crichton's books because of this, for example. (I'll admit here that 90% of my reading material over the last two or three years has been non-fiction, so this in itself may further skew my perception, though I can't see as it would be much, since it's neither short story nor novel in the sense we're concerned with.)

I do think your human = meat eater comparison is inaccurate, because the percentage of people who strictly don't eat meat (and I'm being generous on this and counting those who still eat animal products such as cheese, yogurt, and eggs as well as strict vegetarians) is still a very small portion of the population. Following my assumption that we have different reading tendencies, the same holds true for this, as well. Depending on the sampling you take, you'll get different ratios, some saying that non-meat eaters are very prevalent, others saying they're virtually non-existant, and others somewhere in the middle.

Essentially, I think we're both correct. I'll make changes to the paragraph in question to reflect that, and add this exchange to the quotes/feedback/other advice section of my planned recreation of this thread so that people can have a more rounded understanding of this method of story telling. 3nodding

Many thanks for the feedback/critique, since it lets me know how this guide can be improved, which is always appreciated. biggrin

---

Teowyn
Endrael
The second trick is summarizing. We don't need to be walked through the processes of how your characters go about finding information, for example. We only need to know what they were looking for, how they were looking for it, and whether or not they found it. The same holds true for long, complex actions that, while pertinent to the story, are not necessary for understanding it. If your characters are receiving help to enter a high-security area, we don't need to know the specifics of how the doors are opened and the security check-points passed unless it's directly pertinent to the story.

I do see where you are coming from. There isn't room in a short story to waste words by step-listing through a day. But at the same time, I am hesitant to advise any short story writer to summarize. I know. I'm just picking words, but hey, writers are in the business of words.

To me, summary implies telling instead of showing. The writer is interfering with the natural progression of the story. Instead of stepping back and letting the reader catch up, a short story needs to use every word to move forward. If it's necessary for the character to get from point A to point B, a writer shouldn't say it, the character should just move there in less than a sentence.

sigh. I'm not explaining myself well. Let me see if I can clarify:

A short story writer should never summarize action. A short story writer should present action precisely and consisely. And if an action is not necessary to move the story, red ink, cut, trim until the story is healthy again.

---

Alea Facta Est
Time: Novels usually don't go consistently over a period of time; when you have long-term novels, they skip the boring bits. So authors shouldn't feel obliged to devote as much attention to all parts--example, The Hobbit; the ending takes a considerably shorter time than the beginning because nothing of note happens. Most novels I've read are actually relatively short-term, like over a period of days (Good Omens, for instance, picks apart one week, etc.)

Conveying Mood should also mention the idea of a 'voice'. For instance, lots of short sentences make the flow more abrupt, better for action scenes or scenes of tension; longer sentences are better for descriptions--and this all depends on the narrator.

Short stories that center around characters from a novel also tend to allow for a better exposition of aspects of the character that didn't belong in the novel.

And yes, novels can have lots of superfluous detail! Length is good, but it should also be meaningful.

---

Teowyn
I just had to repeat myself. This is good. Incredibly detailed and useful.

I love short stories.

I find it very difficult to choose an arbitrary length at which to say: this is no longer a short story, it has become a novella (or a novel). It would be nice to have a standard word count across all fiction, but there are too many non-definables.

Part of what makes a short story different from a novel is its feel. Such a wishy-washy word, right? But it's important.

Novels feel different than short stories. In a short story, every sentence, every word even, has to move the story to an end. Novels are less intense, but more complex. A novel can spend chapters getting to know the characters and situation, but a short story has to define character and setting within the first paragraph or so.

Just because a novelist has finished a good, sellable book does not mean she can write a short story. And just because a writer can write a good short story does not mean she can write a novel. I won't say one is harder than the other. Both are hard. They just require a different focus on a similar skill set.

I can't speak about novellas. Not because they don't exist, but because I have a hard time defining them as a separate art form. They feel ephemeral to me. I've read novellas that were short novels, and ones that were long short stories--but never one that said: "this is a novella because this is what novellas feel like."

But I'm ranting away from the point that I was trying to make. I think that any set of standard ground rules to define the differences between novels, novellas, and short stories would be inaccurate to some degree. That's why publishers are so different--they're looking for something specific in a difficult to define arena. But word count is an especially problematic way to differentiate. Which is why guides like this one (and teachers, and workshop leaders) give a very broad range to work within.

Short stories are not shorter variations of a novel. They are a variant art form that also happens to involve words as a medium.

Codger

Reserved, just in case. biggrin

Codger

Also reserved, just in case. biggrin

Codger

And now open for business. mrgreen
I stick with my previous testimony.

Sombody should come up with set ground rules as to what is a short story, what is a novella, and what is a novel. That has always confused me.
I luuuuuuuuve Endrael's short story guides. Subscribed and cookied. Chocolate chips for everyone!

@Sugarpill:
Endrael
The word count for what's considered a short story, novella, and novel will occasionally vary depending on the source you're using for reference. Some will say short stories are anything with as little as 5,000 words or less, others will say novels are anything with 60,000 words or more, and novellas fall between those two ranges.

General consensus, though, is that short stories are 20,000 words or less, novels are 50,000 or more, and novellas fall between those two. If in doubt, check the guidelines of the publisher you're looking at to find out their word count definitions, especially if you're intent on sending a piece to a magazine.

EDIT: Oh, you were looking for standards. I misread the question. Still, these are pretty widely accepted definitions, give or take a few thousand words. And, like Endrael said, if you're looking to submit something they'll have their own word count guidelines.

I love short stories.

I find it very difficult to choose an arbitrary length at which to say: this is no longer a short story, it has become a novella (or a novel). It would be nice to have a standard word count across all fiction, but there are too many non-definables.

Part of what makes a short story different from a novel is its feel. Such a wishy-washy word, right? But it's important.

Novels feel different than short stories. In a short story, every sentence, every word even, has to move the story to an end. Novels are less intense, but more complex. A novel can spend chapters getting to know the characters and situation, but a short story has to define character and setting within the first paragraph or so.

Just because a novelist has finished a good, sellable book does not mean she can write a short story. And just because a writer can write a good short story does not mean she can write a novel. I won't say one is harder than the other. Both are hard. They just require a different focus on a similar skill set.

I can't speak about novellas. Not because they don't exist, but because I have a hard time defining them as a separate art form. They feel ephemeral to me. I've read novellas that were short novels, and ones that were long short stories--but never one that said: "this is a novella because this is what novellas feel like."

But I'm ranting away from the point that I was trying to make. I think that any set of standard ground rules to define the differences between novels, novellas, and short stories would be inaccurate to some degree. That's why publishers are so different--they're looking for something specific in a difficult to define arena. But word count is an especially problematic way to differentiate. Which is why guides like this one (and teachers, and workshop leaders) give a very broad range to work within.

Short stories are not shorter variations of a novel. They are a variant art form that also happens to involve words as a medium.

Codger

Teowyn

I love short stories.

mad d heart I'm sure this is redundant, since it's on the first page of this guide, but I'm going to add this to the feedback section. This is wonderful. mrgreen

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff