Welcome to Gaia! ::

Codger

Yep. That's right. All of your precious story ideas belong to me. Because I own them.

When you think about it, this makes sense, doesn't it? Statistically, chances are quite high that I've thought of the exact same idea you have, or some variation of it, so therefore the idea is actually mine. And since you can't prove you thought of it first (unless you're older than me, which is another statistical improbability, given the average age of most gaia users), I declare, by executive fiat, that all ideas are mine.

---

Anyone getting my point? No? I didn't think so.

There is an inherent absurdity and lack of sense in the idea that you can own an idea. It is, in fact, a logical impossibility. You can not own something that is not tangible and which can not be proven to exist. This is like saying you own god. Ridiculous, yes?

This is rooted in the mistaken assumption that putting an idea into a tangible form means that idea is then tangible, and can thus be owned, but this is misleading. The idea does not become concrete when it is written down. It remains an idea, intangible and ephemeral. Writing an idea down, or painting it, or carving it, or whatever, is merely the creation of a representation of that idea, and it is this representation that can be owned. But the idea itself? No.

Of course, there's also the fear that, by sharing your idea with someone else, they'll automatically go out and create something so similar to what you had in mind, and in a better way, that all your efforts will have been in vain. This is just as ridiculous as thinking that you can own an idea, for two reasons.

The first is that no two people think exactly alike, and the possibility of the other person creating something almost exactly like what you had planned is so miniscule as to be an impossibility. Let's take an example given by Stephen King in his book On Writing to make this clear: Say Stephen King and another writer are given the writing prompt of a lake in the desert. Stephen King says the most likely story for him is something bizarre crawling out of the lake and devouring the tourists. The other writer, who does westerns, will likely think of a lone rider stopping to water his horse, or of people fighting as they attempt to control the water source for themselves.

Reason number two is that sharing an idea does not deprive you of the idea. You still have it, and you can still use it to create your own works. This is rather like sending a file to someone over IM: the receiving party now has a copy of the file, and you haven't lost the file you just sent.

Of course, there is a problem with not sharing ideas, and this is an aspect most people overlook because it's not obvious. What is it? It limits creativity, and creativity is the life blood of the artistic endeavor. Every single piece of artistry you have been exposed to in your life (including your own), whether that artistry be in written form, painting, music, or whatever, has come about because of the confluence of ideas generated by other people and those people then giving form to their ideas. To simplify this concept further: art feeds on art, and every piece of art is a derivative of other artwork, even if there is no obvious connection between the inspiring piece and the end result of the inspiration it provoked.

Basically, my point is this: Stop being a**l retentive and getting snarky when people ask for help coming up with ideas. Being possessive of something it is impossible to own is, I dare say, stupid. Why worry that someone is going to use the idea when they're going to see that idea when you make the final product public? And, as Veive said in her Your Ideas Are Not Special thread, your ideas are not unique to you and have been used millions of times in other works all over the world. Hoarding them, then, is doubly stupid.

It is, ultimately, the end product of the idea that is important, and not the idea itself when it comes to getting a story written.
Ummm... good job?

I think most of us realize the repetiotion in writing, that a basic idea has been used before. You really haven't said anything new.
Huzzah, this wins.

My only unsavory comment is that Veive already very nicely said this in a throrough and detailed article, and the people who aren't going to pay any heed to Veive's article probably won't pay any heed to yours. But still. Undeniable truths drips from your words. I give you this cookie in recognition:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Codger

Ocarina654
Ummm... good job?

I think most of us realize the repetiotion in writing, that a basic idea has been used before. You really haven't said anything new.

That's not the point I was making. Read it again. I'm not bitching about people complaining about ideas having been used before. I'm bitching about people not wanting to share ideas.

Codger

Little Red Hen
Huzzah, this wins.

My only unsavory comment is that Veive already very nicely said this in a throrough and detailed article, and the people who aren't going to pay any heed to Veive's article probably won't pay any heed to yours. But still. Undeniable truths drips from your words. I give you this cookie in recognition:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

rofl I realize Veive said something roughly similar, and, again, I'm not decrying the fact that there are no new ideas. I'm bitching about people's reluctance to share ideas.
You speak sooth Endrael. Never again will I be afraid to share my ideas on this board. Not that I ever was, but now I have no reason to be.

And on a side note your avvy went from 'Mr. White' to 'Mr. Rocks My Face Off' really fast.
Very nice, but it's been done. gonk
Mokipoki
Very nice, but it's been done. gonk
People need a reminder every once in a while. Just like how you can say "consult your doctor about possible side effects" about the latest Biduvacinol pill or whatever, and then you still have to say it later otherwise you'll get sued when someone grows teeth on the inside of their eyelids.
The reason people don't share their ideas is because, unless it fails at
a story, they put some kind of effort into it. They worked at it and shaped
it into a story that they're proud to call their own. Even if it only exists in their mind, they feel they're the only ones who can properly put it into words. And telling someone about it, besides in a written and possibly copyrighted text, is like giving away all their hard work as if it was for nothing. And that's because many people are distrustful.
[ Pixel ]
it into a story that they're proud to call their own. Even if it only exists in their mind, they feel they're the only ones who can properly put it into words. And telling someone about it, besides in a written and possibly copyrighted text, is like giving away all their hard work as if it was for nothing. And that's because many people are distrustful.

Exactly, I would really love to share my work honest to god, but I just can't rely on my friends to not steal it. I suppose I'm just screwed up that way, but that's how it is. Already someone I had really trusted stole a character of mine to use in their story, and I didn't want to say no to them because, well, he was my best friend.

So in order for me not to do that again, I don't share ideas with anyone but my sister. And I find most of them to be rather original, no matter what anyone says, and when you keep things to yourself, like Pixel said, you don't fail at what you want to do.
I share ideas all the time, except the ones I plan to use. Those I use.

Anything that occurs to me and isn't directly tied into one of the projects I've got going on in my head I'm always happy to offer up to anyone that seems like they could benefit from them.

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
I share my ideas. I figure they're too boring for someone to want to steal them, or too unlikely to actually make sense once I'm done with them. If anyone else can do it, then kudos for them.

*hugs Endrael* I now can't get the image of some crazed man hiding away somewhere dark and whispering "oh, my precious ideas, no one will find you here. No one will hurt you, my pretties." out of my head.
My ideas don't belong to you. They belong to the Walt Disney Company. I signed a wavier when I went to work for them that said so. You'll have to take it up with them. mrgreen
TsukiMizu
[ Pixel ]

Exactly, I would really love to share my work honest to god, but I just can't rely on my friends to not steal it. I suppose I'm just screwed up that way, but that's how it is. Already someone I had really trusted stole a character of mine to use in their story, and I didn't want to say no to them because, well, he was my best friend.

So in order for me not to do that again, I don't share ideas with anyone but my sister. And I find most of them to be rather original, no matter what anyone says, and when you keep things to yourself, like Pixel said, you don't fail at what you want to do.

You seem to be mistaking an actual IDEA for its tangible representation, just like Endreal is saying people are doing. There's a difference between a small little thing (ie the lake) and the fully formed thing that has all the notes and work put into it to shape it into something that would actually be a story.

Endreal is talking about the lake. Not the story that COMES from the lake. He's talking about the lake because it seems that most of the people that come posting their story ideas on here have the lake, not the story. The give small little generic plots that a million people could write a million different ways, and the thing is, you just can't OWN that.
Can you take these stupid ideas off my hands? Wonderful.

I don't think there's anything wrong with either type: people who don't share their ideas, and people who do. The people who do, however, will usually be the better writers. Sharing ideas, bouncing them off people, getting feedback, and seeing what someone else makes of your random brainstorming are all valuable parts of writing. (Myself, I enjoy lurking on prompted writing contests just to see the completely different things people come up with.)

Lovely article. Nice, true, and to the point.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff