Welcome to Gaia! ::

Once again, Veive's wisdom shines through the mire of bad WF threads. I read the whole thing, and loved it.

Keep stabbing the WF with the Sword of Truth. lolgoodkind
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

*insert sound of singing angels*
omgtehsuiso
Once again, Veive's wisdom shines through the mire of bad WF threads. I read the whole thing, and loved it.

Keep stabbing the WF with the Sword of Truth. lolgoodkind

I had to throw in a reference to him. I could honestly cite him as a bad example for EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE. God, I hate that man. He has some interesting ideas, but he never actually follows the consequences. Does he really think that people would be interested in having the Lady Who Can Take Away Free Will as a ruler? Christ, I'd get a mob and kill her real quick.

Apparently, in Goodkindland, saying that a character is "good" is enough to qualify them in everyone's mind, even if they represent what every single person fears the most. Sigh.
Triste-chan

*insert sound of singing angels*

Why thank you, Sir Galahad (the Pure).
Excellent. Pure excellence, if I do say so myself.

I dub thy rant of holy perfection an A+.
Thank you, Veive. Okay, most of this is common sense that I can't believe people don't know, but... knowing people, quite possible.

Allow me to mention Stephen King in relation to your last point; one of the coolest things about him is how he's an omniscient narrator and sometimes tells you as an aside how whatever affects other people. It's super cool.

I liked that Crichton essay, by the way.
Quote:
Things never have just one effect on just one person. Living in the desert will effect the whole society, not just your one main character. I don't want to hear about how your main character is dying of thirst while the others seem to always have full waterskins.

Two words for you: necrotic kidneys. ;P Maybe that's not gratuitous authorial illogic, but an important plot tipoff.
(This, by the way, is illustrative of Veive's point about how taking time to consider things in new ways provides interesting story fodder).
The only thing that could possibly make this thread more awesome is Freddie Mercury.

User Image

There we go.
Great thread Vieve!

I'm surprised more people haven't posted...

It's more useful than that "does anyone want to be an author" thread.
Jabberwocky Sinope XXVII
The only thing that could possibly make this thread more awesome is Freddie Mercury.

User Image

There we go.

And here is a french pie...
That was an amazing rant/guide. I think my life is closer to completion.
Veive? Thank you so very very much, but I have the opposite problem. Things in my plots just keep spiderwebbing and spiderwebbing and becoming more and more contrived. Could you please post something on knowing when to stop? I tend to follow logical consequences too far. crying
x_haphazard_x
Veive? Thank you so very very much, but I have the opposite problem. Things in my plots just keep spiderwebbing and spiderwebbing and becoming more and more contrived. Could you please post something on knowing when to stop? I tend to follow logical consequences too far. crying

Haha, after I get all caught up on my novels, dear. 3nodding
You allways have great ideas. I think this is one of the better help guides you have written. It is very informative and is something everyone should keep in mind.

Logic is good. Logic is something that should be in the back of our minds while we are writing. We should all ask ourselves whether or not something is logical while we type away.

Logic it not allways nessicary. If something doesn't make sense, often the reader won't care if they like the story. This is true.

Case in point: The American superhero comic is often times completly illogical yet people love them.

Another example is the movie Kill Bill. The characters constanly defie logic but the movie is caried by sheer force of style. Yet another example are the Dragon Ball series (and its many incarnations). Plot holes abound in the series but people tend to overlook it.

Of course these are rather poor examples, but I am drawing a blank at the moment.

Logic is important, but I beleave that logic can be pushed aside every now and agian in the persuit of style.

Everything has an exception.

But really people let us follow the advice of our good freind Veive here and try and keep things logical.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff