Welcome to Gaia! ::

How to make your cultures exotic

This was originally posted in a thread. However, I clarified some of the points and added to it. If you disagree on any point, feel free to express yourself.

1. Have both variation and similarity. Very recently, my art teacher gave us an assignment for a circle design. We were to make a 12'' diameter circle and fill it with smaller circles, and put designs within those circles. Curing the pre-assignment lecture, she gave us a bit of advice: Namely, that we should choose one of the following:

1) A variation in pattern and similarity in color.
2) A variation in color and similarity in pattern.

I chose to have varying patterns but all warm colors, and it came out quite nicely. The point is that this can apply very nicely to cultures, like the culture you'll need to design for your fairies. There should be something unifying the culture in all aspects. Take fashion, for instance. Maybe the most formal possible outfit for a certain people(the equivalent of our gown and tuxedo) is a short skirt and sandals. Perhaps a certain word is taboo for them.

At the same time, there should be variation. You can do a lot with a short skirt: it can be any color, for instance (although some colors could be better than others in your culture), and surely some people don't care what words are taboo.

2. Morality, philosophy, values: all of these can (and often should) be different. Back in the Middle Ages, what was 'good' and 'bad' was often decided by what the church said. Today, the west is much more secular. The fairies aren't Americans, though, and they shouldn't have the same values as Americans either. Maybe your people think religion is silly and old fashioned, or maybe they're very superstitious.

Their views on violence may be different. They could be like people of the Middle Ages, who burned those who they thought were dangerous or different. This is more likely if the standard of living is low, by the way (see point three). They could also be at the opposite extreme, though you should try not to make them too sentimentaly perfect.

The most important part of this is actually living these things, rather than just saying them. In fact, you can make what they say and what they do very different. In America we all pay lip service to the environment, but few people actually give a s**t.

3) Different standard of living and general lifestyle. The standard of living is the amount of luxuries the average person can afford. It's fairly obvious. You could make the people have a high standard of living (which comes with it's own problems - you won't see many Middle Eastern girls with bulimia, but it's becoming an epidemic here), even higher than ours. Or you could make it lower so that even survival becomes more of an issue. Some things to consider here are:

1) Availability of food/water
2) Availability of jobs
3) Medical care
4) Personal freedoms
5) Education

A lower standard of living causes discontent and occasionally violence. A lack of education leads to all sorts of problems: look at what lack of AIDS eduaction has done to Africa. Personal freedoms will also effect general happiness. When living in a country like the USA, where we rarely have to seriously worry about the government or getting the things we need to survive (there are exceptions, of course), we tend to think that everyone's happiness will be like ours: defined by our relationships, our ideals, our self-image. It's hard for us to imagine that there are some women who don't give a damn whether or not they love who they're marrying - after all, he's going to keep her clothed and sheltered, and take care of her children.

You can also change around more basic, superficial things in their lives. For instance, do they attend school for the same hours as we do, if they have schools? Are the schools structured the same? Do they eat three meals a day? Do they eat together? What do they do for entertainment? That's a brief list, but you can think of other additions, no doubt. When building a culture, these are the things you can play with.

4. General behavior should be different from culture to culture. Picture this: A boy giggling and talking about fashion. A boy reading poetry. A boy kissing another boy on the cheek. A boy applying makeup - blush, sparkly eyeshadow, the works.

What was your first thought?

Yeah, I thought so. But think about this: there have been societies in the past where writing poetry and kissing other men on the cheek was acceptable and normal. In America, this isn't so. But when you're creating a new culture, you don't necessarily want to keep these mannerisms. America is hyperfocused on the concept of 'manliness,' but maybe elves aren't so much into gender roles. Or maybe they consider poetry to be a masculine art.

This applies to superficial mannerisms as well (bowing or saying 'hello' in greeting, etc.), of course, but it can also go deeper than that. An example of this can be found in George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. There is a society there (I forget the name, probably Quarth) where crying often in considered the mark of a civilized man. Here, it is the mark of a crybaby.

5. General behavior should be different from person to person. I'll keep this short, because it's somewhat obvious: not everyone in your culture should act exactly the same. Once again, there must be both similarity and variation. Not every elf should ve a carbon copy of the next. Don't get so caught up in the culture that you forget the character.

6. Language, accents, and even popular phrases will all be different. I'm horribly guilty of this, and someday, I'll comb through my writing and fix the dialogue so that it makes sense culturally. I just have trouble thinking of every aspect at once, damnit.

Anyway, excuses aside, this has three aspects:

1) Language itself. I know, I know, it's horribly inconvenient to have characters speaking different languages. It - GASP - complicates things. It may mean that you won't be able to have one character from every race in a party to save the universe from the Dark Lord. But damnit, fantasy should make some semblance of sense. So here's the deal: If two countries are very close together, they can speak the same/similar languages, especially if a more powerful country spreads their cultural influence over to the weaker country. If a country conquers or colonizes another country, it would make sense for them to speak the same language. If two countries used to be one country and got split up, it makes sense for them to speak the same language. Otherwise, no. People from the unknown island that no one has seen for 1,000 years are not going to understand your main character from the mainland. kthx.

2) Accents - this is fairly obvious. Try not to make it too annoying, please. I, personally, HATE when authors phonetically spell words the way their characters say them. Remember that they can make people hard to understand, please, and remember that your character probably won't have a very good one, so it's likely that others will know that they're foreign even if they speak the language.

3) Phrases - Many fantasy authors like making up new phrases for theur fantasy world. You know, "By the Goddess" for those goddess worshippers, or "Your mother was an Orc," if you want to be insulting. But people often forget that such phrases will change from culture to culture. Don't have everyone in the world using the same phrases if they're from different countries.

7. Make it yours. In addition to making a culture different from your own culture and the other cultures in the story, you also should make your culture different from all the other created cultures from all the other fantasy artists in the world. You have to give it something that is yours.

Now, how do you do this? The first thing is to focus on something that interests you or something you find cool. VonDarvi made an excellent thread recently on creating little bits of culture in your story. He gave a broad description of his world's overall culture: "So, mine is a sort of combination of Dune, Cyberpunk and Warhammer 40k." It has a basis in other things, clearly, as even he admits.

However, he also adds this: "The quirks come in the random stuff: For example, I'm a total gun lover, and I realized that the size of the most common anti-hard target sniper rifle's spent shell casing is similar, diameter-wise, to a shot glass. Hence, the "sniper shot", which is one of the casings filled with alchohol. It's a pretty hardcore drink- enough to blow someone's brains out. It's like shots of tequila, but bigger." VonDarvi took something he found interesting and created a new aspect of life for his world. A small aspect, admittedly, but a new one. For me, I added on a new level to my story when I added in a drug subculture to worry about.

Does this mean you have to go out of your way and make sure that your culture is like nothing the world has ever seen before? Well, no. Someone else may have done a desert community of fairies, but that doesn't mean you can't. You should, however, make sure that you're not just rehashing the old 'nature-loving elves' or 'hermit dwarves' without adding anything or taking anything away.
heart heart heart

I have nothing else to say...
Navenna
heart heart heart

I have nothing else to say...

woot. <3
Hot. This will come in handy for my next attempt to write fantasy (which hopefully won't be too soon, considering the multitudes of projects I have going on now).

Yay Triste. <3

Just something I don't think you covered... different speech cadences are usually cool, although occasionally annoying.
blue_icicle
Hot. This will come in handy for my next attempt to write fantasy (which hopefully won't be too soon, considering the multitudes of projects I have going on now).

Yay Triste. <3

Just something I don't think you covered... different speech cadences are usually cool, although occasionally annoying.

I could add a bit on that.
You make good points, Triste. I like when people rant. I know that the people who REALLY need to read this probably aren't reading it, but it can be nice for others who want to compare ideas or just need a little clearing up of the concepts.

Well, I know it'll vary with cultures, but what about different age groups? You know, how we're generally taught to respect the elderly, and to be nice to children, though no one takes them seriously, etc. If you really wanted to make your world different, you might switch some of it around a bit. Not sure if it's that important or not, but I don't see people messing with this factor much, and it might take a little more to get us disconnected enough from the society for us to stop comparing it so much to our own.

I like the "manliness" statement. I noticed how ignorant people are of the differences society goes through, let alone how different fantasy cultures are. We read a book in English where a sixteen year old guy cried, because his friend, who was a great athlete, broke his leg and wouldn't be able to run again. It was mostly his fault--he was feeling jealous and knocked him out of the tree--anger management issues, I 'spose--but he really had no intention of purposely harming him. This took place around WWII time, and when we got through that section my classmates started asking, "Is he gay?" rolleyes No, guys, he's not automatically gay because he cares about his friend.

And if things are that difference just because of a few decades of time, I can only imagine how different another country could be, let alone a different world. Good rant, Triste, good rant.

Quotable Autobiographer

9,325 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Totally agree, and you expressed your opinions very nicely. heart
WahoO! I loved this.
You make a very good point. The cultures people make up in their stories tend to be carbon copies of whatever culture they live in, regardless of how many independent nations they are writing about. The language barrier is annoying, but it has to be considered- after all, fantasy needs at least some semblence of realism, or it becomes too unbelievable.

Ikku-Ray: Is the book you are referring to A Separate Peace? I read that freshman year and I remember quite a few of my classmates shouting, "Oh my god, Gene is gay!" It's rather annoying to find how many people see non-traditional gender behavior as signs of homosexuality, especially for the straight men who are constantly subjected to annoying comments. Personally, I like the idea of creating a culture where it is common for men to kiss each other on the cheeks as a greeting and even to wear long skirts or makeup. It might be a nice little shock for all the people living in a fantasy-brand plastic bubble.
You mention a boy kissing. Well, to delve farther, is kissing even thought correct? I've thought about this sometimes, although I rarely write fantasy. Who says kissing is normal for people there? If you were a different race, culture, planet, whatever, would you come to America and see peoples' lips touching and be like, "Oh, ok?"

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
LaverneTerres
You mention a boy kissing. Well, to delve farther, is kissing even thought correct? I've thought about this sometimes, although I rarely write fantasy. Who says kissing is normal for people there? If you were a different race, culture, planet, whatever, would you come to America and see peoples' lips touching and be like, "Oh, ok?"

Levels of what is considered decent is -very- important to culture. This is why guys from America may think that guys from Mexico are always getting in their face and guys for Mexico think that Americans are cold and aloof. We have diferent concepts of what is a decent amount of space to keep between each other. Exposure of the body, what gets shaved and who has to do the shaving, friendly touching and so on are all extremely dependant on society's norms.

I agree with everything in the original post, and would like to add that one of the best ways to develop a good, solid set of cultures is to think a little into the history of that culture. The environment in which it developed is also important.

Most of what we consider normal today was developed as something new by the people before us. Our views on life as westerners are affected deeply by Christianity or even simply Monotheism, whether we're religious or not, and those philosophies in turn are influenced by Plato, Aristotle, and the like. In a land where Aristotle never existed, it's important to think a little on what replaced him, and what that means for how people think about life and each other.
True, true. This is a good rant, if I may say so.

Most cultures base themselves off one another, branching off and making their own ajustments.

Some cultures are just off the wall with rules, and it's fun to incorperate that kind of setting into fantasy writing, but I do see a lot of writers forget their main setting and rules and break them with items that aren't supposed to exist. I.E. a mermaid watching papers fall to the ground. ((I ACTUALLY SAW THAT, IT WAS HORRIFYING!))
upper-dated. woot.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces