Welcome to Gaia! ::

This is partly inspired by reading a number of insipid fantasy novels and by looking at my own, with its lack of anything but introspection. Yes, I need to revise it very much.

Alright. Cue typical fantasy scene.

Marianna looked at Decinde, looked at the entrails he held up to her in a bloody offering and, worst of all, the head that stared at her with empty eyesockets, its tongue cut out and nailed to its forehead.

She staggered backwards. "Oh... God," Marianna whispered, crossing herself, "oh god in the heavens."

Decinde dumped the collected organs of her lover on the floor in front of her, wordless, then turned to leave with a flash of white teeth in the dusk. Marianna managed a word out of her mouth as a single crystalline tear slipped down her face.

"Why?" Her voice was quiet, quavering in the deepening darkness.

Dramatic? Yes. Overdone? Oh, hell yes.

So what's wrong with this scene?

The quick would say it's the crystalline tear. Yes, a very overused imagery-- however, that is but a symptom of the real problem.

And here it is.

There is no passion.

All heroes or heroines appear to be the sort who don't want to cry in public, or whose shoulders shake quietly instead of bursting into tears, or who growl with rage instead of bursting into white-hot fury, or who get all depressed rather than turning it into negative emotions to fuel whatever's inside of them. Certainly, everyone responds to events differently, but I am very tired of every single character reacting the same way. Oh, unless it's the love interest, in which case she's allowed to cry her heart out prettily.

You know what?

I am very tired of this. So very tired. Please, give us some characters who act like normal humans and scream, yell, snap with frustration, and sob their hearts out even when there are people around. Emotional people aren't always pretty, either; people seem to forget this. Characters' eyes can blaze with anger, but their face never contorts and their mouth never twists or opens in a sick smile. Characters can shed single tears, but they never break down sobbing and have their nose and eyes turn red. We, as humans, are not generally pretty no matter what emotion we're going through. Keep this in mind.

Let's go over the emotions.

Anger. If a character feels anger in stories, it is often cold anger, anger that refines their senses. But why not make it the white-hot rage that sets your tongue going faster than your head, makes your vision blur, and makes you want to reach out and snap someone's neck? We've all been in this situation. Yes, we're scared of the ones who don't seem to get angry, but if you've never been in a room with someone who is scream-and-yell-and-break-things angry, you have never really known how ******** scary it is. Not all people who rarely get angry have cold anger; I know several, including myself, who when provoked enough will snap and do feats that they're normally not capable of. I've lifted a kid twice my size off the ground by his collar because he irritated me enough. I've bashed a wall until it dented, caring nothing for my fists. This is, on occasion, healthy. I'm very frustrated with fantasy authors who treat this as "berserking". People do it. Most everyone does. And it is, on occasion, liberating.

And no, having a Goodkindesque rage wherein you are perfectly serene and calm and yet kill people and s**t doesn't count. let there be fire and brimstone and screaming and crying, because, damn it, if I end up snapping and yelling and beating someone up, I cry while I'm doing it because it's just too much.

Oh, and stop denying your characters the chance for anger. Don't have their friends come along and explain everything away until it just simmers down. Give them some time to be purely angry and to do stuff that angry people do.

Righteous anger will also take this form, a hell of a lot more than it will take the form of the calm kid who kills a bunch of people. Righteous anger doesn't sit there like a lump in your stomach. It burns, and not that tame sort of "I am going to go out and kill him" kind of burn. It burns in the way where you imagine every single rock on the ground to be your enemy's face, and you pound it into dust because you feel you ******** deserve it. Righteous anger is also dangerous, something that few people seem to touch on, and fewer seem to do correctly. Righteous anger doesn't just work for the good guys, or for whoever you want to be seen as an avenging angel. It's ugly. It works for whoever believes in something. It works for terrorists, for crazy bastards, and for your hero whose mother has just been killed. And righteous anger doesn't stop where justice stops. Give us a hero whose mother has been killed, so he viciously, ruthlessly, angrily goes to the villain's girlfriend's house and rapes and murders her, leaving a grisly message in her entrails.

Sadness. Ooh, this is a big one.

First item: Stop the SINGLE CRYSTALLINE TEAR bullshit. Everyone does it. It's no longer unique. If your character is the sort who wouldn't cry in public, don't have her cry at all- or have her, shocked, let five tears roll down her face and then flee to somewhere private. Instead, try writing a tragic scene where someone actually sobs until their nose runs and their eyes are puffy and red. Yes, people cry differently. Yes, they react to tragedy differently, and that's precisely the point. As readers, we're tired of single crystalline tears. Really.

Second item: Take note of the stages of grief. I think that's all that needs to be said.

Third item: Decide how your character reacts to a tragic incident and deal with tragic incidents accordingly. Does he or she just look on in silent stoicism? What about with a quiet, seething anger that'll boil out as soon as they leave the site of the tragedy? Or just sorrow? Or a gut-wrenching grief? What about someone with a determination not to let it happen to them, who looks down at his dead pa and says "poor b*****d"? You've got that in your head, now? Good. Now have that character blatantly respond. That doesn't mean a stoic character just looks at the body of his dead father; that means he goes and gets a mop and a bucket and starts to clean the entrails and blood off the floor. Things like that, yes. Don't have characters just feel, have them act.

Love: I am not speaking as someone who has been in a relationship for any length of time, or as anyone with a broad amount of experience. However, I'm speaking as a reader and an observer of high school romance.

Let's put the passion back into it. Let's add characters who aren't just themselves outside of a relationship, but they're themselves inside a relationship too. I don't want to see Mr. Stone McStoic with tears in his eyes as he holds a woman and says that she's the only one who really gets him. Come on! And that fiery woman, the one who knows what she wants and goes out and gets it? When she walks in on her husband in the arms of another woman, let's have her march over to him and demand to know what's going on-- because she loves him and hates Big Misunderstandings.

And I'm not just talking about what happens when they discover love. I mean when they're with their loved ones. Let's not have unsure kisses or tentative romance or stories wherein the most independent of women just sits there and lets her beau run his hands all over her. She knows what she wants? Good, let's have her kiss him, or be forward, or just be passionate about it.

Well, I think heroes and heroines just need to be more outgoing and less passive in general. Oh, sure, when they're fighting a dragon-- oh, wait, dragons are passe-- a DEMON, they can be forward and stab it through the neck, but they don't dare show their emotions, no matter how fiery the author calls them.

Semi-coherent.

I needed this. A lot.
[Flore]

First item: Stop the SINGLE CRYSTALLINE TEAR bullshit. Everyone does it. It's no longer unique. If your character is the sort who wouldn't cry in public, don't have her cry at all- or have her, shocked, let five tears roll down her face and then flee to somewhere private. Instead, try writing a tragic scene where someone actually sobs until their nose runs and their eyes are puffy and red. Yes, people cry differently. Yes, they react to tragedy differently, and that's precisely the point. As readers, we're tired of single crystalline tears. Really.

Second item: Take note of the stages of grief. I think that's all that needs to be said.

Third item: Decide how your character reacts to a tragic incident and deal with tragic incidents accordingly. Does he or she just look on in silent stoicism? What about with a quiet, seething anger that'll boil out as soon as they leave the site of the tragedy? Or just sorrow? Or a gut-wrenching grief? What about someone with a determination not to let it happen to them, who looks down at his dead pa and says "poor b*****d"? You've got that in your head, now? Good. Now have that character blatantly respond. That doesn't mean a stoic character just looks at the body of his dead father; that means he goes and gets a mop and a bucket and starts to clean the entrails and blood off the floor. Things like that, yes. Don't have characters just feel, have them act.

I love you. Seriously. I can't STAND "single crystalline tear" crap. The only time only one tear and no others came down my face was when the air around me was dry, or somone near me was smoking, and my eyes neaded extra moisturizing.
Thought I don't read fantasy, published or not, I agree with where you're coming from.

I'm not sure where all this stems from, if it's a lack of character depth or an inablility to create original characters which leads people to make these sort of bland shadows of real characters, void of all things that gave them dimension. You know? Like, they took a character they liked and sort of raped everything that made that character special and then set up a card board copy...I don't think I'm explaining this well. Someone, just agree with me or wait till I can come back and make this better.
Oh, good God in Heaven, am I glad I'm passed the "single crystalline tear" thing. I just described someone who was crying head as looking like a leaking red water balloon.

Could you give us something to gnaw on about shock, please? And what about gratitude?
KiwiOfDestruction
[Flore]

I love you. Seriously. I can't STAND "single crystalline tear" crap. The only time only one tear and no others came down my face was when the air around me was dry, or somone near me was smoking, and my eyes neaded extra moisturizing.

Additional note about "Crystalline tear" bullshit:

Who the ******** describes tears as crystalline? I mean, really, wouldn't they bring on a feeling of pity or helplessness in those around the crying individual, rather than "Oh, hey, look at the way the light hits that tear! It looks like a crystal!"
heart I love you. All those points were perfectly said, and I can see where you're going with this. I'm perfectly happy with my red faced, sobbing hero, thanks. With his running nose. Thank you VERY much--This should really go into a stickied topic so EVERYONE WOULD STOP DOING THIS.
Do single tears even happen in real life?

Thanks for this. One thing I would like to add, about love. It's not always true. He or she is not always the one. It is not always requited. I am kind of sick of all romances working more or less the same way. People break up or get divorced or never go out in the first place despite attraction at least one way for reasons. I'd like a main character who's crushing badly and the feelings aren't returned. Or a character pity dating who dumps the person later. Something different.

Do you have suggestions, by the way, for panic? I'm wrestling with that at the moment.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Very nice!

I think a lot of fantasy characters are lacking in some basic common sense and doubt as well. I don't think I've ever seen it overdone, exception to Tanis of Dragonlance, who is mired in angst and doubt and not much of anything else. xp

Why is it that characters either cry one tear or go through debilitating depression? I'd really, really like to know that.

Muusu's Honey Bun

Fashionable Bunny

26,200 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
Great points.

If I may add to the love part:

As someone involved in a relationship, love is less glamorous than the portrayal it has in novels. Passion, understanding, deep energy giving feeling are all part of love, just not all the time. There's petty squabbling, sometimes a need for affection, a need for space, or just a need to get things done and ignore the whole love thing.

I want to see different conceptions of romantic love, because it's much more complex than two people falling in love. I want to see affairs that flare hot and intense while they last but then fizzle out. I want to see friendships on fire, love built on common ground. I want to see platonic love.

The typical love at first sight, or the 'destined to love', I'd like to see fizzle out, or one of the participants choosing to reject that destiny.

On a different note: I'd like to see more relationships of convenience, where the people have to grow to care for each other, especially considering how many times the main protagonist will move up in their society through who they fall in love with. Why can't that be a good motivation for a relationship?

Why not question the motivation for two people falling in love. I'm sick of people falling in love with beauty, or because they're kind, or because they're so aloof that someone just has to get into their heart. People don't fall in love randomly. They fall in love because they feel good with that person. They feel relaxed, or excited, or happy, or a combination. People pursue romance for their own needs, their own egos, or just to be warm at night. "True love" doesn't belong to one template.
Wow, that's an amazing point. Personally, I love it when I come across a character saying, "Oh, hell!" I love that little burst of emotion. whee
Kudos to Flore!
Personally, I love a character who constantly flies off the handle when push comes to shove. Or, when a normally calm and easy-going character snaps after enough little pushes - maybe because it seems especially realistic to me, as I tend to be like that.

Either way, love what you have to say. Nice post. mrgreen
Passion is for nubs.

But seriously, that's very true. Characters need real emotion, not some held in crap.
I add my kudos to the ever growing stack!

Yeah, I usually have my characters scream and throw things when they're angry, they do not handle anger very well- it's more fun to read, and more fun to write biggrin
Rolaran
I add my kudos to the ever growing stack!
Nah... it's more of a 'steaming pile'. xd
I'm not sure why that makes me giggle like a two-year-old...^^"

[i]Marianna looked at Decinde, looked at the entrails he held up to her in a bloody offering and, worst of all, the head that stared at her with empty eyesockets, its tongue cut out and nailed to its forehead.

She staggered backwards. "Oh... God," Marianna whispered, crossing herself, "oh god in the heavens."

Decinde dumped the collected organs of her lover on the floor in front of her, wordless, then turned to leave with a flash of white teeth in the dusk. Marianna managed a word out of her mouth as a single crystalline tear slipped down her face.

"Why?" Her voice was quiet, quavering in the deepening darkness
grpv6zo2:0="

[i]Marianna looked at Decinde, looked at the entrails he held up to her in a bloody offering and, worst of all, the head that stared at her with empty eyesockets, its tongue cut out and nailed to its forehead.

"Why?" Her voice was quiet, quavering in the deepening darkness.

Yes, I have to admit, if I was confronted with the internal organs of my lover like that, my response would not be a simple "why?".

It would be more like an
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Speaking of which, I might add that fear is also a very powerful emotion, and one that could use a bit more representation. Even if your hero/heroine commits a "brave deed" of some sort, they can be terrified of doing it. The brave part, after all, is that you overcame your fear, not that you were without fear to begin with (sorry for the intense corny-ness of that statement).

But...thank you SO much for this thread. It was inspiring. I'm off to go put your advice in action.

heart -Lyra

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces