Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you agree with this topic?

I agree with this topic 0.65892714171337 65.9% [ 823 ]
I disagree, and I am going to state my reasons why. 0.053642914331465 5.4% [ 67 ]
I disagree and will froth at the mouth while sputtering incoherently. 0.072858286629303 7.3% [ 91 ]
what. 0.21457165732586 21.5% [ 268 ]
Total Votes:[ 1249 ]
1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 >

User Image

So, you want to write a story about two twins who fall in love because they are that close.

Or you want to write a story about a girl committing suicide.

Or you want to write a story about a girl who finds out she's a princess from another land.

Okay, that's all well and good, but if you want to run an idea by me, I'm going to look at it, throw it in your face, and tell you to stop pimping your plot out and write the damn thing.

Why? Here.

1. The more agonizing you do over your idea, the less it means to you in the end. So maybe you're so insecure, and you're about to pore through your notebooks of writing while listening to Bright Eyes and trying not to drop tears on your scribbled fragments of ideas. You know what? The more you keep worrying about what other people think of your ideas, the more difficult you're going to find it to actually write your story.

Writing, as horrible and trite as it sounds, comes from the heart. Now, this isn't an excuse to write about whatever and pass off criticism because it's your writing and therefore is the purest vessel of emotion, but it is a reason not to let anyone n** you in the bud of some writing. Even if you're writing a horrible suicide-poetry about how your boyfriend broke up with you and you're so sad, it's going to have some emotion in it. By the gods, it'll lose whatever value it has when you try to change the basic concept away from something that holds meaning to you. And it's damn hard to write something you're not invested in.

So let your ideas grow and change; don't let people mold your ideas for you. That way they're still yours, and they get that distinct personal flavor to them.

2. You doom yourself to failure whenever you're willing look at an idea and say 'i'm going to scrap this completely." Let me let you in on one of my little theories. It goes like this: whenever we get an idea, it sucks at first. It's boring, or flat, or just needs more work put into it. Part of the common progression of stories is to allow them to grow. So maybe you got this idea about a half-demon and how he finds true love despite being stone-cold. And? What, you think this can't be salvaged? Damn right it can be. Having standards for your own ideas is good. Recognizing what you'll kill yourself before you'll write is also good. But when you take this lovingly crafted idea, no matter how cliche, and are completely willing to dump it in the garbage disposal and never look back? That's when you're losing some of your most brilliant ideas. Hell, take that half-demon and stick him in your Big Red Notebook Full of Snippets. Pull him back out when you think that, by golly, he might be good for something.

No idea is worthless. Except for that one.

3. An idea becomes original when you write it in depth. Hey, guess what? You want to turn that idea into something better and cool? How about you write it down? In the writing process, you get more familiar with those shiny new ideas. You know what that means? That-- gasp-- you begin to be able to develop them. It's not in the overall concepts or in the abstracts that things are unique. It's in the details and the execution and the way things fit together. It's in how you weave them into the stories we've heard before and how deftly you can put realistic spins so that it reads fresh and new and interesting.

4. Ideas by themselves are not original, and having them in your writing is equally not a guarantee of anything unique. You are not the first person to have thought of twincest. You are not the first person to have thought of a goth boy who is so alone who leaves this horrible, cruel life. You are also not the first person to have thought of whatever pretty, shiny new idea you have. The next time you try to poke something into a story and giggle coyly behind your authorial hand as if you have just created Adam and Eve, I hope to God that someone catches you and smacks some sense into you. You can't just present that shiny "new" concept and nudge and wink at the audience as if we're expected to fall all over you with the adoration of a million fans.

Yes, this means you have to develop things and write them realistically. Oh, the horror. Shock factor and pretty, twee little "tweaks" cannot substitute for characterization, good development, and well-crafted plotting. I feel this needs reiteration: You are not the first person to have thought of your idea. You cannot present it to us and have us still be shocked and surprised and not care if your writing is a steamy pile of crap.

What hopefully seperates you from the first person to think of that idea is that you're willing to carry it through and invest the time it takes.

Aren't you?
Ok...so, you want people to reply with what? I finally managed to read through your post, but believe me, it's difficult to get through with someone who sounds as if they have absolutely no respect for me. I'm not disagreeing with what you have to say. Actually, I think more people should try to understand the message you're giving. However, I don't think people are going to do that unless you stop writing them off as if they *might* not already know this or as though they are a bunch of stuck-up ll year olds.

...thanks for your time.
Wow - I can't believe you managed to offend people just by making a single post.

I mean, you two kids, you read it and realise she's talking about you? She's talking about people LIKE those described in the post - you realise that you're like them, that's your problem not hers.

I agree with every word in the post. I'm sick of seeing "Here's my idea" threads. Who the hell cares? Everyone's got great ideas, but only some are capale of writing them down. Best to get on with trying to do that than asking if people like your idea - because, let's face it, people who ask if others like their idea are just looking for some sycophantic love and hugs from random strangers.
heart

The "do you like my plot" trend in the WF is one of my biggest beefs with this forum. People need to realize that if you dumb down any book's plot to the barest essentials, it'll be cliche. Any of them. The important - and interesting - part of a story is the details, and they're what makes a story unique, so people need to stop working themselves up over the fact that their "guy meets girl and they fall in love" plot isn't exactly original. No one gives a damn. One of the best examples of this is Brian Jacques' Redwall series, which is more than, what, ten books? They all follow pretty much exactly the same formula, but they're still bestsellers.

People really need to get over themselves, stop fishing for compliments on their "wowsoincredibleplot", and just write the freaking thing.
You can't see me, but right now I am applauding.

With my hands.

And feet.

SIMULTANEOUSLY.
*appluads a little bit* good post.
Oxxidation.5

With my hands.

And feet.

SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Oh man, I'd pay to see that.

SeNa: I've found that being an arrogant p***k tends to stir more argumentation, which makes for more interesting threads. Do you want me to compromise who I am in order to fit into your standards of decency?!?!?!?!
Yeah, I never saw the point of those "what do u think of mah plot" type threads...I mean, are they afraid that someone's going to see their plot idea, say "I HATE IT! BAD!" and that that automatically means their story is doomed from there on? You're always going to have critics, after all, and letting them get you down- before you've even started- is not going to be good if you want to be, you know, an actual writer.
Quote:
So, you want to write a story about two twins who fall in love because they are that close.

Or you want to write a story about a girl committing suicide.

Or you want to write a story about a girl who finds out she's a princess from another land.

Okay, that's all well and good, but if you want to run an idea by me, I'm going to look at it, throw it in your face, and tell you to stop pimping your plot out and write the damn thing.

Why? Here.

1. The more agonizing you do over your idea, the less it means to you in the end. So maybe you're so insecure, and you're about to pore through your notebooks of writing while listening to Bright Eyes and trying not to drop tears on your scribbled fragments of ideas. You know what? The more you keep worrying about what other people think of your ideas, the more difficult you're going to find it to actually write your story.

Writing, as horrible and trite as it sounds, comes from the heart. Now, this isn't an excuse to write about whatever and pass off criticism because it's your writing and therefore is the purest vessel of emotion, but it is a reason not to let anyone n** you in the bud of some writing. Even if you're writing a horrible suicide-poetry about how your boyfriend broke up with you and you're so sad, it's going to have some emotion in it. By the gods, it'll lose whatever value it has when you try to change the basic concept away from something that holds meaning to you. And it's damn hard to write something you're not invested in.

So let your ideas grow and change; don't let people mold your ideas for you. That way they're still yours, and they get that distinct personal flavor to them.

2. You doom yourself to failure whenever you're willing look at an idea and say 'i'm going to scrap this completely." Let me let you in on one of my little theories. It goes like this: whenever we get an idea, it sucks at first. It's boring, or flat, or just needs more work put into it. Part of the common progression of stories is to allow them to grow. So maybe you got this idea about a half-demon and how he finds true love despite being stone-cold. And? What, you think this can't be salvaged? Damn right it can be. Having standards for your own ideas is good. Recognizing what you'll kill yourself before you'll write is also good. But when you take this lovingly crafted idea, no matter how cliche, and are completely willing to dump it in the garbage disposal and never look back? That's when you're losing some of your most brilliant ideas. Hell, take that half-demon and stick him in your Big Red Notebook Full of Snippets. Pull him back out when you think that, by golly, he might be good for something.

No idea is worthless. Except for that one.

3. An idea becomes original when you write it in depth. Hey, guess what? You want to turn that idea into something better and cool? How about you write it down? In the writing process, you get more familiar with those shiny new ideas. You know what that means? That-- gasp-- you begin to be able to develop them. It's not in the overall concepts or in the abstracts that things are unique. It's in the details and the execution and the way things fit together. It's in how you weave them into the stories we've heard before and how deftly you can put realistic spins so that it reads fresh and new and interesting.

4. Ideas by themselves are not original, and having them in your writing is equally not a guarantee of anything unique. You are not the first person to have thought of twincest. You are not the first person to have thought of a goth boy who is so alone who leaves this horrible, cruel life. You are also not the first person to have thought of whatever pretty, shiny new idea you have. The next time you try to poke something into a story and giggle coyly behind your authorial hand as if you have just created Adam and Eve, I hope to God that someone catches you and smacks some sense into you. You can't just present that shiny new concept and nudge and wink at the audience as if we're expected to fall all over you with the adoration of a million fans.

Yes, this means you have to develop things and write them realistically. Oh, the horror. Shock factor and pretty, twee little "tweaks" cannot substitute for characterization, good development, and well-crafted plotting. I feel this needs reiteration: You are not the first person to have thought of your idea. You cannot present it to us and have us still be shocked and surprised and not care if your writing is a steamy pile of crap.

What hopefully seperates you from the first person to think of that idea is that you're willing to carry it through and invest the time it takes.

Aren't you?

Ah well arent you nice! When people express their oppinions, you dont throw it in their faces! Their opinions are important. Not only that but when a friend shows you a story, do you literally throw it in your faces? If you do its not a very good thing. Youve hurt their individuality, their spark for imagination, you just put it out. Why would you do that?
I'm willing to start a betting pool to see just how many "Wat do u think of mah plot?" threads materialize into an actual story, crappy or not.
To Amarin:

Wimp.

WIMPY-WIMPY-WIMPY.

Now that my crushing - and mature - statement of your character has been delivered, I'm off.
Veive
Oxxidation.5

With my hands.

And feet.

SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Oh man, I'd pay to see that.

SeNa: I've found that being an arrogant p***k tends to stir more argumentation, which makes for more interesting threads. Do you want me to compromise who I am in order to fit into your standards of decency?!?!?!?!

I'm sorry, I didn't think I was being so unbelievably rude that you need to 'shout' at me. I thought I was being fairly polite but oh well, I suppose some people are just sensitive.

And I didn't realize that you WANTED argumentation, and if that's the case, why are you getting angry with me? And honestly, they aren't just my standards of decency. Alot of people like to feel respected. It's a people thing.

And by the way, Aithne, you seriously shouldn't call me a little kid. I don't care what you know about me, but I never once stated she was talking directly to me. I don't post 'read my ideas and praise me' threads, and I try to help out other writers. That was precisely why I posted what I did. Not only myself, but OTHER people, you know, the ones the first post is really aimed for, really don't like to be talked to that way. Ok, so maybe some people out there need to get over themselves, but telling them off this way isn't going to make it happen. Really...they don't listen stare
Oxxidation.5
To Amarin:

Wimp.

WIMPY-WIMPY-WIMPY.

Now that my crushing - and mature - statement of your character has been delivered, I'm off.

Because that wasn't EXTREMELY uncalled for...jerk.
SeNalove
Oxxidation.5
To Amarin:

Wimp.

WIMPY-WIMPY-WIMPY.

Because that wasn't EXTREMELY uncalled for...jerk.

You're a wimp, too. =P

If you sorry sumbitches don't have the spinal fortitude to accept an opinion that runs contrary to your dewy view of the world, then shuddap and shove off.

Or you could just continue to parade your ignorance. I need to sharpen my teeth.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff