Welcome to Gaia! ::

I remember this thread fondly from the Fantasy board on the NaNo WriMo forum. Come on, there have to be some people out there who were with me...

I have no idea if anybody's going to use this. The gist of the thread was that people would post totally ridiculous things as ideas to use in fantasy stories, and people could post if they took them. Really, it's just a time-killer, but I actually used a few of them seriously. It's usually best for comedy, because most of them can't be taken seriously at all unless you're really good.

So, let's start the daring. I have a few from the NaNo WriMo forum:

Have a vampire that's afraid of the dark.

When making magic that's based on the elements, have one of them be cheese or dandruff.

So, you get the idea. Why not? It's not like we've anything better to do, except actual writing, but according to the Shat on your Hat! thread, nobody on here really does a whole lot of that.
I dare:

When using Elements, make them real. Not water, but Hydrogen. Oxygen. Uranium.
Oy, the vampire one was miiiiine!!

Have a reverse schizophrenic. Example: when they walk in the room, everyone can hear what he's thinking.

Have a character named Algernon.

That's all I can remember from the NaNo forum.
Oh, I have so many of these!

I actually compiled them all into a thread on a club forum. heart

Here, I'll give you some of them. they're just random bits of ideas that I'm never going to use...

Quote:
- The hero who's saving the world to earn the love of a girl- in a completely non-touching and creepy way. Bonus points for the girl not liking him, thinking he's a creep, and still not liking him at the end of the story. I mean, come on, think of the person you'd least like to be around. What happens if they save the world for YOU?! Yeah, I'd imagine I'd be pretty pissed off.

- A mix of fantasy/scifi and the old-fashioned gangster film (a la the public enemy).

- Screw that, a sci fi/fantasy story about a doctor. JUST a doctor. And all of the quirky injuries he has to deal with.

-An antihero who does abhorrent things, like emotionally abuse his dependents, or cheat on his wife, or mutilate the dead, but still has heroic qualities. We need more antiheroes that, while maybe not being RAPISTS or other terrible things, aren't your normal hero with angst and a monochrome wardrobe.

-Villains who are not only smart, but realize that there are more subtle ways than death to eliminate potential hazards (hamstring that exceedingly talented warrior).

-Telepathy treated with enough scope to make for "dreamscape conflicts" or at least given the weight of a cyberpunk setting. If you really think about it, telepathy can easily be connected to HACKING SOMEONE'S BRAIN.

-Hell, a society so focused around telepathy that their muscles have all atrophied, and you form your kingdoms by bending the wills of everyone else- size is dependent on how far your mind can reach. And they've got the grunts, the people with little or no telepathic power, forced into mind-servitude and administering nourishment through IVs, as well as doing all the manual labor just to prop up such a society.

-classical "high fantasy" set in the desert. Among the Bedouins. Wherein every character is of the tribe. I almost had this, but then I changed it. Oh, and no, it can't be about the women's struggle for FREEDOM.

-A main character who isn't special due to what he or she is. A main character with no destiny, no special powers, but who just sees that the world is suffering and sets out to do what he or she can. Someone who even suffers from insecurity because he or she isn't the classical hero or heroine- she doesn't have ancestors, he doesn't have a destiny given by some old mentor. The main character's journey as they struggle to just make the world better in whatever way they can, and the people they meet along the way and how they interact...

-More characters who have PTSD.

-And a bunch o' elves that are very much the fashionistas. I mean, if you think about it, generic Elvish society works the absolute BEST for fashion trendsing. Can't you imagine a modern-day city with elves as clothing designers? They've seen all the trends! They know what things look like! They know when things come into style!

-Ye Olde "DESTINY AND CHOSEN ONES" plot, only the chosen ones aren't picked to save the world-- they're just raised special from an early age and let run amok. Nobody knows what his or her own destiny is, the characters react just like people do, and there's no black and white conflict-- just a bunch of people deemed more important than the rest of society suffering conflicts amongst themselves and clashes of opinion.

Bonus points for not having any of them go fully insane/wanting to PURGE the WORLD.

-Ye olde 'clash between good and evil' story that focuses on normal people trying to deal and make a recovery. Screw the heroes, I want to hear about the court who's struggling to deal with the political repurcussions, or the lower class whose homes have been destroyed, or the rare refugees.

And if there are any of these in published fiction, I'd love you to direct me. heart
When writing about elves, do not make them Tolkein-esque elves, but have them live inside trees and make cookies.
Sallen Riddle
I dare:

When using Elements, make them real. Not water, but Hydrogen. Oxygen. Uranium.

I started a story like that the other day. rofl
A fashionista hero. Or a flamboyant but straight courtier.

A female character who shows her strength through working hard to make a life for herself as a single mother

A romance that involves a male virgin and a female who's had sex several times before (and the female is not viewed as a slut or a whore or easily misguided).
"-Telepathy treated with enough scope to make for "dreamscape conflicts" or at least given the weight of a cyberpunk setting. If you really think about it, telepathy can easily be connected to HACKING SOMEONE'S BRAIN. "

Oo, I have a charatcer like that whee Well, he's not telepathic, but he can make people see whatever he wants them to see (a bit ironic, because he's blind.) He makes people see/hear/feel things such as rooms pulsing in and out like a heart, the sun exploding, lights flashing on and off, a HUGE CREEPY WTF MONSTER THINGS whee

When I was younger, I wanted to make a story where the main male character doesn't "get" the girl. She falls in love with the villain, the villain falls in love with her, and they have a nice happy life. 3nodding
Ahiko
"-Telepathy treated with enough scope to make for "dreamscape conflicts" or at least given the weight of a cyberpunk setting. If you really think about it, telepathy can easily be connected to HACKING SOMEONE'S BRAIN. "

Oo, I have a charatcer like that whee Well, he's not telepathic, but he can make people see whatever he wants them to see (a bit ironic, because he's blind.) He makes people see/hear/feel things such as rooms pulsing in and out like a heart, the sun exploding, lights flashing on and off, a HUGE CREEPY WTF MONSTER THINGS whee

Wow, that sounds really neat!
I actually have a vampire character that's not only afraid of the dark, but also has an allergic reaction to blood xd

I dare you to:

~Make your main character a total Jack a**, and I mean in everyway.

~Or~

~Give the one important secret that would save them all to an insignificant party member who is a mute and unable to sign, write or act very well.

~Or~

~Give everyone one of your characters a subtle, but still noticeable, mental disorder.
[Flore]
Oh, I have so many of these!

I actually compiled them all into a thread on a club forum. heart

Here, I'll give you some of them. they're just random bits of ideas that I'm never going to use...

Quote:
- The hero who's saving the world to earn the love of a girl- in a completely non-touching and creepy way. Bonus points for the girl not liking him, thinking he's a creep, and still not liking him at the end of the story. I mean, come on, think of the person you'd least like to be around. What happens if they save the world for YOU?! Yeah, I'd imagine I'd be pretty pissed off.

- A mix of fantasy/scifi and the old-fashioned gangster film (a la the public enemy).

- Screw that, a sci fi/fantasy story about a doctor. JUST a doctor. And all of the quirky injuries he has to deal with.

-An antihero who does abhorrent things, like emotionally abuse his dependents, or cheat on his wife, or mutilate the dead, but still has heroic qualities. We need more antiheroes that, while maybe not being RAPISTS or other terrible things, aren't your normal hero with angst and a monochrome wardrobe.

-Villains who are not only smart, but realize that there are more subtle ways than death to eliminate potential hazards (hamstring that exceedingly talented warrior).

-Telepathy treated with enough scope to make for "dreamscape conflicts" or at least given the weight of a cyberpunk setting. If you really think about it, telepathy can easily be connected to HACKING SOMEONE'S BRAIN.

-Hell, a society so focused around telepathy that their muscles have all atrophied, and you form your kingdoms by bending the wills of everyone else- size is dependent on how far your mind can reach. And they've got the grunts, the people with little or no telepathic power, forced into mind-servitude and administering nourishment through IVs, as well as doing all the manual labor just to prop up such a society.

-classical "high fantasy" set in the desert. Among the Bedouins. Wherein every character is of the tribe. I almost had this, but then I changed it. Oh, and no, it can't be about the women's struggle for FREEDOM.

-A main character who isn't special due to what he or she is. A main character with no destiny, no special powers, but who just sees that the world is suffering and sets out to do what he or she can. Someone who even suffers from insecurity because he or she isn't the classical hero or heroine- she doesn't have ancestors, he doesn't have a destiny given by some old mentor. The main character's journey as they struggle to just make the world better in whatever way they can, and the people they meet along the way and how they interact...

-More characters who have PTSD.

-And a bunch o' elves that are very much the fashionistas. I mean, if you think about it, generic Elvish society works the absolute BEST for fashion trendsing. Can't you imagine a modern-day city with elves as clothing designers? They've seen all the trends! They know what things look like! They know when things come into style!

-Ye Olde "DESTINY AND CHOSEN ONES" plot, only the chosen ones aren't picked to save the world-- they're just raised special from an early age and let run amok. Nobody knows what his or her own destiny is, the characters react just like people do, and there's no black and white conflict-- just a bunch of people deemed more important than the rest of society suffering conflicts amongst themselves and clashes of opinion.

Bonus points for not having any of them go fully insane/wanting to PURGE the WORLD.

-Ye olde 'clash between good and evil' story that focuses on normal people trying to deal and make a recovery. Screw the heroes, I want to hear about the court who's struggling to deal with the political repurcussions, or the lower class whose homes have been destroyed, or the rare refugees.

And if there are any of these in published fiction, I'd love you to direct me. heart

Lots of these are pretty good ideas. Yeah, I'd like to see someone do a Ye Olde Chosen One plot in a good way. I've NEVER seen it done well. It works for video games, but not so well for stories. I wouldn't try it myself. sweatdrop But I am making my characters normal. As in there's nothing special about them, and they're not heroes. Just people going through the same thing many around them are.

Oh, here's one, which I'm sure is nearly impossible.

Write a fantasy story with absolutely NO cliches or archetypes. That includes magic, folks. Do something entirely different from EVERYTHING. Which is kind of impossible. But would be fun to try. whee
Instead of sending a sexy female to seduce any character, send in a fat, unbathed otaku male. And he must succeed in his seduction.
Ambura Mancer
...but also has an allergic reaction to blood

That was also very close to another one of mine.
Mine was to-

Have a vampire who's hemophobic
~Double points if he constantly passes out either from drinking blood or not having enough

Have a vampire who's afraid of the dark

Those were my vampire ones.
Make your heroine a catgirl...who is +45 years old, and looks it.
Make your MC a gnome. A grumpy old gnome who eternally smell of old socks--and everyone he meets comments on this fact.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff